Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Spitfire!

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2017

Sister in law went up in tiger moth other day don't know how much that cost though but bet that's good as well

My first ever flight was in 1957(aged9) in my brother in laws Tiger Moth.....he was a member of Lincoln Aero Club (later to become chairman), and we took off and landed at Scampton of all places, where the Dambusters launched there legendary raid from. Remember it like it was yesterday.
    He was exRAF and he has been up in a Lancaster.
    He died a few years back and he was my favourite relative.....God bless you Colin my dear friend.
    Great post mate.
    As you and others may know, the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight operates out of RAF Coningsby, also in Lincs. They have a visitor centre there and it's well worth a visit if up that way:

https://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/

• Options
    Greenie said:

Saga Lout said:

Saga Lout said:

My cousin volunteers there and got taken up in the two seater as a surprise last year. Said it was fantastic.

If ever I win the lottery, it's the first thing I'm treating myself to (flights start at around £3k)

Is your cousin Paul Campbell?
    No mate
    Would've been an amazing coincidence - Paul used to volunteer there - he now runs all the tours and is a paid employee (oh, and he's a mate of mine).

we live 200M up the road from the National Memorial to The Few and are lucky enough to see Spitfires etc flying over every week and sometimes daily. Wing dips over the bungalow barrel rolls etc

Could they be repro's?
    There aren't that many originals around.....and I somehow doubt they would be playing around doing aerobatics etc if they were.
    There are also a number of two third size kit versions around too.
    Not doubting what you say and it must be great to see them but just wondering if they are originals?
    There's more flying than you probably realise (well over 50) and more are being restored to flying condition.

At least one of the companies that offer flights go over the memorial as part of the experience so would imagine they're real.
    The guy that Saga mentions is a mate of both of us, he works at the Biggin Hill hanger, they recently took delivery of a ME109, one of the very few flying in the world, most in the films were Me108s. Its close to airworthiness and they have plans to include it in the tariff of flights in the two seater Spitfire in as far as they want to offer punters a chance to be involved in a 30 minute flight and dog fight between a Spit and Me109.....BUT...it wont be cheap....they've just got to convince the insurance company.....

There are approx 55 spits and hurricanes flying at the moment many more being restored. There are two Lancasters flying and the people own UK one is hoping to offer flights in the Lanc as soon as insurance can be sorted.

In both cases they adopt the same insurance waiver as when you go bungee jumping or tandem skydiving.

I consider myself very lucky Ive visited the hanger and sat in a couple of Spits and also have part of a wing spar of a Spit that crashed nr Dymchuch during the BOB, also every clear spring and summer weekend, Spits fly over my house and during the airshow season the Lanc has been over many times, accompanied by a Hurricane and Spitfire. The Merlin engine is one of the greatest sounds ever.
    There is another Lancaster based in Lincolnshire that can currently taxi and there are plans to return it to the air.

According to Wiki, there are approx. 55 Spits (plus a few Seafires) and 12 Hurricanes currently flying.
  • Options
    I was at The Carpenters Arms in Tonbridge for a family birthday meal yesterday afternoon and a Spit flew over a few times. Having learned about WW2 at school this year, my daughter was just as excited as I was to see it, which was nice to see.
  • Options
    BBC World service has an 11 episode series about the Spitfire.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w13xtv79/episodes/downloads
  • Options
    All going to be renamed Maskfire now after a campaign by the Covid Lives Matter mob. 
  • Options
    BBC World service has an 11 episode series about the Spitfire.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w13xtv79/episodes/downloads
    I’m surprised they found enough about me for 11 episodes but I deny everything!
  • Options
    Was part of a charity classic car display at Coolings Nursery in Knockholt this afternoon and 2 Spits did a flypast together. Highlight of the day.