Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

north korea bomb testing

thoughts?

just heard a brief mention of this on the radio, don't know much about it, but just heard george bush condemning it. apparently all other countries were against it, but why is bush the only one who's broadcast speaking about it?

its as if he's the mouthpiece for the world!!!

Comments

• Historically the Yank President of the time deflects the problems faced domestically by bringing the worlds attention to something further afield. Things must be bad in the US at the mo then.
  • its worrying.

Not just the fact that North Korea seems determined to continue its nuclear programme, but more the fact the likelihood of who they would possibly sell the potential weapons to.

I'm not generally a scaremonger, but I've no doubt that something major will happen in this world in the next ten years that will make 9/11 and the London bombings seem like small fry, and i'm pretty sure it will involve nuclear warfare.
  • It always puzzles me how the Yanks always take such a high ground on other countries developing nukes. Yes, we want a nuke-free world, but arent they highly hypocritical seeing as the only nation to use nukes in anger is the US themselves?
  • [cite] AFKA Bartram:[/cite]its worrying.

Not just the fact that North Korea seems determined to continue its nuclear programme, but more the fact the likelihood of who they would possibly sell the potential weapons to.

I'm not generally a scaremonger, but I've no doubt that something major will happen in this world in the next ten years that will make 9/11 and the London bombings seem like small fry, and i'm pretty sure it will involve nuclear warfare.

Sadly, I make you right there. Not a nice thought at all.
  • out of interest, Russia is believed to have eighty times the nuclear warfare capability of the UK.
  • edited October 2006
    Who's seen Team America? The Kim Jong Il puppet is hilarious - "With these weapons inspections you're really busting my balls Hans Blix"
  • Team America, brilliant film, Hans Blix meets a very untidy end though does he not ripped to pieces by a shark. Don't they slaughter Matt Damon in it as well !
  • MMMMMMaaaaaaaaATTTTTTT Damin MMMMMMaaaaaaaaATTTTTTT Damin

MMMMMMaaaaaaaaATTTTTTT Damin MMMMMMaaaaaaaaATTTTTTT Damin

Its all he could say! Class

Durk durk
  • Medders, you're not wrong.

The whole thing is based on twisted logic. It's a race to the bottom and we're all going to lose. A quote from our very own John Reid on the future of Britain's Trident Nuclear weapons programme: "I defy anyone here to say we will not need a nuclear weapon in 20 to 50 years time. We have always maintained that as long as some other nuclear state which is a potential threat has nuclear weapons we will retain ours. That is the assumption from which we start but it has to be tested in discussions with others and it will be".

I'm sure that's the kind of logic that drives N. Korea et al in this race to the bottom (We need 'em cos you 'ave 'em. If you've got them, why can't we?), and if AFKA's right, we're all doooommmmmmmmeeed!

Time to build a Charlton Life: Bunker, the next project after Operation Cottage and The Valley Tour... Gawd help us!
  • It is a worry and North Korea have said they will stop when America do so I fully understand where they are coming from, sort of. I mean who are America to preach to these countries when they ARE doing exactly the same and always will with the Bush family Dynasty in charge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not just the fact that North Korea seems determined to continue its nuclear programme, but more the fact the likelihood of who they would possibly sell the potential weapons to.

It's who sold THEM the technology in the first place, not the other way around.

The US had the opportunity to engage in constructive talks with North Korea when the August 2005 outline deal was signed. They deliberately failed to take it - and continued parallel pressure on North Korea by pursuing their money-laundering allegations and racheting-up the military tension via their regular exercises with South Korea. Nations get the A bomb not to go to war with other nations but to defend themselves against those who have it already.

The US negotiators knew full well that the North Koreans would see these issues as provocative and threatening.....but hoped/thought that this would force the North Koreans into capitulation and negotiating from a position of extreme weakness. As most rational people would expect of an extremely weak but sovereign nation, when pushed into a corner and repeatedly kicked by the strongest global superpower, they have now lashed out in response to this excessive pressure with the nuclear test.

Nobody but the most credulous and stupid people can possibly think that North Korea has - or ever will have - the technology to deliver a nuclear warhead to the US mainland [and why would they wish to - when it is 100% certain that the response would obliterate them?]. However, those who are really in the firing line in this dispute [South Korea, China and Japan] are making a big mistake by letting the US neocon agenda continue to have undue influence on their relations with North Korea.

IMO the only way for there to be progress on the nuclear issue is for the USA to butt out of the entire process and leave it to South Korea, China and Japan to come to an agreement with North Korea. There is no obligation on the USA to involve itself in every single global dispute - and, in the case of North Korea, there is no shortage of very responsible global powers who have a keen interest in resolving the nuclear issue [the six-way talks included Russia, China and Japan] on the Korean peninsula.

The USA has actually been a very large part of the problem - and now's the time for them to butt right out of negotiations and allow the others to reach a solution. The US has no business in interfering in South-East Asia, and is only there trying to hang on to its historical World War Two position of influence because of pure self-interest, which just happens to be diametrically opposed to what is actually in the interests of the region itself - and the rest of the world.
  • would it be fair to say BFR that you are always likely to hold an anti-US view in all types of these discussions ?
  • would it be fair to say BFR that you are always likely to hold an anti-US view in all types of these discussions ?

Don't confuse anti-Bush with US they are different entities. Learn to appreciate the difference then we'll continue the debate.
  • [cite] BlackForestReds:[/cite]Learn to appreciate the difference then we'll continue the debate.

oh dear!
  • [cite] BlackForestReds:[/cite] Learn to appreciate the difference then we'll continue the debate.

LOL

Ok, will do.

BUt don't hold your breath.

If that's a debate, then i really don't want a lecture :-)
  • Thing about the yanks particularly under Bush, is that they do stuff that is downright wrong/highly questionable - like guantanamo bay, etc - which makes anything they do that might have something good about it - like trying to prevent the spread of weapons of mass destruction - seem like double standards.
  • Kim Jong Il: Hans Brix? Oh no! Oh, herro. Great to see you again, Hans!
    Hans Blix: Mr. Il, I was supposed to be allowed to inspect your palace today, but your guards won't let me enter certain areas.
    Kim Jong Il: Hans, Hans, Hans! We've been frew this a dozen times. I don't have any weapons of mass destwuction, OK Hans?
    Hans Blix: Then let me look around, so I can ease the UN's collective mind. I'm sorry, but the UN must be firm with you. Let me in, or else.
    Kim Jong Il: Or else what?
    Hans Blix: Or else we will be very angry with you... and we will write you a letter, telling you how angry we are.
    Kim Jong Il: OK, Hans. I'll show you. Stand to your reft
  • very worriying. North Korea hold all the cards i mean what can any other countries do? They are largely independant so economic and trading sanctions won't matter to much and Bush etc can't threaten them with force as they hold this nuclear weapon.
  • It's looking more grim...... latest from Sky News:

"North Korea says increased US pressure to end it's nuclear programme will be regarded as a 'declaration of war', the Assosciated Press reports."
  • Sponsored links:

• Ut -Oh...............
  • Cracking headline on the front page of The Sun yesterday.

HOW DO YOU SOLVE A PROBLEM LIKE KOREA!

Well it made me chuckle.
  • the sun headline was brilliant, as was the one inside 'bad korea move'

the only well korea will play bull is if China gets tough with them, and though they may issue a few hollow words, i can't see that happening.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]. Learn to appreciate the difference then we'll continue the debate.

Good to see you've always been a total knobend.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]. Learn to appreciate the difference then we'll continue the debate.

Good to see you've always been a total knobend.
    Why is that? It's a good point BFR makes, there's a world of difference between a country and its president.
  • strange that north korea doings cause outrage but america and the tiny country of israel can have as many weapons of mass destruction as they want.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]

Why is that? It's a good point BFR makes, there's a world of difference between a country and its president.

It has nothing to do with the 'point' he was making, more to do with the way he said it. "Learn to appreciate the difference then we'll continue the debate" These are other adults he's talking to.
  • Yeah fair enough. I can see how that looks condescending. Still think it's a good point though.
  • Torpedos running Captain...

...and I don't mean in North Korea either.