Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Munich shooting

Comments

• Options
    During mass I hope lucifer is raping the shit out of the two cnuts at that church this morning, they will get what they are trying to achieve attacks on non insane Muslims by by people driven by hatred and fear

It's so predictable and truely sad
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    What probably scares me most is the fact that I have rapidly become de-sensitised to this.

It is terrible for the victims, but whereas a year ago I'd have been on the news channels absorbing all the info around the story, I now find myself barely registering it.

The world truly is a fucked up place at the moment. Has to be only a matter of time before this happens on out own doorstep again. Just amazed it hasn't already.
  • Options

What probably scares me most is the fact that I have rapidly become de-sensitised to this.

It is terrible for the victims, but whereas a year ago I'd have been on the news channels absorbing all the info around the story, I now find myself barely registering it.

The world truly is a fucked up place at the moment. Has to be only a matter of time before this happens on out own doorstep again. Just amazed it hasn't already.

Probably because our security service do a better job than we think/give them credit for.
    You can but hope.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Probably because our security service do a better job than we think/give them credit for.
    I saw an interesting infographic of the number of ISIS attacks (Thwarted and realised) in addition to ISIS affiliated arrests, all overlaid on to a map of the US and Europe. It was very eye opening to see despite the UK being the only area that hasn't registered any attacks, we'd still had a high number of arrests - and a high number of people going to fight on behalf of ISIS in Iraq and Syria. Clearly our security services are pretty fucking good at preventing them closer to home.

Here's a similar map, and although it only shows the data for 2015 it still underlines the point: Link.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

I saw an interesting infographic of the number of ISIS attacks (Thwarted and realised) in addition to ISIS affiliated arrests, all overlaid on to a map of the US and Europe. It was very eye opening to see despite the UK being the only area that hasn't registered any attacks, we'd still had a high number of arrests. Clearly our security services are pretty fucking good.

Here's a similar map, and although it only shows the data for 2015 it still underlines the point: Link.
    Germany looks just as impressive on that map - very sadly that has changed dramatically over the past days.
  • Options
    One of the individuals responsible was tagged due to a prior terror related offence; alas the conditions of his tag meant he was allowed to roam unsupervised between the hours of 0930 and 1230. Todays events occurred at around 1000-1100, nor do I suspect for one moment that another arrest was a huge deterrent.
    bobmunro said:

LuckyReds said:

I saw an interesting infographic of the number of ISIS attacks (Thwarted and realised) in addition to ISIS affiliated arrests, all overlaid on to a map of the US and Europe. It was very eye opening to see despite the UK being the only area that hasn't registered any attacks, we'd still had a high number of arrests. Clearly our security services are pretty fucking good.

Germany looks just as impressive on that map - very sadly that has changed dramatically over the past days.
    I agree. It's interesting to see that it was one of the only Western European countries that didn't have a heightened threat level though, and the only one without a heightened level to have been the subject of direct threats.

I'm not sure if anyone foresaw the situation getting anywhere near as bad as this though, it's tragic.
  • Options
    I sort of understand why yesterday's car bomb outside Baghdad (at least 17 murdered) has not been at the top of the news, but I don't understand why the 19 people stabbed to death in Japan today seem to have drifted out of the main online news.

All of these tragedies are terrible, for the victims, families and communities, obviously.
  • Options
    IA said:

I sort of understand why yesterday's car bomb outside Baghdad (at least 17 murdered) has not been at the top of the news, but I don't understand why the 19 people stabbed to death in Japan today seem to have drifted out of the main online news.

All of these tragedies are terrible, for the victims, families and communities, obviously.

Goes without saying, RIP to em all.

They are kind of different world's though aren't they? Well maybe not Japan, but Baghdad. These heinous acts of murder and barbarism from around the world get reported on in different countries and, depending on how current they are to each country, stay in the news for a while, or get sunk by summin else more close to home. For instance, the attack in Japan, probably knocked the Munich attack off the news in Asia.

Look at the South American drug cartels, beheading and murdering people daily, never makes our news does it.

RIP
  • Options

Exactly. I was told on another thread, it wasn't an issue here, because no one had come into the UK and committed an act of terror. All UK terrorist atrocities are homegrown.

But I agree with you. We are told that our security services regularly foil attempts, that are not made public.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

IA said:

Goes without saying, RIP to em all.

They are kind of different world's though aren't they? Well maybe not Japan, but Baghdad. These heinous acts of murder and barbarism from around the world get reported on in different countries and, depending on how current they are to each country, stay in the news for a while, or get sunk by summin else more close to home. For instance, the attack in Japan, probably knocked the Munich attack off the news in Asia.

Look at the South American drug cartels, beheading and murdering people daily, never makes our news does it.

RIP
    Yeah I guess I'm used to tragedies in Africa, the Middle East, South America etc being played down in the news, but Japan is a culturally western county that's suffered a huge attack today.

Just something that came to mind. I'm not really having a go at the media right now or saying that we shouldn't care about Normandy or Germany. I guess there's a current news story and the murders in Japan are separate.
  • Options
    Both church attackers now been identified
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Very sad, and not that it changes anything, let's hope there's not more to it.

Well done to the officers who responded though, I know it's central London but 6 minutes from the initial call to the offender being arrested is impressive given the circumstances. (Not to mention that if the BBC reporting is correct, within that 6 minutes they not only responded but also tasered and controlled him.) Very proud of those who go into situations like that without the protection of a firearm.

A bit surprised at the delay in reporting though; 4 hours before being reported by the BBC is long considering my news ticker was showing a story about a bouncy castle coming loose yesterday within minutes.
  • Options
    I fear That this is an attack that will be attributed to terrorism, filthy scum walking amongst us attacking innocents even if not a terror attack it's shocking this happens

Well done OB

RIP
  • Options
    Must've been a blockade on reporting it; as its now trending on Twitter already and the press are only just arriving:

Once again, a decent touch from The Met I think.
  • Options
    Police statement at 3.30.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    A 19 year old was arrested, and they're exploring Mental Health issues as the underlying reason - with terrorism remaining one line of inquiry for motivation. The investigation is being led by Homicide detectives with support from Counter-Terrorism officers. Other than that, The Met don't seem to have much to say at the moment.

A few media reports seem to suggest that there was more than an individual involved though, and others may have fled. Sounds a bit implausible considering the rapid response and one individual remaining and being detained, and this is also something The Met haven't mentioned. (One would think it would put the publics mind at ease to say it was a gang of youths who got in to an argument initially, when compared with the scenario of a lone attacker indiscriminately stabbing people.)

The victim who passed away on scene was in her 60s.

Very sad all round, regardless of motive.
  • Options
    Just seen the news on this. Still much speculation over motive. I cringed when I saw the BBC reporting that mental health issues were a big part of this - usually means that those who don't understand mental illness assume everyone with a mental illness is dangerous. Totally untrue - you're more likely to be killed by a relative than someone with mental health probs.

RIP the victim
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just seen the news on this. Still much speculation over motive. I cringed when I saw the BBC reporting that mental health issues were a big part of this - usually means that those who don't understand mental illness assume everyone with a mental illness is dangerous. Totally untrue - you're more likely to be killed by a relative than someone with mental health probs.

RIP the victim

Still better than the front page of the Daily Mail which would have you believe that London was under siege from terrorists.
  • Options

RIP the victim

Not sure I totally agree with what you are saying here, but I understand why you are saying it.

Perhaps stating that a specific known mental health issue was a big part of this might be more appropriate, or even more accurate (if indeed it was the case) 'paranoid schizophrenia with a history of violence was a big part of this'.

I would hope the vast majority of the public wouldn't link all mental health issues with violence.
  • Options

RIP the victim

Still better than the front page of the Daily Mail which would have you believe that London was under siege from terrorists.
    Oh, they've changed the big 'Terror In London' banner now which now says 'Silent Assassin'. Nothing like whipping up some hysteria when you don't have all the facts.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Norwegian national of Somalian descent, still saying there's no clear evidence of radical intent, but come on...
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    So, a Somalian with a Norwegian passport.

All of these mentally ill people across Europe that have decided to kill people at the same time of the year must have some kind of secret comms network going on.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

RIP the victim

Not sure I totally agree with what you are saying here, but I understand why you are saying it.

Perhaps stating that a specific known mental health issue was a big part of this might be more appropriate, or even more accurate (if indeed it was the case) 'paranoid schizophrenia with a history of violence was a big part of this'.

I would hope the vast majority of the public wouldn't link all mental health issues with violence.
    I guess they can't say what the actual diagnosis is but agree that history of violence might be good to add.

I'm sorry but I've got on my bloody mental health soap box again! You'd be surprised how ignorant the general public are. One psych hospital I was in used to take groups of us out in a minibus with some indiscreet sign on it which may well just have said 'nutter bus'. People moved from the cafe when we went in and most definitely avoided us. Rant over, I'm detracting from the current story.
  • Options
    We're still not using basic common sense then? Maybe on this occasion it's not Islamic but 99% of other attacks are. I'm not one of those that tars all with 1 brush, I'm not even against letting more migrants in in the slightest, I think it's important to better integrate Muslim communities as some already have in the UK.
    What I can't stand however is whenever there's a noteworthy attack every lefty in the world sits there and prays that it's a white person/ ''mental health" related so they can bang on about their agenda. Yes you can say the same for the other side but as a person in between you tend to see trends emerging.
  • Options

We're still not using basic common sense then? Maybe on this occasion it's not Islamic but 99% of other attacks are. I'm not one of those that tars all with 1 brush, I'm not even against letting more migrants in in the slightest, I think it's important to better integrate Muslim communities as some already have in the UK.
    What I can't stand however is whenever there's a noteworthy attack every lefty in the world sits there and prays that it's a white person/ ''mental health" related so they can bang on about their agenda. Yes you can say the same for the other side but as a person in between you tend to see trends emerging.

What on earth are you going on about ? You insinuated it was an attack predicated on Islamic extremism based on the ethnicity of the murderer, it looks like it wasn't, and you somehow use your mistake as a reason to attack "every lefty in the world". Surely you can see how ridiculous that makes you sound ?

Just say "Solly, I got it wrong" and move on.