Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Munich shooting

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Most victims of Islamist terrorism are Muslims.

Muslims are blamed for most acts of terrorism in the world.

If you're not a Muslim, imagine for a moment what it would be like. Being scared of being a victim, being scared of being blamed and being fed up of being scared of.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Croydon said:

If it's such a shame, stop tarnishing everyone with the same brush.

Maybe I'm a little over sensitive, but where I live people are openly racist about Muslims.

Here's a typical conversation that could happen any day of my life

"Guys, I'm popping out to get something to eat, does anyone want anything?"

"What are you getting?"

"I fancy some melon"

"I don't eat food from Muslims" / "don't get stabbed"

Today in the office one of the girls asked me about the "muslim attack" today, I was curious, how she knew it was a muslim attack, her answer "what other kind of attack is there?" Pretty similar you your "Maybe on this occasion it's not Islamic but 99% of other attacks are."

Christ the banter is awful in China
    Never mind that, who pops out to get melon?
    I reckon a few on here know their way around a melon and a corkscrew on those cold, lonely winter nights.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Chizz said:

If you're not a Muslim, imagine for a moment what it would be like. Being scared of being a victim, being scared of being blamed and being fed up of being scared of.

I don't think anyone is arguing against that though?
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Croydon said:

Maybe I'm a little over sensitive, but where I live people are openly racist about Muslims.

"What are you getting?"

"I fancy some melon"

Today in the office one of the girls asked me about the "muslim attack" today, I was curious, how she knew it was a muslim attack, her answer "what other kind of attack is there?" Pretty similar you your "Maybe on this occasion it's not Islamic but 99% of other attacks are."

I reckon a few on here know their way around a melon and a corkscrew on those cold, lonely winter nights.
    Reckon there's a few of the "paint your nails and lie on your arm until it's asleep" brigade then?
  • Options

We're still not using basic common sense then? Maybe on this occasion it's not Islamic but 99% of other attacks are. I'm not one of those that tars all with 1 brush, I'm not even against letting more migrants in in the slightest, I think it's important to better integrate Muslim communities as some already have in the UK.
    What I can't stand however is whenever there's a noteworthy attack every lefty in the world sits there and prays that it's a white person/ ''mental health" related so they can bang on about their agenda. Yes you can say the same for the other side but as a person in between you tend to see trends emerging.

You've been slaughtered on here, but I'm not sure how anyone can really argue against the sentiment that I've bolded.

Recently I've been glued to Twitter whenever something has happened, which has been with far too much regularity unfortunately, hence the level of my posting on this thread. Now I haven't been doing that out of some macabre fascination with death and terror, in fact I've been doing it because people's reactions to the news are - without fail - so totally predictable and insane.

On one hand you have the hoards of people (largely American, although we also have our own contingent.) claiming that Muslims need to be sent packing immediately, that refugees are a Trojan horse and that Islam should be banned. On the other hand, you have an equally intense reaction from the other side - inevitably avoiding the inconvenient truth that there are issues in certain parts of our community.

You're 100% correct when you say that each of these groups seems to be speculating and hoping for the attacker to be either a "White guy with mental health issues" or a "Radicalized Islamist"; and it's a bit daft to claim that either group is worse than the other. Hilariously, both groups seem to be quite comfortable with lecturing Muslim's about their own beliefs too.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Chizz said:

I don't think anyone is arguing against that though?
    It's the same templated responce that gets wheeled out after every attack, even before any sympathy for the victims gets expressed most of the time and even though most people have moved on from that particular point a good while back. Imo
  • Options
    Has anyone 'condemned' it yet? That's the most important thing.
  • Options

All people with a mental illness need to condemn it or they in some way endorse it... that's how this works isn't it?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

All people with a mental illness need to condemn it or they in some way endorse it... that's how this works isn't it?
    When people are actively using an ideology and a scripture to carry out abhorrent acts, it is understandable for others to seek a reaction from others who follow the same scripture and ideology.

Comparing an involuntary chemical imbalance in someones mind to the voluntary study and pursuit of a specific set of beliefs is.. well, as stupid as it sounds. People who commit atrocious crimes when ill are not in control of themselves, and are often left in pieces when they later learn the extent of what they did. You're being incredibly disingenuous if you're claiming that you can genuinely find a similarity there with someone who knowingly pursues an action intended kill and harm others, all tied in to an interpretation of something they've read and/or been told.

Islamist Terrorism is centered around the Islamic community, there's no other way of viewing it, as such that community does need to isolate and shame those who encourage these acts. Community leaders coming out in condemnation, and providing a strong voice aimed at those who are at risk of radicalization, is obviously one approach of doing so.

I suspect you've misinterpreted ValleyGary's post anyway, as he was most likely talking about politicians (Obama being an excellent example) who repeat the same tired platitudes of "condemnation" after every single attack.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Croydon said:

"What are you getting?"

"I fancy some melon"

Me, all the time!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LuckyReds said:

When people are actively using an ideology and a scripture to carry out abhorrent acts, it is understandable for others to seek a reaction from others who follow the same scripture and ideology.

Comparing an involuntary chemical imbalance in someones mind to the voluntary study and pursuit of a specific set of beliefs is.. well, as stupid as it sounds. People who commit atrocious crimes when ill are not in control of themselves, and are often left in pieces when they later learn the extent of what they did. You're being incredibly disingenuous if you're claiming that you can genuinely find a similarity there with someone who knowingly pursues an action intended kill and harm others, all tied in to an interpretation of something they've read and/or been told.

Islamist Terrorism is centered around the Islamic community, there's no other way of viewing it, as such that community does need to isolate and shame those who encourage these acts. Community leaders coming out in condemnation, and providing a strong voice aimed at those who are at risk of radicalization, is obviously one approach of doing so.
    So when some fruicake in the states blows up an abortion clinic, should the pope come out and condemn it?

What about when some drunk asshole beats his wife, should anyone who's had a sip stand up in condemnation?

Something needs to be done to improve integration of the Muslim community, comments like 99% of attacks are committed by Muslims will not help at all.

• Options
    edited August 2016

LuckyReds said:

So when some fruicake in the states blows up an abortion clinic, should the pope come out and condemn it?

What about when some drunk asshole beats his wife, should anyone who's had a sip stand up in condemnation?

Something needs to be done to improve integration of the Muslim community, comments like 99% of attacks are committed by Muslims will not help at all.

Should other religious leaders (i.e The Pope) come out and condemn violence that's committed in the name of the religion they're respected within? Yes, of course. Why shouldn't they? If someone is prepared to commit an atrocity in the name of their religion then the most powerful voice to them will come from within that religion, it's common sense. That goes for someone bombing an abortion clinic, or someone blowing themselves up - both obviously place their religion very highly in their priorities, and as such the most powerful voices will most likely be their religious leaders.

As for your example regarding drink, that's just ridiculous. You can not compare a group as large, wide and varied as "anyone who's had a sip [of alcohol]" to a religion. Last time I went to the pub it didn't dictate how I lived my life; in fact I'd hazard a guess that if you knew someone that was letting alcohol dictate their life then you'd advise them to go to a group like AA.

A bit bizarre of you to mention the "99% of attacks" comment, as I was neither responding to it - nor had I mentioned it. All you've done is incorrectly make an assumption about how I view other religious violence (hint: it's all bad, and all deserves condemnation from within.) and bring up someone else's post. To try another (more productive) angle - why don't you feel that condemnation from the community that is most affected (and most vulnerable to radicalization) should be expected?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

Should other religious leaders (i.e The Pope) come out and condemn violence that's committed in the name of the religion they're respected within? Yes, of course. Why shouldn't they? If someone is prepared to commit an atrocity in the name of their religion then the most powerful voice to them will come from within that religion, it's common sense. That goes for someone bombing an abortion clinic, or someone blowing themselves up - both obviously place their religion very highly in their priorities, and as such the most powerful voices will most likely be their religious leaders.

As for your example regarding drink, that's just ridiculous. You can not compare a group as large, wide and varied as "anyone who's had a sip [of alcohol]" to a religion. Last time I went to the pub it didn't dictate how I lived my life; in fact I'd hazard a guess that if you knew someone that was letting alcohol dictate their life then you'd advise them to go to a group like AA.

A bit bizarre of you to mention the "99% of attacks" comment, as I was neither responding to it - nor had I mentioned it. All you've done is incorrectly make an assumption about how I view other religious violence (hint: it's all bad, and all deserves condemnation from within.) and bring up someone else's post. To try another (more productive) angle - why don't you feel that condemnation from the community that is most affected (and most vulnerable to radicalization) should be expected?
    Firstly, I was raised by an alcoholic father, so yes, I believe alcohol can have a very strong control over ones life. Yes, people affected by alcohol to that extreme should be offered help, just as those falling victim to radicalization need out support and help.

Do you really think someone who buys into the vitriol from ISIS and their ilk is going to give a rats ass what the Muslim Council say after an attack? What I think we need to do is show the differences between Islam and those that have been radicalized (the same with any religion, imo) we need to look at why these men and woman are turning their back on their own societies.

I was making no assumption about ho you view religion, I apologise if that's how it looked, I was making no effort to attribute that quote to you, however, it is posted on this very thread and it's something stated by many, that needs to change, we all have a responsibility to help that change.

Edit: Just to add, I think all religion is ridiculous and the world would be a much better place if people stopped placing their faith in pretend blokes in the sky, in 2016 it's laughable, saddening and scary all at the same time.