Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addick appearing on The One Show and the Danny Baker Show

Er, that'll be me and I'll be babbling inanely about the 1966 World Cup Final and the '66 on '66' book I wrote which also included Charlton Life's very own Glass Half Full. I am on the One Show tomorrow night (Wednesday) and the Danny Baker show on Saturday. I was going to wear a Charlton shirt on the telly but I'm not sure I can bring myself to do so right now so I am plumping for a Trojan records polo shirt which I feel is more in keeping with the 60s flavour! You might have also heard me on the 5 live breakfast show this morning and BBC South East are doing a slot on Thursday which will involve me and a couple of Kentish men/Men of Kent re-watching the final in a small, converted cinema in Tunbridge Wells. Wish me luck! Done loads of radio and print interviews but no telly before!
For those that know me I am totally obsessed with 1966. I was born in that very year, think the music of that year was the greatest of the 20th Century and the fact we won the World Cup was the icing on the cake. I think the One Show like the fact I was born in April 1966, which just happens to be exactly the same as Phil Tufnell who is presenting a 66 themed-film just before I come on, with a few gentlemen featured in the book.

Comments

• Options
    Good luck mate
  • Options

Break a leg !!
  • Options
    Can someone get a protest shirt to @mattaddick in time for the show?
  • Options
    Heard them talking about it on Radio 5 last night - thought it may have been you!

Best of luck.
  • Options
    Well done, interesting piece.
  • Options
    Well done Matt, I watched the piece. Liked the shirt and couldn't quite work out the collar, but now I know.
  • Options
    LordDofB said:

Well done, interesting piece.

Thanks Lord DofB
  • Options

Well done Matt, I watched the piece. Liked the shirt and couldn't quite work out the collar, but now I know.

Thanks Man at Millets - yes Trojan Records who do a nice line in retro stuff
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Matt, watched it live last night...well done mate takes some nerves to appear on live TV. Congrats (How was Alex??)
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

Hi Matt. Glad it went well last night. As someone obsessed by 1966, your head will explode when I tell you my date of birth is 6/6/66!

Oh that is just brilliant meldrew66!
  • Options

Matt, watched it live last night...well done mate takes some nerves to appear on live TV. Congrats (How was Alex??)

Thanks Redmidland - I've got to say everyone was absolutely great and it was a pleasure to be on - my little girl (8) was in the audience and hasn't stopped smiling since which makes it even more worthwhile
  • Options

Very well done, Matt - it looked like a lot of fun !!
  • Options

Had a great time on last night's One Show and he's a post show shot with the lovely Alex Jones

Ah, I recognise you, been a supporter for yonks.
  • Options
    Well done Matt. Never usually watch The One Show, so recorded it, and it was a very good programme all round.
  • Options

Very well done, Matt - it looked like a lot of fun !!

It was Alan - it was a great experience
  • Options

Had a great time on last night's One Show and he's a post show shot with the lovely Alex Jones

Ah, I recognise you, been a supporter for yonks.
    Since 1973 in fact - though I confess my love has been seriously on the wane for the last couple of years - I hope to rekindle it
  • Options

Well done Matt. Never usually watch The One Show, so recorded it, and it was a very good programme all round.

Thanks HantsAddick - it was a great experience
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

Hi Matt. Glad it went well last night. As someone obsessed by 1966, your head will explode when I tell you my date of birth is 6/6/66!

Burn him!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done Matt, watched you on the one show and have just seen this thread.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Well done Matt, watched you on the one show and have just seen this thread.

Thanks Redhenry -;appreciated
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Couple of great stories by our own Alan, must have been the best 10 bob you ever spent mate!.
    You saw the other games at Wembley as well, and was one of the first ones in on that day of the final.!
    I remember that my mother had nagged me that I had not cleaned the balcony windows, when we scored that third goal, the windolene, which was a 'horrid lavender concoction' spilt all down my 'levis and grandad 't 'shirt, I was covered in the stuff, think I got another clip around the ear for spilling it, and sat in the front room watching the rest of the game. I think my father just said ' sit down and shut up', while my mother moaned 'bloody football'.
    I could never get the stains out of my 'baseball boots'....
  • Options
    Excellent stuff Matt, really great piece and project
  • Options

Excellent stuff Matt, really great piece and project

Thanks redlanered- it was a project I loved- a pleasure and privilege to meet so many people who were there that day
  • Options
    A lovely article,Matt--very enjoyable to recount that great day. I still remember it vividly,sitting in front of the tv.My face must have been a picture when Germany equalised and then when Geoff Hurst scored both in extra-time.One of the most exciting days of my life.
  • Options
    I think the Russian linesman must have been on drugs :-)
  • Options

A lovely article,Matt--very enjoyable to recount that great day. I still remember it vividly,sitting in front of the tv.My face must have been a picture when Germany equalised and then when Geoff Hurst scored both in extra-time.One of the most exciting days of my life.

Of the hundreds of people I have spoken to Johnny H that is a sentiment echoed by them all (except the Germans perhaps)
  • Options

By the size of that moustache he was clearly a walrus pining for the haven of an oceanside rock from where he could catch fish - so I suspect his mind was elsewhere
  • Options

By the size of that moustache he was clearly a walrus pining for the haven of an oceanside rock from where he could catch fish - so I suspect his mind was elsewhere
    Ah THAT goal!

It certainly looks dubious on the replays but the one thing I've never understood is that if it hadn't crossed the line then why didn't Roger Hunt rush in to finish the job off?

As a forward (striker in modern parlance) it would have been an instinctive thing for him to do yet he raised his arm in celebration and turned away which suggests to me that it DID cross the line at some point albeit fleetingly.