Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    Bottom feeding was definitely the right strategy this half!
  • Options
    Bottom feeding was definitely the right strategy this half!
    I think I'm just going to be eased out but should I win I want you to know I haven't resorted to anything strange like bottom feeding!
  • Options
    Boy that jumped around a bit in the end;

Congrats to @hoof_it_up_to_benty who was within 70 points, shout out to @Fortune 82nd Minute who for a while looked like he had it!

Top 7 were within 5%.

@Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch takes the wooden spoon, but I bet we all wish we had his optimism!

Until next time...... (Premium Bonds in two days.....)

FTSE100 Level7,169.28  

NameLevelVariance% Variance
    Hoof_it_up_to_benty710069.280.97%
    Fortune 82nd Minute725080.721.13%
    MrOneLung7270100.721.40%
    Pedro457297127.721.78%
    meldrew667337167.722.34%
    Thread Killer7437267.723.73%
    StrikerFirmani7510340.724.75%
    PragueAddick7533363.725.07%
    LargeAddick7547377.725.27%
    oohaahmortimer6789380.285.30%
    Gary Poole7574404.725.65%
    holyjo7594424.725.92%
    Rob7Lee7605435.726.08%
    @TelMc327621451.726.30%
    WishIdStayedInThe Pub7634464.726.48%
    Addick Addict7652482.726.73%
    TheGhostofTomHovi7666496.726.93%
    fat man on a moped7675505.727.05%
    Bangkokaddick7686516.727.21%
    thecat7690520.727.26%
    RalphMilne7702532.727.43%
    Daarrrzzettbum7717547.727.64%
    Covered End7721551.727.70%
    golfaddick7730560.727.82%
    Housty7747577.728.06%
    Salad7750580.728.10%
    IdleHans7777607.728.48%
    CAFCWest7799629.728.78%
    valleynick667801631.728.81%
    Lonelynorthernaddick7845675.729.43%
    CharltonKerry7860690.729.63%
    blackpool727880710.729.91%
    HardyAddick7892722.7210.08%
    bobmunro7897727.7210.15%
    gunnessaddick7936766.7210.69%
    wwaddick8002832.7211.62%
    Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 82501080.7215.07%
  • Options
    Let's hope the optimists do better next time..
  • Options
    £50 for me, £50 for Mrs R7L and £50 for youngest daughter, nothing for eldest (she has the least).

and of course £50 fir father in law 🙈
  • Options
    £50.me £25 wife
  • Options
    £50 all round here as well on the PBs for me, the wife and junior. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    £50 for me.
    I see that Sutherland Avenue in Welling won £30k per ticket in the post code lottery last week.
  • Options
    £25 x 3 for me this month ...  
  • Options
    A decent £75 for me this month but Mr F misses out ( apart from being married to me....) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3 x 25 for me.
    My best yet.
  • Options
    £50 for me.
    I see that Sutherland Avenue in Welling won £30k per ticket in the post code lottery last week.
    £50 (2 x £25) for me.  

As for the Postcode Lottery, I’ve had two £10 wins each year since I joined in 2017. Nothing though since last December.  Still better than Valley Gold!!!! 😏
  • Options
    Nought for me, £25 for the wife, £75 for my Mum.
  • Options
    I think it's three months of zilch after 4 £25 wins in April.
  • Options
    Amazed anyone holds premium bonds with rates about 800bps below inflation. But each to their own
  • Options
    Amazed anyone holds premium bonds with rates about 800bps below inflation. But each to their own
    Going up to 1.4% return next month.  Also its a bit of fun...and you never know you could hit the big one...!
  • Options
    Inflation is transitory. By this time next year inflation will be much lower - sub 5% and probably nearer to 3%. 
  • Options
    So where would you put money that you didnt want to risk nor tie it up for 1/2/3 years. 

And that was guaranteed not to lose its notional value.
  • Options
    So where would you put money that you didnt want to risk nor tie it up for 1/2/3 years. 

And that was guaranteed not to lose its notional value.
    And tax free.......
  • Options
    1 x £25 here
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My financial advisor laughed at me when I said I was investing £25,000 in premium bonds. That £25,000 is still there, intact and I've had several wins. The investments recommended by my IFA cost me a six figure sum as two went bust and one was a Ponzi scheme!

Also rather a better investment than the stock market this year!
  • Options
    Odd post. *Ordinary* people need to keep six months worth of living expenses as a reserve. That’s almost universal advice. So it needs to be an easy access cash account, right? Well if you go on Raisin UK, you can hardly get an account like that paying even 2%, and the “top” payers are dodgy Middle Eastern operations offering sharia accounts. Well each to his own, but when inflation is 10% the difference between 1.8% at Tahnoon Bank Damascus and 1.4% at NS&I is neither here nor there. 

But if you have a better solution, please share (that is the point of this thread). I have a lot of cash from the house sale, and while I fully intend to invest it, I’m drip-feeding it in monthly in the current volatile environment. So that means the rest needs to stay easy access, and of course there is the £85k limit on government guarantees for any one account. Premium bonds is one option, but the limit is 50k, so I need more options…

I guess you are not going to reply “Bitcoin”….😂
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Odd post. *Ordinary* people need to keep six months worth of living expenses as a reserve. That’s almost universal advice. So it needs to be an easy access cash account, right? Well if you go on Raisin UK, you can hardly get an account like that paying even 2%, and the “top” payers are dodgy Middle Eastern operations offering sharia accounts. Well each to his own, but when inflation is 10% the difference between 1.8% at Tahnoon Bank Damascus and 1.4% at NS&I is neither here nor there. 

But if you have a better solution, please share (that is the point of this thread). I have a lot of cash from the house sale, and while I fully intend to invest it, I’m drip-feeding it in monthly in the current volatile environment. So that means the rest needs to stay easy access, and of course there is the £85k limit on government guarantees for any one account. Premium bonds is one option, but the limit is 50k, so I need more options…

as some one in their early 30s i absolutely guarantee nearly everyone my age and lower have absolutely nowhere near that amount, and likely will never have that to hand.

I've shared them before, but fluid.ch offer 4% usd interest. 3.1% for GBP. I use them for savings and free fx conversions if i fancy doing some low level fx trading.
  • Options

as some one in their early 30s i absolutely guarantee nearly everyone my age and lower have absolutely nowhere near that amount, and likely will never have that to hand.

I've shared them before, but fluid.ch offer 4% usd interest. 3.1% for GBP. I use them for savings and free fx conversions if i fancy doing some low level fx trading.
    I probably did not either, at that age, but most of the NS&I fans on here are older, I think. 

I just took a look at fluid but its not for me, because it's risk. Nothing is guaranteed, nothing backs it. I've got enough risk exposure as it is with the state of the equity markets. But if you are comfortable with the risk, I can see why it works well for you. If the Fx trading is fee free, I suppose that is interesting. But the last time I tried that, buying the swiss franc, the bastard Gnomes devalued the currency literally 24 hours after I took my stake  :D  
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I probably did not either, at that age, but most of the NS&I fans on here are older, I think. 

I just took a look at fluid but its not for me, because it's risk. Nothing is guaranteed, nothing backs it. I've got enough risk exposure as it is with the state of the equity markets. But if you are comfortable with the risk, I can see why it works well for you. If the Fx trading is fee free, I suppose that is interesting. But the last time I tried that, buying the swiss franc, the bastard Gnomes devalued the currency literally 24 hours after I took my stake  :D  
    all deposits are 100% insured, even if fluid goes bankrupt, you still have your money... They don't use fractional reserve, so every dollar in your account is a dollar in an account. 
  • Options
    I don't think 100% insured guarantees your money is 100% safe.
    The insurance company(ies) can default as well.
    Which is why the FSCS scheme is government backed.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    if lloyds of london goes bankrupt, we've got bigger problems than not being able to get your money out. But it doesn't matter, because they don't use fractional reserve... so your money is safe from a bank run.
  • Options
    if lloyds of london goes bankrupt, we've got bigger problems than not being able to get your money out. But it doesn't matter, because they don't use fractional reserve... so your money is safe from a bank run.
    Whilst I agree (I work in the Lloyds environment and have done for 30 years), you are relying on the policy responding to the event they have insured for. Which broadly in the literature says fraud and theft. If there was a fraud and/or a theft I wouldn't hold my breath in getting any claim paid quickly, more likely 12 months+ as it's likely to be complex.

The main thing is your comfortable with the risk, others more cautious won't be, neither is right or wrong (compared to the other). 
  • Options
    For people looking for savings rates, these guys are a bona fide UK bank with a full license and FSCS backed.  Currently only offering fixed terms but sometimes switch on easy access.  Full disclosure: I'm an investor.

https://smartsavebank.co.uk
    https://chetwood.co/products/
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Boy that jumped around a bit in the end;

Congrats to @hoof_it_up_to_benty who was within 70 points, shout out to @Fortune 82nd Minute who for a while looked like he had it!

Top 7 were within 5%.

@Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch takes the wooden spoon, but I bet we all wish we had his optimism!

Until next time...... (Premium Bonds in two days.....)

End of year predictions .... ?