Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    What's the closing date for anyone who's not yet entered?
  • Options

that makes me more optimistic than Golfie. That seems wrong  ;)
    Pollyanna Addick
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    What's the closing date for anyone who's not yet entered?
    Good point, lets say next Friday, 22nd July? I'll post up shortly current entrants and whose yet to.
  • Options
    Please double check your entry, for those not yet declared, chop chop!!

NameLevel
    Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 6500
    KentAddick6750
    IdleHans6950
    WishIdStayedInThe Pub7000
    golfaddick7050
    Gary Poole7074
    Pedro457133
    PragueAddick7140
    Thread Killer7166
    Rob7Lee7234
    HardyAddick7250
    wwaddick7250
    fat man on a moped7252
    CAFCWest7299
    LargeAddick7347
    CharltonKerry7375
    bobmunro7398
    Covered End7412
    blackpool727450
    RalphMilne7496
    Lonelynorthernaddick7500
    Addick Addict7652
    guinnessaddick7654
    @TelMc327777
    valleynick667899
    MrOneLung7955
    Hoof_it_up_to_benty 
    Fortune 82nd Minute 
    meldrew66 
    StrikerFirmani 
    oohaahmortimer 
    holyjo 
    TheGhostofTomHovi 
    Bangkokaddick 
    thecat 
    Daarrrzzettbum 
    Housty 
    Salad 
    gunnessaddick 
    Killer Kish 
    Exiledin Manchester 
    Morboe 
    Redman 
    cafc7-6htfc 
    Huskaris 
    No.1 in South London 
    CAFCsayer 
    happy valley 
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    I'll go for today's 7159, please.
  • Options
    7323 please Mr Lee
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whilst I think I know a fair bit in general about pensions, I’m not so sure about the GMP element of a DB scheme. However, I’m sure we have that knowledge on here ?

I have been in receipt of my Lloyds Bank pension for 4 years, I am 65 in September an get my state pension at 66. I currently receive an annual RPI increase on my whole pension each April.

However, my pension doc says this with Regard to GMP

On or after my birthday in September 2022 (age 65) the scheme will pay increases on the GMP built up after the 5th April 1988 of £1954.68 in line with price inflation up to 3% or CPI which ever is lower.  No increases will be paid on GMP built up before April 6th 1988.

I am not sure what this means, does this mean that £1954.68 of my pension will no longer be raised by RPI MAX 5% but by CPI MAX 3% ?

Having dealt with a couple of GMP examples for friends. They have received increases in pension at 65, where backed dated annual increases to GMP is applied on their 65th birthday. Should I expect an increase in my pension due to this ?

Hope somebody can help. Thanks
  • Options
    Golfie will likely now more detail but;

GMP was the contracted out section (SERPS) of a workplace pension, usually finally salary.

This was stopped in April 1997. Pension schemes have to pay increases each year from April 1998 of CPI or maximum of 3%, so it should go up but yes it is capped at 3%.

I assume you aren't yet receiving the GMP element, so I read it that you will at 65 and it will be indexed at that maximum of 3% of CPI id lower.

I have a recollection that there was something about the increase being paid through the state pension.....

This may help

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/new-state-pension-if-youve-been-contracted-out-of-additional-state-pension/guaranteed-minimum-pension-gmp-and-the-effect-of-the-new-state-pension
  • Options
    ROB7LEE,    Sometimes the more you find out the more confused you get. I was under the impression I was already receiving the GMP element of my pension. However, your comment above, reading the link, and other pieces makes me question my thinking. I am now thinking the GMP £1954.68 will only come into payment on my 65th Birthday.  An any increases in the GMP will be applied via my state pension and not my Lloyds pension.

if that’s true…. Then it’s a pleasant surprise to think I will get a £1954.68 rise in pension from September, possibly more if it’s been increased by indexation.

Hopefully Golfie may be able to shed further light on this. Thanks very much for your help. 
  • Options
    No sorry, Don't think I can be of any help. DB Schemes & GMP not really my area of expertise.

However, the new state pension done away with all the add-ons & extras that people had been contracted to and in that link that @Rob7Lee posted it explains that there will be winners & losers to the new State Pension. It seems like you @ralphmilne maybe one of the losers and the GMP increase that would have usually been paid by the Government is no more - although the 3% increase to your £1954 GMP will be superseded by the triple lock guarantee, which will increase that State Pension by 8%+ over the next tax year. 
  • Options
    I'm 99% sure GMP is paid at 60 for women and 65 for men (who ever said equality.......  :D )

https://www.unbiased.co.uk/life/pensions-retirement/guaranteed-minimum-pension-GMP

Here you go;

When will I get my GMP?

If you qualify for a GMP, it will be paid from your 60th birthday if you are woman, or your 65th birthday if you are a man. In this respect it is not affected by increases in the state pension age.

I charge less than Golfie, just 0.5%  ;)

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I'm 99% sure GMP is paid at 60 for women and 65 for men (who ever said equality.......  :D )

https://www.unbiased.co.uk/life/pensions-retirement/guaranteed-minimum-pension-GMP

Here you go;

When will I get my GMP?

If you qualify for a GMP, it will be paid from your 60th birthday if you are woman, or your 65th birthday if you are a man. In this respect it is not affected by increases in the state pension age.

I charge less than Golfie, just 0.5%  ;)

and after all I've done for you........  :'(
  • Options
    7124 please
  • Options
    So far;

NameLevel
    No.1 in South London6475
    Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 6500
    KentAddick6750
    IdleHans6950
    WishIdStayedInThe Pub7000
    golfaddick7050
    Gary Poole7074
    thecat7124
    Pedro457133
    PragueAddick7140
    Fortune 82nd Minute7159
    Thread Killer7166
    Rob7Lee7234
    HardyAddick7250
    wwaddick7250
    fat man on a moped7252
    CAFCWest7299
    cafcpolo7303
    Daarrrzzettbum7323
    Jamescafc7325
    Morboe7337
    LargeAddick7347
    CharltonKerry7375
    bobmunro7398
    Covered End7412
    blackpool727450
    RalphMilne7496
    Lonelynorthernaddick7500
    Addick Addict7652
    guinnessaddick7654
    @TelMc327777
    valleynick667899
    MrOneLung7955
    Hoof_it_up_to_benty 
    meldrew66 
    StrikerFirmani 
    oohaahmortimer 
    holyjo 
    TheGhostofTomHovi 
    Bangkokaddick 
    Housty 
    Salad 
    gunnessaddick 
    Killer Kish 
    Exiledin Manchester 
    Redman 
    cafc7-6htfc 
    Huskaris 
    CAFCsayer 
    happy valley 
  • Options
    Whilst I think I know a fair bit in general about pensions, I’m not so sure about the GMP element of a DB scheme. However, I’m sure we have that knowledge on here ?

I have been in receipt of my Lloyds Bank pension for 4 years, I am 65 in September an get my state pension at 66. I currently receive an annual RPI increase on my whole pension each April.

However, my pension doc says this with Regard to GMP

On or after my birthday in September 2022 (age 65) the scheme will pay increases on the GMP built up after the 5th April 1988 of £1954.68 in line with price inflation up to 3% or CPI which ever is lower.  No increases will be paid on GMP built up before April 6th 1988.

I am not sure what this means, does this mean that £1954.68 of my pension will no longer be raised by RPI MAX 5% but by CPI MAX 3% ?

Having dealt with a couple of GMP examples for friends. They have received increases in pension at 65, where backed dated annual increases to GMP is applied on their 65th birthday. Should I expect an increase in my pension due to this ?

Hope somebody can help. Thanks
    Phone Lloyds Pension dept, that's what they are there for. I think it may be administered by Equiniti? 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    6977 please
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't believe I'm the fifth most pessimistic of the group.  I sincerely hope (most of) you are right but I'm very worried about China and a Euro crisis.  Hopefully that's just my confirmation bias ****ing with me.
  • Options
  • Options
    A decent month for stock markets. A surprise for Summer. Still a long way to go to recover the losses this year, alongside challenging economic conditions.
  • Options
    Can't believe I'm the fifth most pessimistic of the group.  I sincerely hope (most of) you are right but I'm very worried about China and a Euro crisis.  Hopefully that's just my confirmation bias ****ing with me.
    I'm with you, and could list several other worries, such as, recessions are bad for earnings, but the FTSE has an annoying habit of drifting upwards in the Christmas holiday simply because everyone in the City is on holiday.
  • Options
    What about China are you concerned about?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    A decent month for stock markets. A surprise for Summer. Still a long way to go to recover the losses this year, alongside challenging economic conditions.
    Yes my pension that I transferred to Vanguard in late June is looking rather healthy for July.
  • Options
    7550 please
  • Options
    the fact they're deploying tanks to stop people going on a bank run, that one of their largest property developers defaulted at the beginning of the year and their property market is stalling. Something really dodgy is going on.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    the fact they're deploying tanks to stop people going on a bank run, that one of their largest property developers defaulted at the beginning of the year and their property market is stalling. Something really dodgy is going on.
    Listening/watching a couple of investment forums this week it seems there is a split on China. Some think that they have now got a grip on Covid & their GDP numbers should look healthy this year. Others think the tanks are because they are gearing up for an invasion of Taiwan.

Consensus is that the US is technically in recession & is not the place to invest. More looking at Emerging Markets & the UK. Avoid Europe. 
  • Options
    Thanks @kentaddick, this is what I'm concerned about.  They are also using the health app to stop deposit holders travelling to protest that they can't get to their money.  Construction industry suppliers are defaulting on mortgage payments because property companies aren't settling their bills (and not just Evergrande).  

China unravelling has been a long time coming.  Massive misallocation of capital from central planning on a scale never seen before.  And I think it will come in a big bang as they have the ability to control information and market behaviours for a long time before they can't contain it.  Together with their Zero Covid policy, lots of people are unhappy with the government right now, which is a good excuse for a war to distract them.  There are all sorts of rumours that there's a move to oust Xi before he is confirmed life-time leader in October.

As for the European banking market - that was never cleaned up, unlike here and in the States and so many of their banks are technically insolvent.  The reason it's never been cleaned up is the merry go round with government debt.  Rising interest rates will blow that right open.  The Euro is already struggling to retain parity with the dollar.  That could be very ugly all by itself.