Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    Macronate said:
    Help needed.

1. Son is saving to buy house, currently has £17k saved/and has a separate Help to Buy ISA, thinking about transferring the £17k to a fixed rate bond. Good or bad idea. If bad, what would be better?
    2. £8k 'funeral' account, no more being paid into it. Do I just go with the highest interest rate account I can find?

There are clearly a lot of knowledgeable people on here and was just after some guidance.

Any advice appreciated.
    Take stock after next weeks budget? Some suggestion the help to buy ISA restrictions may be tweaked. 
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Solidgone said:
    That’s a spoiler alert…and means I haven’t won the biggie. 
    ....unless you are from Bromley, like me, and have a missed call this morning from an unknown number and note that a Bromley resident won a big prize this month...................................
    I'm under Bromley!!
  • Options
    edited March 2
    Just the £50 on PB for me this month. Used up all my luck with the big win last month! 
  • Options
    £250 for me, £100 for the missus.
  • Options
    Just a £50 para m
  • Options
    5 prizes this month totalling £325 for Victor but nothing for Margaret
  • Options
    1 x 50
    1 x 100.
    Every little helps. 
  • Options
    £50 for me.
  • Options
    £0 for both of us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2 x £50 and 2 x £100…tax free…can’t be bad…
  • Options
    £325 this month after £375 for last month. Decent start to the year 👍
  • Options
    Me £275 (1 x £100, 3 x £50, 1 x £25)
    Missus £250 (1 x £100, 3 x £50)
  • Options
    £125 for us both this month
  • Options
    Bought my premium bonds at the end of Feb for me and my wife, really looking forward to our first draw this time next month! 
  • Options
    edited March 2
    Huskaris said:
    Bought my premium bonds at the end of Feb for me and my wife, really looking forward to our first draw this time next month! 
    You need to get out more  !
  • Options
    Is it just me that thinks everyone needs to post how much they are holding in premium bonds to make the monthly reports of payouts make sense?

I enjoy seeing the posts....but... it doesn't make any meaningful sense without knowing the context of how much is held.... right?
  • Options
    Is it just me that thinks everyone needs to post how much they are holding in premium bonds to make the monthly reports of payouts make sense?

I enjoy seeing the posts....but... it doesn't make any meaningful sense without knowing the context of how much is held.... right?
    It's a good point. I'd also prefer it if there was a separate premium bonds thread, but understand that will be a faff.
  • Options
    £125 in premium bonds but a good week on the stock market, though I have halved my stocks and share investing in the past couple of years
  • Options
    £25 for me, £225 for MrsR7L and nowt for father in law 😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After decent returns in 2023 it has been a very slow start to 2024 for me, with a return of only £275 for the first three months on a full holding.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I can't believe your father in law hasn't won after all these months of non stop wins. Surely he should demand a redraw!😀
  • Options
    £50 :(
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I can't believe your father in law hasn't won after all these months of non stop wins. Surely he should demand a redraw!😀
    He's not impressed! I think it's only the second time in approaching 5 years where he hasn't't won.
  • Options
    Nothing from PB but over 1k up pure profit from Crypto. All profit sold this morning 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Nothing from PB but over 1k up pure profit from Crypto. All profit sold this morning 

This is the key to crypto. Take profit and not get greedy. 
  • Options
    After decent returns in 2023 it has been a very slow start to 2024 for me, with a return of only £275 for the first three months on a full holding.
    That's my story too, although even more extreme. I have a holding of £42.6k , and saw a 4.4% return last year. Winnings so far this year? £50. 

As it happens a one year fixed interest bond with them has just matured. I'm taking the cash elsewhere. That'll learn 'em ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2
    That's my story too, although even more extreme. I have a holding of £42.6k , and saw a 4.4% return last year. Winnings so far this year? £50. 

As it happens a one year fixed interest bond with them has just matured. I'm taking the cash elsewhere. That'll learn 'em ;)

While you're figuring out what do do with the funds - e.g. another fix, then Ulster Bank have instant access at 5.2% which is about the best around.
  • Options
    edited March 2
    These are pretty competitive rates for 1, 2 and 3 year fixes, Richard. Highly respected financial institution as well - they have chunks of my cash on fixes.

• Options
    edited March 2
    X