Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    @PragueAddick still holding direct line? No need to thank me 😂😉
    Eh? That bunch of shysters whom someone on here was pushing as a good income stock? That rabble whose shares I bought at 185p and who ran into trouble and promptly cancelled the dividend completely? That Direct Line? Nah I sold them back in August at 159p, and used the proceeds to top up on a proper company in the sector (L&G) that doesn't mess with its dividends.

See, I really do care about income...😉
  • Options
    edited February 28
    £2.04 today 🙈 that’d be 10%+ income 😂
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    If I sell it….then, bang, its gone

L&G gives me 7% every year…

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    If I sell it….then, bang, its gone

L&G gives me 7% every year…

Not gone, take the 10% and reinvest.

agree though on L&G divi’s - an old employer of mine, very good company.
  • Options
    Been a regular user and advocate of the Chase Debit card with its 1% cashback up to £15 a month as long as you pay in £500 a month.  Just had the email to say from April have to pay in £1500 a month to qualify...that seems to be quite a hike!  Might have to look around for other offers - altough Martin Lewis suggests pay in the £1500 and set-up a S/O to transfer £1,000 back the next day!
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Been a regular user and advocate of the Chase Debit card with its 1% cashback up to £15 a month as long as you pay in £500 a month.  Just had the email to say from April have to pay in £1500 a month to qualify...that seems to be quite a hike!  Might have to look around for other offers - altough Martin Lewis suggests pay in the £1500 and set-up a S/O to transfer £1,000 back the next day!
    The President of JPMC did say they had plans to break even this year.  People thought that was ambitious ...
  • Options
    Good to see those con merchants and thieves at St James Place are getting a good kicking.  I turned down their very kind offer to employ me due to their inability (unwillingness) to answer a simple question: what is the return on your funds, AFTER fees and how do they rank?

Really, really wanted to short them after that but needed deep pockets and patience.  I understand they have the entire ambulance chasing PPI crowd on their back now.
  • Options
    edited February 28
    Good to see those con merchants and thieves at St James Place are getting a good kicking.  I turned down their very kind offer to employ me due to their inability (unwillingness) to answer a simple question: what is the return on your funds, AFTER fees and how do they rank?

Really, really wanted to short them after that but needed deep pockets and patience.  I understand they have the entire ambulance chasing PPI crowd on their back now.
    The only people I ever see defend them are either fools or employees. 

Just caught up on this properly and you're right this sounds like a huge claim industry slam dunk. 
  • Options

They tried to headhunt me as well quite some years ago. I also declined. 
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Just get an American Express cash back card or similar. If you know someone with one 😉 they can introduce you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Been coming for a long while, I'll still never understand why anyone used them. Every ambulance chaser will be after them. I still get probably one of their advisors a month trying to connect with me on LinkedIn, I sometimes accept just to let them message me so I can reply with what I think! Apparently whenever they do contact they always work with my colleagues, yes I've never found anyone I work with who has!
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Well that's frustrating, haven't received that email yet from them. How long have you been with them? I started using the card in Jan 23, had the first year 1% cashback option, then at the end of that year I keep the 1% cashback as long as I add £500 to the account each month to qualify for the next month. Wondering if you'd been with them for 2 full years maybe? 
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Well that's frustrating, haven't received that email yet from them. How long have you been with them? I started using the card in Jan 23, had the first year 1% cashback option, then at the end of that year I keep the 1% cashback as long as I add £500 to the account each month to qualify for the next month. Wondering if you'd been with them for 2 full years maybe? 
    I haven't had any email from them yet. I suspect you are correct about the 2 year cut off, as I've been transferring £500 a month since June 23 to keep the 1% cashback.
  • Options
    Just been reading about SJP. I moved from them as the returns were poor and paid the exit fee as I had no choice.
    will I be able to claim on them for this or is it just for those paying for advice that they don’t get? 
    Any pointers greatly appreciated 
  • Options
    Just been reading about SJP. I moved from them as the returns were poor and paid the exit fee as I had no choice.
    will I be able to claim on them for this or is it just for those paying for advice that they don’t get? 
    From the little I read it was the paying for advice you didn't receive - but worth keeping an eye out/on the detail.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    From the little I read it was the paying for advice you didn't receive - but worth keeping an eye out/on the detail.
    Ok thanks. That’s how I read it as well. 

Will keep an eye on it.

the good news is my new investments regained the costs pretty quickly and I made the right decision to move from  SJP
  • Options
    Cannot believe that someone who has a Premium Bond holding of £100 and only bought them in December has won £100,000 in the March draw.
    Another holder of £100 has also won £100,000 but at least they have had that holding since 1990.
  • Options
    Cannot believe that someone who has a Premium Bond holding of £100 and only bought them in December has won £100,000 in the March draw.
    Another holder of £100 has also won £100,000 but at least they have had that holding since 1990.
    Is unusual, but just goes to show anything is possible! No big for me this month by the looks of it :-(
  • Options
    I thought the draw,was tomorrow 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You can see if you've won tomorrow on the app etc, but they always release the big winners a day or two before:

https://www.nsandi.com/prize-checker/winners
  • Options
    Anyone clever know the odds of winning £100,000 with a £100 holding? 
  • Options
    edited March 1
    meldrew66 said:
    £100 has a 1 in 51,357,839 of winning £1m over the course of a year
    21,000 to 1 to win a prize.
  • Options
    edited March 1
    Rob7Lee said:
    meldrew66 said:
    Crikey! Suffice to say that this person has 'significantly higher than average luck' then - especially as their bond hit the 2nd highest prize on only the 3rd time it was in the draw!! lol
  • Options
    it is always the first working day of the month. Details of big prize wins are released today and if you want to know if you have won or not you can check online from midnight tonight.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    meldrew66 said:
    Crikey! Suffice to say that this person has 'significantly higher than average luck' then - especially as their bond hit the 2nd highest prize on only the 3rd time it was in the draw!! lol
    Think it was luckier than that, purchased in Dec 23 so first draw would have been Feb 24. So this is their second draw!
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    meldrew66 said:
    Depends on when they bought the bonds, as they don’t qualify for the first draw after they’ve been purchased, so Feb would be the first draw and they won on the second draw. 😱
  • Options
    That’s a spoiler alert…and means I haven’t won the biggie. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    That’s a spoiler alert…and means I haven’t won the biggie. 
    ....unless you are from Bromley, like me, and have a missed call this morning from an unknown number and note that a Bromley resident won a big prize this month...................................
  • Options
    Help needed.

1. Son is saving to buy house, currently has £17k saved/and has a separate Help to Buy ISA, thinking about transferring the £17k to a fixed rate bond. Good or bad idea. If bad, what would be better?
    2. £8k 'funeral' account, no more being paid into it. Do I just go with the highest interest rate account I can find?

There are clearly a lot of knowledgeable people on here and was just after some guidance.

Any advice appreciated.