Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    PBs: 1 x £25 and 2 x £50 for me.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Two max holdings and the square root of f*ck all!
    I'd take it out and stick it all on 32 Red.
  • Options
    3rd month running and fuck all, so I'm pulling the lot out. Fuck yer premium bonds.....
  • Options
    £75 on the PBs this month.  Meh 🫤 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    3rd month running and fuck all, so I'm pulling the lot out. Fuck yer premium bonds.....
    It does depend on how much you have in there. Less than £20k & I doubt you'll get much joy. I imagine many posters on here have got close to the £50k max. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    £5,175!

4x different prizes (25,50,100,5000).

Very happy as I was planning to take it all out to help with my house purchase last month but in the end managed to leave it all there. Bloody good job I did! 
    Congrats - is the CL record for PB winnings?
  • Options
    edited February 2
    Jon_CAFC_ said:
    cafctom said:
    £5,175!

Very happy as I was planning to take it all out to help with my house purchase last month but in the end managed to leave it all there. Bloody good job I did! 
    I’m not sure. In truth, I’ve only been doing it for 6 months. And I do have Charlton Life to thank as it goes, as I had absolutely no idea what Premium Bonds even were until about May last year!
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Jon_CAFC_ said:
    cafctom said:
    £5,175!

I’m not sure. In truth, I’ve only been doing it for 6 months. And I do have Charlton Life to thank as it goes, as I had absolutely no idea what Premium Bonds even were until about May last year!
    I briefly (last month) held the record at £5k although technically my daughter not me!

you know there’s commission payable on here 😂
  • Options
    Nothing for me again, but a handful of Amazon shares is easing my pain
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    £300 for me. Happy with that as I’ve got a birthday ending in ‘0’ this weekend so it’s going to be used on garden stuff - millions of dahlias 🥰
  • Options
    £100 for me, £350 for the missus. 
  • Options
    £100 for me
  • Options
    £300 me .£375 the wife
  • Options
    £750 between the 5 of us. Worst month in a while by far 
  • Options
    £100 for me, happy with that  ;)
  • Options
    I got a big fat zero after only getting £50 in Jan. Unless I get a decent one soon there is no way I will get even 4.3% as I got last year. 
  • Options
    I got a big fat zero after only getting £50 in Jan. Unless I get a decent one soon there is no way I will get even 4.3% as I got last year. 
    It's the new rules, unless you live in the UK they only put 10% of your bonds in the draw ......  :D;)
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    It's the new rules, unless you live in the UK they only put 10% of your bonds in the draw ......  :D;)
    Still more chance of winning than I seem to have of getting anything out of my Valley Gold account 🤷🏻‍♂️😏🥺
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Still more chance of winning than I seem to have of getting anything out of my Valley Gold account 🤷🏻‍♂️😏🥺
    Join the club, I've 3 tickets and never win!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well the markets continue to perform thankfully, think I'm going to take/bank some profit in my SIPP which is up over 12% since October, crazy times, I've earned more than my net annual salary since October.

How is everyone else doing, banking any profits or letting it ride?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Well the markets continue to perform thankfully, think I'm going to take/bank some profit in my SIPP which is up over 12% since October, crazy times, I've earned more than my net annual salary since October.

I'm a firm believer of just sticking with it. Take profits when you've made a fair packet, but reinvest immediately into something else. No sitting on the sidelines. 

FTSE100 been lacklustre since the start of the year. US ahead a bit but no real signs of actual momentum anywhere. I expect markets are waiting on central Banks to be more positive in their rate cutting stance and also political pressures abound with quite a few Elections due this year. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Let it ride!!!

Same boat since October, a smidge under 12.5%. Almost 3% in Feb alone.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

I'm a firm believer of just sticking with it. Take profits when you've made a fair packet, but reinvest immediately into something else. No sitting on the sidelines. 

FTSE100 been lacklustre since the start of the year. US ahead a bit but no real signs of actual momentum anywhere. I expect markets are waiting on central Banks to be more positive in their rate cutting stance and also political pressures abound with quite a few Elections due this year. 
    Always the dilemma as to where to re-invest it. Just having made so much the past 4 months I'm tempted to sell a bit of profit and hold as cash for a short period (The SIPP provider pays interest on cash holdings, about 3% I think).

cafcpolo said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Let it ride!!!

Same boat since October, a smidge under 12.5%. Almost 3% in Feb alone.
    hhhmmmmm........... I'll review tomorrow!
  • Options
    Letting it ride for the moment but the US looks a bit frothy now. Finger is moving nearer to the sell button.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Letting it ride for the moment but the US looks a bit frothy now. Finger is moving nearer to the sell button.
    My thoughts entirely, I keep rebalancing the US down and then it grows again!
  • Options
    edited February 8
    Got a handful of BP shares that I bought in the COVID dip at just over two quid and think I might offload. Have been buying Ashtead on the dips but they are a way off my target price.
    Annoyed with myself for not buying Nvidia last year at about $300, but FOMO has caused me to pay twice that in the last month just so I've got some.
    Still got zynex shares which seem to be slowly clawing their way back. One to put away and forget.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Direct property with rental income. The shares element is in pensions/ISAs and the cash is in ISAs where possible. 
    Whilst it may not be the recommended asset diversification, you are by no means alone, and if you are comfortable then that's all that matters even if technically it isn't the greatest investment. I'd watch what's coming down the line though, can only think BTL will remain an easy target for any incoming government. You could see rent controls and potentially an even worsening tax position.

The friendly society where I am as a Trustee have done very very well out of property, far exceeded any other share investment by some margin due to in the main capital gain, but we aren't subject to tax (bar stamp duty if buying) which makes a big difference.

I still have found over the past x number of years that my pension is and has been far and away the best investment, on day 1 I'm up 66% compared to any other investment simply due to the tax relief.  So every £60 in immediately becomes £100, in fact since I changed job a few years back I'm in effect getting 62% tax relief on most of my contributions so £38 in of my net money becomes £100! It's simply impossible to beat that return.

But it is also a verdict on the financial services industry's long and ignoble track record in conning people that a physical asset seems much more secure to a lot of people.
    I dont think you can blame the financial services industry for that. Maybe blame them for various mis-selling scandals that have made the public wary of the different schemes that are available. Funny thing is,  since I first bought my first property in 1988 I've seen 3 periods of negative equity in the housing market but still the general public think that property is "as safe as houses". 

Just look at the different tax efficient schemes out there -

Pensions
    ISA's
    Investment Bonds 
    VCT's
    EIS
    I use all of those bar the investment bonds but I also work in the financial services industry, understand the risks and know how to spot the scams.  But I understand why people are wary of financial services.
    I'm looking at getting a bit more involved in EIS, what sort of things have you invested in (and how?) if you don't mind me asking? 
    Hi - sorry for the delay, this job is killing me, lol.

I'd be very happy to share detailed experiences of individual investments with with everyone but recognise it might not interest most people, so if there's not broader interest, will PM you.

At a summary level, I approached EIS in two ways.  The first, was via crowdfunding (Crowdcube).  I did it mainly out of professional interest as I'd had a failed attempt at launching a similar market back in the late nineties, backed by the DTI, and wanted to see how crowd funding was working.  

I invested a small amount in four companies and learned a lot of basic lessons on how not to invest! Of the four, one went bust, one ran off with my money, one is a zombie and the last fortunately has covered the losses of the other three.  I would strongly advise not to use crowdfunding for reasons that will become obvious below.

Since then, I've only invested in companies where (a) I understand the business and (b) I know the people running it.  That's been more successful but you need to know people which may not be helpful - but see below!  Also, bear in mind that I have had quite a lot of money tied up for over ten years in 5-6 companies - hence why I'm still working!  The first investment paid out capital this year, which means I'm in for free on that one but several times I've nearly lost the lot, particularly during the pandemic.  

Note that all the companies have tended to come back for more capital, so budget to put in half your risk appetite in the first instance.  One was taken over by Elliot Capital and they then threatened the seed investors with dilution - another big risk in private capital - and I was 'lucky enough' to get my money back.  The ones that are looking for more capital - the last resort is to go crowdfunding.  One recently raised a couple of hundred grand, which then allowed them to raise more from other backers. It's seen as messy, time-consuming and high maintenance but also that the investors are naive and a soft touch as they don;t understand how to price the risk.

If you haven't already used them, I'd be minded to use VCTs before EIS or use one of the vehicles that builds a portfolio of EIS investments.  That helps if you don't know people and don't have the time or expertise to use angel investment organisations.  Middlemen do skim off a lot in both cases but it's less risky as they do the due diligence, management and spread the risk over multiple companies - like an investment trust of private companies.  

Angel investment groups can source and pool investment expertise and lower the risk that way; you are then taking individual risk but you can put up less capital as you are amongst a group that all chip in.  From the companies' PoV, these groups are just as time consuming and high maintenance as crowd funders but the investors are far less naive, so tend only to be used by higher risk start ups and early scale-ups.

If you have spare capital to risk (i.e. after you've used your ISAs, maxed your pension, etc.) then the risk is controlled.  You get 30% back on the initial investment and if the company goes bust, you can claim the net of tax loss against your income tax bill.  So, for £100, your risk is actually 100 x 70% x 55% = £38.50, if you are a higher rate payer).  But it's not unlikely to lose the lot.  Gains (not dividends) are tax free, if you have held for more than 3 years.  VCTs operate similar.  Expect to lose half that initial 15% in fees, capital gains and dividends are tax free but there's no loss protection (it is also much less likely they'd go bust).

As Golfie says, not advice, DYOR etc., just sharing my experience!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Direct property with rental income. The shares element is in pensions/ISAs and the cash is in ISAs where possible. 
    Whilst it may not be the recommended asset diversification, you are by no means alone, and if you are comfortable then that's all that matters even if technically it isn't the greatest investment. I'd watch what's coming down the line though, can only think BTL will remain an easy target for any incoming government. You could see rent controls and potentially an even worsening tax position.

The friendly society where I am as a Trustee have done very very well out of property, far exceeded any other share investment by some margin due to in the main capital gain, but we aren't subject to tax (bar stamp duty if buying) which makes a big difference.

I still have found over the past x number of years that my pension is and has been far and away the best investment, on day 1 I'm up 66% compared to any other investment simply due to the tax relief.  So every £60 in immediately becomes £100, in fact since I changed job a few years back I'm in effect getting 62% tax relief on most of my contributions so £38 in of my net money becomes £100! It's simply impossible to beat that return.

But it is also a verdict on the financial services industry's long and ignoble track record in conning people that a physical asset seems much more secure to a lot of people.
    I dont think you can blame the financial services industry for that. Maybe blame them for various mis-selling scandals that have made the public wary of the different schemes that are available. Funny thing is,  since I first bought my first property in 1988 I've seen 3 periods of negative equity in the housing market but still the general public think that property is "as safe as houses". 

Just look at the different tax efficient schemes out there -

Pensions
    ISA's
    Investment Bonds 
    VCT's
    EIS
    I use all of those bar the investment bonds but I also work in the financial services industry, understand the risks and know how to spot the scams.  But I understand why people are wary of financial services.
    I'm looking at getting a bit more involved in EIS, what sort of things have you invested in (and how?) if you don't mind me asking? 
    Hi - sorry for the delay, this job is killing me, lol.

I'd be very happy to share detailed experiences of individual investments with with everyone but recognise it might not interest most people, so if there's not broader interest, will PM you.

At a summary level, I approached EIS in two ways.  The first, was via crowdfunding (Crowdcube).  I did it mainly out of professional interest as I'd had a failed attempt at launching a similar market back in the late nineties, backed by the DTI, and wanted to see how crowd funding was working.  

I invested a small amount in four companies and learned a lot of basic lessons on how not to invest! Of the four, one went bust, one ran off with my money, one is a zombie and the last fortunately has covered the losses of the other three.  I would strongly advise not to use crowdfunding for reasons that will become obvious below.

Since then, I've only invested in companies where (a) I understand the business and (b) I know the people running it.  That's been more successful but you need to know people which may not be helpful - but see below!  Also, bear in mind that I have had quite a lot of money tied up for over ten years in 5-6 companies - hence why I'm still working!  The first investment paid out capital this year, which means I'm in for free on that one but several times I've nearly lost the lot, particularly during the pandemic.  

Note that all the companies have tended to come back for more capital, so budget to put in half your risk appetite in the first instance.  One was taken over by Elliot Capital and they then threatened the seed investors with dilution - another big risk in private capital - and I was 'lucky enough' to get my money back.  The ones that are looking for more capital - the last resort is to go crowdfunding.  One recently raised a couple of hundred grand, which then allowed them to raise more from other backers. It's seen as messy, time-consuming and high maintenance but also that the investors are naive and a soft touch as they don;t understand how to price the risk.

If you haven't already used them, I'd be minded to use VCTs before EIS or use one of the vehicles that builds a portfolio of EIS investments.  That helps if you don't know people and don't have the time or expertise to use angel investment organisations.  Middlemen do skim off a lot in both cases but it's less risky as they do the due diligence, management and spread the risk over multiple companies - like an investment trust of private companies.  

Angel investment groups can source and pool investment expertise and lower the risk that way; you are then taking individual risk but you can put up less capital as you are amongst a group that all chip in.  From the companies' PoV, these groups are just as time consuming and high maintenance as crowd funders but the investors are far less naive, so tend only to be used by higher risk start ups and early scale-ups.

If you have spare capital to risk (i.e. after you've used your ISAs, maxed your pension, etc.) then the risk is controlled.  You get 30% back on the initial investment and if the company goes bust, you can claim the net of tax loss against your income tax bill.  So, for £100, your risk is actually 100 x 70% x 55% = £38.50, if you are a higher rate payer).  But it's not unlikely to lose the lot.  Gains (not dividends) are tax free, if you have held for more than 3 years.  VCTs operate similar.  Expect to lose half that initial 15% in fees, capital gains and dividends are tax free but there's no loss protection (it is also much less likely they'd go bust).

As Golfie says, not advice, DYOR etc., just sharing my experience!
    Absolutely fascinating, thanks. 

I'm currently in a business that has raised cash through EIS, put in a bit myself and I have to say that from everything I've seen when looking at other opportunities, your point around "knowing the people" is something I would thoroughly agree with. It's too risky otherwise. 
  • Options
    edited February 12
    Just opened an ISA with InvestEngine. 

Seems quite good, can't buy or sell equities, it's all ETFs. Pretty good app and no real costs from what I can see. 

Created my first portfolio, and the thing I like the most is that they tell you what regions, sectors and individual equities you are invested in and to what proportion. 

You could see for example if by buying too many ETFs with crossovers in them that you were overexposed to, let's say Microsoft/Apple etc, or that you had an overexposure to a specific nation/industry.