Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

1264265266267268270»

Comments

• Options
    Well it won't be me!

Can you guys who know about these things advise why the FTSE has zoomed off into orbit and do you suspect it to last?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Well at this rate there's only one horse in this race:

FTSE100 Level8,354.05  

NameLevelVariance% Variance
    @TelMc328100254.053.04%
    MrWalker8077277.053.32%
    WishIdStayedInThe Pub8047307.053.68%
    Thread Killer8016338.054.05%
    cafcpolo8011343.054.11%
    guinnessaddick8001353.054.23%
    Solidgone8001353.054.23%
    bobmunro7989365.054.37%
    Redman7988366.054.38%
    holyjo7979375.054.49%
    aitchyaddick7978376.054.50%
    Pedro457975379.054.54%
    blackpool727970384.054.60%
    CharltonKerry7966388.054.65%
    PragueAddick7965389.054.66%
    HardyAddick7951403.054.82%
    Jamescafc7950404.054.84%
    wwaddick7934420.055.03%
    Salad7918436.055.22%
    Hornchurch7902452.055.41%
    meldrew667901453.055.42%
    oohaahmortimer7891463.055.54%
    Rob7Lee7891463.055.54%
    Housty7882472.055.65%
    Bangkokaddick7878476.055.70%
    Lonelynorthernaddick7870484.055.79%
    Addick Addict7864490.055.87%
    Jon_CAFC_7864490.055.87%
    valleynick667863491.055.88%
    thecat7850504.056.03%
    CAFCWest7839515.056.17%
    TheGhostofTomHovi7830524.056.27%
    Huskaris7825529.056.33%
    Addickinedi7824530.056.34%
    LargeAddick7824530.056.34%
    IdleHans7810544.056.51%
    Daarrrzzettbum7801553.056.62%
    RalphMilne7795559.056.69%
    Morboe7768586.057.02%
    fat man on a moped7758596.057.13%
    StrikerFirmani7720634.057.59%
    golfaddick7680674.058.07%
    Covered End7579775.059.28%
    Fortune 82nd Minute7450904.0510.82%
    Lenglover7401953.0511.41%
    Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 69991355.0516.22%

🤞🏻😂
  • Options
    Well it won't be me!

Can you guys who know about these things advise why the FTSE has zoomed off into orbit and do you suspect it to last?
    It's been underperforming for years & it's really only making up for lost time. Some of this rise is down to interest rate expectations & better GDP growth. But nothing has fundamentally changed & it only needs one piece of bad news to see profit taking coming in & the FTSE falling below 8000. 
  • Options
    Well it won't be me!

It's been underperforming for years & it's really only making up for lost time. Some of this rise is down to interest rate expectations & better GDP growth. But nothing has fundamentally changed & it only needs one piece of bad news to see profit taking coming in & the FTSE falling below 8000. 
    That’s the spirit 😉

i suppose on a serious note so much about the economy is about attitude / talking up the prospects it feels. If we have reached the bottom since COVID and BREXIT reactions and a new government incoming in due course perhaps the only way is up. 
  • Options
    Well it won't be me!

That’s the spirit 😉

i suppose on a serious note so much about the economy is about attitude / talking up the prospects it feels. If we have reached the bottom since COVID and BREXIT reactions and a new government incoming in due course perhaps the only way is up. 
    I'd agree with Golfie that there's been some well overdue catch up and convergence with other indexes.  One of the things that's held it back (apart from having virtually no tech) is that it has a heavy weighting to oil majors and miners.  They've been going up with inflation, so you have a counter-balancing effect.

Where I disagree is that this looks like a genuine breakout.  In other words, it has broken out above all time highs, closed above those for several days in a row and done all that on decent volume.  So that previous high (8048?) should now act as support.  If I'm right, there will be a pull back to about there some time in the future, but that will be a buying opportunity.  Maybe a 'Sell in May' pull back?

Also, as Nick says, all the Covid and Brexit reactions are in the rear-view mirror.  People in the City I've spoken to see the change of government as no real change wrt business.  Not sure they're right but that's how they see it.

That assumes no outbreak of WW III, etc.  It also assumes the famous soft landing!  Interest rates going down are usually to ward off a recession, so I think the US markets are fully priced.  

For domestic, I still prefer the FTSE 250, which holds up well historically against the better indexes for returns.
  • Options
    Did a bit of spring-cleaning of my savings & Investments last week. Calculated that my Premium bonds returns so far this year are an utterly miserable 1.97%, in a holding of just under 43k. Meanwhile I was grateful to be able to renew £50k with DF Capital for another 12 months when this one expires early June, at 5.2%. The conclusion regarding my PBs is staring me in the face, but what do I do?  nothing, because there’s that voice in my head saying “the stats will even things out, next month I might get a (relatively) big win, blah, blah. Most of you hear that voice too, (except for @Rob7Lee but he’s a badass😉). I conclude that PB is an utterly genius financial invention, and the work of the Devil.
  • Options
    Did a bit of spring-cleaning of my savings & Investments last week. Calculated that my Premium bonds returns so far this year are an utterly miserable 1.97%, in a holding of just under 43k. Meanwhile I was grateful to be able to renew £50k with DF Capital for another 12 months when this one expires early June, at 5.2%. The conclusion regarding my PBs is staring me in the face, but what do I do?  nothing, because there’s that voice in my head saying “the stats will even things out, next month I might get a (relatively) big win, blah, blah. Most of you hear that voice too, (except for @Rob7Lee but he’s a badass😉). I conclude that PB is an utterly genius financial invention, and the work of the Devil.
    Mate can anyone jump on the DF capital.
  • Options
    cazo said:
    Unfortunately the deal I got was for existing customers only and the website says that they are not offering fixed rate deals at the moment. But there may be others still offering 5%. Take a look at MoneySavingExpert forum- Savings and Investments - Best fixed rate deals. Sorry I can’t provide a link right now, but that is the plače to get the definitive answer. 
  • Options
    cazo said:
    Unfortunately the deal I got was for existing customers only and the website says that they are not offering fixed rate deals at the moment. But there may be others still offering 5%. Take a look at MoneySavingExpert forum- Savings and Investments - Best fixed rate deals. Sorry I can’t provide a link right now, but that is the plače to get the definitive answer. 
    Haven't opened one myself, but Monument Bank offering 5.2%
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is Taylor saying it's a UK bull market or a world bull market?
    If you were investing  say 5 or 6 lump sums, what would you choose?

I'm thinking FTSE 100, FTSE 250 or All Share, S&P 500, US Equity tracker, Emerging Markets tracker, Japanese Tracker. 
  • Options
    My wife hears that voice, very loudly! ....... wrestling the premium bonds off her would absolutely end in divorce, or worse! I've tried numerous times, even showing one of her ISA's that 4 years ago was around the same value as her holding, now of course has out stripped premium bonds by a good £30k! But what do I know........ I'm just dreading the day she gets a big win and I'll never hear the end of 'I told you so'.

PB's are like gambling or the lottery with the promise of your stake back, it feels like it's a 'nothing to lose' game, but of course the potential is the erosion of the value of your stake, especially as if you have the maximum you can't even reinvest.

Like you say, it's a genius invention and the work of the devil!
  • Options
    Is Taylor saying it's a UK bull market or a world bull market?
    If you were investing  say 5 or 6 lump sums, what would you choose?

I'm thinking FTSE 100, FTSE 250 or All Share, S&P 500, US Equity tracker, Emerging Markets tracker, Japanese Tracker. 
    I think he's saying it's - possibly - a UK bull market.

As for lump sums, there are far more sensible people on here that will give you better advice.  What I would say, yes, use pooled finds, spread them out of geographies and sectors.  Plus drip them in gradually, rather than bang them in at once.  If I only followed my own advice :-)
  • Options
    edited May 14
    I’d be interested in the view of the Finance savvy guys on here, on my current financial setup. I’m thinking, it could be time for a radical change. 

I’m 67 this year, I get a £37,000 private pension, and £10,500 state pension. I have Cash investments of £110,000 of which £20,000 is in an ISA. The remainder is in 1 year bonds , or highest interest available Easy Access accounts. No mortgage or debts.

The recent Bull markets have sent my Investments to an all time high. I have £145,000 in a Stocks and Shares ISA, and £44,000 in a non ISA share account.

The cash and dividends currently give about £12,000 interest/dividend income. 

I’m thinking that as I’m 67 and not getting a younger, should I de risk my finances, a cash in my investments.  I’m thinking if I move my shares and funds into cash within the ISA, I can then transfer that out to a Cash ISA or ISA,s (easy access or term) and safeguard my future finances. 

Thoughts…..?
  • Options
    I’d be interested in the view of the Finance savvy guys on here, on my current financial setup. I’m thinking, it could be time for a radical change. 

I’m 67 this year, I get a £37,000 private pension, and £10,500 state pension. I have Cash investments of £110,000 of which £20,000 is in an ISA. The remainder is in 1 year bonds , or highest interest available Easy Access accounts. No mortgage or debts.

The recent Bull markets have sent my Investments to an all time high. I have £145,000 in a Stocks and Shares ISA, and £44,000 in a non ISA share account.

I’m thinking that as I’m 67 and not getting a younger, should I de risk my finances, a cash in my investments.  I’m thinking if I move my shares and funds into cash within the ISA, I can then transfer that out to a Cash ISA or ISA,s (easy access or term) and safeguard my future finances. 

Thoughts…..?
    I am not an IFA and many of my thoughts are different to what a lot of IFA's advise.
    A lot of the answer to this would lie in your lifestyle choices and how you think how, and indeed if you will spend your savings and investments. Do you intend having extravagent holidays, new cars in the next few years or is it mainly "rainy day money". have you wife, a house, children you may wish to either leave or gift some money to. 
    I am also assuming your private pension is index or inflation linked.
    A lot of IFA's will tell you at 67 you should reduce your investments considerably. However, if you are in good health, your life expectancy is nearly 20 years. Certainly historically it is a fact that stocks and shares have considerably outperformed cash, so you would be losing a huge opportunity in liquidating your investments. Having said all that I do think you are overbalanced in shares and a gradual reduction may be appropriate. 
    As I say I'm not an IFA and not advising!

• Options

Thoughts…..?
    I am an IFA but this does not constitute advice......

Moving some (not all) of your S&S ISA's into a Cash ISA FOR NOW is not a bad move, if you can get around 4% on it. As @redman says, you shouldn't be de-risking it all, but with interest rates as they are you might want to take advantage because in 2-3 years time Cash wont be returning the same as it is now. 

However, I mainly came on here to ask what you meant by "I get £37,000 private pension". Is that a Final Salary scheme paying you a guaranteed, index linked pension or a Personal Pension that you are drawing down ?. I can only assume the former but words like "private pension" means different things to different people. 

My main advice to anyone coming to me with these questions/issues is usually thus - 
    What are you trying to achieve ? More income? Or capital growth ?

How long do you want this money to last?  Just your lifetime or for others once you're gone ?

What level of tax do you pay? Looks like your savings interest & dividends are taking you into 40%. That being the case you need to re-structire your "savings" and make them much more tax efficient. Maximise your ISA allowance every year. Then move your savings into other areas that pay no immediate tax. Premium Bonds for starters. Then look at other investments. That's where my free advice stops. Everything from then on is regulated advice. 

• Options

Thoughts…..?
    My first questions on this are always two fold:

1. What is it you are saving and investing for?
    2. Are you actually spending any capital at the moment, or just the interest?

You are into the higher tax bracket so getting non ISA money into an ISA or dare I say premium bonds (to avoid any tax burden) is a must.

After that it comes back to the above, what is it you are investing/saving for? What is tyour lifestyle, do you envisage needing more in future years, do you want to spend more now? 

Regardless of the above I would as a start move the £44k out of a taxable account and either put in a Cash ISA or Premium bonds. After that it needs a lot more info really.