Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    edited April 23
    Thanks both.

I’ve only recently started contributing more into pension. My contribution and employer contribution combined is about £1,500 a month (of which about £1,100 is my part).

Up until a year ago my contribution was much smaller - just the default amount. So part of me feels like I’m playing catch up on that side now. 

Ideally I want to be able to tackle both pension (long term plan) and ISA (short term and long term plans) and not miss out on the benefits of either. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Thanks both.

I’ve only recently started contributing more into pension. My contribution and employer contribution combined is about £1,500 a month (of which about £1,100 is my part).

Up until a year ago my contribution was much smaller - just the default amount. So part of me feels like I’m playing catch up on that side now. 

Ideally I want to be able to tackle both pension (long term plan) and ISA (short term and long term plans) and not miss out on the benefits of either. 
    Before you read and pay more attention to this than you should, golfie and most of the others on here seem to really know their shit, I can only talk in layman terms I understand. 

In your situation, I would be paying more into my pension, let the compound do its thing. Much better to overpay now with more years for those compound seeds to grow into beanstalks and oak trees. 

ISAs the money is paid in AFTER you have paid tax on it so whilst I think they are brilliant. if you can pay a decent amount in its win win

• Options
    Carter said:
    cafctom said:
    Thanks both.

Before you read and pay more attention to this than you should, golfie and most of the others on here seem to really know their shit, I can only talk in layman terms I understand. 

In your situation, I would be paying more into my pension, let the compound do its thing. Much better to overpay now with more years for those compound seeds to grow into beanstalks and oak trees. 

ISAs the money is paid in AFTER you have paid tax on it so whilst I think they are brilliant. if you can pay a decent amount in its win win

Although this is sort of right, it's not quite as simple. If you're a 45% taxpayer, that is the tax relief you are getting on pension contributions. When you come to take it out you will be taxed depending on your tax rates. Also you can get 25% of it tax free, so effectively if you drawdown when you are a 40% taxpayer, effective tax rate is 30%. You can't draw pension money down until you reach a certain age (was 55 although may be a little higher now.
    Compared to ISA's where the money you pay in after tax and NI, but when you draw it it is tax free. I always think a simple rule can be that if you think you want the money within 5 years a cash ISA may be safer but for more long term a stocks and shares ISA may be better. 
    Personally until you build a pot I would avoid fees and go with an index tracker but I know Golfie (who is an expert) wouldn't agree. 
  • Options
    Interesting:

NameLevelVariance% Variance
    WishIdStayedInThe Pub80472.190.03%
    Thread Killer801628.810.36%
    MrWalker807732.190.40%
    cafcpolo801133.810.42%
    guinnessaddick800143.810.54%
    Solidgone800143.810.54%
    @TelMc32810055.190.69%
    bobmunro798955.810.69%
    Redman798856.810.71%
    holyjo797965.810.82%
    aitchyaddick797866.810.83%
    Pedro45797569.810.87%
    blackpool72797074.810.93%
    CharltonKerry796678.810.98%
    PragueAddick796579.810.99%
    HardyAddick795193.811.17%
    Jamescafc795094.811.18%
    wwaddick7934110.811.38%
    Salad7918126.811.58%
    Hornchurch7902142.811.78%
    meldrew667901143.811.79%
    oohaahmortimer7891153.811.91%
    Rob7Lee7891153.811.91%
    Housty7882162.812.02%
    Bangkokaddick7878166.812.07%
    Lonelynorthernaddick7870174.812.17%
    Addick Addict7864180.812.25%
    Jon_CAFC_7864180.812.25%
    valleynick667863181.812.26%
    thecat7850194.812.42%
    CAFCWest7839205.812.56%
    TheGhostofTomHovi7830214.812.67%
    Huskaris7825219.812.73%
    Addickinedi7824220.812.74%
    LargeAddick7824220.812.74%
    IdleHans7810234.812.92%
    Daarrrzzettbum7801243.813.03%
    RalphMilne7795249.813.11%
    Morboe7768276.813.44%
    fat man on a moped7758286.813.57%
    StrikerFirmani7720324.814.04%
    golfaddick7680364.814.53%
    Covered End7579465.815.79%
    Fortune 82nd Minute7450594.817.39%
    Lenglover7401643.818.00%
    Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 69991045.8113.00%
  • Options
    edited April 24
    Up another 25 points at the moment. Long way to go til the end of June though. Hoping, for other reasons, I’ve undercooked my own guess. 
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Up another 25 points at the moment. Long way to go til the end of June though. Hoping, for other reasons, I’ve undercooked my own guess. 
    Indeed, interesting that it's currently higher than everyone's guess apart from @TelMc32 !
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Looking for some general guidance as a bit of a novice in the investing game.

I’ve got myself into what I think is a decent situation for my age (36) where I don’t have any debt outside of mortgage and have been able to save fairly well. 

For years I held off on investing as I was saving for as big a deposit as possible for my house, which I now have. Now I want to do a bit more with my savings so it’s not all just sitting there in cash.

I’ve maxed out Premium Bonds and happy to let that sit there without any risk. I’ve just maxed out last years allowance for Cash ISA with my bank. First time I’ve opened one. I did that in bit of a rush just to use up the allowance as I didn’t want to miss out.

Now I’m thinking of how I can invest in a way that’s a bit more ‘advanced’ without doing anything too complicated or too risky. I’ve been a 45% tax payer the last few years and expecting this year could be similar. 

My gut feel is saying that a Stocks and Shares ISA is the way to go as a way of getting started. Potentially then with a view to doing a bit more with stocks once I learn the ropes.

Is my thinking along the right lines here, or is there something more obvious I should be looking at (pension for example)?

Any ideas much appreciated. 
    I've never been tempted to dip into my ISA so I see it similar to my pension, but you are a lot younger than me (56) so this may not apply. For me, pension contributions make sense as there's an instant 'gain' of more than 30% because you don't pay 45% income tax on your contributions.

When you take your private pension at 55 or later you have 25% tax free and the rest you drawdown just enough to keep you under the 40% tax band (~50k a year)  if you wanted. I try to put money in my ISA only after I've maxed my pension allowance. If I do, I put it on Exchange Traded Funds, which trade like shares but track indices like the S&P 500 rather than individual companies; I also have funds that pay relatively high dividends, and some bond funds.

I would also recommend repaying your mortgage quickly if the interest rate is high.

And finally consider investing in a second property to rent out if you can handle being a landlord. You get capital appreciation, rental income and leverage e.g. a 25k deposit buys you a 250k property, where the full 250k property appreciates, funded by the interest on the 225k mortgage. House prices in some places have doubled every 10 years or so. The main downside is that you have to pay capital gains tax when you sell the house.

Good luck.

Disclaimer: I'm not a financial, tax or pension advisor.
  • Options
    This might be of interst to some of you.....or to your children depending on age.

Accord have just launched a 99% mortgage. Basically you only need a £5k deposit  - maximum loan is £495k. Usual underwriting but they typically lend around 4.5x income. Not available on flats or shared ownership - houses only.

Would suit those on decent incomes but dont have a good deposit  (2/3 bed house costing £300k would usually need a 10% deposit = £30k). Lots of lenders do 95% loans but Accord is the first lender I know that is offering just a £5k deposit. 

Only available on a 5 year fixed & interest rate is 5.99%. 
  • Options
    This might be of interst to some of you.....or to your children depending on age.

Accord have just launched a 99% mortgage. Basically you only need a £5k deposit  - maximum loan is £495k. Usual underwriting but they typically lend around 4.5x income. Not available on flats or shared ownership - houses only.

Would suit those on decent incomes but dont have a good deposit  (2/3 bed house costing £300k would usually need a 10% deposit = £30k). Lots of lenders do 95% loans but Accord is the first lender I know that is offering just a £5k deposit. 

Sort of related, Golfie, a few of us were having a debate about the impact of rising rates and why we're not necessarily seeing delinquencies rising (I'm sure they are but it's not enough to be news yet and banks' provisions aren't rising massively).  

The main theory was that banks are re-mortgaging to 30, 35 years.  Is that something you are seeing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Interesting:

MrWalker807732.190.40%

Been a while since I've been in the top 3.  FWIW, I think this is a breakout and, whilst they'll be twists and turns, the FTSE will be well up by the end of the year now.  I'm still sticking to FTSE250 though.

On another note, I had a nice breakdown of all the costs, fees and charges that hit my SIPP account from Interactive brokers in the last tax year.  Even including spreads, the total annual costs, all in were 0.25%.  And even that was 80% covered by interest payments.  On top of that, I have to pay a flat £400 to a SIPP administrator.  All-in that is so, so much cheaper than Hargreaves.
  • Options

Not bad that.
    2 of you on combined income £100k.
    £450000 mortgage of 35 years £2500 a month
  • Options
    edited April 29
    Rob7Lee said:
    Interesting:

MrWalker807732.190.40%

Been a while since I've been in the top 3.  FWIW, I think this is a breakout and, whilst they'll be twists and turns, the FTSE will be well up by the end of the year now.  I'm still sticking to FTSE250 though.

On another note, I had a nice breakdown of all the costs, fees and charges that hit my SIPP account from Interactive brokers in the last tax year.  Even including spreads, the total annual costs, all in were 0.25%.  And even that was 80% covered by interest payments.  On top of that, I have to pay a flat £400 to a SIPP administrator.  All-in that is so, so much cheaper than Hargreaves.
    Do you mean Interactive Brokers or Interactive Investors?
    My SIPP is still being managed through/by the transferring IFA/Standard Life as it couldn't initially be avoided, due to a transfer from my defined benefit pension.
    The overall charges in total are around 2% pa and the fund is 6.2% down since opening in November 2021, which is partly due to the charges.
  • Options

Sort of related, Golfie, a few of us were having a debate about the impact of rising rates and why we're not necessarily seeing delinquencies rising (I'm sure they are but it's not enough to be news yet and banks' provisions aren't rising massively).  

The main theory was that banks are re-mortgaging to 30, 35 years.  Is that something you are seeing?
    Yes definitely. Most lenders will go up to age 70 or even 75, so if you are in your mid to late 30's and having to now remortgage from sub 2% to almost 5% then stretching the loan to 30 or even 35 is not uncommon. Most mortgages I've done recently (either new or remortgage) have been for more than 25 years. Typical new loan is 30 years. 
  • Options
    Has anyone on here used Zopa for their cash ISA and are they okay? My bank wouldn’t let me transfer money over to them.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Has anyone on here used Zopa for their cash ISA and are they okay? My bank wouldn’t let me transfer money over to them.
    Not for a cash ISA but for some cash savings. I've found it really easy to use, and withdrawals are back in my linked account almost instantly - much better than Raisin or HL can manage. Had no problems transferring initial deposits to them either.

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Interesting:

MrWalker807732.190.40%

Do you mean Interactive Brokers or Interactive Investors?
    My SIPP is still being managed through/by the transferring IFA/Standard Life as it couldn't initially be avoided, due to a transfer from my defined benefit pension.
    The overall charges in total are around 2% pa and the fund is 6.2% down since opening in November 2021, which is partly due to the charges.
    Interactive Brokers (IBKR).  US firm.  Now support SIPPs and ISAs.  I don't think they do junior ISAs and they definitely don't do LISAs.  But only a year ago they didn't do ISAs, so they are expanding.  It's execution only.  Don't be too put off by the complexity when you see it - it's relatively straightforward if you want it to be.  
  • Options
    £50 for me this month from PBs
  • Options
    £150 for Victor and £125 for Margaret from total £75k holding
  • Options
    Sod all
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sod all too
  • Options
    £100 this month
  • Options
    £250 for me, £200 for Mrs M - two max holdings.
  • Options
    £25 for me nothing for my wife. Max holdings. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Yep.  Have a cash ISA with them.  You open an account and have 1 primary account and then you can open pots (including a Cash ISA pot) and you can move money into the pots.  Only opened a few weeks ago but all very easy and app is very good.  Would recommend.
  • Options
    PB Max holding. £250 this month.
  • Options
    Who is this Max Holdings fella? A new signing to replace Dobson ? 😆😉
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Out of interest how much is maximum holding 
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Out of interest how much is maximum holding