Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
     Charteris gold & precious metals is a good fund to be in if you want exposure in that area. 
    Now if only you'd told us this 12 months ago... :-)
  • Options
    My SIPP is about 10% down from it's high on 17/02 which isn't too bad considering at one point it was 23% down. Slowly slowly catchy monkey.
  • Options
    I can't remember who but someone posted on here last week that they had just bought some Lloyds shares at 28p and that they would sell them when they got back to 32p.
    Currently 33p.
    Well done fill yer boots 
  • Options
    I can't remember who but someone posted on here last week that they had just bought some Lloyds shares at 28p and that they would sell them when they got back to 32p.
    Currently 33p.
    Well done fill yer boots 
     :):smile:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
     Charteris gold & precious metals is a good fund to be in if you want exposure in that area. 
    Probably wrong but think they are near a peak, 

My main holding was Ninety One Global Gold, up about 60% since mid March when it had a bot of a dip, but up 72% in a year.
    I would have to agree with you but the fund manager thinks not. Obviously they would say that as its in their interests for people to buy into their fund, but the reasons for the positivity were compelling. 
    I'm happy to take the profit, learnt long ago to never chase the top as invariably i'll get it wrong. My wife's now up nearly 40% on Go Ahead shares - funny how when I pick them if they drop it's my fault, if they go up she's a genius!
  • Options
    My daughter is thinking of dipping her toes into stocks and shares starting small. Does anyone have any good tips or suggestions on how to start and what to look out for?. Also any good (easy) reading material you can suggest?. Cheers.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Currently 33p.
    Well done fill yer boots 

Well done mate. 
    Unfortunately for me I bought mine in 2014 at 73p.
    So now I can only sit back and hope they come good in the future. 😣
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Currently 33p.
    Well done fill yer boots 

Well done mate. 
    Unfortunately for me I bought mine in 2014 at 73p.
    So now I can only sit back and hope they come good in the future. 😣
    Don't worry, i've done similar before, maybe sell some, see if they drop, buy them back etc? Done that many a time.
  • Options
    My daughter is thinking of dipping her toes into stocks and shares starting small. Does anyone have any good tips or suggestions on how to start and what to look out for?. Also any good (easy) reading material you can suggest?. Cheers.
    Age, does she have an ISA/LISA etc?

If starting small probably wants to go for one of the low platform charge places and stick to funds. Otherwise dealing charges will eat up any profit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

If starting small probably wants to go for one of the low platform charge places and stick to funds. Otherwise dealing charges will eat up any profit.
    Many thanks for the feedback. She is 25 and has (relatively) small mortgage. No, doesn't have anything at the moment but is just saving in a building society. 
  • Options
    Lloyds First Quarter results tomorrow..... so could see another rise or a retreat..... !
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Rob7Lee said:

Many thanks for the feedback. She is 25 and has (relatively) small mortgage. No, doesn't have anything at the moment but is just saving in a building society. 
    An ISA is probably best for her then, she could do a LISA and get the government bonus but as she already has her first house it's effectively tied up until retirement so unless she's looking for a 40 year savings plan probably not!

Vanguard is about the cheapest for fee's but only has their funds. Nutmeg has no charges for a year if you sign up Via money saving expert which is not to be sniffed at.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/stocks-shares-isas/

Nutmeg is pretty good for a first starter, you can answer a number of risk based questions and it allocates you to funds/exposure matching that risk appetite. I'd probably start there, then in a year or two once she's read up/done some homework could switch elsewhere and manage it herself.

Start with a monthly payment rather than a lump sum (although probably no harm putting a bit in to start it off), it's a good habit to get into and she'll do OK long term that way buying through the cycles each month.

Remember for her to keep a 'rainy day' amount in cash, sorry if teaching to suck eggs.......
  • Options
    Lloyds First Quarter results tomorrow..... so could see another rise or a retreat..... !
    Indeed, but which one!?! I can't see them rising much, most banks are going to have a hard time over the next few years.
  • Options
    If she is starting small then look at multi asset funds. These are a mix of equities & bonds, so she is not risking everything if the markets slump again. Various risk categories but probably best to stick to ones with at least 40% in equities but no more than 80%. 
  • Options
    FTSE100 up 2.6% today. Standing at 6110. Dow Jones ip the same at the moment.

Now, who was it that had it closing above 6500 by August...? 😊
  • Options

Can't remember what I said....... was it in this thread?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

An ISA is probably best for her then, she could do a LISA and get the government bonus but as she already has her first house it's effectively tied up until retirement so unless she's looking for a 40 year savings plan probably not!

Vanguard is about the cheapest for fee's but only has their funds. Nutmeg has no charges for a year if you sign up Via money saving expert which is not to be sniffed at.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/stocks-shares-isas/

Nutmeg is pretty good for a first starter, you can answer a number of risk based questions and it allocates you to funds/exposure matching that risk appetite. I'd probably start there, then in a year or two once she's read up/done some homework could switch elsewhere and manage it herself.

Start with a monthly payment rather than a lump sum (although probably no harm putting a bit in to start it off), it's a good habit to get into and she'll do OK long term that way buying through the cycles each month.

Remember for her to keep a 'rainy day' amount in cash, sorry if teaching to suck eggs.......
    Many thanks again Rob7Lee, I will pass the info onto her 👍
  • Options
    If she is starting small then look at multi asset funds. These are a mix of equities & bonds, so she is not risking everything if the markets slump again. Various risk categories but probably best to stick to ones with at least 40% in equities but no more than 80%. 
    Many thanks golfaddick. I will pass the info onto her 👍
  • Options
    I’ve started dropping small amounts into Crypto, ChainLink being the poison of choice via Coinbase.

fuck getting involved in crazy of bitcoin 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2020

31st July is a long way away, Golfie it's still a longer time ahead than the time since this all kicked off. I can't believe its only two months. Anyway, I've got all the predictions safe on my laptop  ;)
  • Options

LOL! I thought you might post tonight!

Much as I am delighted your predictions are coming good, all I can say is God knows how and please can I have whatever the traders are sniffing at the moment. Every sector you look at looks like it is in for a difficult time - banks (wait until the bad debts start kicking in); transport (airlines on the verge of bankruptcy, will be years before we start flying like we have got used to); retail (will there be any shops left soon?); manufacturing (BAE bleeding cash at an unprecedented scale; car manufacturers in crisis); power (oil prices collapsing); and so on.

And in America where the US economy has suffered its most severe contraction in more than a decade in the first quarter of the year (with the figures only hinting at the full crisis, since many of the restrictions now operating were not put in place until March) the Dow is up 530 points tonight!

Strange times.
  • Options

LOL! I thought you might post tonight!

Much as I am delighted your predictions are coming good, all I can say is God knows how and please can I have whatever the traders are sniffing at the moment. Every sector you look at looks like it is in for a difficult time - banks (wait until the bad debts start kicking in); transport (airlines on the verge of bankruptcy, will be years before we start flying like we have got used to); retail (will there be any shops left soon?); manufacturing (BAE bleeding cash at an unprecedented scale; car manufacturers in crisis); power (oil prices collapsing); and so on.

And in America where the US economy has suffered its most severe contraction in more than a decade in the first quarter of the year (with the figures only hinting at the full crisis, since many of the restrictions now operating were not put in place until March) the Dow is up 530 points tonight!

Strange times.

I can only assume traders & analysts think that last months "meltdown" was overblown. And that by furlowing staff means that its easier to restart businesses than having to start the hiring of staff from the off.
  • Options
    I had to laugh when on another forum people were talking about hyperinflation due to Governments printing money left, right & centre.

What has gone on before, in the late 1920's, and the 1970's isn't the same as what is going on now.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Rob7Lee said:
    NS&I have cancelled some of their planned attest rate reductions;

https://nsandi-corporate.com/news-research/news/nsi-supports-savers-unprecedented-time

Premium bonds look a little more attractive now!
    Just put 10k in.  Started looking on rightmove for when that guaranteed £1m rolls in.
  • Options
    I am planning significant works on our home resulting in a large lump sum being deposited with me imminently

Due to Corona the work will be delayed for a period of potentially 3 months. I’ll be paying interest on the capital sum. 

Whilst waiting to spend it , could I, should I bung it in premium bonds to get a little back ?

Any better zero risk short term investment options ?
  • Options
    holyjo said:
    I am planning significant works on our home resulting in a large lump sum being deposited with me imminently

Due to Corona the work will be delayed for a period of potentially 3 months. I’ll be paying interest on the capital sum. 

Whilst waiting to spend it , could I, should I bung it in premium bonds to get a little back ?

Investec and Marcus both currently paying 1.2% guaranteed for instant access. PB average 1.4% but not guaranteed - could be more, could be nothing!
    Is the lump sum a remortgage to pay for the work? If so could you delay the transfer?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    holyjo said:

Investec and Marcus both currently paying 1.2% guaranteed for instant access. PB average 1.4% but not guaranteed - could be more, could be nothing!
    Is the lump sum a remortgage to pay for the work? If so could you delay the transfer?
    Yes it is , but I’ve now (actively) exhausted my delay period , so must poop or get of the pot
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    @Rob7Lee, which platform do you use for trading individual stocks?
  • Options
    holyjo said:
    bobmunro said:
    holyjo said:

Yes it is , but I’ve now (actively) exhausted my delay period , so must poop or get of the pot
    Moneybox pay 1.45% on a 95 day notice account, so depends how quickly you'll need the money, wonder if you can put it in and give immediate notice.

Probably the key point is what interest are you paying on it, ie. can you turn a profit!