Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    holyjo said:
    I am planning significant works on our home resulting in a large lump sum being deposited with me imminently

Due to Corona the work will be delayed for a period of potentially 3 months. I’ll be paying interest on the capital sum. 

Whilst waiting to spend it , could I, should I bung it in premium bonds to get a little back ?

Any better zero risk short term investment options ?
    For just 3 months it's really not worth the hassle. You haven't said how much you are talking about, but if its say, £100k, then even at 1.2% that £300 in interest. As you say, maybe Premiums Bonds would be a better idea, but the limit is £50k I believe.
  • Options
    FTSE100 up 2.6% today. Standing at 6110. Dow Jones ip the same at the moment.

Now, who was it that had it closing above 6500 by August...? 😊
    And down 3.5% today.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

LOL! I thought you might post tonight!

Much as I am delighted your predictions are coming good, all I can say is God knows how and please can I have whatever the traders are sniffing at the moment. Every sector you look at looks like it is in for a difficult time - banks (wait until the bad debts start kicking in); transport (airlines on the verge of bankruptcy, will be years before we start flying like we have got used to); retail (will there be any shops left soon?); manufacturing (BAE bleeding cash at an unprecedented scale; car manufacturers in crisis); power (oil prices collapsing); and so on.

And in America where the US economy has suffered its most severe contraction in more than a decade in the first quarter of the year (with the figures only hinting at the full crisis, since many of the restrictions now operating were not put in place until March) the Dow is up 530 points tonight!

Strange times.
    Maybe some form of realism back in the market today.

And given the news hardly surprising. Lloyds Bank - so often seen as the bell-weather of the British economy - saw its pre-tax profits fall by 95% to £74m from £1.6bn in the same period a year ago after making a £1.4bn provision to cover the expected slump caused by the Coronavirus pandemic. (Didn't have long to wait for the bad debts to kick in that I mentioned yesterday). 

Like others on here, I'm still smarting from the cancellation of the Lloyds Dividend. Still the good old Shell shares I own will no doubt provide some consolation. Except they announced today that they are going to cut their dividend for the first time since the Second World War.

And BA announced it may give up flying from Gatwick.

Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. 

• Options
    I think in general dividends are going to be cut or disappear for a while, and thats only right.

I was disappointed to see Aon have cut staff salaries by 20% (all be it they say temporarily) but still paying the dividend to shareholders. Something wrong there, it was the staff who created the dividend!
  • Options
    Addickted said:

And down 3.5% today.
    Shit happens. Will be more up & downs over the next few months I'm sure. Still think the FTSE will be 6500ish by Aug. 
  • Options
    I only have a small percentage of my savings in S and S but can reveal that I am pretty much level at the moment. I have no idea what I'm doing so have followed @PragueAddick and @Rob7Lee and picked other bits and pieces I like the sound of.
  • Options
    I only have a small percentage of my savings in S and S but can reveal that I am pretty much level at the moment. I have no idea what I'm doing so have followed @PragueAddick and @Rob7Lee and picked other bits and pieces I like the sound of.
    You should be pretty happy with that, then. You can expect that from now on, when comparing 12 months ago, your performance will look worse, because in the last year we saw the big climb in markets. But we will all be in the same boat, performance wise. 

I often think I have no idea what I'm doing either, especially when I watch FTSE100 climbing back quickly from 5000 to 6000, while the biz pages are full of forecasts of unprecedented GDP falls and various companies large and small screaming for State support. So for what it's worth, when I seriously have no clue, my decision is "hold". :-)
  • Options
    You should be pretty happy with that, then. You can expect that from now on, when comparing 12 months ago, your performance will look worse, because in the last year we saw the big climb in markets. But we will all be in the same boat, performance wise. 

I often think I have no idea what I'm doing either, especially when I watch FTSE100 climbing back quickly from 5000 to 6000, while the biz pages are full of forecasts of unprecedented GDP falls and various companies large and small screaming for State support. So for what it's worth, when I seriously have no clue, my decision is "hold". :-)
    I’m dabbling in this but will leave it long term. My Dad used to say it wasn’t for a short term investment. I’ve inherited some of his too but leaving them as they seem to be doing OK, whatever they are!

• Options

I’m dabbling in this but will leave it long term. My Dad used to say it wasn’t for a short term investment. I’ve inherited some of his too but leaving them as they seem to be doing OK, whatever they are!

"Leaving them" has often proved to be the best strategy for us mug punters. As I discovered big time when we finally tracked down some Unilever shares which my wife had assumed she'd forfeited when she left the company in 2007. In that period those shares had smashed everything in sight, the financial recession, and every possible relevant index you could match it against. And she found herself with a personal account at ABN Amro Bank in the Netherlands stuffed full of euros, comprising 11 years of dividends, to boot. We'll never win big on the premium bonds, but the look on her face as I slowly relayed back what the lady at the bank was telling me down the phone, was probably something like that. Hopefully one day you'll take a look at your Dad's investments and get much the same feeling, and i'm sure it's what he would wish for you.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

I'm reasonably savvy and have about 15 individual stocks & shares that I've acquired over the years.  But I also have 2 SIPPs (1 in drawdown - although nothing taken yet) and most of the 12 or so funds that I've put money in have been suggestions by  @p@PragueAddick and @r@Rob7Lee.  And they've done OK.  Ones I picked myself (mainly H-L recommendations)...haven't!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Arsenetatters I agree to an extent generally leaving them will be ok, but worth reviewing what you are leaving them in. Are they in the best, worst or average performance funds or shares? Also what spread do you have?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    @Arsenetatters I agree to an extent generally leaving them will be ok, but worth reviewing what you are leaving them in. Are they in the best, worst or average performance funds or shares? Also what spread do you have?
    I was probably being a bit flippant when I said I’ll leave them long term. My ‘plan’ is to wait until the outcome of Coronavirus is more obvious and then review the whole lot. 
    Reasonable spread to hedge my bets. I don’t put all my eggs in one basket to use a hen phrase. 
    To be honest I’m like my Dad. I live a very frugal life, don’t have expensive tastes and rarely buy anything that isn’t related to my chicken rescues.  Like him I have savings to avoid feeling too anxious about ‘what if’. I inherited his savings and unless the house falls down someone will probably inherit mine. As an only child with no other family it will probably be a hen rescue charity!
  • Options
    Anyone got any experience using Charles Schwabb as a broker?
  • Options
    £75 this month.
  • Options
    Premium bond day...... and nowt for me, on a bit over 30k holding, £75 for Mrs Rob7Lee with max holding.

Think i'm going to find a new home for mine and sell the lot, I had a pretty good run last year and beat the average, but this year since dropping the holding a bit it hasn't been great.
  • Options
    £25
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Premium bond day...... and nowt for me, on a bit over 30k holding, £75 for Mrs Rob7Lee with max holding.

Think i'm going to find a new home for mine and sell the lot, I had a pretty good run last year and beat the average, but this year since dropping the holding a bit it hasn't been great.
    £25 for me, but have been on a relatively good run of late.

Would be interested to know where the new home might be. I've considered it several times but never really found a good answer, if 100% security against losses is a criterion. Banks busy reducing their "high" interest accounts right now, of course.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Would be interested to know where the new home might be. I've considered it several times but never really found a good answer, if 100% security against losses is a criterion. Banks busy reducing their "high" interest accounts right now, of course.
    In the UK there are Structured Products. The ones I usually advise on are investment based but there are a few deposit based ones too. Full FSCS protection & guaranteed to get your initial capital back. Last one I did for a client paid 3.5% pa over 3 yrs.....so 10.5% return. FTSE had to be at or above its initial starting level for it to make a return. Right now that looks like a good bet.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Rob7Lee said:

Not sure yet, I have other cash so it won't necessarily all be in cash, will have to put any cash in my wife's name to keep to paying no tax on any interest, otherwise I may as well put it under the mattress!

The odd fellows/Unity Mutual pay 2.25% for 5 years, but not sure I want to tie it up that long and still not a great return.

@golfaddick I assume they are the usual, i.e. guaranteed capital safe, but not guaranteed return? One's like Investec's 3 year plan, pays up to 10.5% if above the initial index, money back if not? Right now seems a sensible place......... IFA only though  ;)

EDIT

I'm tempted to put some in the FTSE 100 8 Year Kick-Out Plan 2

Bit higher risk, but if you leave the full 8 years and the FTSE is above the initial level returns capital plus 80%, can kick out from year two onwards at 10% per annum (again if above). If below 60% then you lose 1% for every 1% fall. But this one isn't FSCS protected so maybe not.....
  • Options
    £25 for me but Chaz jnr had 4x£25! Have been moving my Nationwide savings accounts to various N S &I products following pretty savage interest rate cuts by the former. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    £50 for me and £25 for the missus. Not doing too bad of late. Interest rates elsewhere are crap so the prizes plus the chance of a big win means I will be leaving our holdings where they are.
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    £25 for me but Chaz jnr had 4x£25! Have been moving my Nationwide savings accounts to various N S &I products following pretty savage interest rate cuts by the former. 
    Pisses me off big time that Nationwide markets itself as someone who wants to do the best for their members.

Interests rates go down by .65% but they put the rates down on their Loyalty saver accounts by .85%. Only a little thing but it just irks big time!

I hope everyone moves their money from Nationwide to NSI! 
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    Pisses me off big time that Nationwide markets itself as someone who wants to do the best for their members.

Interests rates go down by .65% but they put the rates down on their Loyalty saver accounts by .85%. Only a little thing but it just irks big time!

I hope everyone moves their money from Nationwide to NSI! 
    They have certainly had a big hit from here. Me, the wife and our son have moved a tidy sum. The NS&I offers seem as good a holding option as anywhere.
  • Options
    £125 for me from Ernie...same as last month 😊.  Currently running at 1.74% return for year.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Had an ISA mature with Yorkshire Building Society recently. Their best offer was to offer me 0.1% to stay with them! So much for valuing existing customers. Needless to say I've transferred it elsewhere. If they insult me with such a derisory offer they can poke it.
  • Options
    So I’ve been saving the money I Would have given SouthEastern and Pret. Load in a 1.1% cash isa, lump in stocks and shares isa, bit in ETFs, and a slice on Crypto. Useful pot of cash, nicely spread. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Santander are paying 1.5% on a current account up to 20k I believe but charge £5 per month account fee.  Means for 20k you get around£200 per year return.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    If anyone fancies a little play with crypto and get yourself some free bitcoin thrown in, use the link 

https://www.coinbase.com/join/zarb_zo?src=ios-link
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Santander are paying 1.5% on a current account up to 20k I believe but charge £5 per month account fee.  Means for 20k you get around£200 per year return.
    Drops to 1% today. One of the reasons I moved some cash from them to Nationwide who then dropped their rates! Hope NS&I don’t do the same. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Had an ISA mature with Yorkshire Building Society recently. Their best offer was to offer me 0.1% to stay with them! So much for valuing existing customers. Needless to say I've transferred it elsewhere. If they insult me with such a derisory offer they can poke it.
    Snap. My wife has 2 cash ISAs expiring with the YBS this month and as you say, she can't roll the money over to any of their "high" paying interest accounts. Absurd - so much for loyalty.

I actually phoned the manager of my local branch and asked why. Apparently, it's because the "powers that be" got fed up with people churning their accounts and moving their money into higher paying ones. (We do that, seems eminently sensible to me). The manager i spoke to sympathised with me and said it caused them a lot of grief on the shop floor.

Like you, we'll be transferring the funds elsewhere.