Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    Naff all for me this month on 30,050, £50 for Mrs Rob7Lee on the max.

Mine are being sold later today!

Yet again though my father in law wins, £150....... he's so jammy!
  • Options
    £50 for me...re-invested!
  • Options
    Crypto investments up about 20%, huge risk, but with decent upsides! 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Think I'll stay well clear thanks. If it's not in a standard fund managers remit then that's good enough for me.

Came ion to say that as from yesterday (1st June) my SIPP is higher than it was pre-Covid.

Crisis.......what crisis ?

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Think I'll stay well clear thanks. If it's not in a standard fund managers remit then that's good enough for me.

Came ion to say that as from yesterday (1st June) my SIPP is higher than it was pre-Covid.

And I'm at parity (the difference with yours is probably the chunk of Woodford I'm still stuck with. I'm happy for that, and especially happy for some of the alarmed posters from back in March. But as for the crisis, Golfie, the bankruptcies have not been declared yet... 
  • Options
    Rothko said:

And I'm at parity (the difference with yours is probably the chunk of Woodford I'm still stuck with. I'm happy for that, and especially happy for some of the alarmed posters from back in March. But as for the crisis, Golfie, the bankruptcies have not been declared yet... 
    I was (tongue in cheek) echoing Harold Wilson's famous line.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

True and we discussed this at work yesterday.  I am speaking with a leading restructuring lawyer tomorrow as well.

Lots of pressure on the accountants from large clients about the ability to sign accounts off and confirm a going concern for the next 12 months.  Perhaps some breathing space with new insolvency law, but not much and may not help a vast swathe of certain sectors.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Fair play for calling it right. So far. Out of interest, what date are you comparing your SIPP to?  The end of January (when Covid still hadn't really hit) or the end of February (when markets had fallen sharply)?

But this rise in the markets is all bonkers to me. Just today I have seen one of the most amazing statistics I have ever seen - more than a quarter of all workers (8.7 million) are now on furlough leave. That means that one-in-four of Britain's 33.1m workers are having their salary paid by the state at the moment. Incredible. And you have to ask how many of these people are going to find they don’t have a job to go back to? Unemployment at 10% anyone?

And over the water, as America's cities burn and their unemployment rates rise to dangerous levels from a societal point of view, still the Dow carries on rising. How?

• Options
    FTSE 100 is still @15% down on it's February high.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Just looked back at my 13th March share tip's......

1. Go-Ahead Group - 1,016 now 1,115 - up 9.75%
    2. BAT 2,678 now 3,201 - up 19.5%
    3. Lloyds Bank 37.89 now 31.92 - down 15.76%
    4. PMO (if they drop back to sub 15p, risky though) 16.01 now 30.57 - up 90.9%
    5. Tullow Oil (if you wish to potentially lose everything or double your money) 10.92 now 24.58 - up 125%
    6. Greggs (everyone loves a sausage roll) 1,660 now 1,826 - up 10%

So 5 out of 6 not bad.....
    Any more tips?  :D
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Rothko said:

Fair play for calling it right. So far. Out of interest, what date are you comparing your SIPP to?  The end of January (when Covid still hadn't really hit) or the end of February (when markets had fallen sharply)?

But this rise in the markets is all bonkers to me. Just today I have seen one of the most amazing statistics I have ever seen - more than a quarter of all workers (8.7 million) are now on furlough leave. That means that one-in-four of Britain's 33.1m workers are having their salary paid by the state at the moment. Incredible. And you have to ask how many of these people are going to find they don’t have a job to go back to? Unemployment at 10% anyone?

And over the water, as America's cities burn and their unemployment rates rise to dangerous levels from a societal point of view, still the Dow carries on rising. How?

I'm measuring my Sipp to mid Feb when it reached it's all time high. It had now surpassed that. To put it in context, it is up 18% since Dec 31st 2018. The markets fell in late 2018 due to the US/China trade war & worries over Brexit. Rose again in early 2019 when the Fed indicated that they were not going to raise interest rates.

As you say, its bonkers that the value of my SIPP has seemingly been unaffected with the news of 8m people sitting at home with no real spending in the economy and America at war with itself.

However, some of that is due to the funds I have in there. The best US equity fund, the best Strategic Bond fund, one of the best global equity funds, an Absolute Return fund for hedging purposes & 3 other funds that are top decile.
  • Options
    FTSE 100 is still @15% down on it's February high.
    I know, which is why I've been increasing my exposure to UK equities. They were  undervalued 4 months ago (according to some fund managers) so investing now hoping to get some growth when things start to get back to normal. 

FWIW. I had a client who wanted to take advantage to the falls in late March. Invested into an ISA on 2nd April & again on the 8th. I recommended a couple of multi-asset funds as a starter. His £40k investment is now worth £47k. Not bad in 2 months.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Mines getting there, still a bit down but much better then I’d expected.
  • Options
    £25 for me this month. Better than nowt.
  • Options
    @golfaddick Damn, I should have bet you on our respective SIPP performances, that would be more tense than the index forecast game. Mind you I have trouble getting total SIPP performance for time lengths of my choice, from the H-L platform. That isnt excusable. 

It sounds like we have a similar portfolio, in which case I would just say again, you might be surprised if you are able to dig into your portfolio and see just how high a % of your total is taken up by a few Big Tech firms, even if you havent got a tech fund per se in there. I think they have been powering a lot of fund growth, and I worry they might fall sharply, after all some of them are basically advertising companies, and you know what happens to advertising in a recession.
  • Options
    @golfaddick Damn, I should have bet you on our respective SIPP performances, that would be more tense than the index forecast game. Mind you I have trouble getting total SIPP performance for time lengths of my choice, from the H-L platform. That isnt excusable. 

It sounds like we have a similar portfolio, in which case I would just say again, you might be surprised if you are able to dig into your portfolio and see just how high a % of your total is taken up by a few Big Tech firms, even if you havent got a tech fund per se in there. I think they have been powering a lot of fund growth, and I worry they might fall sharply, after all some of them are basically advertising companies, and you know what happens to advertising in a recession.
    I was listening in to a webcast by JP Morgan last week as they go through a whole host of impressive charts. They drilled down the different US sectors (IT, Consumer, Healthcare, Manufacturing etc.) and, as you say, the returns from the big 3 or 4 Tech firms are outstanding. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Just looked back at my 13th March share tip's......

1. Go-Ahead Group - 1,016 now 1,115 - up 9.75%
    2. BAT 2,678 now 3,201 - up 19.5%
    3. Lloyds Bank 37.89 now 31.92 - down 15.76%
    4. PMO (if they drop back to sub 15p, risky though) 16.01 now 30.57 - up 90.9%
    5. Tullow Oil (if you wish to potentially lose everything or double your money) 10.92 now 24.58 - up 125%
    6. Greggs (everyone loves a sausage roll) 1,660 now 1,826 - up 10%

So 5 out of 6 not bad.....
    Any more tips?  :D
    Lloyds have come back a little today.

Right now i'm really not sure what individual shares i'd invest in. I can't fathom it right now. Maybe a small punt on Metro Bank, Think Go-Ahead are still worth buying at the current value. The bookies open again soon so maybe one of them......

Or maybe don't listen to me!
  • Options
    15% up a bunch of Slack stock I brought via Freetrade a couple of weeks ago, finally opened their US fractional service up and opened up a load more stuff. 
  • Options
    Baillie Gifford are on more than a roll. Their funds seems to be leading each sector I either have or am looking to buy. Their way of working must be more than slick for this to be possible.....would think the bubble will burst surely?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Baillie Gifford are on more than a roll. Their funds seems to be leading each sector I either have or am looking to buy. Their way of working must be more than slick for this to be possible.....would think the bubble will burst surely?
    Maybe just good fund managers or the group have a certain way of thinking that is currently working - although the funds have been good performers over 3,5 and even 10 years. 

As an aside, as someone who daily looks & researches funds I am sometimes loathe to recommend too many funds from the same investment house in case a client thinks I am being paid or somehow coerced into using them.  As it stands I have 3 BG funds in my SIPP & looking to add a couple more. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Maybe just good fund managers or the group have a certain way of thinking that is currently working - although the funds have been good performers over 3,5 and even 10 years. 

As an aside, as someone who daily looks & researches funds I am sometimes loathe to recommend too many funds from the same investment house in case a client thinks I am being paid or somehow coerced into using them.  As it stands I have 3 BG funds in my SIPP & looking to add a couple more. 
    I bought into their positive change fund 21st April, just checked and up 15%. Will have a look at a few others.
  • Options
    I notice Carnival PLC (Cruises) have gone up by 18% today (albeit from a low price). Wonder why? 
  • Options
    FTSE now at 6468. @golfaddick will become quite impossible :smiley:

Not knocking it, but a bit perplexed. How can I be back above the March crash, when the main indices are still about 15% off? It can't all be the Big Tech boys, although they are a big part of it. What else is out-performing, Golfie? any ideas? 
  • Options

Not knocking it, but a bit perplexed. How can I be back above the March crash, when the main indices are still about 15% off? It can't all be the Big Tech boys, although they are a big part of it. What else is out-performing, Golfie? any ideas? 
    Thought it was all down to Apple, Alphabet, Facebook, Amazon and Microsoft, and if you stripped them out, it'll be a complete clusterf**k. 

What was it I heard, companies who trade in bits are fine, those in atoms are screwed. 
  • Options

Didn't he say July or August though? His timing is well out ;-)
  • Options

Well as I said previously at its Feb high my Share/Fund portfolio was at £170,000.  I currently stand at £142,000, so your all doing well to be back where you started, or even in front. 

Holding me back are my large drops on individual holdings in. 

Lloyds Banking Group
    HSBC
    Standard Charter
    BP
    Shell
    Easyjet
    IAG
    G4S
    SSE
    Centrica
    Vodafone
    Rank
    Associated Brit Foods
  • Options
    ROTW said:
    Would you clever people consider the construction industry being a strong buy following the earlier announcement?
    The UK homebuilders especially?
    Also looking at SIG PLC.

Strong balance sheet when cash in the bank has its advantages.

Looking pretty strong ATM
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Well as I said previously at its Feb high my Share/Fund portfolio was at £170,000.  I currently stand at £142,000, so your all doing well to be back where you started, or even in front. 

Holding me back are my large drops on individual holdings in. 

Lloyds Banking Group
    HSBC
    Standard Charter
    BP
    Shell
    Easyjet
    IAG
    G4S
    SSE
    Centrica
    Vodafone
    Rank
    Associated Brit Foods
    Proof that you should be holding shares in a collective & not as individual shares. Looking at my clients portfolios most are now around where they were in Feb. A few are still lower than they were at the start of the year but no more than 3%-4%. Client  rang me yesterday worried about a few of her investments. A recent statement showed her ISA at £109k when she had transferred £124k just 2 years ago. I gladly updated her with the fact it was now standing at £121k.....and she had been withdrawing £400 pm out of it since last year.

FTSE100 finished at 6484. All European markets up between 2%-3.5%. Dow currently up over 3% as well.  

I'm not going to gloat as there is still 2 months until the final reckoning & there could be a 2nd wave or some other nasty news. I'm.hoping the FTSE can get close above 6500 & close to 7000 by August as I have clients in some Structured Products that mature then & I could do with going to  see them with some double digit gains, considering they've been holding them for 5 years.
  • Options

I have to say I really have no idea. I leave that amount of detail to the fund managers. That's what we all pay them for......and why I don't usually advise a tracker /passive fund