Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

Over the years I have transferred all my pension schemes into one......including a couple of old final salary schemes (hardly worth talking about - 3 years in one & 8 years in another) as well as an FSAVC. All that money now sits in my SIPP, which I have control of & can invest whenever & wherever I like.....with the advantage of planning the date of my retirement & accessing parts of my pension as I see fit. 
    Same as me, I transferred my only Final Salary scheme about 5-6 years ago into my SIPP, It's currently done a lot better than had I remained in the FS scheme. Seemed a no brainer at the time as it was around 38 times they were offering to take out.
  • edited June 2020
    I've just started claiming my biggest pension pot, got a lump sum, just about into 6 figures, planning to use company like Fidelity/Aviva and put it in a spread of funds, mainly low/medium risk.
    I will spread it, perhaps £10k a month for example. I don't have any ISAs. We have fair bit of equity in the house so will probably avoid putting more into property investments.
    Any suggestions appreciated on fund types that might be promising, and ones to avoid? 

• Just seen the closing figures on the financial markets.

FTSE100 down almost 4%. Most European markets down between 4.5% -5%. Dow Jones currently down 5.3%. 

Is this the 2nd wave......
  • Salad said:
    I've just started claiming my biggest pension pot, got a lump sum, just about into 6 figures, planning to use company like Fidelity/Aviva and put it in a spread of funds, mainly low/medium risk.
    I will spread it, perhaps £10k a month for example. I don't have any ISAs. We have fair bit of equity in the house so will probably avoid putting more into property investments.
    Any suggestions appreciated on fund types that might be promising, and ones to avoid? 

You need a balanced portfolio that contains equities, corporate bonds, gilts & even commercial property funds. The latter are mostly closed atm so leave that asset class until later on the year but still try to have between 5%-10% in them when you can.

The split between the other asset classes is really dependant on your attitude to risk & which is something you should discuss with a financial advisor.
  • This looks the 2nd wave. Golfie would you advise moving holdings in funds to cash and then transfer (reinvest) into funds once I feel more comfortable? 
  • mendonca said:
    This looks the 2nd wave. Golfie would you advise moving holdings in funds to cash and then transfer (reinvest) into funds once I feel more comfortable? 
    Hard to say really. Even if you do a switch tonight the fund prices that will be used will be based on tonight's closing at best. So you will be selling in a falling market. Obviously you could get out now & the markets continue to fall so you wont be getting out at the bottom, but that is a risky strategy. It is usually best just to sit tight, but if you have spare capital then it won't be a bad idea to be buying now. FTSE100 down around 6% from this time last week & down around 25% from it's all time high.
  • Dow Jones now 7% down. 
  • Just seen the closing figures on the financial markets.

FTSE100 down almost 4%. Most European markets down between 4.5% -5%. Dow Jones currently down 5.3%. 

Is this the 2nd wave......
    Hope so, I cashed in 80% of my SIPP Tuesday & Wednesday this week  :D as in converted the funds to cash, moving provider.
  • Dow Jones now 7% down. 
    Closed down 6.9%.

News saying that there are fears of a 2nd wave of Covid in the US. 2500 new cases in Texas today.......which is scary as they have just resumed the PGA golf in the states & the first tournamont is coming from Texas.
  • Dow Jones now 7% down. 
    Closed down 6.9%.

News saying that there are fears of a 2nd wave of Covid in the US. 2500 new cases in Texas today.......which is scary as they have just resumed the PGA golf in the states & the first tournamont is coming from Texas.
    It's no wonder when you see the news about the way things have been going over there.
    I'm really surprised that the markets haven't been hit harder considering the non-stop news of companies laying people off. Can't see the bad news stopping anytime soon. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm going to dip out of my UK mid cap fund and hold them as cash. It's recovered well since dropping 45pc during the 'dip' and will be better to do that than give me sleepless nights! 
  • mendonca said:
    I'm going to dip out of my UK mid cap fund and hold them as cash. It's recovered well since dropping 45pc during the 'dip' and will be better to do that than give me sleepless nights! 
    Watching a webinar yesterday from JP Morgan about US equities........they are still say Tech & Heathcare out there. UK based I've tried avoiding Equity income funds due  to the lack of dividends this year. Still think large caps are the way to go. 

• edited June 2020
    Thanks Golfie. I'm sitting tight with most of my portfolio, espically large caps, tech and healthcare.

I guess I am trying to apply my learning from what I would have done in the first cv19 hit crash. No real panic but recent gains have felt too good to be true, without a bang!
  • mendonca said:
    Thanks Golfie. I'm keeping hold of most esp large caps, tech and healthcare. I guess am trying to apply my learning from what I would have done in the first cv19 hit crash. No real panic but recent gains have felt too good to be true, without a bang!
    You could try absolu5te return funds and/or gold. 

I invested into the Argonaut Absolute return fund last year & it's been great  performer. Basically hedges against a fall in the FTSE. Win win.
  • https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/premium-bond-backlog-hkpvbwqbm

“Savers racing to get best cash deals by opening Premium Bonds or accounts with NS&I are struggling with its overloaded customer services“.

This is where all of our cash savings have been put for the time being. Various accounts are offering the easiest savings options at the moment. Seems we aren’t the only ones :)
  • Of course I am just a punter, unlike @golfaddick , but I really would not be putting any top-up money in yet, as part of a buy-the- dip strategy. I’m looking for another 10% at least off todaýs values.
  • Chaz Hill said:
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/premium-bond-backlog-hkpvbwqbm

“Savers racing to get best cash deals by opening Premium Bonds or accounts with NS&I are struggling with its overloaded customer services“.

This is where all of our cash savings have been put for the time being. Various accounts are offering the easiest savings options at the moment. Seems we aren’t the only ones :)

Most of my cash is now with NS&I - safe as the Bank of England and paying 1.16% on Income Bonds with instant access.
  • Of course I am just a punter, unlike @golfaddick , but I really would not be putting any top-up money in yet, as part of a buy-the- dip strategy. I’m looking for another 10% at least off todaýs values.
    Most markets up a tad today. 
    FTSE 100 up nearly 3% today, despite all the negative economic indicators.

The stock market is more confusing than CAFC ownership.
  • Addickted said:
    Of course I am just a punter, unlike @golfaddick , but I really would not be putting any top-up money in yet, as part of a buy-the- dip strategy. I’m looking for another 10% at least off todaýs values.
    FTSE 100 up nearly 3% today, despite all the negative economic indicators.

The stock market is more confusing than CAFC ownership.
    Not just UK markets, all European markets up over 3% & Dow Jones currently up 2.4%.

I hope @mendonca isnt still holding cash  
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2020
    Ha. Am actually holding 8pc cash as have over exposed myself over the past year or two in the markets. Last year, I moved most cash isa's that I'd collected since a kid into funds too. I needed to remove myself from funds that are invested solely in one high-risk index.

Glad to see most of my B.G funds shoot up by 5pc today, but its worth remembering that the past 10 weeks haven't been the best. My overall portfolio is up 19pc so am happy with the recovery but want to remain on top of it.
  • bobmunro said:
    Just took part in a 'fireside chat' with John Butters, CIO at Weatherbys. Key takes from the chat:

- The Banks are fine - not over exposed at all.
    - Governments will spend as we move out of the pandemic, coupled with central bank QE
    - Governments can borrow at pretty much 0% and Boris needs to protect his northern seats!
    - Inflation likely to remain low, although possible short-term spike due to supply chain issues.
    - No fear of inflationary pressures from QE
    - Markets were likely to have bottomed at 5,000 when things looked at their darkest. Could be more volatility as we climb what he described as the wall of worry, but we've seen the worst.
    - Investment Managers have been out-performed by the major indices - it is most definitely not a stock pickers market.
    - If holding cash just drip feed it into investment funds - don't think you can pick your timing - emotion is not a good investment guide!
    - Stick to your chosen risk profile!
    I'll add to that......BOE meet tomorrow with the consensus that they will reduce rates to 0%. Mind you that is only a reduction of 0.1%.......but something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime & a far cry from the double digit rates of the late eighties / early nineties.
  • And in case you missed it. Inflation figures out today showed May's was just 0.5%. 
  • bobmunro said:
    Just took part in a 'fireside chat' with John Butters, CIO at Weatherbys. Key takes from the chat:

- Governments will spend as we move out of the pandemic, coupled with central bank QE
    - Governments can borrow at pretty much 0% and Boris needs to protect his northern seats!
    - Inflation likely to remain low, although possible short-term spike due to supply chain issues.
    - Markets were likely to have bottomed at 5,000 when things looked at their darkest. Could be more volatility as we climb what he described as the wall of worry, but we've seen the worst.
    - Investment Managers have been out-performed by the major indices - it is most definitely not a stock pickers market.
    - If holding cash just drip feed it into investment funds - don't think you can pick your timing - emotion is not a good investment guide!
    I'll add to that......BOE meet tomorrow with the consensus that they will reduce rates to 0%. Mind you that is only a reduction of 0.1%.......but something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime & a far cry from the double digit rates of the late eighties / early nineties.

How long before the banks charge us to deposit funds?
    I need to hollow out that mattress!
  • bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

How long before the banks charge us to deposit funds?
    I need to hollow out that mattress!
    It’s very unlikely to happen for personal (and probably SME business clients) @bobmunro

BoE need to take into account that building societies are heavily reliant on retail deposits to fund their mortgage lending and they make up a third of U.K. mortgage lending. When rates go negative, building societies in particular, are vulnerable to margin compression as deposit rates will be floored at 0% and loan/mortgage rates fall. 

The problem for the Bank is judging whether going negative will actually stimulate the economy or see banks/building societies try to offset losses with increased margins.

The Euro went negative in 2014 and most UK banks have only started charging large corporate clients in the last 6-9 months and even then, only those with significant average balances (over €10m). 

• Gents being new to this self investment fun and games some advice please dividends from the veteran investors on here;

As stated I began a fund share portfolio back in April and due to the depressed market I am showing a healthy return thus far (more luck than judgement as I went with my gut feel), however re Dividends where can you get info on shares that will pay these and how long do you need to hold them and if so what quantity is required Etc.....

Any advice will be gratefully received. 
  • edited June 2020
    Gents being new to this self investment fun and games some advice please dividends from the veteran investors on here;

As stated I began a fund share portfolio back in April and due to the depressed market I am showing a healthy return thus far (more luck than judgement as I went with my gut feel), however re Dividends where can you get info on shares that will pay these and how long do you need to hold them and if so what quantity is required Etc.....

There are key dates to look out for:

Declaration Date: This is the date the Board of Directors announce that a dividend will be paid. They will also announce the Record Date and the Payment Date (s)
    Record Date: As long as you own the shares by the Record Date then you will be eligible for the dividend - i.e. you are on the record of shareholders on that date. You don't need to own them for any specific length of time, just as long as it's before the Record Date. Nor is there a need for a holding of a particular size - one share will be enough to get the dividend for that one share. Dividends are declared per share.
    Ex-Dividend Date: This is 2 days before the Record Date - you must place the order to buy before the share goes ex-dividend to hit the Record Date - it takes two days from order to appearing on the Record.
    Payment Date: You will receive the dividends on this date (or a number of dates if for example the dividend is spread over several installments).

As long as you were on the record as a shareholder on the Record Date then you will receive the dividend, even if you sell the shares before the Payment Date. Not particularly advisable as an investment strategy as the share value will almost certainly reduce by the amount of the dividend per share when the share goes ex-dividend.

Some research is useful in terms of history of dividends for a particular stock. There are no guarantees that a dividend will be declared and there are a number of factors that will determine the declaration of a dividend and the size of that dividend. A key measure is 'cover' - how many times do earnings cover the dividend. e.g. if earnings per share (EPS) is £1.00 and the dividend per share (DPS) is 50p then it is deemed to have a cover of 2 times. If the dividend was 25p then id is covered 4 times - and so on. A cover of 2 x is really the minimum cover.

• bobmunro said:
    Gents being new to this self investment fun and games some advice please dividends from the veteran investors on here;

Declaration Date: This is the date the Board of Directors announce that a dividend will be paid. They will also announce the Record Date and the Payment Date (s)
    Record Date: As long as you own the shares by the Record Date then you will be eligible for the dividend - i.e. you are on the record of shareholders on that date. You don't need to own them for any specific length of time, just as long as it's before the Record Date. Nor is there a need for a holding of a particular size - one share will be enough to get the dividend for that one share. Dividends are declared per share.
    Ex-Dividend Date: This is 2 days before the Record Date - you must place the order to buy before the share goes ex-dividend to hit the Record Date - it takes two days from order to appearing on the Record.
    Payment Date: You will receive the dividends on this date (or a number of dates if for example the dividend is spread over several installments).

As long as you were on the record as a shareholder on the Record Date then you will receive the dividend, even if you sell the shares before the Payment Date. Not particularly advisable as an investment strategy as the share value will almost certainly reduce by the amount of the dividend per share when the share goes ex-dividend.

Some research is useful in terms of history of dividends for a particular stock. There are no guarantees that a dividend will be declared and there are a number of factors that will determine the declaration of a dividend and the size of that dividend. A key measure is 'cover' - how many times do earnings cover the dividend. e.g. if earnings per share (EPS) is £1.00 and the dividend per share (DPS) is 50p then it is deemed to have a cover of 2 times. If the dividend was 25p then id is covered 4 times - and so on. A cover of 2 x is really the minimum cover.

Cheers Bob, some very good pointers there, much appreciated.
  • bobmunro said:

Bloody well done mate. All I was going to post was to make sure you buy them before they go xd.....and be mindful that the share price will fall slightly afterwards because of the dividend payment. But you went above & beyond the call of duty.