Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Well friends, 1. August is drawing near. The day when we examine the predictions a few of us made about where our chosen market indices would be at this time. I've got them all logged but I had a look last week and have just one question for @WishIdStayedinthePub, hope you are logging in. Which S&P index were you referring to as you second index choice? 

I'll calculate the % variation and express each as optimistic if your prediction exceeded the index figure, and pessimistic v-v. Of course @golfaddick is the man to beat here, him being an IFA and all that  :) When I had a look, he wasn't the leader, I have to say. But there are a few days to go of course.

The tension mounts....
    I'm going to sell all my holdings in the next few days. It will cause a market crash and bring it back towards my prediction. 

Alls fair in love, war and predictions on Charlton Life. :-) 😂 

• Well friends, 1. August is drawing near. The day when we examine the predictions a few of us made about where our chosen market indices would be at this time. I've got them all logged but I had a look last week and have just one question for @WishIdStayedinthePub, hope you are logging in. Which S&P index were you referring to as you second index choice? 

I'll calculate the % variation and express each as optimistic if your prediction exceeded the index figure, and pessimistic v-v. Of course @golfaddick is the man to beat here, him being an IFA and all that  :) When I had a look, he wasn't the leader, I have to say. But there are a few days to go of course.

The tension mounts....
    Morning, everyone. 

I honestly can’t remember. Will have to have a dig through my posts and find it. Time flies!

The tension mounts....
    Morning, everyone. 

I honestly can’t remember. Will have to have a dig through my posts and find it. Time flies!
    I had S&P 500 at 2880 and Dow at 26,000. 

The tension mounts....
    Morning, everyone. 

Thanks, you just wrote at the time "S&P" so I wanted to be 100% sure. Your Dow prediction may be a winner.

The tension mounts....
    Morning, everyone. 

Thanks, you just wrote at the time "S&P" so I wanted to be 100% sure. Your Dow prediction may be a winner.
    I'm not so sure.  I think we are on the brink of quite a sharp sell off but that's been on the cards for a while, so who knows in this mad market.
  • did I even guess?
  • Any recommendations for you guys are holding/selling? 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    did I even guess?
    Oh yes, you did! :-)
  • Rob7Lee said:
    did I even guess?
    Oh good........ no doubt time to look foolish  :(
  • Rob7Lee said:
    did I even guess?

I can't remember if I did either.
    For the record, if I did and it's way off, I was drunk. If I did and pretty close then it was an astute judgement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Is it time I put out some fake news.......like Trump is really a Commie or that Brexit didnt really happen. Need the FTSE up another 400-odd points.....😄
  • Just setting up the spreadsheet :-)....
    I think you should take a vote on giving it another 3 months :-) 
    I think you should take a vote on giving it another 3 months :-) 
    There are a couple of participants who would be verrrry smug if we closed it now...were it not for the fact that they  both selected two indices to forecast, and in both cases their second forecast completely screws the first :-)  

@bobmunro I double -checked but sadly it looks like you didn't have a punt :-)
  • Outperforming stocks and shares, gold, oil and property by vast margins over the last 12 years?
    Banksy. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Outperforming stocks and shares, gold, oil and property by vast margins over the last 12 years?
    Banksy. 
    Because of supply & demand. If you could walk into any old store & pick one up I expect they would be going for £20.
  • For anyone that listened, banksy prices are going through the roof again. Last piece I got for 5k in November, is now 15k +
  • JamesSeed said:
    Outperforming stocks and shares, gold, oil and property by vast margins over the last 12 years?
    Banksy. 

Art generally (and of course Banksy in particular) can be stunning investments, but of course the secret is buying in advance of a move upwards. Originals, or small run signed prints, will always be in limited supply - there will be no more. And as Golfie says, most price moves are based on limited supply, whether that's art, Rolex stainless steel sports models, antiques or classic cars.
    @shine166 has already convinced me in regards art - and I thank him for that.
  • edited July 2020
    Centrica up 20% this morning (sold a chunk of their US business for $3.6bn). It's a start but I could do with them going up by 250% !! And it would be nice if they started paying dividends again....
  • I think it's going to be an interesting week for markets.  Could still be a few twists and turns before the deadline!
  • Sponsored links:

• I think it's going to be an interesting week for markets.  Could still be a few twists and turns before the deadline!
    I've got my man on it. Beeks he's called. Got me the Orange Juice crop report.....😁
  • Shitty shit shit.

Just like our football team it looks like I've been hit with a last minute winner by the markets.....  

FTSE down by over 2%, with major European markets down even more.

There goes my prediction for the end of the month.
  • Shitty shit shit.

Just like our football team it looks like I've been hit with a last minute winner by the markets.....  

The FTSE has been Charltonised! 
  • Don't worry, premium bonds next week, by law of averages a Charlton fan has got to win the big one at some point! 24 a year made millionaires, so surely once every say 7 years it's coming to Charlton?!

The tension mounts....
    I'm going to sell all my holdings in the next few days. It will cause a market crash and bring it back towards my prediction. 

Alls fair in love, war and predictions on Charlton Life. :-) 😂 

Sorry guys but I did warn you that I would be selling my holdings in order to crash the market and get it back nearer to my prediction. I gave you every chance to get out with a profit. 

Another 170 point fall tomorrow and bring on that prediction table!   
  • edited July 2020
    Shitty shit shit.

Ahem. I did actually do a check on how everyone was doing a couple of weeks ago, and have kept the results....
     >:) 

• Friends, i crave your forgiveness, i do have the final indices logged, and worked out everyone’s prediction accuracies, but pressure of other CL activities meant I just could not find the time to present them as they deserve today. I will do it tomorrow, when y’all back at your desks moving and shaking.

Have the mug punters managed to upstage the professionals? Could a monkey have beaten all of us? Find out tomorrow. :-)
  • Friends, i crave your forgiveness, i do have the final indices logged, and worked out everyone’s prediction accuracies, but pressure of other CL activities meant I just could not find the time to present them as they deserve today. I will do it tomorrow, when y’all back at your desks moving and shaking.

Have the mug punters managed to upstage the professionals? Could a monkey have beaten all of us? Find out tomorrow. :-)
    You little tease........

• Right then, punters....

Genuinely it is not easy to set out the results in this format, so I'll do it bit by bit. Firstly the final indices. A total of four were nominated by us punters, although three of us, including the pro. bottled it hedged their bets by picking two indices. As we will see, this prevarication slightly backfired on them...anyway I digress...the indices

S&P500

Dow 

FTSE100

FTSE All Wld

• And now, punters forecasts and the variance with actual in % terms. Nex to the % an "O" means the punter has been too optimistic and a "P", too pessimistic....listed in order of who posted predictions first...best three calls in bold

@WishIdStayedinthePub S&P500    2880 ; 12.0% P;        Dow 26,000; 1.6% P
    @Rob7Lee                      FTSE 100: 7150; 21.2% O
    @PragueAddick              All Wld:    354.19 ; 2.5% P
    @golfaddick                   FTSE 100: 7000: 18.7% O         All Wld 365; 0.4% O
    @oohaahmortimer          FTSE100:  6200:  5.1% O          All Wld 330: 9.2% P
    @Athletico Charlton     FTSE100:  6765:  14.7%            
    @Fortune 82nd Minute FTSE100:  5300: 10.1% P

So there we are...and the winner is..well you tell me, not least because the two best calls came from people who also made quite bad calls in their other of two predictions  :) and joshing aside that's quite interesting.

Anyway, there we are, good game, lorra fun  :)

Comments? Mea culpas??