Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    Hi @golfaddick

i am just catching up with your comments on the Lindsell Train funds. You said you sold. However you did not say why. Funds are not supposed to be traded like shares, is the IFA mantra to mug punters. Surely if you sold you must have taken a look at the portfolios and decided that many of their bigger company holdings are worrying you long term. One of the biggest holdings - also for Fundsmith - is Unilever. I watch it carefully as my wife also has a direct holding, as an ex employee. After being hit in March it recovered sharply, but in the last month it has been flat- lining. LT and Fundsmith are heavy on similar FMCG global giants. I would suggest that’s why the funds themselves are flatlining. 

You can turn your back on Unilever and co. if you want to. I’m holding.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust keeps delivering. Went up a mad 5% today. It's performance has been quite something over different time periods.
  • Options
    Hi @golfaddick

i am just catching up with your comments on the Lindsell Train funds. You said you sold. However you did not say why. Funds are not supposed to be traded like shares, is the IFA mantra to mug punters. Surely if you sold you must have taken a look at the portfolios and decided that many of their bigger company holdings are worrying you long term. One of the biggest holdings - also for Fundsmith - is Unilever. I watch it carefully as my wife also has a direct holding, as an ex employee. After being hit in March it recovered sharply, but in the last month it has been flat- lining. LT and Fundsmith are heavy on similar FMCG global giants. I would suggest that’s why the funds themselves are flatlining. 

You can turn your back on Unilever and co. if you want to. I’m holding.
    Hi @PragueAddick. I cant say that I've delved that deeply into all the underlying investments & I would caveat this by saying this is my SIPP I'm talking about & not client portfolios. 

Listening to a Webinar by Jupiter last week & they were going through their Jupiter Merlin Portfolios where they hold both funds. The discussion was around "value" v "growth" stocks & how they are more of a "value" manager. I'm more the opposite & wanting to take advantage of the 20% drop in the FTSE. Unilever is a staple brand & will chug along nicely like you say. I'm looking for stocks that can take advantage of this pandemic & will be at the forefront when things get going again. 
  • Options
    Its one of the continuing flaws in the entire setup that it is not easy, as a fund investor, to delve into the holdings of a fund. On the H-L platform, all they give you is the top ten holdings. I think it ought to be mandatory that all funds holdings should be one click away from an investor’s eyeballs.
  • Options
    Agree with that. I found an article last week comparing the exact holdings of Fundsmith and Lindsell Global. Think a quick google search will find the breakdown.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Its one of the continuing flaws in the entire setup that it is not easy, as a fund investor, to delve into the holdings of a fund. On the H-L platform, all they give you is the top ten holdings. I think it ought to be mandatory that all funds holdings should be one click away from an investor’s eyeballs.
    I agree, but I think it's only a requirement to list the top 10 holdings on the fund fact sheet. I'm usually more interested in the asset / country split. The reason why some funds do a lot better than their peers is because of where they invest. For example, a global fund might currently invest 50% in the US whereas another only 20%. Makes a big difference if the first is investing in the big 4 (Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Google) and the other not. 
  • Options
    Crypto up 20%, of which there was a 15% rise on one, hopefully I've got in cheap, and it'll grow to a decent amount per token. 
  • Options
    Out of interest I was checking a clients ISA holdings today as I made a few fund switches last month.

Baillie Gifford American. It has gone up 16.5% over the past 3 weeks.

Crazy.
  • Options
    I need to find a good time to reduce the % of my allocation in Jupiter European. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I need to find a good time to reduce the % of my allocation in Jupiter European. 
    How much do you have in it & is it your only holding in European equities ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It currently makes up 14pc of my portfolio as its performed very well over the years. My other European fund is BG European which has been better performing of late. I feel this weighting for Europe is slightly on the high side.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    It currently makes up 14pc of my portfolio as its performed very well over the years. My other European fund is BG European which has been better performing of late. I feel this weighting for Europe is slightly on the high side.
    I agree. I would usually say a maximum of around 8%. You could probably do with halving your exposure to Europe. Maybe ditch the Jupiter fund & keep the BG one.
  • Options
    I caveat that on the basis of a balanced portfolio that contains bonds as well as equities. If it was fully in equities then maybe 10%

• Options
    Thanks Golfie. The portfolio does also hold bonds/gilts too. Good to hear some tips regarding balance.
  • Options
    Out of interest I was checking a clients ISA holdings today as I made a few fund switches last month.

Baillie Gifford American. It has gone up 16.5% over the past 3 weeks.

Crazy.
    There was an FT article a few days ago summarising Morningstar top performers during 2020 and this was the top fund. 54% if I recall. But the article didnt make clear the timeframe, whether from Jan 1 or last 12 months. Of course, past performance etc...
  • Options
    Stamp duty suspended until March 2021, awaiting to see if that applies to investors/second homes (expect the extra 3% will still apply).
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Stamp duty suspended until March 2021, awaiting to see if that applies to investors/second homes (expect the extra 3% will still apply).

I've just told my two to get their houses on the market asap. They are both looking to move in the next 12 months but now is the time.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    As Paul Johnson said afterwards, it could well be extended should the economy still be in the doldrums into the new year. 

And its only on properties up to £500k. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    As Paul Johnson said afterwards, it could well be extended should the economy still be in the doldrums into the new year. 

They can get a five bed detached up here for that!!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:

:D 

Where I buy tends to be sub £200k for a 3 bed, some of the three bed Maisonettes sub 125k anyway.

Whats the rental market like in Stoke Bob?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's the first £500k that has had stamp duty removed, so it's an across the board saving.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Addickted said:
    It's the first £500k that has had stamp duty removed, so it's an across the board saving.
    2nd home/landords etc pay an extra 3%, i'm guessing that won't be removed (but more than happy if he does!)

EDIT; "People buying second homes and buy-to-let properties will also benefit, but will still have to to pay the 3% extra duty due on the entire price."
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Where I buy tends to be sub £200k for a 3 bed, some of the three bed Maisonettes sub 125k anyway.

In Stoke you can get a lot for £200k (my comment on £500k related to Cheshire, dear boy!).

My two own houses in Stoke - 3 bed detached, 5 years old around £200k and a 3 bed End of Terrace, 2 years old - around £190k. Interested??

They are both looking to move - one to Nantwich (£450-500k for a big 4 bet detached - new) and the other to Alsager (£350-400k for the same).

Rental market in Stoke is very strong - helped by there being two Universities.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    bloody hell, wonder what the rental income would be pm? Not that I'm interested in buying …..
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    bloody hell, wonder what the rental income would be pm? Not that I'm interested in buying …..
    About 450 by a quick look for what's up for rent.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:

In Stoke you can get a lot for £200k (my comment on £500k related to Cheshire, dear boy!).

My two own houses in Stoke - 3 bed detached, 5 years old around £200k and a 3 bed End of Terrace, 2 years old - around £190k. Interested??

They are both looking to move - one to Nantwich (£450-500k for a big 4 bet detached - new) and the other to Alsager (£350-400k for the same).

Rental market in Stoke is very strong - helped by there being two Universities.
    I've been toying with Student lets, probably not a good time to start right now, occupation set to be down quite a bit this coming year by all accounts.
  • Options
    Scottish Mortagge Investment Trust is showing no signs of slowing down! Wish I didn't ignore it last week but it's makeup looks very similar to a few funds I hold. 
  • Options
    There does not seem to be much positive news on the horizon for the markets, across the world!
  • Options
    Well friends, 1. August is drawing near. The day when we examine the predictions a few of us made about where our chosen market indices would be at this time. I've got them all logged but I had a look last week and have just one question for @WishIdStayedinthePub, hope you are logging in. Which S&P index were you referring to as you second index choice? 

I'll calculate the % variation and express each as optimistic if your prediction exceeded the index figure, and pessimistic v-v. Of course @golfaddick is the man to beat here, him being an IFA and all that  :) When I had a look, he wasn't the leader, I have to say. But there are a few days to go of course.

The tension mounts....