Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• And now, punters forecasts and the variance with actual in % terms. Nex to the % an "O" means the punter has been too optimistic and a "P", too pessimistic....listed in order of who posted predictions first...best three calls in bold

@WishIdStayedinthePub S&P500    2880 ; 12.0% P;        Dow 26,000; 1.6% P
    @Rob7Lee                      FTSE 100: 7150; 21.2% O
    @PragueAddick              All Wld:    354.19 ; 2.5% P
    @golfaddick                   FTSE 100: 7000: 18.7% O         All Wld 365; 0.4% O
    @oohaahmortimer          FTSE100:  6200:  5.1% O          All Wld 330: 9.2% P
    @Athletico Charlton     FTSE100:  6765:  14.7%            
    @Fortune 82nd Minute FTSE100:  5300: 10.1% P

So there we are...and the winner is..well you tell me, not least because the two best calls came from people who also made quite bad calls in their other of two predictions  :) and joshing aside that's quite interesting.

Anyway, there we are, good game, lorra fun  :)

Comments? Mea culpas?? 
    If only I'd followed my instincts in real life - I was much more pessimistic!!

Anyone for an end of year punt?
  • Just got 20k of premium bonds. 
    This is by far my largest investment. 
    Honestly I have no faith in what the future holds. 

• And now, punters forecasts and the variance with actual in % terms. Nex to the % an "O" means the punter has been too optimistic and a "P", too pessimistic....listed in order of who posted predictions first...best three calls in bold

@golfaddick                   FTSE 100: 7000: 18.7% O         All Wld 365; 0.4% O

So there we are...and the winner is..well you tell me, not least because the two best calls came from people who also made quite bad calls in their other of two predictions  :) and joshing aside that's quite interesting.

Comments? Mea culpas?? 
    Ouch. I thought I went for 6500 on the FTSE100, but even then I would have been miles out (although its had a good day today with it closing up 2% & above 6000 again)

Problem with trying to predict the end of the year close is the US elections in November.......and poxy Covid too !!

Will give it some thought.
  • Would be good to do end of year repeat.

and this time, one Lifer one vote one index! :-)
  • JamesSeed said:
    Outperforming stocks and shares, gold, oil and property by vast margins over the last 12 years?
    Banksy. 
    Because of supply & demand. If you could walk into any old store & pick one up I expect they would be going for £20.
    You could say the same about gold. Or diamonds. 

• edited August 2020
    shine166 said:
    For anyone that listened, banksy prices are going through the roof again. Last piece I got for 5k in November, is now 15k +
    DM me if you want to sell it @shine166
    Depending on what it is of course 🙂
  • I declare Prague the winner.
  • edited August 2020
    bobmunro said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Outperforming stocks and shares, gold, oil and property by vast margins over the last 12 years?
    Banksy. 

Art generally (and of course Banksy in particular) can be stunning investments, but of course the secret is buying in advance of a move upwards. Originals, or small run signed prints, will always be in limited supply - there will be no more. And as Golfie says, most price moves are based on limited supply, whether that's art, Rolex stainless steel sports models, antiques or classic cars.
    @shine166 has already convinced me in regards art - and I thank him for that.
    Plenty of limited run prints out there that don’t necessarily go up that much in value, or might even go down. As you know, it’s knowing who to buy and when. 
    Banksy’s prints were massively underpriced when he sold them originally, say £400, but if you were lucky enough (or queued long enough) to get one, they were worth a grand or two, or even more, by the time you got it home. Now it’s silly money really, and you have to wonder when the bubble will burst. 
    Want to take another look ??

@oohaahmortimer was closest to the FTSE100 closing figure. Given a couple of days either way & he would have been spot on. 

And I was closest to the All World Index closing value 😊

@oohaahmortimer was closest to the FTSE100 closing figure. Given a couple of days either way & he would have been spot on. 

Averages dear chap.
    You both had 2 guesses and on average Prague won, no doubt about it.
    (Unless you only want to include one of your guesses and conveniently ignore the 18.7% over estimation?
  • Sponsored links:

• I don’t even know what the World Index is and can’t remember guessing what I did for it , my memory is mush 
    So I agree with Prague one index for all at end of year .

Prague is declared the winner and his prize is to organise the next one 
  • Decent month on the Premium Bonds - £125 for me.
  • Nil for me.
  • got a chunk to invest, any pointers?

Also has anyone used Charles Schwab to invest before?

I actually went for 356 on the all world but was way out on the S&P.

I agree - Prague the winner.

Next time, tighter rules, one index!

But which index....?  I would have thought most UK based lifers would want to go for the FTSE as that the one that is more pertinent to them but then @PragueAddick might have other ideas.
  • CAFCsayer said:
    got a chunk to invest, any pointers?

Also has anyone used Charles Schwab to invest before?
    How much are you talking about  ??  Might make a difference to charges and to what & where to invest in.
  • Decent month on the Premium Bonds - £125 for me.
    Strange...the app is saying results for August due on the 5th...
  • cafc-west said:
    Decent month on the Premium Bonds - £125 for me.
    Strange...the app is saying results for August due on the 5th...
    Mine is saying 29 days until next draw on 2nd Sept.
  • Another good PB month £150 (6x£25) for Jnr. £25 for the other half and bugger all for me. Mind you he is on max holding with his property deposit temporarily invested.
  • Sponsored links:

But which index....?  I would have thought most UK based lifers would want to go for the FTSE as that the one that is more pertinent to them but then @PragueAddick might have other ideas.
    My idea is, you can only choose one index, but which index, is  up to you. I chose the All World as I have a portfolio that's diversified geographically, and I assume most participants would too, but it would be entirely up to the individual punter. 

Surprised you'd say FTSE 100 would be most pertinent to most Lifers, though Golfie. I know the constituents keep changing, but recently you might as well have called it Futski 100 due to all the Russian owned companies polluting it.

Anyway, I'm up for another go, it will be extremely difficult, as you say, and I will probably fall flat on my face :-)

Shall we say entries by 17,00 Monday?
  • edited August 2020
    bobmunro said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Banksy. 

Art generally (and of course Banksy in particular) can be stunning investments, but of course the secret is buying in advance of a move upwards. Originals, or small run signed prints, will always be in limited supply - there will be no more. And as Golfie says, most price moves are based on limited supply, whether that's art, Rolex stainless steel sports models, antiques or classic cars.
    @shine166 has already convinced me in regards art - and I thank him for that.
    Banksy is a no brainer, he now only releases to VIPs for big money, that have backed him since the early days and his popularity seems to have to limit right now. Another 12 months and I might be able to cash in and buy a mortgage free house just off of the work of his that I own. 
  • shine166 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Banksy. 
    The first print I purchased for £175 is now worth around 40k
    feck me. great investment.
  • edited August 2020
    shine166 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Banksy. 
    feck me. great investment.
    Some of his prices are even more mental, a specific print which was also the same price back in the day.. recently fetched 150k at auction. 
  • Wow, when did you purchase the Print?

Comments? Mea culpas?? 
    @PragueAddick

Thanks for organising. A good bit of fun!

Personally, I think the All Wld Index guesses above should be null and void! Maths and Statistics are not my strong point (as I will no doubt be told!) but if you have an Index that only traverses a narrow path is it not more liable to have smaller percentage increases/decreases than something like the FTSE which trades over a much larger span?

As regards the FTSE guesses, as an openly admitted amateur, mug punter (who is trading for a bit of "fun" rather than trying to build up a pension pot) it's good to see I have as much (or little) idea where the Index will go as the experts! Which rather confirms my jaundiced views that no-one really knows where the market will go and that the predictions from the experts for the next year carried in the January newspapers are always showing the market rising because they don't want to scare off investors!

I'm up for a Christmas guess. Definitely one guess only. But as it looks easier to me guessing the All World Index rather than the FTSE or Dow Jones anyone picking the latter indexes is going to be at a disadvantage. Or are they?

• edited August 2020
    mendonca said:
    Wow, when did you purchase the Print?
    2004 was my first one, unfortunately I'd probably be retired by now if I didn't have uni etc bills to pay over the years !. 
  • my Crypto investments are up 130% in the last month, that's not bad at all. 
  • edited August 2020
    shine166 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Banksy. 
    For £175 you got a signed one I believe. 
    Which print was this one?