Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Gents being new to this self investment fun and games some advice please dividends from the veteran investors on here;

As stated I began a fund share portfolio back in April and due to the depressed market I am showing a healthy return thus far (more luck than judgement as I went with my gut feel), however re Dividends where can you get info on shares that will pay these and how long do you need to hold them and if so what quantity is required Etc.....

Any advice will be gratefully received. 
    My question would be why are you looking for dividends...?  If it's an income issue then there are more ways to catch a mackerel. 
  • An don’t forget that although you as a shareholder, in this democratic capitalist country own the company, you actually don’t. The minute the Government orders your Directors to jump, they will ask how high and immediately do exactly as told to. This will include, buying bankrupt companies to save the banking system, and suspending dividends whenever, the Gov thinks it seems appropriate.  
  • Gents being new to this self investment fun and games some advice please dividends from the veteran investors on here;

As stated I began a fund share portfolio back in April and due to the depressed market I am showing a healthy return thus far (more luck than judgement as I went with my gut feel), however re Dividends where can you get info on shares that will pay these and how long do you need to hold them and if so what quantity is required Etc.....

My question would be why are you looking for dividends...?  If it's an income issue then there are more ways to catch a mackerel. 
    It was just a question Golfie as I am slowly learning this game & was curious from you investor guru's as to dividend strategy, be grateful please for some pointers from you as well re other ways to catch the mackerel as you say 👍

It was just a question Golfie as I am slowly learning this game & was curious from you investor guru's as to dividend strategy, be grateful please for some pointers from you as well re other ways to catch the mackerel as you say 👍
    I was only asking as years & years ago the main reason why people bought shares was because of the dividend. Capital growth was secondary. 

If one of my clients was looking to generate  income during retirement I would say it's easier just to withdraw capital from your investments. All platforms & most other providers facilitate the cancellation of units on a monthly basis. If your portfolio (on average) is growing around 6% pa then you could take out 3%-4% and still have enough growth to keep pace or even beat inflation. No need to go round chasing dividends or other income bearing stock just to pay out an income.

I was only asking as years & years ago the main reason why people bought shares was because of the dividend. Capital growth was secondary. 

If one of my clients was looking to generate  income during retirement I would say it's easier just to withdraw capital from your investments. All platforms & most other providers facilitate the cancellation of units on a monthly basis. If your portfolio (on average) is growing around 6% pa then you could take out 3%-4% and still have enough growth to keep pace or even beat inflation. No need to go round chasing dividends or other income bearing stock just to pay out an income.
    Ahhh get that many thanks Golfie much appreciated you getting back to me, this thread is now the one I look at most on “Charlton Life“, Rob7Lee certainly has come up with some good uns, made a few bob on Metro Bank.

Ahhh get that many thanks Golfie much appreciated you getting back to me, this thread is now the one I look at most on “Charlton Life“, Rob7Lee certainly has come up with some good uns, made a few bob on Metro Bank.

Go Ahead are worth a punt again (probably not for the dividend right now) at £10.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Gents being new to this self investment fun and games some advice please dividends from the veteran investors on here;

Go Ahead are worth a punt again (probably not for the dividend right now) at £10.
    Thanks Rob7Lee & good morning
  • bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Just took part in a 'fireside chat' with John Butters, CIO at Weatherbys. Key takes from the chat:

- The Banks are fine - not over exposed at all.
    - Governments will spend as we move out of the pandemic, coupled with central bank QE
    - Governments can borrow at pretty much 0% and Boris needs to protect his northern seats!
    - Inflation likely to remain low, although possible short-term spike due to supply chain issues.
    - No fear of inflationary pressures from QE
    - Markets were likely to have bottomed at 5,000 when things looked at their darkest. Could be more volatility as we climb what he described as the wall of worry, but we've seen the worst.
    - Investment Managers have been out-performed by the major indices - it is most definitely not a stock pickers market.
    - If holding cash just drip feed it into investment funds - don't think you can pick your timing - emotion is not a good investment guide!
    - Stick to your chosen risk profile!
    I'll add to that......BOE meet tomorrow with the consensus that they will reduce rates to 0%. Mind you that is only a reduction of 0.1%.......but something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime & a far cry from the double digit rates of the late eighties / early nineties.

How long before the banks charge us to deposit funds?
    I need to hollow out that mattress!
    The way today's world is nothing would surprise me!
  • edited June 2020
    Don’t tell anyone, but here is a real sound investment. 
  • @RaplhMilne showing a total disregard for my bonus!
  • Sponsored links:

• I am confident I can beat the market. 

I just need each of you to invest £200 with me to prove it. 

• @Rob7Lee, it looks like Go Ahead's results are to annonced in a week's time on 30th June. Any news on the summary/outlook for this?
  • edited June 2020
    No insider info, they'd already come out and said covid would effect their profits and the shares took a hit. They are still expecting to make north of 65m. But dividend is suspended.

If you can hold for a while (up to a year) I still think they are a good buy at sub £10.
  • Its been a strange month for Lindsell Train Global and Fundsmith Equity. Both turned in very flat returns near 1pc.
  • mendonca said:
    Its been a strange month for Lindsell Train Global and Fundsmith Equity. Both turned in very flat returns near 1pc.
    I ditched my Lindsell Train Global Equity fund at the start of this week. Had less than 5% in it & as you say had done nothing since the start of April.
  • mendonca said:
    Its been a strange month for Lindsell Train Global and Fundsmith Equity. Both turned in very flat returns near 1pc.
    I ditched my Lindsell Train Global Equity fund at the start of this week. Had less than 5% in it & as you say had done nothing since the start of April.
    Interesting.

May I ask what you'd do if you held  the Lindsell Train UK Equity Fund? I had a brilliant run with it early in 2019 and (typically!) topped up my holding in July 2019 at £4.82. Today nearly a year later it stands at £4.42 and hasn't been anywhere near to regaining the earlier price. Time to ditch that as well?

Also, is it time to take profits on Baillee Gifford American? (Up 50% in 6 months). The Times had a big article on Saturday saying big investors were pulling their money out of the US stock market and surely the fund just can't go on rising like this.  (Although as I write the Dow is up another 430 points tonight!)
  • I invest in numerous companies and technologies that are deemed beneficial to the environment and to society. The Govt should be publicly applauding these entities and helping them to become confident and successful. New investors might be attracted and an increasing positivity might be realised in this sector.

Alas, no. The Press-up King is backing environmentally destructive schemes. I've complained about this for ages and now the CEO of Legal & General, Nigel Wilson, joins me in criticising the Tories.

UK ministers send mixed messages over climate commitments, says fund manager

The head of the UK’s largest fund manager has criticised the UK government for creating “confusion” around the country’s climate commitments by prioritising projects such as expanding Heathrow airport and pushing ahead with HS2.

Nigel Wilson said government priorities were “not necessarily consistent” with climate crisis objectives and sending mixed messages to investors and the financial services industry.

During a webinar focused on financial climate risks on Monday, Wilson said: “The government has to become a collaborative partner. At the moment the mandates on what they want to do, and what they want to spend their money on, are not always aligned with climate change at all, [and] send all sorts of confusing messages.

“The highest-priority projects, these seem to be Heathrow and HS2 [and] those are not necessarily consistent with the climate objectives … and this creates confusion amongst our staff and our customers.”

Wilson’s comments targeted two of the most controversial infrastructure projects on the government agenda. They come months after plans for a third runway at Heathrow were deemed illegal by the court of appeal. Judges ruled in February ministers did not take into account government commitments to tackle the climate crisis.

Wilson’s criticisms were aired during a webinar on Monday that marked the launch of the Climate Financial Risk Forum (CFRF) guide, spearheaded by the Bank of England and Financial Conduct Authority. The project is meant to help banks, insurers and asset managers navigate the looming threats of the climate crisis.

Wilson, who chaired the CFRF’s work on innovation, said firms should be thinking of creative ways to tackle global heating. For example, mortgage providers should consider energy costs and a home’s energy performance 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/29/uk-ministers-send-mixed-messages-over-climate-commitments-says-fund-manager
  • mendonca said:
    Interesting.

May I ask what you'd do if you held  the Lindsell Train UK Equity Fund? I had a brilliant run with it early in 2019 and (typically!) topped up my holding in July 2019 at £4.82. Today nearly a year later it stands at £4.42 and hasn't been anywhere near to regaining the earlier price. Time to ditch that as well?

Also, is it time to take profits on Baillee Gifford American? (Up 50% in 6 months). The Times had a big article on Saturday saying big investors were pulling their money out of the US stock market and surely the fund just can't go on rising like this.  (Although as I write the Dow is up another 430 points tonight!)
    I'd probably pull out of Lindsell Train UK equity & go for one of the following:

MI Chelverton UK Growth 
    Royal London Sustainable Leaders 
    Slater Growth 

As for BG American. I've been taking profits from it over the past couple of weeks & rebalancing portfolios. Typically clients had around 8%-9% in it but as it's being growing out of all proportion the allocations have grown to 12% or more. I've been reducing the holdings back down to the 8-9% mark again & putting the money into UK stocks (seeing as the FTSE100 is still off 20%)

* disclaimer. This does not constitute advice.
  • mendonca said:
    Interesting.

I'd probably pull out of Lindsell Train UK equity & go for one of the following:

MI Chelverton UK Growth 
    Royal London Sustainable Leaders 
    Slater Growth 

As for BG American. I've been taking profits from it over the past couple of weeks & rebalancing portfolios. Typically clients had around 8%-9% in it but as it's being growing out of all proportion the allocations have grown to 12% or more. I've been reducing the holdings back down to the 8-9% mark again & putting the money into UK stocks (seeing as the FTSE100 is still off 20%)

* disclaimer. This does not constitute advice.
    Thanks for taking time to reply. Appreciated
  • £50 this month from my PB.
  • Sponsored links:

• blimey, forgot to check this morning, will do later ….
  • £50 this month from my PB.

Me too - 2 x £25
  • bobmunro said:
    £50 this month from my PB.

Me too - 2 x £25
    Other half 4X£25, Junior 3x£25 and just the 1x£25 for me :( Mind you they do have bigger holdings than me. 

Still don’t know anyone recently that has won more than a £25 prize. Although a friend of the wife’s won £20,000 some years back.
  • £100 + £25.  ;)
  • how much do you folks hold in PBs?
  • Mrs R7L £50 on max holding. Me diddly squat on about £10k, father in law, yet again £150! He wins triple digit almost every month.
  • Morning all, £50.00 on PB and same for my wifey so a continuing nice return on PB’s for us.

As stated on an earlier message I am new to this investing game (not PB’s) and learnt a valuable lesson last few days, got some shares in DS Smith (packaging), few weeks ago were showing a 30% gain on original cost but decided to hold on to them re dividend announcement this week, no dividend shall be paid share price bombed now a much reduced 7% gain which is still healthy, I am hanging onto them now as I am sure they will rise and sell once @ 20%. On line shopping needs cardboard boxes. 

As said still new to this game & learning but there are definitely some nice gems out there. Was astounded @ Metal Tiger growth would have loved to have a punt on them a few weeks ago 750% gain, extraordinary.

Bloody nervous about tonight I might add, will do a bit for my Marston’s shares by supping a few in front of the TV later 😉😏
  • Morning all, £50.00 on PB and same for my wifey so a continuing nice return on PB’s for us.

As stated on an earlier message I am new to this investing game (not PB’s) and learnt a valuable lesson last few days, got some shares in DS Smith (packaging), few weeks ago were showing a 30% gain on original cost but decided to hold on to them re dividend announcement this week, no dividend shall be paid share price bombed now a much reduced 7% gain which is still healthy, I am hanging onto them now as I am sure they will rise and sell once @ 20%. On line shopping needs cardboard boxes. 

As said still new to this game & learning but there are definitely some nice gems out there. Was astounded @ Metal Tiger growth would have loved to have a punt on them a few weeks ago 750% gain, extraordinary.

Bloody nervous about tonight I might add, will do a bit for my Marston’s shares by supping a few in front of the TV later 😉😏
    I don't know how "new"  to investing you mean but if you are a real novice the best thing to do is........

1)  dont buy individual shares

2) build a worldwide portfolio of equities & bonds.

3)  invest into an ISA as all gains are tax-free.

Unless of course you are only dabbling in a few pounds in which case gains & losses are relatively immaterial. 
  • 3 x £25 from PB. Had them for two years now and only had one month without a win.

I don't know how "new"  to investing you mean but if you are a real novice the best thing to do is........

1)  dont buy individual shares

2) build a worldwide portfolio of equities & bonds.

3)  invest into an ISA as all gains are tax-free.

Unless of course you are only dabbling in a few pounds in which case gains & losses are relatively immaterial. 
    Cheers Golfie appreciate the response, got the ISA’s covered, not dabbled as yet in equities & bonds, need to read up on these, yup do have a share portfolio, long burners in my SIPP, BT, banks etc...,  in my share account splashed out £8k currently @ 6% gain, bought when market was rock bottom April and have started selling when reach a decent profit and invest original sum into my SIPP and then buy with profits in my share account. Realise returns are benefitting the dip of March and those returns unless I spot a real growth stock will not be sustained but airlines and brewery shares will only go up + of course that great tip from @ Rob7Lee re Metro bank and Tallow oil.