Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• edited September 2020
    TelMc32 said:
    If you’re still taking bids @PragueAddick I’d being going at 5960.  

Just see a lot of downside in the markets to keep the FTSE at current levels for a while yet. Potential for a couple of big needle movers make me feel more optimistic about 2021, but may be end of Q1 before we see those.
    Since it's you, @TelMc32 :D

That's it though. no more punters. Let's see how the world turns...

edit: I see that four punters including your good self are separated by just..er..32 index points...
  • Thanks Richard ;-)  

Now logged on to the Zoom Court case and amazed at how many people fail to understand the concept of no mics and no cameras!! 

As for the FTSE...Brexit, Trump II, Covid II to name but a few all downsides...who knows where we're going :) 
  • TelMc32 said:
    Thanks Richard ;-)  

Now logged on to the Zoom Court case and amazed at how many people fail to understand the concept of no mics and no cameras!! 

As for the FTSE...Brexit, Trump II, Covid II to name but a few all downsides...who knows where we're going :) 
    Down, down and down by the looks of it judging by the past few days.

Also no £1m Premium Bond win again as the winners this month are from Wales and Scotland :'(
  • 2 x £25 for me this month.
  • £25 for me, nothing for the misses this month. £75 for my Mum though.
  • 4 x £25.00 for me, nought for my better half although she can’t grumble as she won the Parish monthly lottery, £11.30 😳
  • 2x £25 for me and 2x £25 for Mrs R7L - as ever father in law, 4x £25 ...... ggggrrrrr.
  • 5x£25 for Mrs Chaz, 2x£25 for junior and bugger all for me :/  Even the MIL got 2x £25.
  • Wow. FTSE took a massive U turn this afternoon. It had been up most of the day but I expect it got spooked by the Dow  opening lower as it finished down 1.5% (it had been up over 1% before lunch). 

Dow currently down 2.5%.
  • edited September 2020
    I also saw a news item on the BBC business section saying that the value of Apple is now bigger than the entire constituents of the FTSE100. That is mad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Agreed. NASDAQ down almost 5%
  • I also saw a news item on the BBC business section saying that the value of Apple is now bigger than the entire constituents of the FTSE100. That is mad.
    That is truly crazy, heard that on the LBC business update yesterday and it just makes no sense. I understand perfectly about valuation methods etc, but even then I can't stretch to it being worth anywhere near as much as the FTSE 100.
  • Read that the US markets were spooked by the big 5 tech stocks. Funny because I read just this morning (so before the US markets opened) that Baillie Gifford were reducing their holdings in these stocks, mainly due to being over weight in them & exceeding their maximum permitted holdings. Anyone who has held BG American, Discovery or theur Investment Trusts over the past 12-18 months will know how much these have increased because of these holdings. I doubt very much a sale order by just BG had anything to do with the sell off later today.........bust just a coincidence ?? 
  • Read that the US markets were spooked by the big 5 tech stocks. Funny because I read just this morning (so before the US markets opened) that Baillie Gifford were reducing their holdings in these stocks, mainly due to being over weight in them & exceeding their maximum permitted holdings. Anyone who has held BG American, Discovery or theur Investment Trusts over the past 12-18 months will know how much these have increased because of these holdings. I doubt very much a sale order by just BG had anything to do with the sell off later today.........bust just a coincidence ?? 
    Well I would certainly say that BG have shown there why you rate them, mate. My first instinct is to say "correction" and not react. If i recall the exact definitions used correctly, a BBC biz correspondent said the FAANGS had been up over 50% in the last 12 months whereas a wider index of US stocks, excluding the tech giants is down 2% on the same period. 

And that has been why so many of us have been pleasantly surprised at the resilience of our portfolios since the pandemic- driven slump in March. No such thing as a free lunch, we just got the bill. I'm not planning any action myself, other than perhaps considering buying some of those BG funds!

I also have to say that anything which whacks the US markets in the next two months is good in my book as it curbs Trump's inane attempts to use their high values as some kind of vindication of his "policies". I'll happily pay for that particular lunch.
  • 3 x £25 this month 
    pleased with that - will cover a bit of the vet’s bill
  • That’s a significant cut. Where now indeed. Stock market down almost 4% this morning.
  • Brilliant. 
    I had an ISA reach its maturity two months ago and stuck 22k in premium bonds. 
  • Brilliant. 
    Really should have kept the money in the ISA. Schoolboy error. 

With all the stockmarkets falling today you may find that dipping your toe back into equities might be a good idea soon. I can see the FTSE100 falling to 5500 again & with no deal Brexit on the horizon even 5000 might be in the cards. 5000-5500 would be a 30% discount on where it was back in early February.
  • Sponsored links:

• Brilliant. 
    Really should have kept the money in the ISA. Schoolboy error. 

With all the stockmarkets falling today you may find that dipping your toe back into equities might be a good idea soon. I can see the FTSE100 falling to 5500 again & with no deal Brexit on the horizon even 5000 might be in the cards. 5000-5500 would be a 30% discount on where it was back in early February.
    Agree, but as always I would do it on a monthly basis rather than all in one. Or a variant, put some in nowish, and then set yourself a target of another chunk if it drops a further 5%, and repeat..
  • Out of interest I had a letter from a bank I  took out a mortgage with back in 2007 & had a linked savings account. I paid off the mortgage in 2013 when I sold the house & forgot about the linked account. It was opened with £10 & the letter asked what I now wanted to do with the money.

The interest rate on it is now 0.01%. I think I'll just take back the £10 & whatever pence has accrued thanks.
  • Some bad news today for the Premium Bond fans (me included): https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54232018
  • Chaz Hill said:
    Close your account and transfer money to Santander  ?
    An option for some perhaps but they don’t operate fully across Europe and are “keeping the situation under review”.
  • Banksy prices hit new heights this week, records broken at sothebys. 
  • edited September 2020
    The cut in Income Bonds from market leader 1.16% to 0.01% is just absurd.

This almost borders on sharp practice because I can only assume that having got everyone's money, they must be hoping people just leave it with the NSI and don't move their savings to an account with a higher rate of interest.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/sep/21/nsi-savings-rates-premium-bonds-prizes-direct-saver-investment-account-isas

sharp practice indeed
  • The cut in Income Bonds from market leader 1.16% to 0.01% is just absurd.

This almost borders on sharp practice because I can only assume that having got everyone's money, they must be hoping people just leave it with the NSI and don't move their savings to an account with a higher rate of interest.

I opened an income bond account 3_weeks ago. Grrr.