Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    I still like my 6825 by the end of the year. 

I think there is still a decent chunk of climb to come before the end of the year. 
    I like your optimism, I like bob munro's even more at nearly 7,400!!

Still my two structured products are finally back in profit, got 18-30 months yet though before they can begin to pay.

I'm relying on the first batch of vaccines being in people's arms before the end of the year, I think that will push it to at least 6825

I wouldn't be so sure about that. You've forgotten the orange baboon still bouncing around in his white cage, and the fact that on Jan 2, the UK is out of the EU. Out this time means Out, especially at Dover.

Events, dear boy, events...
    Agree with the positivity about the vaccine - companies will start to invest more, people will spend more when they see light at the end of the tunnel.  

But at some point this has all got to be paid for and there will be lay-offs as soon as the governments stop paying furlough.  Fraud is rife - I've heard of some outrageous behaviours e.g. wrt loans, staying open over xmas when a company would normally shut, all because of the 'free money' on offer.  

And, as Prague says, plenty of options for future volatility, especially in the UK.  Long term, I reckon we'll have a 'post-war' boom.
  • edited November 2020
    Major Tech in China seems to be struggling at the moment too, following the Government's new antitrust laws. 

It feels way too early to move into value based funds. But surely this analysis and potential course of action is what the fund manager's from BG, Threadneedle, Jupiter are all paid by ourselves to do?
  • I have around a quarter of my current portfolio in tech (ETFs). I think I'll hold as it is an ever evolving industry and although we might see the likes of Amazon, Zoom and Netflix dropping there must be plenty of stocks to take advantage of some sort of normality. That's my theory. 

Cue tech plummet!!!
  • I have around a quarter of my current portfolio in tech (ETFs). I think I'll hold as it is an ever evolving industry and although we might see the likes of Amazon, Zoom and Netflix dropping there must be plenty of stocks to take advantage of some sort of normality. That's my theory. 

Cue tech plummet!!!
    If you want to lose money then come to me for advice. Have been playing the AIM market in recent months and generally called it wrong - big profits and losses to be made. The level of share price manipulation is impressive.

I've only put in a small amount and I think you'd have to have balls of steel to put in big money. 

Cue tech plummet!!!
    If you want to lose money then come to me for advice. Have been playing the AIM market in recent months and generally called it wrong - big profits and losses to be made. The level of share price manipulation is impressive.

I've only put in a small amount and I think you'd have to have balls of steel to put in big money. 
    I have been approached by a broker advising investment in a new company. All looks pukka to me and the returns look very attractive. I haven't got the documentation with me but will pass it on to anyone who might be interested. From memory it was something to do with southern hemisphere marine investment.
  • bobmunro said:
    I have around a quarter of my current portfolio in tech (ETFs). I think I'll hold as it is an ever evolving industry and although we might see the likes of Amazon, Zoom and Netflix dropping there must be plenty of stocks to take advantage of some sort of normality. That's my theory. 

Cue tech plummet!!!

I have been approached by a broker advising investment in a new company. All looks pukka to me and the returns look very attractive. I haven't got the documentation with me but will pass it on to anyone who might be interested. From memory it was something to do with southern hemisphere marine investment.
    I'm sat on a few shares on the AIM market with a view to the long term. Just hope a few of them take off.

The day traders play havoc with some of the shares and there can be a 50% shift in a single day. 
  • bobmunro said:
    I have around a quarter of my current portfolio in tech (ETFs). I think I'll hold as it is an ever evolving industry and although we might see the likes of Amazon, Zoom and Netflix dropping there must be plenty of stocks to take advantage of some sort of normality. That's my theory. 

Cue tech plummet!!!

I might be a boring IFA but I just like to stick to the basics for my clients. Feel free to DM me the prospectus / brochure & I'll give it the once over.....but generally there is nothing "new" out there to invest in. And anything too esoteric is probably worth giving a swerve.

Just my opinion. 
  • bobmunro said:

Cue tech plummet!!!

I'm sat on a few shares on the AIM market with a view to the long term. Just hope a few of them take off.

The day traders play havoc with some of the shares and there can be a 50% shift in a single day. 
    As some one who's become interested in day trading, which stocks are these?
  • bobmunro said:

Cue tech plummet!!!

I might be a boring IFA but I just like to stick to the basics for my clients. Feel free to DM me the prospectus / brochure & I'll give it the once over.....but generally there is nothing "new" out there to invest in. And anything too esoteric is probably worth giving a swerve.

Just my opinion. 
    I think that was a South Sea Bubble gag, Golfie
  • Sponsored links:

• @Huskaris

For clarity I used the term "orange baboon" as a shorthand for "a US President who is displaying unprecedented contempt for the conventions of orderly handover after losing an election, and is moving ahead with alarming political firings and and hirings in key national positions". Such unprecedented behaviour has the ability to disturb markets. For clarity, I used the term "Out means Out" as a shorthand for the fact that on January 2nd the UK border will be treated by the EU as a third country, and there will not be free movement, particularly of freight; it is by no means clear that the UK has invested and recruited sufficiently to handle that situation. Such an unprecedented situation has the ability to disturb markets.

Hope that helps.
  • bobmunro said:

Cue tech plummet!!!

RMS, Sareum are just a couple of examples of where share price has been manipulated extensively. Very easy with small companies to drive the price down, get people to sell and then watch the price rebound - a dangerous tactic if it backfires. If a share plummets for no reason you can guess it's being shorted.

It's an educated guess as to which of the stocks will take off on AIM. If you're day trading you have to get your timing right and be on a decent platform that doesn't crash if you need to buy or sell. Quite a few problems this week.

• edited November 2020
    Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro

Mronelung

gunnessaddick

LargeAddick

Huskaris

meldrew66

Daarrrzzettbum

Covered End

golfaddick

CharltonKerry

PragueAddick

Rob7Lee

RalphMilne

Exiledin Manchester

happy valley

blackpool72

StrikerFirmani

WishIdStayedInThe Pub

wwaddick

HardyAddick

CAFCsayer

Salad

oohaahmortimer

Gary Poole

Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 

Hang on, you've left out my late entry of 5980 and also TelMc32's of 5960 which were both accepted by Prague!

Despite the overwhelming optimism above, I'm still not convinced we are out of this contest yet!

Just suppose something goes wrong in the final trials for the vaccine? That's not impossible - you probably heard the warning Professor Van-Tam gave on the steps it still had to pass. Or the Brexit talks - @Huskaris may well be right the market is already pricing in no deal but if that happens, I assume markets will take a huge hit down.

In America, Trump shows no signs of stepping down. Could that go badly wrong?

And all this against a terrible economic background. Unemployment going through the roof and borrowing at about all time highs. Sooner or later this is going to have to be paid for. Taxes are going to go up.

Lot to play for yet!

(PS I hope I'm wildly out!)
  • bobmunro said:

Cue tech plummet!!!

Just my opinion. 
    I think that was a South Sea Bubble gag, Golfie
    I know my humour can at times be a bit left field, but at least someone got it!!
  • edited November 2020
    @Huskaris

For clarity I used the term "orange baboon" as a shorthand for "a US President who is displaying unprecedented contempt for the conventions of orderly handover after losing an election, and is moving ahead with alarming political firings and and hirings in key national positions". Such unprecedented behaviour has the ability to disturb markets. For clarity, I used the term "Out means Out" as a shorthand for the fact that on January 2nd the UK border will be treated by the EU as a third country, and there will not be free movement, particularly of freight; it is by no means clear that the UK has invested and recruited sufficiently to handle that situation. Such an unprecedented situation has the ability to disturb markets.

Hope that helps.
    Wondered how to respond to this as I have either misread it as condescending or it genuinely is. 

Anyway I don't want to escalate it so:

Your number - 6,450
    My number - 6,825
    FTSE 100 now - 6,318
    Middle number - 6,637.5

£20 to the upbeats from me if under 6,637.5, £20 from you if over?

Oh and if you're within 50 points either side of your projection I will make it £50
  • Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro

Mronelung

gunnessaddick

LargeAddick

Huskaris

meldrew66

Daarrrzzettbum

Covered End

golfaddick

CharltonKerry

PragueAddick

Rob7Lee

RalphMilne

Exiledin Manchester

happy valley

blackpool72

StrikerFirmani

WishIdStayedInThe Pub

wwaddick

HardyAddick

CAFCsayer

Salad

oohaahmortimer

Gary Poole

Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 

Hang on, you've left out my late entry of 5980 and also TelMc32's of 5960 which were both accepted by Prague!

Despite the overwhelming optimism above, I'm still not convinced we are out of this contest yet!

Just suppose something goes wrong in the final trials for the vaccine? That's not impossible - you probably heard the waning Professor Van-Tam gave on the steps it still had to pass. Or the Brexit talks - @Huskaris may well be right the market is already pricing in no deal but if that happens, I assume markets will take a huge hit down.

And all this against a terrible economic background. Unemployment going through the roof and borrowing at about all time highs. Sooner or later this is going to have to be paid for. Taxes are going to go up.

Lot to play for yet!

I think (and I'm not saying anyone is arguing otherwise) that COVID vaccines is by far the most important thing. As long as there is a decision either way in the USA quickly, and the UK doesn't lift out of The Atlantic, flip outside and burst into flames after Jan 2nd everything else is just a side show. 

Then for the longer term it will be the stimulus packages, which in my opinion will be largely funded by mass printing of money, globally, and hopefully in a co-ordinated manner most importantly. 
  • Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro

Mronelung

gunnessaddick

LargeAddick

Huskaris

meldrew66

Daarrrzzettbum

Covered End

golfaddick

CharltonKerry

PragueAddick

Rob7Lee

RalphMilne

Exiledin Manchester

happy valley

blackpool72

StrikerFirmani

WishIdStayedInThe Pub

wwaddick

HardyAddick

CAFCsayer

Salad

oohaahmortimer

Gary Poole

Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 

Just suppose something goes wrong in the final trials for the vaccine? That's not impossible - you probably heard the waning Professor Van-Tam gave on the steps it still had to pass. Or the Brexit talks - @Huskaris may well be right the market is already pricing in no deal but if that happens, I assume markets will take a huge hit down.

Lot to play for yet!

I think (and I'm not saying anyone is arguing otherwise) that COVID vaccines is by far the most important thing. As long as there is a decision either way in the USA quickly, and the UK doesn't lift out of The Atlantic, flip outside and burst into flames after Jan 2nd everything else is just a side show. 

Then for the longer term it will be the stimulus packages, which in my opinion will be largely funded by mass printing of money, globally, and hopefully in a co-ordinated manner most importantly. 
    I think you are probably correct and a coordinated approach would be required to ensure relative major currency exchange rates remain largely unchanged. One big issue with that is that the huge economy least affected by Covid is China - coordination will be a challenge!

Rampant inflation is the other consequence of printing money, of course. 
  • edited November 2020
    bobmunro said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro

Mronelung

gunnessaddick

LargeAddick

Huskaris

meldrew66

Daarrrzzettbum

Covered End

golfaddick

CharltonKerry

PragueAddick

Rob7Lee

RalphMilne

Exiledin Manchester

happy valley

blackpool72

StrikerFirmani

WishIdStayedInThe Pub

wwaddick

HardyAddick

CAFCsayer

Salad

oohaahmortimer

Gary Poole

Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 

Lot to play for yet!

I think you are probably correct and a coordinated approach would be required to ensure relative major currency exchange rates remain largely unchanged. One big issue with that is that the huge economy least affected by Covid is China - coordination will be a challenge!

I think that the rampant inflation line is very true, but that is when money is printed in an incredibly ill disciplined manner. "Quantitative easing" post the financial crash was just money printing but by a different name.

Your point on China is a fantastic one though...! 

Couples with the fact that in my opinion, we are more likely to be entering a period of deflation rather than inflation (I can see demand side being hit far harder than supply side, capacity will be there just no demand, prices fall and then supply will also contract, but later as companies are forced to leave the market), I think that this is the perfect scenario, if ever there can be one, for printing a shedload of money. 
  • Won't be seeing both inflation & interest rates above 2.5% for a good few years. Negative interest rates are still being mooted but I listened yesterday to a webinar from a bloke on the BoE interest rate setting committee & he said that the Banks have an inherent dislike to negative rates. They fear the public will withdraw their savings as holding "paper money" wont lose them anything & the banks then will have less reserves to lend out. My fear is more basic. Burglaries. Imagine people taking out their savings & keeping it "under the mattress". It wouldn't take long for thieves to be raiding people's houses thinking that there could be loads of cash inside.
  • Huskaris said:
    bobmunro said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro

Mronelung

gunnessaddick

LargeAddick

Huskaris

meldrew66

Daarrrzzettbum

Covered End

golfaddick

CharltonKerry

PragueAddick

Rob7Lee

RalphMilne

Exiledin Manchester

happy valley

blackpool72

StrikerFirmani

WishIdStayedInThe Pub

wwaddick

HardyAddick

CAFCsayer

Salad

oohaahmortimer

Gary Poole

Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 

Lot to play for yet!

I think that the rampant inflation line is very true, but that is when money is printed in an incredibly I'll disciplined manner. "Quantitative easing" post the financial crash was just money printing but by a different name.

Your point on China is a fantastic one though...! 

Couples with the fact that in my opinion, we are more likely to be entering a period of deflation rather than inflation (I can see demand side being hit far harder than supply side, capacity will be there just no demand, prices fall and then supply will also contract, but later as companies are forced to leave the market), I think that this is the perfect scenario, if ever there can be one, for printing a shedload of money. 
    Inflation would at least wipe out some debt. The last long period of deflation was probably the Great Depression.
  • Sponsored links:

• Won't be seeing both inflation & interest rates above 2.5% for a good few years. Negative interest rates are still being mooted but I listened yesterday to a webinar from a bloke on the BoE interest rate setting committee & he said that the Banks have an inherent dislike to negative rates. They fear the public will withdraw their savings as holding "paper money" wont lose them anything & the banks then will have less reserves to lend out. My fear is more basic. Burglaries. Imagine people taking out their savings & keeping it "under the mattress". It wouldn't take long for thieves to be raiding people's houses thinking that there could be loads of cash inside.
    I'm not close to it anymore, but I suspect that the clearing banks, whose core banking systems still run in pounds, shillings and pence, will have explained to the Bank that negative interest rates could be a problem to implement and is best avoided for that reason alone.

I think they'll just keep printing money.  Although the BoE said that they are near their balance sheet 'limit' that is self-imposed and can be changed.
  • edited November 2020
    Won't be seeing both inflation & interest rates above 2.5% for a good few years. Negative interest rates are still being mooted but I listened yesterday to a webinar from a bloke on the BoE interest rate setting committee & he said that the Banks have an inherent dislike to negative rates. They fear the public will withdraw their savings as holding "paper money" wont lose them anything & the banks then will have less reserves to lend out. My fear is more basic. Burglaries. Imagine people taking out their savings & keeping it "under the mattress". It wouldn't take long for thieves to be raiding people's houses thinking that there could be loads of cash inside.
    I'm not close to it anymore, but I suspect that the clearing banks, whose core banking systems still run in pounds, shillings and pence, will have explained to the Bank that negative interest rates could be a problem to implement and is best avoided for that reason alone.

I think they'll just keep printing money.  Although the BoE said that they are near their balance sheet 'limit' that is self-imposed and can be changed.
    That's what I thought too.

I can't think of many reasons why you would choose to have negative interest rates over printing money. 

And to combine that with @hoof_it_up_to_benty's point about inflation at least eroding the amount the government owes, isn't the key way that Central Banks use QE to purchase government debt in the secondary markets? So that also reduces gov debt.

So in effect, a lot of the time when we talk about who is going to be paying for all of this debt we are creating, the answer seems to be... No one...
  • Huskaris said:
    I suppose with the casinos closed day trading fills a void. 
    I mean, there's also day trading crypto if you wanted to really push the boat out.
  • Huskaris said:
    I suppose with the casinos closed day trading fills a void. 
    I mean, there's also day trading crypto if you wanted to really push the boat out.
    I only end up doing that as a side product when I buy guns, drugs and hookers. 
  • edited November 2020
    bobmunro said:

Cue tech plummet!!!

RMS, Sareum are just a couple of examples of where share price has been manipulated extensively. Very easy with small companies to drive the price down, get people to sell and then watch the price rebound - a dangerous tactic if it backfires. If a share plummets for no reason you can guess it's being shorted.

It's an educated guess as to which of the stocks will take off on AIM. If you're day trading you have to get your timing right and be on a decent platform that doesn't crash if you need to buy or sell. Quite a few problems this week.

RMS price has tripled in price in three days having lost 80% in the previous week. Mad times for covid related/pharma stocks.
  • Baillie Gifford China Growth Trust (previously Witan Pacific) looks good for the long term, especially with their track record but a few questions.

Currently the share price is at a near 30% premium. A general meeting has been called for the end of Nov, in which shareholders will be asked to allow the trust to issue another 20pc of stock. "All else being equal, bringing the premium under control means, of course, a fall in the share price." 

If you hold a tidy profit in this, is it worth cashing out? Or if you are looking to hold for 5 years plus, just leave in?
  • mendonca said:
    Baillie Gifford China Growth Trust (previously Witan Pacific) looks good for the long term, especially with their track record but a few questions.

Currently the share price is at a near 30% premium. A general meeting has been called for the end of Nov, in which shareholders will be asked to allow the trust to issue another 20pc of stock. "All else being equal, bringing the premium under control means, of course, a fall in the share price." 

If you hold a tidy profit in this, is it worth cashing out? Or if you are looking to hold for 5 years plus, just leave in?
    I assume that you all get 20% extra stock as compensation so the value of a holding remains the same just instead of say, 100 units, you hold 120 but at a lower price?
  • bobmunro said:

Cue tech plummet!!!

RMS price has tripled in price in three days having lost 80% in the previous week. Mad times for covid related/pharma stocks.
    Nearly quadrupled in 3 days now - all based on antiviral face mask which may not work. Utter madness in terms of trading. 
  • edited November 2020
    Won't be seeing both inflation & interest rates above 2.5% for a good few years. Negative interest rates are still being mooted but I listened yesterday to a webinar from a bloke on the BoE interest rate setting committee & he said that the Banks have an inherent dislike to negative rates. They fear the public will withdraw their savings as holding "paper money" wont lose them anything & the banks then will have less reserves to lend out. My fear is more basic. Burglaries. Imagine people taking out their savings & keeping it "under the mattress". It wouldn't take long for thieves to be raiding people's houses thinking that there could be loads of cash inside.
    The burglaries point is a good one. Putting aside the aggro/trauma factor....more policemen would need to be employed to deal with the increase and in turn, that would increase public spending. Negative rates might happen...but for me there a number of reasons why they should be a non-starter. 
  • bobmunro said:

Cue tech plummet!!!

Nearly quadrupled in 3 days now - all based on antiviral face mask which may not work. Utter madness in terms of trading. 
    https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/933709/remote-monitored-systems-surges-on-antiviral-face-mask-update-933709.html

If this technology does work the masks will be in high demand in industry/health.