Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ever Get The Feeling You've Been Cheated?

13»

Comments

• Options
    @Henry Irving

Good, we have a bet.

I had actually in all seriousness put 16th in my forecast on that inane EPL survey. I would perhaps adjust that to 13th now we have signed Rudd. Beyond that I see no reason to be more positive. I do not expect Lookman or Teixeira to be here in Feb ( at the latest) and it is yet to be seen whether the change of medical and fitness personnel is a genuine upgrade. Who can say with confidence that Bauer and especially Kashi will appear and play to the best of their previous level?

We have a manager with appropriate experience, at last. But if every other aspect of the club is dysfunctional, his impact will be limited.

I would of course love to be wrong and paying the Upbeats on the way to Wembley.
  • Options
    I was at one point, after the Ajose, Novak and Holmes signings, close to buying a season ticket in the hope that lessons had been learned and the club were going to run the football side as it should be.

Then the delay replacing the inevitable departures put me off. But Rudd is a good signing, as is Crofts, and with one or two more in the right areas and we could still have cause for optimism.

They should use some of the JBG/Pope money for permanent signings, same with losing Hendo off the wage bill. If we sign Foley & Pearce, then add a third established striker, I'll be happy. Then the squad should be capable enough without being so big we don't see the likes of Phillips, Harriott, Lookman, Umerah, Konsa, Muldoon, Hanlan, Ahearne-Grant & Thomas.
  • Options
    The only Foley and Pearce this lot will sign are Theo and Stuart.
  • Options
    Splodge said:

I was at one point, after the Ajose, Novak and Holmes signings, close to buying a season ticket in the hope that lessons had been learned and the club were going to run the football side as it should be.

Then the delay replacing the inevitable departures put me off. But Rudd is a good signing, as is Crofts, and with one or two more in the right areas and we could still have cause for optimism.

They should use some of the JBG/Pope money for permanent signings, same with losing Hendo off the wage bill. If we sign Foley & Pearce, then add a third established striker, I'll be happy. Then the squad should be capable enough without being so big we don't see the likes of Phillips, Harriott, Lookman, Umerah, Konsa, Muldoon, Hanlan, Ahearne-Grant & Thomas.

Unfortunately I think the JBG/Pope money has gone or at least been allocated to, plugging holes in the balance sheet due to relegation.
  • Options
    Did we get any money for our player of the year last year Cousins? I think we did.

Who knows what the payment staging is like but on paper we have what £4.5m in, maybe some loan fees in and some wages that the loan recipients will not pay out.

Can't remember what the drop from the championship was worth from the football league, around £4m?

We seem to have lost between £500k and £2m a year in ticket revenues and then merchandise, sponsorship etc must be another £500k to £1m (maybe overstating this).

5000 additional season ticket holders at an average given kids etc if a generous £250 a ticket is only £1.25m.

We have spent less than £1m I think on fees, and massively reduced the wage bill.

But break even compared to where we were even 1 year ago we are not.

The high wages and contracts awarded in the later stages of the relegation struggle must have hurt as will have the increased costs of security.

Roland though must see the possibility of developing our current u21 to championship level or beyond as the route to break even.

it is probably more manageable for Katrien to run a league 1 club than a championship club.

The problem with all this is that they are fundamentally wrong. If the fans leave and the club shrinks, the talent doesn't want to join our academy any more and they lose the one thing that they are basing their ownership on, developing players and selling on for a higher price than another club.

Allied to the relatively poor negotiating skills we have seen from the SMT In general, I wouldn't employ any of them to run a corner shop, they will continue to lose.

It's all very depressing because with a marginal shift it could be very positive. We have a good ground for the championship that could make it in the premier league, we have a loyal fan base currently disaffected but which would pull behind ambition and help in part to find it, we could probably get 10-15k in regularly for even league 1 of the fan base was used to help rather than abused.

due to the complete lack of understanding of this football dynamic by Duchatelet and Kateian Meire (or the lesser tony Keohane) I see no alternative but to attempt to remove them.

Unfortunately they are massively stubborn and massively arrogant.

I think Roland will keep on looking for a level in English football where his feeder club idea works, but it doesn't work Roland because no good bargains are going to join a club where the fans hate the owner.

If you had not been such a dick and Katriwn less inept, we could have got closer to a repeat mid table championship side. Now we are a lot further from the big money.

But still, for your model to work you need to unearth decent talent that you sell in for more. Of the relationship with the fans is so poor, you will not get these players, you will overpay and lose money rather than underpay and gain.

Players will begin next year to not join our academy s a result of this fan club split, if they haven't already. The plugs you have taken in the past will lot be available in the future.

The only way you can limit your losses is to leave and leave at the earliest available oppoetunoty. The team and the fans and the owner need to work together for your model to work and you have irretrievably broken the model for your ownership.

Leave now please because it is only gong to get worse for both sides of you stay.

We will survive as a club, but while you can exit now with some grace, if you hold on, you will be massively embarrassed.

You may hold the capital right now, but there are not many of you and we are legion. You will lose if you do not resign.

Do us a favour and do the right thing here for both you, your supporters and the for Charlton Athletic.