Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• Can't believe Pearce starting. Means he won't be starting Wednesday which is crazy. 
    Pearce has sat on the bench for the past 3 games - evidently to be used only in the most emergency of situations, should anything happen to the makeshift CB pairing of Gunther/Pratley.

Okay, anyone can be wise with hindsight ...... but I can't help wondering if he'd been better used by getting him up to speed in last week's U23 game?

• edited November 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    Can't believe Pearce starting. Means he won't be starting Wednesday which is crazy. 
    Pearce has sat on the bench for the past 3 games - evidently to be used only in the most emergency of situations, should anything happen to the makeshift CB pairing of Gunther/Pratley.

Okay, anyone can be wise with hindsight ...... but I can't help wondering if he'd been better used by getting him up to speed in last week's U23 game?

Yes I know he's been on the bench. I don't understand why (as our only fit recognised CB) that he's not playing. He has played for the U23's and it's been 3 weeks since he played 45 mins against Leyton Orient. Should be starting Wednesday surely? 
  • Oggy Red said:
    Can't believe Pearce starting. Means he won't be starting Wednesday which is crazy. 

Yes I know he's been on the bench. I don't understand why (as our only recognised CB) that he's not playing. He has played for the U23's and it's been 3 weeks since he played 45 mins against Leyton Orient. Should be starting Wednesday surely? 
    Bowyer has said Pearce has not been fit enough to start.

Okay ...... he certainly can't be match fit. Maybe there's also a worry there's a risk with his injury record that he may break down?
    In which case, IMO, he should have played in the u23s last week.

Maybe Pearce can be spared 1st team duties, because Famewo is able to return on the bench or even start?

• Pearce wouldn’t have played for the U23’s last week as he had already travelled with the first team I believe. However, why it’s deemed he isn’t yet ready to play is odd, he has been training with the squad for a month, you would expect him to be able to play.

Maybe they feel it’s best he gets a good chunk of minutes today and will be in better shape come Saturday?

Famewo looks to be in the squad 100% and wouldn’t be surprised if he is to start.
  • from the OS

"Here's how we line up as @jpearce05 gets some more vital minutes into the legs... #cafc"
  • Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

Yes I know he's been on the bench. I don't understand why (as our only recognised CB) that he's not playing. He has played for the U23's and it's been 3 weeks since he played 45 mins against Leyton Orient. Should be starting Wednesday surely? 
    Bowyer has said Pearce has not been fit enough to start.

Okay ...... he certainly can't be match fit. Maybe there's also a worry there's a risk with his injury record that he may break down?
    In which case, IMO, he should have played in the u23s last week.

Maybe Pearce can be spared 1st team duties, because Famewo is able to return on the bench or even start?

I agree with you regarding Pearce playing for the U23 last week, seems a weird decision. 

I just struggle to see how Pearce cannot be fit enough to start this week, but played 45 mins three weeks ago, and has been on the bench multiple times. If Pratley had got injured after 2 mins last week, would Pearce not have been able to come on? 

Pearce not fit enough despite being back a month, yet Famewo might get chucked straight back in, seems very risky to me. Gunter and Pratley have done ok, but not fantastic. 

• Is Wassim injured or likely to be in senior squad on Wednesday?
  • Is Wassim injured or likely to be in senior squad on Wednesday?
    Injured I think.
  • Leuth said:
    Is Wassim injured or likely to be in senior squad on Wednesday?
    Injured I think.
    That's a shame, thought he might be in the squad when I saw the U23 team. With Smyth and Washington out it leaves us light up top. 

• Quarter of an hour played and we're looking good! Francois beats three players but his cross just evades Sam Bell! Shortly after Scott tries his luck from 25-yards out but it's deflected just over the bar!

#CHABRC

0-0

[15]
  • Sponsored links:

• Brendan Wiredu really performing well since coming back from injury, let’s hope he can kick on and maybe force himself into b Bowyer’s plans 
  • Oggy Red said:

Seemed really odd to have both Pearce and Oshilaja on the bench last Tuesday vs Burton, instead of one playing for the U23s. Especially as Purrington was left out of the 18 altogether
  • Couldn't Pearce at a half today and a half on Wednesday?
    HALF-TIME | The Addicks lead 1-0 at the break thanks to Brendan Wiredu's header! #cafc

• Goal: Charlton Athletic U23s. The Addicks double their lead through Henry.
    Goal: Charlton Athletic U23s. Ghandour makes it three as he chips the ball over Wiles-Richards. #CHABRC

3-0

[62]

• Couldn't Pearce at a half today and a half on Wednesday?
    No need to rush Pearce back.  If we were playing Hull with Maginnes and the bargain basement Andy Carroll maybe.  Pratley and Gunter haven't been bullied by center forwards.  The problem is/was the team faffing around. 
  • Sounds like 2 very good quick fire goals! 3-0
  • 3-1. Just under 20 minutes to go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pearce played the whole game

• "The Robins were able to take advantage when Joe Osagahe’s pass out from the back was intercepted by a purple shirt and the ball was crossed for Sam Bell to finish."

Oops! Now where have we seen that sort of frailty before? :smile:

• Is Wiredu now playing in a forward position?
  • Southbank said:
    Is Wiredu now playing in a forward position?
    He scored from a dead ball but I believe he has often played as a wide attacker for the youth and u23s
  • We could have done worse than have someone like Wiredu on the bench last night, to add some energy to the midfield. He's 21 now, so not a kid anymore
  • Just realised I put the below in the wrong thread...

• edited January 2021
    James Vennings still injured - Calls for Barker to play First Team when he's not even playing U23s...