Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    Apologies this isn't quite the right place but I see that Jordan Zemura started Bournemouth's first game of the season playing 90mins. He was outright released by us a few seasons back, was he any good? 
    I liked the look of him, think I saw him in one of the youth cup games that was streamed. A pacey attacking left back.

Never found out if/why he was released or if he rejected our offer.
    Looks like he was released! 

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/first-team/zemura-trials-tribulations-being-fired-as-a-glass-fitter/
  • Scoham said:
    Apologies this isn't quite the right place but I see that Jordan Zemura started Bournemouth's first game of the season playing 90mins. He was outright released by us a few seasons back, was he any good? 
    I liked the look of him, think I saw him in one of the youth cup games that was streamed. A pacey attacking left back.

Never found out if/why he was released or if he rejected our offer.
    Looks like he was released! 

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/first-team/zemura-trials-tribulations-being-fired-as-a-glass-fitter/
    I wouldn’t take that literally, he was still released even if he turned down our offer.
  • U23 Professional Development League 2 fixtures 2021/22

August

Tuesday, August 24th: Barnsley v Charlton 1.30pm

Monday, August 30th: Charlton v Sheffield United 2pm 

https://www.cafc.co.uk/matches/u23-matches

• edited August 2021

Adult£15
    OAP/Student£10
    U16£5
    Up to two Under 16 accompanying a full paying Adult or Over 65FREE
  • One or two trialists.

Richard Chin back

Toby on the bench for Bromley
  • Agree its pricey for an additional friendly.
    What sort of team are we playing as our best u23s will be in the squad for tomorrow surely?

• Still not Wassim or Henry. Covid19 I assume.

Thought Ronnie might have got a game
  • One or two trialists.

Richard Chin back

Oguntayo with the first team this weekend?
  • Whereabouts are you Henners? I asked the steward if he’d seen a tall guy and a cardigan but no joy 😀
  • Sponsored links:

• @Swisdom

On the terrace opposite the main stand.

You in the posh seats?
  • I was until I just got turfed out of it 😀
  • Dick Chin is a great name
  • Swisdom said:
    I was until I just got turfed out of it 😀
    Ha ha happened to me too.

Thought I saw you walking around but you must have spotted me and turned around
  • One or two trialists.

Richard Chin back

Is that ‘Hat-trick’ Toby?
  • One up after 3 mins 

Lovely long range shot dipped over the keeper. Powell.

We're passing it around well.
  • Swisdom said:
    I was until I just got turfed out of it 😀
    Ha ha happened to me too.

Thought I saw you walking around but you must have spotted me and turned around
    I’m behind our dugout now.

cracking goal and that trial isn’t looks pretty tidy too
  • Any idea who the trialists are? Could they be for the first team or to integrate with the u23? 
  • edited August 2021
    Who is the u-23 manager?

edit: I know that the u-23 manager is Anthony Hayes but who is he?
  • edited August 2021
    Lost 4 - 1 after leading 1 - 0 at half time.

Was really men v boys as Bromley are a big, physical and quite skillful team.

Before anyone says we should close the academy Bromley have already beaten Palace and Arsenal U23s this pre-season.

And a lot of the better U23s are with the first team tomorrow IE Clayden, Davison, Roddy, Deji or injured IE Henry and Aoucheria.

But no one stood  out, Powell took his goal well, Barker was solid and also hit the bar at 1-0.

No idea on the trialists. 15 was a big centre half who looked older than most and was OK, 14 was a tiny centre mid 

Beadle came on in goal at halftime but can't blame him for the four goals.

He conceded and then saved a penalty only ffor  Bromley to score from the subsequent play.

Good to watch the game with @Swisdom
  • Sponsored links:

• Did we ever get to the bottom as to whether Daniel Kanu joined Arsenal or not? One of the names which I keep looking out for in the yoof matches? 

• Didn't realise Liam Trotter had dropped down to that level.
  • Did we ever get to the bottom as to whether Daniel Kanu joined Arsenal or not? One of the names which I keep looking out for in the yoof matches? 

Don't think he has left.
  • edited August 2021
    Did we ever get to the bottom as to whether Daniel Kanu joined Arsenal or not? One of the names which I keep looking out for in the yoof matches? 

He’s still with us and posted his cafc headshot a few days back 👌
  • Scoham said:
    Didn't realise Liam Trotter had dropped down to that level.
    Only 32 as well, surprised to see him in the NL

Barker is clearly not in the matchday squad for Oxford tomorrow if he played tonight
  • mart77 said:
    Did we ever get to the bottom as to whether Daniel Kanu joined Arsenal or not? One of the names which I keep looking out for in the yoof matches? 

He’s still with us and posted his cafc headshot a few days back 👌

• Report: Bromley 4-1 Charlton Athletic U23

13th August 2021

Bromley made sure that they ended their pre-season undefeated by beating Charlton Athletic U23s 4-1. 

The game started in the worst possible way for The Ravens. Charlton U23s midfielder Johl Powell hit a thunderous effort from distance which left Mark Cousins dumbfounded and handed the visitors the lead. Bromley’s first real attempt on goal was by James Alabi. The forward turned his marker but shot straight at Nathan Harvey.

As the game reached the 20 minute mark, Alabi was in the thick of the action once again, this time connecting to a Jude Arthur’s cross, to which he headed over the bar. Bromley kept on pressing, as Louis Dennis’ free kick nestled just wide. Chris Bush replaced fellow defender Joe Partington in the latter stages of the first half. James Vennings, from 20 yards, hit a free kick that was heading into the top corner, to which Cousins did well to palm away. Luke Coulson then delivered an inch-perfect free-kick into the opposition’s penalty area, the delivery was met by Trialist A whose header produced an instinctive save from Harvey.

Another Coulson delivery saw Bush bravely throw himself at the ball, the defender saw his powerful header once again denied by Harvey. Bromley came the closest with minutes remaining of the first half, when Liam Trotter hit the bar with a thumping effort from distance following a corner. With seconds remaining of the first half, the visitors nearly doubled their lead. Defender Charlie Barker’s long range effort also hit the bar, leaving the hosts heading into half-time with plenty to think about. 

In the second half, Bromley commenced the game with real determination. Just minutes in, Alabi held the ball up well and passed to Michael Cheek, the striker’s venomous shot was brilliantly saved by the visitors substitute goalkeeper James Beadle. Minutes later, Bromley got their equaliser. A corner was delivered to Bush, whose on target header came off a Charlton defender and went straight into the back of the net. Brilliant athleticism from the defender. Following the goal, Bromley threatened once again, with Beadle saving well from Whitely’s low effort. 

In the 56th minute, Bromley took the lead. Dennis’ superb cross found Alabi, who headed the ball straight at Beadle, with the goalkeeper falling to prevent the ball from trickling over the line. 

With just over 20 minutes remaining of the game, a penalty was awarded to Bromley. Alabi was played through on goal and taken out by Beadle as he took the ball past him. Cheek stepped up and his effort was saved, but moments later it wouldn’t matter. Immediately after his miss, the ball landed to the forward inside the six yard box, following a goalmouth scramble. The striker made no mistake and swept into an empty net. 

Charlton nearly got a goal back from Mason Burstow, who shot wide following a cross from Billy French. A golden opportunity for The Addicks. As the game was nearing the final whistle,  returning Bromley player Louis Dennis sealed the victory for Bromley. An exquisite pass was played to Whitely by Sam Skeffington, the former crossed the ball into the box and Dennis finished with aplomb.    

After a successful pre-season, Bromley await the arrival of Grimsby Town in front of the BT Sport cameras at Hayes Lane. 

Bromley: 1 Mark Cousins, 2 Joe Partington (Bush), 4 Liam Trotter, 6 Trialist, 7 Luke Coulson, 8 Jude Arthurs (Skeffington), 9 Michael Cheek, 10 James Alabi (Stevenson), 11 Louis Dennis, 17 Byron Webster, 18 Corey Whitely (Fisher)

Unused Subs: 13 Trialist (GK), 21 Courtney Duffus, 25 George Alexander

Report by Alex Exadactylos

• Our U23s are in action on Oakwell against Charlton Athletic on Tuesday 24 August in a 1:30pm kick-off.
    https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2021/august/watch-u23s-v-charlton/
  • JamesSeed said:
    One or two trialists.

Richard Chin back

Is that ‘Hat-trick’ Toby?
    Yes it was
  • Johl Powell hit a screamer that night