Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• Team for yesterday match at Barnsley: Nathan Harvey, Charlie Barker, Naz Bakrin, Jason Pearce (Cpt), Jacob Roddy, Ben Dempsey, James Vennings, Euan Williams, Hady Ghandour,
    Mason Burstow, and Charles Clayden. Subs Johl Powell, James Beadle, Aaron Henry, Jeremy Santos, and Ryan Viggars, Powell, Henry, and Viggars all came on Dempsey, Vennings, and Ghandour.
    Looks like a 433 to me...... 
  • Wonder if Roddy got any assists...
  • Leuth said:
    Wonder if Roddy got any assists...
    Why? If he had would you want him in the 1st team?
  • Just curious to work out if he's actually a half-decent prospect away from all the nepotism noise
  • No assists for Jacob
  • I'd be interested how Vennings and Dempsey played, and whether Clare and Dobson are actually any better
  • No more minutes for Ronnie Schwartz then
  • MattF said:
    No more minutes for Ronnie Schwartz then
    Could be positive then, think he was at the Valley on Saturday as well.

He certainly wasnt there for the Chef Wendy game if I remember rightly
  • Leuth said:
    Just curious to work out if he's actually a half-decent prospect away from all the nepotism noise
    Well he was part of a shut out.
  • MattF said:
    No more minutes for Ronnie Schwartz then
    Could be positive then, think he was at the Valley on Saturday as well.

He certainly wasnt there for the Chef Wendy game if I remember rightly
    He's just picking and choosing which games he comes to watch
  • Sponsored links:

• Sounds like a Vennings masterclass, subbed at 5-0 so he can play on Saturday? ;)
  • God the amount of fans that would hate watching that at the Valley

Especially given the amount of times the ball goes backwards
    All changed when our young left-back charged forwards though...
  • Leuth said:
    God the amount of fans that would hate watching that at the Valley

Got visions of this with Ged on the touchline!! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SATixZjpr0o
  • The 25 uninterrupted passes is a little funny.  While technically true, it was 20 passes around the back with no pressure and then 5 passes leading to the goal
  • If only DJ would come into box at far post like that might get a shot on target then
  • Good report.

My guess is that with no one from Comms there they had to wait to get the video this morning to write the full report having given the result and scorers yesterday.

Have Barnsley even mentioned the result yet?

No mention of Aoucheria so assume he's injured or ill.

They tried to pass the ball v Bromley last week but without being able to find a gap very often.

Is Pearce the new Andy Hughes?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    All I can add is Herbie Keane, once linked to this Parish, played for Barnsley. 
    He would be the sort of deadline day signing that I would welcome. 
  • Sponsored links:

• God the amount of fans that would hate watching that at the Valley

Agreed, the booing would start, just like it did on Saturday.
  • 100% agree apart from when our 1st team do it they go backwards and sideways until they have to pass it back to the keeper who then has to knock it long anyway
  • Leuth said:

You joke but this is precisely what has been missing from our attacking play so far this season. Lost count how many times I’ve seen Matthews and Gunter pass the ball up the line and hold their position. It’s like the floor is lava if they cross the halfway line.
  • Roddy at 18, playing in a successful victory with plenty of goal chances taken can only be a good thing for Roddy's development.
    I have only seen him play once and thought he was not ready and should play in the U23.i would prefer to see Jacob play with his peer group and make a judgement on his football ability and not who his Father is.

In Bielik,s  second game from memory he had a shocker and was all at sea. The usual suspects gave him 4+5 on the players marks, ( he was caught in possession a few times ) I gave him a generous 6 and said he will do better when he remembers he at Cafc and it's best not to dribble out of your own area!

I don't know if Jacob can do better at this stage but he needs to spend a season at U23 level so a decent assessment can be made. 

Pleased that the guys showed they can play some football on the deck.

• Swisdom said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

shouts of "Forwards" and "Why do we have to do this" when we get the ball.

This.  Is.  Why.

Drag your opponents out of shape and capitalise on the space created.  Make them tired from chasing shadows.  Loads of reasons but it's also great to see CAFC players not panic in possession and playing a simple pass until an opening is created.  Great stuff.  Proper sexy football
    100% agree. Watching from here in Dubai, you could feel the crowd creating pressure on our own team, after we played 5 pass across the back. So frustrating, that our fans can’t move forward with the style of play.
  • Let’s hope that in some kind of typically unpredictable and haphazard way the goals at least are somehow loaded on to the club website.
    It would cheer people up, and actually be about the football players playing at our club.
    More interesting than going on the site and reading about the centre circle dining experience, which in itself does not include a price or a menu.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Swisdom said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

This.  Is.  Why.

Drag your opponents out of shape and capitalise on the space created.  Make them tired from chasing shadows.  Loads of reasons but it's also great to see CAFC players not panic in possession and playing a simple pass until an opening is created.  Great stuff.  Proper sexy football
    100% agree. Watching from here in Dubai, you could feel the crowd creating pressure on our own team, after we played 5 pass across the back. So frustrating, that our fans can’t move forward with the style of play.
    It's not a Charlton problem is it.  Watching the England games in the pub in the summer it was just the same. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Swisdom said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

This.  Is.  Why.

You need players brave enough to stick with it. I remember hearing Brighton fans reacted in a similar way under Poyet, but of course it becomes more accepted if it gets results.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Swisdom said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

This.  Is.  Why.

It's not a Charlton problem is it.  Watching the England games in the pub in the summer it was just the same. 
    We have struggled to combat the high press for a number of years now. Teams know that if they press our defenders we end up hoofing it long they get the ball back.  Either our defenders are not comfortable enough in possession or the crowd getting with their back forces them to go long rather than trust the process. 

It’s easy to play us when you press us.

we need midfielders who create space, defenders who can pick a pass and a striker that makes it stick.  Then we become a different proposition but if any part of that process isn’t present it falls over.
    that goal the u23’s scored is a great example.  There are several times where we don’t appear to be going anywhere but they trust the process.  Eventually the attackers are less committed to pressing and a gap opens.  A few decent passes later and the defenders are the wrong side of the ball/man.  A nice one-two sets us off down the wing and the goal follows. Lovely stuff.