Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• Wigan got a couple of first team fringe players in that squad. We’d do well to get a result when you consider a handful of ours played U18 last season.
  • Big come down for Jacob Roddy.

First choice LB at the club starting for U23s
  • Finished in a 2-1 loss
  • Curtis Tilt is 30 years old and played a fair bit of League football and Burstow has scored against him. Some talent that boy from whenever I’ve seen or read about him.
  • edited September 2021
    Curtis Tilt is 30 years old and played a fair bit of League football and Burstow has scored against him. Some talent that boy from whenever I’ve seen or read about him.
    Probably not right to throw him into a struggling side right now, especially one that doesn't create many chances, but i'm confident he'll be getting first team league appearances before the end of this season.
  • Curtis Tilt is 30 years old and played a fair bit of League football and Burstow has scored against him. Some talent that boy from whenever I’ve seen or read about him.

• Scoham said:

Struggle to understand why we got it so wrong in releasing Zemura. Now a Championship left back just two years after we left him go.

I understand it’s harder to judge younger age groups but he was 19. Can’t blame the club if a player is poached before they’re 17 either.

If he keeps this up and has a decent season he’ll be a player worth several million. 

Could have done with pacey attacking left back this season, though hopefully Souare will come in and do well.

Zemura could have been the longer term option we need, instead we offered Stevenson another year. He’s now at Bromley.
    Yes I really rated Zemura. He was rapid but always composed on the ball. One of the few glaring mistakes Avory has made. Ajayi is another. 
  • There is supposed to be a game on Friday I believe. Will the club bother to inform the fans with details in a timely fashion? The game yesterday was advertised at 1pm.
  • edited September 2021
    seth plum said:
    There is supposed to be a game on Friday I believe. Will the club bother to inform the fans with details in a timely fashion? The game yesterday was advertised at 1pm.
    The communication from our club is abysmal & i normally check the opposition's website for venue/ kick-off times.
    Friday's game against Sheff Wed is listed as a 1pm kick-off at 'The Valley' according to Wednesdays website.
    https://www.swfc.co.uk/matches/under-23-fixtures/
  • Sponsored links:

• The match yesterday is still listed on the club website as 1pm.
    Such poor communication makes me doubt the club information about the game on Friday.
    Will it be at 1pm, will it be against Sheffield Wednesday, where will the game take place, when will there be clear and unambiguous information?
    If the communication team is frustrated by the flipping and flopping by the football side and things are undecided or change at the last minute, so what?
    Get your act together and respect the fans, especially regarding actual games played by actual Charlton footballers.
    Oops sorry lads, I shouldn’t criticise the communications team who are all unpaid volunteer Charlton fans.
  • P.S Did anybody watch the highlights of the Reading U23 game on the official site? It was a game of six halves judging by the editing.
    Only available to subscribers lol.
  • Sounds like Curtis Tilt fancies himself as a hardman against kids!
  • edited September 2021
    Slightly off topic but while we're moaning about the site, I don't know why it takes 3-4 days to upload the manager's post-match interview. Seems like other teams get their highlights up much faster as well. 
  • Scoham said:

Struggle to understand why we got it so wrong in releasing Zemura. Now a Championship left back just two years after we left him go.

I understand it’s harder to judge younger age groups but he was 19. Can’t blame the club if a player is poached before they’re 17 either.

If he keeps this up and has a decent season he’ll be a player worth several million. 

Could have done with pacey attacking left back this season, though hopefully Souare will come in and do well.

Zemura could have been the longer term option we need, instead we offered Stevenson another year. He’s now at Bromley.
    Yes I really rated Zemura. He was rapid but always composed on the ball. One of the few glaring mistakes Avory has made. Ajayi is another. 
    Both mistakes no doubt but is it Avory who makes contract decisions on u23s (u21s when Ajay was here I think)? I thought he was more involved at u18 level and below than the young pros, but I may be wrong.
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Both mistakes no doubt but is it Avory who makes contract decisions on u23s (u21s when Ajay was here I think)? I thought he was more involved at u18 level and below than the young pros, but I may be wrong.
    I thought Ajayi was poached by Arsenal rather than released?
  • edited September 2021
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

I thought Ajayi was poached by Arsenal rather than released?
    He was out of contract and we offered him another 6 months. Arsenal gave him 2 years.

They didn’t sign him until September so it probably wouldn’t have been an issue had we given him a year or two in the summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

Ah, yes ...... hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:

An unnecessary remark. I say it as I see it rather than the usual rose tinted glasses brigade of which you are one. 

Over the last 20 years I have regularly watched and reported on the reserve/under 23s, so my opinion has some substance. 
  • edited September 2021
    Scoham said:

Agreed, a poor decision (although I don't know how good he was at the time). Given Page was our only senior LB when the decision was made, find it a bit odd we couldn't offer both contracts as even when we signed Purrington permanently, we still didn't have a back up all season apart Doughty playing the odd game there. 
  • I am assuming there is a game tomorrow (Friday) against Sheffield Wednesday U23’s at the Valley, kick off 1pm with free entry for season ticket holders.
  • seth plum said:
    I am assuming there is a game tomorrow (Friday) against Sheffield Wednesday U23’s at the Valley, kick off 1pm with free entry for season ticket holders.
    The match is now listed as a 1pm kick-off at Sparrows Lane on our website.

Friday, September 17th: Charlton v Sheffield Wednesday 1pm (Sparrows Lane)
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/matches/u23-matches
  • Nice one - will pop along to PVR for that game.
  • edited September 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:

An unnecessary remark. I say it as I see it rather than the usual rose tinted glasses brigade of which you are one. 

Over the last 20 years I have regularly watched and reported on the reserve/under 23s, so my opinion has some substance. 
    Haha .... I wear my rose-tinted specs with pride!
    I see the possibilities rather than worst case scenario. Of course, the reality is usually somewhere in the middle. I know that.

I'm one of those who follow the U23 thread and appreciate all reports, including yours.

Steve Avory isn't going to recommend releasing the best young players on whim.
    He'd have been involved with this player regularly, assessing and evaluating physique and character as well as ability. When Zemura was released, there must have been good reasons at the time, surely? 

There may have been no foreseen pathway to our 1st team. Other youngsters in that position may have been regarded at the time as better prospects. 

Many players get released at that age and have to find another club, even dropping to non-league.
    And some have the nous, determination and fire in their belly to find a way back to a League club.

Like Harry Arter, for example. And a myriad of others if you think about it.
    Good for them! But if mistakes were made releasing them, well .... that's what happens in life, isn't it?

And that's why I said, "hindsight is a wonderful thing".

• I am sure I should know the answer to this, but can anybody turn up at Sparrows Lane tomorrow for the game, and do they need any ID, and how much to get in if any, thanks.
  • RedJohn said:
    I am sure I should know the answer to this, but can anybody turn up at Sparrows Lane tomorrow for the game, and do they need any ID, and how much to get in if any, thanks.
     Pre-covid it was Valley Gold members on production of their membership card who were allowed free entry into games at Sparrows Lane.
    For matches at Princes Park [Dartford] or The Valley different rules applied, usually a small charge for non Valley Gold members.
    It would be useful if somebody from the club could confirm this seasons arrangements.
  • I have one of those stupid sock memberships and a season ticket. What will happen at the Sparrows Lane turnstile I wonder.