Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• Season ticket holders got in free at Princes Park.
  • edited September 2021
    There we have it. At least we had just over 22 hours warning.
    If it is so strict and all, and season ticket purchasers who were incentivised by the prospect of the U23 games are now excluded, then streaming the game* would seem a reasonable compensation.

*constructive suggestion,
  • seth plum said:
    If it is so strict and all, and season ticket purchasers who were incentivised by the prospect of the U23 games are now excluded, then streaming the game* would seem a reasonable compensation.

I don't believe access to U23 games are ever advertised as an incentive to purchase a season-ticket, but it's a nice bonus to make use of where possible. 
    Regardless, live streaming from Sparrows Lane is not logistically possible, unfortunately. 
    There are often requests to stream U23 fixtures and we would absolutely love to be able to stream at least all of our home games, but it's just not possible for a number of reasons including budget constraints and resources. 

Buy an emergency charger and get one of the lads to stream it on his phone, all it'll cost is £20 for the charger and £50 a month tops for an unlimited data plan 😉
  • seth plum said:

I don't believe access to U23 games are ever advertised as an incentive to purchase a season-ticket, but it's a nice bonus to make use of where possible. 
    Regardless, live streaming from Sparrows Lane is not logistically possible, unfortunately. 
    There are often requests to stream U23 fixtures and we would absolutely love to be able to stream at least all of our home games, but it's just not possible for a number of reasons including budget constraints and resources. 

Forgive my misunderstanding. Historically having a season ticket gave a fan access to the U23 games. It must have changed.
    Ah well there is always 20% off a bottle of water at the midweek home game against Morecambe to look forward to.
    I take it from what you write that season ticket holders will have to pay to get in if a game randomly happens at Princes Park Dartford.
  • PS even with constraints games have been streamed before from Dartford.

• aliwibble said:
    Seth, he says up there it's due to the Covid protocols, that's why it's changed.
    Thanks for the explanation @Ollywozere, hope you're feeling better now.
    Yes I get it. I am not demanding access to Sparrows Lane in any of my posts.
    Intrigued that I might have to pay at Princes Park and curious as to how much.
  • seth plum said:

Be nice if we could at least get tweets to update us then… rather than having to go to Wigan’s Twitter 👍🏼
  • Sponsored links:

• It might be worth for those with Twitter to sign up to the Sheffield Wednesday one today.
  • i must admit, i'm not clear any more on who can and can't watch what - haven't been for years really - this is how i think it is but would appreciate being corrected as when working from home it may well be possible to get to a few games: Academy games - behind closed doors, no fans allowed. U23 games, no fans at sparrows lane due to covid restrictions but if not, you could attend with valley gold membership only. U23 games at Dartford - you can attend with valley gold membership and possibly with a season ticket but not sure.

Alo - With regards to when and where the games are on - these are posted up on the main club website?  how many days before the games ?? 

• Over the years I and others like the very astute @bolloxbolder or the incredibly knowledgeable @Paddy7, or others such as @Swisdom and Dick Plumb have regularly attended U18 and U23 games and given updates and feedback. Indeed a body of knowledge has been acquired by those of us able to attend from time to time, back in the day I used to phone in Charlton Live on a Sunday evening with youth team reports from the Saturday Morning games.
    The situation at the moment is that those inclined to follow at that level are denied, yet the Sparrows Lane COVID situation has still had a gaggle of spectators at games there judging by the haphazard clips of football we have posted on the pay to view Charlton TV.
    And last Tuesday sadly it was Wigan who provided the updates.
    I have to say that hearing that having a season ticket does not automatically get you into games at that level is a surprise and disappointment for me, and maybe for others who have previously taken the trouble in their own way to inform fans free of club bias.
  • Olly.
    I lapsed my over 40 years continuous run of season tickets for three seasons as a Duchatelet protest.
    When I decided to buy again this season in my mind was the though that it would be worth it because I know I am the kind of fan to attend at U23 level and the season ticket would get me in.
    I am sure you are right that getting in to U23 games was not specifically promoted as a reason to buy a season ticket, so more fool me for assuming that opportunity was one of the personal incentives for getting a season ticket.
    There are a small band of fans who are keen to follow the club at a level below the first team, and as one of them, for reasons you might be able to discern on this thread, I find the situation alienating.

• seth plum said:
    Olly.
    I lapsed my over 40 years continuous run of season tickets for three seasons as a Duchatelet protest.
    When I decided to buy again this season in my mind was the though that it would be worth it because I know I am the kind of fan to attend at U23 level and the season ticket would get me in.
    I am sure you are right that getting in to U23 games was not specifically promoted as a reason to buy a season ticket, so more fool me for assuming that opportunity was one of the personal incentives for getting a season ticket.
    There are a small band of fans who are keen to follow the club at a level below the first team, and as one of them, for reasons you might be able to discern on this thread, I find the situation alienating.

Seth, what in particular about the situation do you find alienating? Is it simply that you are not able to attend any fixtures at Sparrows Lane for the time being? 
    The majority of home fixtures will still be at Princes Park and fans are able to attend those fixtures. 

• Will there be twitter updates today do you know @Ollywozere - I seem remember in the past there being an issue with providing the service for U23 games on the road as no one has the time to travel and cover them?
  • Sponsored links:

• No Mason Burstow... Part of the squad (not necessarily on the bench) for tomorrow?
  • seth plum said:
    Olly.

Seth, what in particular about the situation do you find alienating? Is it simply that you are not able to attend any fixtures at Sparrows Lane for the time being? 
    The majority of home fixtures will still be at Princes Park and fans are able to attend those fixtures. 

Seeing as you have asked me personally I will answer personally but my experience is minor and inconsequential in the scheme of things.
    Mrs Plum recently retired said to me last weekend that the weather would improve this week and we must go somewhere Thursday or Friday. So I said Thursday because I thought I would be able to see the U23’s on Friday.
    So yesterday on the 12x bus from Eastbourne to Brighton I discover the game has been moved (is moved accurate?) to Sparrows Lane. So in a minor way my week has been impacted by the change. Aww poor diddums eh.
    So what alienates me beyond my minor inconvenience, is my mistake in thinking season tickets were valid for reserve games, the uncertainty regarding times and venues of games, the coverage from Wigan being a disappointment, and even the Charlton TV clips, which appear pretty randomly, and in the case of the Reading cup game rather bizarrely.
    As I have said above, the development of players below first team level has been a long term interest of mine, and these days following that interest is becoming very difficult indeed.
  • No Mason Burstow... Part of the squad (not necessarily on the bench) for tomorrow?
    Deji also absent ?
  • P.S.
    I have just read the Sheffield Wednesday preview on the OS which is informative, so thank you for that.
  • AndyG said:
    No Mason Burstow... Part of the squad (not necessarily on the bench) for tomorrow?
    Deji also absent ?
    Yeah wouldnt be surprised to see him with the First-Team again now we've lost Inniss
  • Regarding Kirk’s contribution last week Clayden would have been better, but as Clayden plays today I doubt he is very far up the line for consideration.
    What we have seen from Clayden this early season has been better than what we have seen from Kirk so far.
  • clive said:
    Interesting that we have a triallist on the bench as our sub keeper?

No Harness in the squad, so I assume he's still part of the first team squad for tomorrow, and that Hendo isn't ready?

What's happened to Osaghae and Harvey, are they still at the club?
  • AndyG said:
    No Mason Burstow... Part of the squad (not necessarily on the bench) for tomorrow?
    Deji also absent ?
    Maybe both given time with the u-18’s?
  • Going by the in-game stats on one of my betting apps we're getting pounded.

Shots 1-7
    On target 0-4