Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• The frustration with Charlton playing the long passing game is that they are not very good at it. As I understand it the idea of this is to draw opponents out of position and for our players to find space near the opponents area to make quick incisive attacks from.
    But none of that happens as our players are so static and poor at passing under slight pressure.
  • When you look at the players in our 1st team at the moment they cant play a quick flowing passing game because most of them just dont have the technical ability to do so. On Saturday the only player that could control the ball when it was passed to them with any pace was Kirk
  • edited August 2021
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Swisdom said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    God the amount of fans that would hate watching that at the Valley

Especially given the amount of times the ball goes backwards
    Agreed, the booing would start, just like it did on Saturday.
    shouts of "Forwards" and "Why do we have to do this" when we get the ball.

This.  Is.  Why.

Drag your opponents out of shape and capitalise on the space created.  Make them tired from chasing shadows.  Loads of reasons but it's also great to see CAFC players not panic in possession and playing a simple pass until an opening is created.  Great stuff.  Proper sexy football
    100% agree. Watching from here in Dubai, you could feel the crowd creating pressure on our own team, after we played 5 pass across the back. So frustrating, that our fans can’t move forward with the style of play.

There is no problem with passing side ways or even backwards per se but  you must have players in the modern game who can inject some pace and either run forward with the ball opening up new angles or player movement to beat a defense.

This season especially but even under Bowyer at times, we are so easy to negate.
    Watson is the Quintessential slow footballer now at this point in his career.
    He did not even play that bad but he can't run with the ball to create any new angles, so it's just keep ball where the opposition can just get men behind the ball until hitting Cafc in transition when the move invariably breaks down.

Under pressure, playing back to keeper is fine but Dobson did it once when he had a decent forward option. And this has been repeated so many times this and at times last season.
  • The goals from yesterday are up….if you’re a subscriber.
  • No assists for Jacob
    You wait until Ged writes his version of the match report. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    James Beadle picked for next weeks England squad 

I wonder if 17 year old James Beadle will ever play for Cafc first team ? It's unlikely;
    Brighton are interested and have been monitoring his progress.

The 18 and younger are a talented bunch at Charlton.

Tutt was 19, and Pope 20 when making debuts, I wonder if Beadle has been told he could be number 1 at Cafc by the time he is 19 (if his forms good) that may stop him going to a premier club like Brighton and constantly going out on loan ? Then again it might not.

Freddie Woodman has just made his premier debut at 24 despite being at Newcastle since 2013 when he was 16. Two years spent at Swansea as well as loan at Hartlepool, Crawley, Kilmarnock and Aberdeen.

It's best not to get too attached to our young players as Paul Walsh, Paul Elliott, Lee Bowyer,Jon Joe Shelvey, Joe Gomez, Ademola Lookman, Joe Aribo, Alfie Dougherty etc, bloody etc, leave and the cycle starts again. 

Aribo and Lookman both joined about 16 so not here as young kids.

• DOUCHER said:
    He’s also a big Charlton fan so you’d hope he’ll stick around to play for us.  Pretty sure he signed a contract not too long ago as well 
  • Swisdom said:
    DOUCHER said:
    He’s also a big Charlton fan so you’d hope he’ll stick around to play for us.  Pretty sure he signed a contract not too long ago as well 
    His whole family r massive charlton fans - gutted we let his brother Harry go to Colchester this summer and  I’m sure we will regret that - just hope we get our act together and don’t lose Janes as well 
  • Currently 2-0 down @ Sheffield United, and we've missed a penalty
  • Sponsored links:

• Currently 2-0 down @ Sheffield United, and we've missed a penalty
    Assume Ronnie’s getting a run out after all then?
  • Stockley also missed a penalty
  • Vennings missed the penno and they scored a couple of mins later

keeper isn’t Henderson. Can’t say I’m impressed with him thus far

this is a decent Sheff Utd team

santos looking sharp as is Vennings. 
  • Daniel Kanu receiving instructions …. Are we about to release the beast?

still 2-0
  • Santos off Mack Reilly on. Certainly caught the eye for the u18s the other week

hes up top with Kanu
  • 3-0 now

lightning break after Chin slipped.  2 good passes and the striker slotted.  Impressive stuff from the Sheffielders.  I reckon they may come good 
  • What's the team @Swisdom ?

Sounds like an partly U18s team which makes sense as the U23s will be playing at the Valley tonight
  • No Burstow, Elewere, Agyemang, Harness, Oguntayo

all could get some time tonight 
  • Oguntayo seems to have gone off the radar since pre-season.
  • Sponsored links:

• No surprise at the result. Seven of the sixteen man squad were U18s with most of those being U17s (1st year academy).
  • meant to be a game v Reading tomorrow at home (not sure if that's Dartford or Sparrows Lane) but can't see any info on the OS
  • meant to be a game v Reading tomorrow at home (not sure if that's Dartford or Sparrows Lane) but can't see any info on the OS
    Premier League Cup group game. 2pm kick off at Dartford (according to Reading's website).
    Premier League Cup group game. 2pm kick off at Dartford (according to Reading's website).
    Thanks.
    Are fans able to go to this @Paddy Powell
    Are fans able to go to this @Paddy Powell
    I've no idea. Hopefully we get a twitter post or an article on the OS at some point.
  • Starting XI: Beadle, Barker, Bakrin, Triallist, Roddy, Dempsey, Williams, Vennings, Burstow, Powell, Clayden.
  • Was going to say 'no Ronnie' but i assume as it's a cup game over age players aren't allowed?
  • . Subs | Trialist, Chin, Henry, Reilly, Kanu.

Was going to say 'no Ronnie' but i assume as it's a cup game over age players aren't allowed?
    very young side.

You might be right about the age rules but we have two trialists.
  • I would guess they’re trialists for the u23s rather than the first team. Still it’ll be interesting to find out who they are, could be stepping up from non-league or released from a club higher up.