Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• Denied by the pace and power of the Coventry strikers, who I assume are at least a year or two older than most of our lads. Think our U23s are going to be mint next year, and probably still a lot younger than average.
  • edited April 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    What an awful game. We look lost and they look unwilling to attack.
    Really don't understand why you are consistently so harsh on the kids.

Terry has said repeatedly that we're missing a lot of players to loans, injuries and illness.

We have an 16 year old in goal.

Coventry are well on top and deservedly lead but we are moving the ball well and starting to get back into the game.

Viggers had a good chance and we're sustaining some pressure now.
    I'm talking about them vs their opposition.

First half we didn't look great and Cov didn't look willing to attack. It was a boring half to watch. Second half we showed what we can do. I am not consistently harsh, but I will judge our u23's by how they compare to their opposition. 

Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    It's mainly a bunch of raw kids though, Dazzler. Most of the 23s team is out on loan.
    Ah so Coventry have no u23's out on loan?
    Context is all. 

Last week a player scored a hat-trick but was called "cumbersome"

Fact is we've got back into the game, we don't look lost at all now and that's with a very young side.
    Destiny is all, but that first half was poor. Leaburn did in fact look cumbersome, doesn't mean he can't finish... Maybe awkward or unwieldy would have been a better description for you, your highness.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Terry has said repeatedly that we're missing a lot of players to loans, injuries and illness.

Coventry are well on top and deservedly lead but we are moving the ball well and starting to get back into the game.

First half we didn't look great and Cov didn't look willing to attack. It was a boring half to watch. Second half we showed what we can do. I am not consistently harsh, but I will judge our u23's by how they compare to their opposition. 

Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    It's mainly a bunch of raw kids though, Dazzler. Most of the 23s team is out on loan.

Ah so Cov have no u23's out on loan?
    Context is all.

Fact is we've got back into the game, we don't look lost at all now and that's with a very young side.

Yes context is all, that first half was poor. Leaburn did in fact look cumbersome, doesn't mean he can't finish... Maybe awkward or unwieldy would have been a better description for you, your highness.
    Touchy,

We were out played first 25 mins but not after that.

• Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Context is all.

Yes context is all, that first half was poor. Leaburn did in fact look cumbersome, doesn't mean he can't finish... Maybe awkward or unwieldy would have been a better description for you, your highness.
    Touchy,

Me touchy? Surely not, you're the one acting like I have said we need to write off this generation because we looked lost compared to our opponents in the first half. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Context is all.

Touchy,

Me touchy? Surely not, you're the one acting like I have said we need to write off this generation because we looked lost compared to our opponents in the first half. 
    Touchy and now making stuff up.

I said what you said was "harsh", nothing about writing off a generation.

The team showed you were, indeed, being harsh and the  score line and performance proved that no it wasn't a "poor" game.

Just enjoy the talent on show. A lot of those kids will have good careers, with us or someone else (higher or lower) and we've seen them play.
  • edited April 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Context is all.

Touchy,

Touchy and now making stuff up.

I said what you said was "harsh", nothing about writing off a generation.

The team showed you were, indeed, being harsh and the  score line and performance proved that no it wasn't a "poor" game.

Just enjoy the talent on show. A lot of those kids will have good careers, with us or someone else (higher or lower) and we've seen them play.
     Incorrect, the team turned around what was a poor start in a poor half. 

Who is making stuff up, I never said you said anything, I said you're acting like I'd said that by saying I was "consistently harsh on them".

FWIW I love watching the u23s but will call it as I see it. Unfortunately I didn't get to watch the full second half due to work, but I will reiterate, they showed what we know they're capable of.
  • I went today and as I have a freebie Oyster card and a season ticket it cost me nowt - AND was a great game!!! That's value for money at last lol.  What a waste of time/money getting season ticket holders to queue up for a paper ticket though (especially as I was let in without one by just showing my season ticket when I first arrived but popped out for a drink from corner shop as nothing in ground was open and it was all change when I came back 10 minutes later!) Seriously though it was a great afternoon and some lovely football. First time I have seen reserves in years.
    I was also there this afternoon, also with a free Oyster card & season ticket, it was a very good afternoons entertainment.I'm not sure what some people expect from an under 23 game, it is about developing players & not about results.It is hard to find any consistency when every game there is different line-up.
    Football at this level is not really designed for for armchair viewers to watch on their screens & for the few regular supporters who actually turn up to watch these games it is a good afternoon out without having to worry about the results.
    As for the system of Queueing at the ticket office for a complimentary paper ticket & then entering through the turnstile, it does seem daft & not very environmentally friendly, also not helped with incorrect information on the club website, see below

Fans can also attend Monday's match in person at The Valley. Entrance is priced £3 adults and £1 concessions. Season ticket holders and Valley Gold members can attend for free but must present their season card/ Valley Gold membership cards at The Valley's turnstiles.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/624aa81c2f9ca/watch-u23s-v-coventry-city-live-on-charltontv
  • edited April 2022
    clive said:
    I went today and as I have a freebie Oyster card and a season ticket it cost me nowt - AND was a great game!!! That's value for money at last lol.  What a waste of time/money getting season ticket holders to queue up for a paper ticket though (especially as I was let in without one by just showing my season ticket when I first arrived but popped out for a drink from corner shop as nothing in ground was open and it was all change when I came back 10 minutes later!) Seriously though it was a great afternoon and some lovely football. First time I have seen reserves in years.
    Football at this level is not really designed for for armchair viewers to watch on their screens & for the few regular supporters who actually turn up to watch these games it is a good afternoon out without having to worry about the results.
     Ah gatekeeping who the games are designed for. 

The football at u23 level is indeed solely about the development of the kids. It's not designed for spectators at all, not even those throwing out digs at those that can't attend in person a midweek game, but as it can be spectated in person or on stream anyone can have an opinion based on what they see. 

Makes me laugh when people pop up with their holier than thou input purely because you're local enough to attend and are likely either retired or not needing to work.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bailey said:
    Can't believe I've witnessed a cat fight over the under 23's, amazing !!!
    Henry was too busy to sign Dazzler's shirt. I think it all kicked off after that.
    20 seconds. That's all it'd have taken.
  • Bailey said:
    I look forward to the usual summer arguments over whether we’ve brought in enough players by now and some writing off an entire season based on the club the first signing came from.
  • I'm looking forward to Henry posting a photo of himself sitting in his car.
  • Scoham said:
    Bailey said:
    I look forward to the usual summer arguments over whether we’ve brought in enough players by now and some writing off an entire season based on the club the first signing came from.
    Many have already written off next season although no doubt they will continue to remind us after each and every signing!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    clive said:
    I went today and as I have a freebie Oyster card and a season ticket it cost me nowt - AND was a great game!!! That's value for money at last lol.  What a waste of time/money getting season ticket holders to queue up for a paper ticket though (especially as I was let in without one by just showing my season ticket when I first arrived but popped out for a drink from corner shop as nothing in ground was open and it was all change when I came back 10 minutes later!) Seriously though it was a great afternoon and some lovely football. First time I have seen reserves in years.

The football at u23 level is indeed solely about the development of the kids. It's not designed for spectators at all, not even those throwing out digs at those that can't attend in person a midweek game, but as it can be spectated in person or on stream anyone can have an opinion based on what they see. 

Makes me laugh when people pop up with their holier than thou input purely because you're local enough to attend and are likely either retired or not needing to work.
    Apart from lockdown under 23 games and their predecessor the areserve team have always been open to spectators 
  • edited April 2022
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    clive said:

Apart from lockdown under 23 games and their predecessor the areserve team have always been open to spectators 
    Open to, but not designed with spectators in mind. It's always about the development of players and testing their ability.
  • Sponsored links:

• VALLEY GOLD GOAL OF THE MONTH | March 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Bng2aDAHQ
  • We seem to bring through a lot of good keepers
  • What an amazing cat fight. I can just picture the handbags being swung. Can we do this every week 🤣
  • We are due to play Cardiff at 1pm today.
    I presume the match is on, and will be streamed to Charlton TV subscribers.
    Nothing about it on the official site.
  • seth plum said:
    We are due to play Cardiff at 1pm today.
    I presume the match is on, and will be streamed to Charlton TV subscribers.
    Nothing about it on the official site.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/625e68d5ea45f/watch-u23s-v-cardiff-city-live-on-charltontv
  • Bakrin and Leaburn cutting it fine to get up to Cambridge this evening
  • Match free to watch on YouTube. now.