Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton FIFA 17 ratings

Comments

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

The easiest way to tackle the computer in career mode is to put the controller down. I'm not even joking. It's by far the most consistent way of getting the ball back. You don't take anyone out of position, and you don't waste player energy and, crucially, you don't get fucked off when you realise Gillingham have avoided getting tackled for 32 minutes.

Alright, calm down Russell ;)
  • Options
    So in the game Brandon Hanlan is left footed (as Addie was last year), but isn't he actually right footed in real life?
  • Options
    Some Fifa expert on Reddit has come up with a way to adjust the sliders to create a better experience. You can see it here if you want to try it.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    In mine I bought the manager focus training for double the XP, also a takeover so I have Ihenacho from City and a few others.

Recalled Watt and he's gone up a couple, as has Ajose and Bauer up to 74, and again Lookman is flying for me too, focused on his dribbling and chance creation a lot and it's shot up.

Solly has told me he's leaving as he wants a new challenge, so will have to replace him in the next window, bit gutted cause he is doing well, but that's FIFA for you.

When I do play it, I'm enjoying it and beat Millwall 3-0 at home to go 8 points clear, everyone seems to have lost form but Charlton. Lots of draws for them, enabling me to go on a little run to pull clear. Millwall down to 9th with the 2nd worst defence.

Also, they want me to bring through 2 youth players this season and play a minimum of 8 games each.

Going to start The Journey soon and see what that's about. Probably be Spurs or someone.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Some Fifa expert on Reddit has come up with a way to adjust the sliders to create a better experience. You can see it here if you want to try it.

Massive thanks for that. Yeah the couple reviews I read of the game was that every team plays a smooth passing game, and even though I haven't had a chance to play loads (work related, not coolness related), it does ring true. As Charlton I try playing that smooth possession-based game but create very few, if any chances.

I'll try mucking about with the sliders.

Nerds to the rescue again!
  • Options
    The AI is way way way too slick, every player has the passing range of Iniesta and the positional sense of Chiellini in defence, in contrast every shot my players hit has all the verve of a Churchinho rocket and the stamina of Adjarevic
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Massive thanks for that. Yeah the couple reviews I read of the game was that every team plays a smooth passing game, and even though I haven't had a chance to play loads (work related, not coolness related), it does ring true. As Charlton I try playing that smooth possession-based game but create very few, if any chances.

I just tried it, but in six minute halves not ten. It works quite well but you do have to be patient. The CPU doesn't psychotically attack you the instant you get the ball which is nice, but I did fine by the end of the game it went back into no-fun mode and stopped me stringing passes together. Still, it's an improvement. More like playing old fashioned PES.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

SDAddick said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I just tried it, but in six minute halves not ten. It works quite well but you do have to be patient. The CPU doesn't psychotically attack you the instant you get the ball which is nice, but I did fine by the end of the game it went back into no-fun mode and stopped me stringing passes together. Still, it's an improvement. More like playing old fashioned PES.
    Cool thanks. Yeah my default is 7 minute halves and was wondering how they would interact. Still have a fair amount of work to do today but once I'm done (or stop caring) I'll give it a go and report back my progress.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I am half way through first season joint top with a game in hand,world class. Lookman up front is my tip. I haven't really been developing him other than the odd training session and he is top scorer with 11 goals. Not finding it difficult to score as others would suggest, i do hate the new penalties too seems a bit pointless addition(especially when your mate when playing 2 v 2 is awful at them)

Jackson best free kick taker for me, dropped him initially but for set pieces and still pops up with the odd goal he is rotated.

Hanlon although low rated is decent but only really gets a turn out in the cups, think i might be Semi final of capital one cup, went out 2nd round checkatrade lol, into 3rd in FA cup

Just need to get my online going as my internet is crap but once done i will enjoy it alot more, last night i did start the Journey which is pretty cool but i here its only for one season so puts me off a bit. Playing as CAM, i committed the ultimate sin and signed for palace, more as i thought would be a good starting ground. Scored a few in pre season and came on and scored 2 my debut in premier vs Liverpool, think i might complete that before the career mode now as there is alot more too it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2016
    =
    JiMMy 85 said:

I started mucking about with this last night and it definitely helps a lot. Just started a career mode with Charlton, but not going to lie, before I did I made some players, namely Hanlan, Lookman, and Konsa better, and adjusted RCC to be more of an engine room midfielder that he actually is than the winger they have him as.

Changing these settings definitely make play a bit more sloppy and make it easier to win the ball back, and also makes giving the ball away more common. More realistic. I'll probably play with the settings a bit more, but thanks so much for sharing.

Also, Hanlan is only 6' in the game (he's got to be closer to 6'2-3'') and is left footed (I THINK he's right footed). Hope that an update catches that at some point.
  • Options
    I'm very pleased with the new settings. Although I'm not remotely enjoying online, so the slower speed won't help me improve there much.

I pushed user passing speed up a bit but otherwise did as instructed. I find it's a bit like playing old fashioned Pro Evo or ISS. I had a very open cup game against Birmingham followed by an excruciatingly impossible game against millwall. In the latter, I remained calm and persevered and nicked it by the odd goal. So even when it's in what I call 'no fun' mode I still eked out a win. That's not happened before on this one.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm really enjoying it too. I'm finding that the CPU is now hard to break down, and a lot of the times look to hit on the counter. Playing as Charlton in League One it feels a lot more realistic. The computer can still string passes together but I seem to be able to win it back with some patience. The game is far more of a midfield battle now and it requires patience in the build up to break other teams down--which is hard with Charlton's midfield. All told quite realistic. I may tweak it a bit in favor of the computer just to make them a bit more of an attacking threat--I'm only playing on World Class and am not ready for the step up to Legendary. But I'm finding the same thing you are, close matches where I'm able to nick it or am held.

Also, I've never played online in all the years I've had the game (I'm a luddite), what are the problems you're having?
  • Options
    I tend to play Season where you play ten games against random people, and you have targets - something like 10 points to stay up, 15 to get promoted and 20 to win a title. There are eight divisions I think. I ended the last game in Div 2, but this time I'm getting smashed every time (as Spurs). No matter how well I play, I lose. I don't understand what my problem is so I'll keep doing training and career mode until I can handle trying again.

The worst thing about Seasons is, everybody you play tends to be an asshole. They do all they can to wind you up and get you to quit, send snidey messages after winning, that kind of thing. Very rarely do you meet someone who is sporting or respectful. I have to be in the right frame of mind to deal with it!
  • Options
    I'm tempted to nip down to CEX at the weekend and grab a copy, along with a second hand Xbox One. I'm not a big gamer at all, but absolutely love FIFA - even getting hooked on it on my phone. (Although the mobile version is rubbish since it's all FUT now, there's no ability to actually do a season/tournament with a proper team)

I'm hoping to have some time off next week, and I'm contemplating going to Berlin for a few days OR - rather sadly - just doing absolutely feck all other than lounging about around the house. Tempted to grab FIFA and go for the latter I think.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I'm very pleased with the new settings. Although I'm not remotely enjoying online, so the slower speed won't help me improve there much.

I pushed user passing speed up a bit but otherwise did as instructed. I find it's a bit like playing old fashioned Pro Evo or ISS. I had a very open cup game against Birmingham followed by an excruciatingly impossible game against millwall. In the latter, I remained calm and persevered and nicked it by the odd goal. So even when it's in what I call 'no fun' mode I still eked out a win. That's not happened before on this one.

Did the same with the settings, first game after was a 5-2 belter with Bristol Rovers, when I got the 4th there was a little "get in". Cant remember when a game last did that to me.

11 points clear of 3rd in January, Bald Bruss can only dream of such things
  • Options
    playing on world class have just started my second season back in the championship. when I first started had a lot of 0-0 games but slowly got better at attacking. out of nowhere absolutely tonked cardiff 5-0 first game of this season, a nice bonus to get tony watt back!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I tend to play Season where you play ten games against random people, and you have targets - something like 10 points to stay up, 15 to get promoted and 20 to win a title. There are eight divisions I think. I ended the last game in Div 2, but this time I'm getting smashed every time (as Spurs). No matter how well I play, I lose. I don't understand what my problem is so I'll keep doing training and career mode until I can handle trying again.

The worst thing about Seasons is, everybody you play tends to be an asshole. They do all they can to wind you up and get you to quit, send snidey messages after winning, that kind of thing. Very rarely do you meet someone who is sporting or respectful. I have to be in the right frame of mind to deal with it!

Yeah I don't have the patience to deal with the unwashed masses.

I think I'm one point off top after 7-8 games in my season. Konsa is up to 62, Hanlan to 58, and Lookie 66 (started at 64). Trying to train up the yoot. Crofts has been ace for me because in this game he can tackle and pick a pass.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've found Pearce is fantastic, and Kashi is an all-rounder. Botaka makes a good super-sub. Watt is decent, Novak and Magennis are being dumped. Ajose is ok, Lookman has a better shot on him. I don't like Crofts, maybe I'll give him another shot on your advice.

First thing I ever try to do in career mode is buy Jamie Murphy and Johnny Russell. I've got the former, he's a great finisher still. Will have to get promoted to sign the latter, who I consider to be the greatest video game player of all time.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I've found Pearce is fantastic, and Kashi is an all-rounder. Botaka makes a good super-sub. Watt is decent, Novak and Magennis are being dumped. Ajose is ok, Lookman has a better shot on him. I don't like Crofts, maybe I'll give him another shot on your advice.

First thing I ever try to do in career mode is buy Jamie Murphy and Johnny Russell. I've got the former, he's a great finisher still. Will have to get promoted to sign the latter, who I consider to be the greatest video game player of all time.

At last a fellow Johnny Russell appreciator, does the job every year. What a man.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Holmes is the main man for me, MOTM most matches at the moment, ajose, magennis and botaka are injured, so its watt and looky up top, vetokele out wide, and hes very effective from there.

I refuse to play crofts and hes transfer listed, no one wants him....ulvested is very good behind the front 2
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    As mentioned above, I used my coins to buy a takeover and focus on training for double XP.
    My current team I am using that I find is doing the business for me:
    Ratings in brackets.

Declan Rudd (74)
    Chris Solly (72) Patrick Bauer (74) Jorge Tex (73) Joe Gomez (73)
    Baba Diawara (76) Will Hughes (76)
    Alex Iwobi (72) Marko Rog (78) Ademola Lookman (74)
    Kelechi Ihenacho (78)
  • Options
    Too early for takeover for me. I'd probably get into the Premier and then Europe, and then feel annoyed at myself for leapfrogging a couple of years of effort! Although it would be sweet to fantasise about fixing the club, but not on behalf of Douchebag and Nightmeire.

Training is a great idea though, best do the legwork early on and reap the rewards, rather than farm out the likes of Lookman when you need someone better.

• Options

JiMMy 85 said:

At last a fellow Johnny Russell appreciator, does the job every year. What a man.
    He wasn't so great last season, which worries me. I first picked Murph and Johnno up in FIFA 12, and been obsessed with them ever since. I don't use skill moves much, rather I turn inside a lot which suits Johnny. I wonder if the older players like me are a bit like that.

I have found this FIFA is making my approach redundant at the moment, but I'll know more when I get my hands on him. A conservative estimate is that Johnny has scored 500+ goals for me in the last five years. He won the treble at Barca. Kept Messi out of the team!
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I usually always do a career mode with Charlton but so little attention and care is made to the details for League One clubs and it's players that I couldn't bring myself to do it just yet.

Currently half way through my first season with Everton in legendary mode and have climbed up to 3rd place.

At Premier League level there is so much depth to each individual player in terms of look and style. Even Simon Francis looks and plays like the real thing!
  • Options
    Just read that tapping R1/RB really quick will make a player come short to receive the ball. Can't prove it as I'm on holiday and not playing until Saturday. But heard it's a really useful move.
  • Options
    I went out this morning and dropped £250 on the Xbox One FIFA Bundle, and then spent another £30 in CEX on PES 2015 (£3! Utter bargain.) and some shooters (as it felt ridiculous spending £250 literally just to play FIFA..).

I didn't realise it would mean a feckin' 40GB download though...! I'm chuffed to fuck that I got Pro Evo to pass the time with whilst it downloads.

Playing PES 2015 is a bit shit to be honest, it's got decent gameplay but then you realise it wasn't that long ago that we had Wiggins, Vetokele, Watt, Bulot, Buyens, Gudmundsson etc. It makes our performances over the past couple of seasons seem absurd; we've actually had some decent players!
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    SDAddick said:

=

JiMMy 85 said:

I started mucking about with this last night and it definitely helps a lot. Just started a career mode with Charlton, but not going to lie, before I did I made some players, namely Hanlan, Lookman, and Konsa better, and adjusted RCC to be more of an engine room midfielder that he actually is than the winger they have him as.

Also, Hanlan is only 6' in the game (he's got to be closer to 6'2-3'') and is left footed (I THINK he's right footed). Hope that an update catches that at some point.
    Have you downloaded latest squads? Hanlan, RCC & Lookman have all had ratings boosts.
    RCC is a box to box CM & Hanlan is now right footed.

Also Johnson has been (rightly) downgraded. Think he's 67 or something now.

It's as if someone heard you! :smiley: