Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We can prove the attendances are lies

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2016
    The club cannot usually issue many comps for cup matches because if it does it has to pay the opposition and the league their share of the notional ticket price (above a certain controlled level). Since there are no season ticket admissions, cup gates are very accurate.

The gap between the actual attendance and the announced has been up to 5,000 in the past in particular circumstances - Football for a Fiver would be one with a big gap, because people buy but don't use cheap tickets, but the main factor is unused season tickets and unused comps. It is usually 2,000-plus, depending on the number of comps and how they have been issued. Comps supplied to the community scheme have a low take-up rate, usually 40 per cent. You'd expect a lot of them in August which might help to account for the unrealistic gate announced yesterday.

You never get much more than 90 percent of season-ticket holders attending even the biggest games outside the PL, falling as low as 75 percent or worse for midweeks. This will have been aggravated last season by poor form, the regime etc, but it is a constant. It won't have changed (much) because disaffected fans have not bought season tickets, because that is a misunderstanding of the shortfall. People buy season tickets without intending to attend 23 games - the lower you price them, and £175 is extreme - the more this will be true. Ditto kids' tickets, which are about 25 percent of those issued.

I suspect the shortfall yesterday was about a quarter of all season tickets, plus unused comps - I received two emails from the club each offering me four free tickets, one addressed to "Katie" and another to "Holly", neither of which mean anything to me.

There's no question that numbers are sharply down on previous seasons and previous Augusts - I reckon there were 8,000 in the ground, which is unheard of for a Saturday never mind against credible opposition - but perhaps more people have gone away on holiday this year!

The Jackpot first prize yesterday was £180 compared to £155 for Shrewsbury, both of which are derisory by comparison to previous seasons. The prize is based on tickets sold.
  • Options

Can not wait for Tuesdays attendances to be given.

Tuesday will of course be very low, but I think the Crawley game will get very close to the 817 at Sainsburys.
    Was at that game 817.................Think this Tuesday will beat that gate as all time low.
    If it does I will definitely go to Crawley, as that one will surely be lower than Southampton..
  • Options

That can be no more than 20% full which would mean there are 1200 in there. Going stand by stand courtesy of the pictures submitted by those attending and it's not hard to work out roughly how many are there (not counting the pre-match shots). And it's certainly markedly lower than last season.
  • Options
    @mogodon the angle of the photo will make it look like more people. There is a fair bit less than 1,000 in that stand in my opinion. About 800 would be my guess
  • Options

@mogodon the angle of the photo will make it look like more people. There is a fair bit less than 1,000 in that stand in my opinion. About 800 would be my guess

Again, a bit like Shrewsbury you could have put everybody in the East, away fans included.
  • Options
    That's not the east sand during the game yesterday is it? There were a lot more people in it than that.
  • Options
    That's what it looked like to me from the West Stand during the game. I guessed about 750 - 1000 people.
    Thought I might try counting them if I got bored but the game wasn't that bad!
  • Options
    The East stand looked about a quarter full from my seat in the West.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That's what it looked like to me from the West Stand during the game. I guessed about 750 - 1000 people.
    Thought I might try counting them if I got bored but the game wasn't that bad!

Wait until Tuesday. You'll be able to count them then. And get their phone numbers.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

That's not the east sand during the game yesterday is it? There were a lot more people in it than that.

That was taken from the upper north about 20 minutes in - so it was yesterday and there were not a lot more people in the east, unless several hundred had nipped out for a slash all at the same time.
  • Options

That was taken from the upper north about 20 minutes in - so it was yesterday and there were not a lot more people in the east, unless several hundred had nipped out for a slash all at the same time.
    Cheap pies promotion on 20 minutes
  • Options
    Attendences can't be helped by not listing the fixtures on the OS.
  • Options

Can not wait for Tuesdays attendances to be given.

I will count them for you.
  • Options
    O well there you go, it seemed a bit fuller sitting in it.
  • Options

Yep from NEQ the East Stand looked a lot busier for the Northampton game from the angle of my seat to the picture showing it straight on .

Confirms my lifetime suspicions and problems I've had with Charlton fans over exaggerating our away followings for years , before the official numbers started getting given out and confirmed what a pathetic number we took away .
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Yep from NEQ the East Stand looked a lot busier for the Northampton game from the angle of my seat to the picture showing it straight on .

Confirms my lifetime suspicions and problems I've had with Charlton fans over exaggerating our away followings for years , before the official numbers started getting given out and confirmed what a pathetic number we took away .
    I have been one of the few that have supported you regards the interest in our away followings.

The masses are now beginning to understand you amigo, albeit regards the home gates.

• Options

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Or you could just ask under a freedom of information request. I presume the OB know exactly how many are in the ground.

Easier than counting faces in the crowd.

What's so interesting about gate figures?. If people don't want to go then fine, all have a choice.
    But I really don't understand the obsession with attendance figures.
    You tell me. Why do they announce them then if it doesn't matter?

But if they're going to announce them then at least do it properly.
    I am certain all clubs publish sold tickets, including issued complimentaries.

The 9100 advertised for the Shrewsbury game surely was 2500 more than in the ground.
    Surely the attendance figures are an indication of the 'health ' of the club.

During the Shrewsbury game I made an attendance estimate looking from the lower west stand. (estimated 1000 for east stand)

Came up with a total figure of 6500 (had to guess the upper west.) Suspect it could be as low as 5000.
  • Options

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Or you could just ask under a freedom of information request. I presume the OB know exactly how many are in the ground.

Easier than counting faces in the crowd.

What's so interesting about gate figures?. If people don't want to go then fine, all have a choice.
    But I really don't understand the obsession with attendance figures.
    You tell me. Why do they announce them then if it doesn't matter?

But if they're going to announce them then at least do it properly.
    I am certain all clubs publish sold tickets, including issued complimentaries.

The 9100 advertised for the Shrewsbury game surely was 2500 more than in the ground.
    Surely the attendance figures are an indication of the 'health ' of the club.

During the Shrewsbury game I made an attendance estimate looking from the lower west stand. (estimated 1000 for east stand)

Came up with a total figure of 6500 (had to guess the upper west.) Suspect it could be as low as 5000.
    Make you right on that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    View from upper west of east stand on Saturday 15 mins into the game.
  • Options

'King hell
  • Options

Looks less than 1000 to me.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Agree. which, looking at other pictures, makes a claim of 10,000+ utterly ludicrous, surely? A question for Meire next time she emerges from the bunker ... how are home gates calculated?
  • Options

They say the camera never lies and by heck, that is true in this case.

I can see where I have sat for the last 17 years is now nearly empty. (Not renewed my season ticket this year). And nothing Squirrel Face can say can convince me otherwise.
  • Options

Look on the brightside. Our away support as a proportion of home support has rarely been healthier.
  • Options

The club cannot usually issue many comps for cup matches because if it does it has to pay the opposition and the league their share of the notional ticket price (above a certain controlled level). Since there are no season ticket admissions, cup gates are very accurate.

The gap between the actual attendance and the announced has been up to 5,000 in the past in particular circumstances - Football for a Fiver would be one with a big gap, because people buy but don't use cheap tickets, but the main factor is unused season tickets and unused comps. It is usually 2,000-plus, depending on the number of comps and how they have been issued. Comps supplied to the community scheme have a low take-up rate, usually 40 per cent. You'd expect a lot of them in August which might help to account for the unrealistic gate announced yesterday.

You never get much more than 90 percent of season-ticket holders attending even the biggest games outside the PL, falling as low as 75 percent or worse for midweeks. This will have been aggravated last season by poor form, the regime etc, but it is a constant. It won't have changed (much) because disaffected fans have not bought season tickets, because that is a misunderstanding of the shortfall. People buy season tickets without intending to attend 23 games - the lower you price them, and £175 is extreme - the more this will be true. Ditto kids' tickets, which are about 25 percent of those issued.

I suspect the shortfall yesterday was about a quarter of all season tickets, plus unused comps - I received two emails from the club each offering me four free tickets, one addressed to "Katie" and another to "Holly", neither of which mean anything to me.

There's no question that numbers are sharply down on previous seasons and previous Augusts - I reckon there were 8,000 in the ground, which is unheard of for a Saturday never mind against credible opposition - but perhaps more people have gone away on holiday this year!

The Jackpot first prize yesterday was £180 compared to £155 for Shrewsbury, both of which are derisory by comparison to previous seasons. The prize is based on tickets sold.

I have no problem with declared attendance figures including absent ST holders, as those are tickets that have been paid for.

As I've said before it's a nonsense to include unused comps, as these are neither used nor paid for...
  • Options
    Tony Keohane must be loving this. The post 1pm surcharge is coining it in.
  • Options
    mogodon said:

Agree. which, looking at other pictures, makes a claim of 10,000+ utterly ludicrous, surely? A question for Meire next time she emerges from the bunker ... how are home gates calculated?
    The way they calculate it has been the same for some time. They add up the number of tickets sold and given away to give the attendance figure.

If they gave away 10,000 more tickets they would've claimed a 20k attendance.

I understand why it used to be done this way, counting all the ticket stubs is a waste of time. I would imagine the new computerised system will log how many codes are scanned each match day and might provide a more accurate figure.