Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jordan Henderson rumoured to be the new England captain!

Oh dear Sam, what the fuck are you doing?!

Reports suggesting he's going to name Henderson as his new captain tomorrow. Not sure this will be very popular, especially as a lot of people probably wouldn't have him in the team, and i'd expect some wouldn't even have him in the squad.

Comments

• Options
    He's shit, remember when he won the vote to be on the cover of FIFA with Messi? Laughable. I'd give it to Smalling or Cahill, whoever is likely to play more, I'd prefer Smalling
  • Options
    There are probably players in the championship (maybe even lower) who have more quality than Henderson. Doesn't really strike me as an exceptional captain type either.
  • Options
    A lot of people don't like him for whatever reason but I still think Rooney is by far the most qualified to be captain.
  • Options
    I am going to wait and see if this is actually true before I get at all worked up about it frankly.
  • Options
    Id give it to Stones. Let him lead the national team for the next 10-12 years.
  • Options
    Henderson? And i thought having rooney as capatin was bad enough! Might aswell give it to Gibbs.
  • Options
    Classic!
  • Options
    Shouldn't even be in the squad.
  • Options

People say this about every early 20s player every year. Last time it was Hart... If Rooney is to be displaced it should be Smalling
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hopefully it's just a rumour. Unless Rooney has said he no longer wants to be captain, then it'd seem odd to change it
  • Options
    Essentially it matters little as we'll still fail.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Agree.

Giving it to Henderson would be laughable.
  • Options
    What difference does it make? What do football captains even do?
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

People say this about every early 20s player every year. Last time it was Hart... If Rooney is to be displaced it should be Smalling
    Do they? News to me
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

He's shit, remember when he won the vote to be on the cover of FIFA with Messi? Laughable. I'd give it to Smalling or Cahill, whoever is likely to play more, I'd prefer Smalling

Smalling has barely played this season, so that would leave Cahill, who's not even the best English CB at his club!
  • Options
    Don't quite a lot of other countries just give that captaincy to whoever has the most caps?

Don't think it matters that much although I wouldn't have Henderson in the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

sam3110 said:

Smalling has barely played this season, so that would leave Cahill, who's not even the best English CB at his club!
    True but we should be building a team for the future (admittedly we always say that with England), so the partnership should be Smalling and Stones.
  • Options
    I don't think he's quite as bad as some people make out, and I wouldn't keep Rooney as captain because I think he needs to be droppable, but I wouldn't have Henderson as captain either. That said, for me it would have to be either Cahill (who I don't think will be guaranteed a place much longer) or Hart (potentially likewise).
  • Options
    Henderson was summed up when we needed a goal in the last minute at the euro's, he had the ball unopposed in the middle of the field and passed it backwards.

Useless, spineless div
  • Options
    I know I should, but I really don't care.
    I really hope Big Sam can somehow turn the national team into something we can be proud of again, but our performances in the Euros will take a while to recede in the old memory banks.
  • Options
    Sums up big Sam for me. Terrible choice as national boss.
  • Options
    I rate him but he needs to score more goals.
  • Options
    Nearest he could find to Kevin Nolan. Keep the faith though, might not be pretty but reckon we'll be quarter finalists at least next time round
  • Options

Well he's played as a holding midfielder at the moment for Liverpool. Jonathan Wilson, a Sunderland supporter, commented on football weekly last week that he is on a hiding to nothing in that position, he's not a good enough pass of the ball of technician, and he doesn't read the game well enough. To be fair, he does quite well as a shuttling midfielder, and he did that job excellently against Germany and pretty well against Slovakia until they game devolved into attack versus defense. But all that said, I don't know that what England need is another midfielder who likes to run around a lot but isn't a great reader of the game, isn't great technically, and lacks a defined position (see also: Gerrard, and to a certain extent Lampard).
  • Options
    Well, Big Sam probably thinks he is the best out of that type of midfielder. It is difficult to identify a captain really - I think it would have made sense to let Rooney keep it until the natural choice became apparent.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Well he's played as a holding midfielder at the moment for Liverpool. Jonathan Wilson, a Sunderland supporter, commented on football weekly last week that he is on a hiding to nothing in that position, he's not a good enough pass of the ball of technician, and he doesn't read the game well enough. To be fair, he does quite well as a shuttling midfielder, and he did that job excellently against Germany and pretty well against Slovakia until they game devolved into attack versus defense. But all that said, I don't know that what England need is another midfielder who likes to run around a lot but isn't a great reader of the game, isn't great technically, and lacks a defined position (see also: Gerrard, and to a certain extent Lampard).
    That's a fair description of him, the sort of running midfielder that the British game tends to produce. Jordan Cousins is a similar type of player