Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jordan Henderson rumoured to be the new England captain!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Awful player. Definitely didn't make it into the squad based on current form so I can only imagine Sam has a plan for the overall shape of the team that requires him. He's hardly going to inspire the other players if no-one thinks he should even be getting on the pitch though
  • Options
    A Sam Allardyce England team won't be fun to watch, but we'll be well organised & disciplined. I think he'll do well (depending on your definition of 'well') Put it this way, I don't think we would've lost to Iceland with Big Sam in charge.
  • Options
    Henderson wasn't playing in the team that put in the worst performance in the history of English tournament football. So while I don't rate him very highly, it's not as though he will do any worse.

Rooney might be good around the camp, but I don't think he has said a single word in public about this year's debacle. No apology or explanation as to why they failed their country. So fuck him.
  • Options
    It might explain why Sam was trying to lure Terry out of retirement - as his captain. The only players I like in the England team at the moment are the Spurs bunch, especially the full backs but none of them are captain material at the moment. Drinkwater is barely in the team. Henderson is so average and not a particularly a good club captain. Perhaps make Hart an interim captain until someone else steps up. Rooney should step down imo.
  • Options

It might explain why Sam was trying to lure Terry out of retirement - as his captain. The only players I like in the England team at the moment are the Spurs bunch, especially the full backs but none of them are captain material at the moment. Drinkwater is barely in the team. Henderson is so average and not a particularly a good club captain. Perhaps make Hart an interim captain until someone else steps up. Rooney should step down imo.

Unfortunately none of the dominant British CB Captains are available to England, with Morgan and Williams playing for other countries, as both seem to have leadership qualities that the younger England players who've risen to the top quicker lack.
  • Options
    No obvious candidate at the moment.

Going game by game for now would make sense.
  • Options
    Rooney retains captaincy has been confirmed.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    An "easy decision", apparently.
  • Options
    Antonio is a strange decision......and as someone said earlier Allardyce teams are not good to watch - its virtually Roy's team ....so if they have two shots t goal they have improved
  • Options
    jdsd42 said:

Antonio is a strange decision......and as someone said earlier Allardyce teams are not good to watch - its virtually Roy's team ....so if they have two shots t goal they have improved

Antonio has scored the most back post headers since the start of last season in the premier league. Big indication of how we'll play under Big Sam.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Could Sam be our REAL LIFE Mike Bassett?

Fookin excellent!
  • Options
    jdsd42 said:

To be fair, apart from maybe Townsend and Delph, there wasn't really anyone knocking on the door of the Euros squad who was fit. Ox has started on the bench for both Arsenal games I believe, but I'd still like to see him in the squad. I still think it's not a bad squad. I think they underperformed so badly in France in part because they came up against teams who sit very deep, and they have, and will struggle against those types of teams.

The other big part of that struggle was a change in formation, and moving Rooney back into midfield so near the tournament--abandoning the tactics they'd used in qualifying and the friendlies against Holland and Germany. Playing Rooney in midfield meant he took up space that the likes of Alli, Dier, and when he came on Wilshere liked to take up, and basically completely clogged up the midfield.
  • Options
    jdsd42 said:

Why? At least he's a player in form. 10 league goals in 29 games since the start of last season.
    Compare that to Walcott who still manages to get picked. He's got 16 goals since August 2013.
  • Options
    You've got to give the captaincy to Joe Hart. He's head and shoulders above the rest.

Dear oh dear.
  • Options
    Hart's place is far from certain!
  • Options

Could Sam be our REAL LIFE Mike Bassett?

Fookin excellent!

Paul Benson for England :smile:
  • Options

jdsd42 said:

Why? At least he's a player in form. 10 league goals in 29 games since the start of last season.
    Compare that to Walcott who still manages to get picked. He's got 16 goals since August 2013.
    He's played a lot of those games at right back as well. His goal return is absolutely fantastic and in international football a player who can pop up with a goal is so much more important
  • Options
    wayne rooney announces hell retire from international football after 2018 world cup so thats another 2 years of him in the team then.
  • Options

wayne rooney announces hell retire from international football after 2018 world cup so thats another 2 years of him in the team then.

Yep - looks like he's picked himself for the next two years.

• Options

jdsd42 said:

He's played a lot of those games at right back as well. His goal return is absolutely fantastic and in international football a player who can pop up with a goal is so much more important
    He's played some at right back, but it's been more of a wingback that he's played where he looks dangerous going forward and decent at the back. Not a great/international quality defender certainly, but always handy to have a "plan B." Given England's lack of natural width, it might not be a bad idea to at least consider a 3-5-2 at some point (Shaw and Walker marauding) assuming England can find three center backs worth of the name.

As for the whole Walcott thing, yeah, me neither.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fucking Rooney?

That's it i've just turned Scottish!
  • Options

jdsd42 said:

Exactly. I'd much prefer an in form player from a lesser club get picked instead of a waste of space who gets picked just because he's at a big club
  • Options
    I would have given it to Eric Dier... Will always play and comes across well