Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

821 and 817 - anyone else there?

Before tomorrow night's possibly record breaking attendance for a home game, was anyone else with me at these two Full Members Cup games at Selhurst in November 1986? The underwhelming 0-1 defeat at Wembley in the final seemed oddly fitting after recording such miserly gates for the first two rounds (and what happened to the missing 4?)!!

Comments

• Options
    I was there for the Bradford 817.
  • Options
    Me and my brother were ball boys.
  • Options
    819 then!
  • Options
    Yes, I went to every round that year.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I would like to be there tomorrow night but I don't want to put the mockers on a club record.
  • Options
    I was there for the final at Wembley went by coach from a pub on shoulder of mutton green in welling seen some poor games in 50 years not many worse than that one
  • Options
    Yep. Went to every round.
  • Options
    Went to both
  • Options
    Yes i was at both games but will not be attending tomorrow night
  • Options

Before tomorrow night's possibly record breaking attendance for a home game, was anyone else with me at these two Full Members Cup games at Selhurst in November 1986? The underwhelming 0-1 defeat at Wembley in the final seemed oddly fitting after recording such miserly gates for the first two rounds (and what happened to the missing 4?)!!

I don't think there's any possibly about it. I will be amazed if there's even 500 at The Valley tomorrow night,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went to both
  • Options
    Remember the match against Norwich. Amazing last few minutes.
  • Options
    I will have to check my programmes but pretty sure I was there for both. Just out of interest, how many were at Steve Gritt's testimonial? It was agsinst Tottenham at Selhurst at about the same time, maybe later. Would hate to think it was really low, club legend and all that. It seemed like a really poor turnout at the time.
  • Options
    Went to the Bradford game.
  • Options
    I didn't make the Everton (?) match though
  • Options
    Went to both and the final. I particularly remember Ralph Milne in the final for some reason.
  • Options
    I went to more games that season than any other but I drew the line at those two. Went to Norwich and the final though.
    I am not going tomorrow, it's a stupid competition that needs to be scrapped.
  • Options
    i think i was there
  • Options
    Didn't Biily Beggs play in one of them?
  • Options
    Was at both
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yeah, his one appearance v Birmingham.
  • Options
    Was at both games
  • Options
    LordDofB said:

Went to both and the final. I particularly remember Ralph Milne in the final for some reason.

Lots of running about but no discernible end product.....
  • Options

Scored in the first one v Birmingham...
  • Options
    Was at both games at Selhurst then booked holiday a missed semi vNorwich.TWO GOALS IN 2 minutes.

Wembley following in my uncles footsteps.
  • Options
    Was at the 821 but not the 817. Will NOT be there tomorrow as I do not agree with the academy involvement. First home game I have intentionally missed for over 35 years. Missed a few due to being out of the country but not many.

Heavy heart not going tomorrow but this is a very bad move to involve them and does not bode well for the future.
  • Options
    They were both local games for me then as I worked near Five ways in Croydon. I saw all the home games that season in all comps, and many away too.
  • Options
    I was at the Birmingham game with my late father and his friend and a mate for my birthday "treat". I also remember Billy Beggs in the line up and him scoring.
    We could not get to the Bradford game but had we done so the record low crowd would have remained at 821!
  • Options
    I don't think they can be compared as this is, now, a reserve match isn't it? Southampton are not even playing their reserves - it's their U23 side.

Basically this is now an U23 competition so we should, probably, just be done with it and play the games at the training ground in the afternoon, midweek.

I've attended just about every home cup game for decades but I'm not going to this one and it has nothing to do with the ownership - it is because I don't consider it a first team game.

In fact come Wednesday I shall be telling anyone that asks that I haven't missed a home cup game since we were at Selhurst - as this is' a real one.

I'd be staggered if the final isn't between two Premier League U23 sides which makes a complete mockery of the 'Cup for lower league sides'.

That is the end of my ranting on this stupid competition - for now!
  • Options
    Was at both. At one of them I landed back from honeymoon, left all the unopened presents unopened, dashed to game and just made kick off. Arrived home later to find the missus had opened all the presents without me. Ah well.