Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Slovakia vs England WCQ / Bratislava

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Amazed that Barkley doesn't get a call up. If we're building for the future (as we seemingly always are), then surely he needs to be in the squad. Give him time and he could be great in the number 10 role, instead of having Rooney sitting in front of the back 4.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Only saw bits of England game but was Walcott back to his vintage worse , looked utter shit in the snippets I see

He got clean in on goal at one point and despite being offside somehow managed to poke his shot wide, whilst on another occasion had a pretty open goal and managed to shank his shot well wide

Despite that I thought he put in some good crosses and played slightly better than Raheem Sterling
    What a choice, though. "Shall I pick a player who's pretty shit or the other one who's complete shit?"
    Sterling's looked pretty good this season.
    He's a good club player have always thought that but just dont get why he cant do the same on the International stage.

Its the same with Peter Crouch, has never really been THAT prolific at club level yet wasnt International scoring record something like one in every two?
    He wasn't even that good last season, was he? Spent much time on City's bench iirc?
  • Options

se9addick said:

Only saw bits of England game but was Walcott back to his vintage worse , looked utter shit in the snippets I see

He got clean in on goal at one point and despite being offside somehow managed to poke his shot wide, whilst on another occasion had a pretty open goal and managed to shank his shot well wide

Despite that I thought he put in some good crosses and played slightly better than Raheem Sterling
    What a choice, though. "Shall I pick a player who's pretty shit or the other one who's complete shit?"
    Sterling's looked pretty good this season.
    He's a good club player have always thought that but just dont get why he cant do the same on the International stage.

Its the same with Peter Crouch, has never really been THAT prolific at club level yet wasnt International scoring record something like one in every two?
    He wasn't even that good last season, was he? Spent much time on City's bench iirc?
    No one was really that good for City last season though were they?
  • Options
    Sterling was poor last season, and his flagging confidence went on to wreck his Euros too. Could have been the abuse he got from the Liverpool fans that saw him decline, along with a rudderless dressing room at City.

His overall quality is debatable, but there's no doubt he's looked a lot better in three games under Pep than the previous year at City. Still reticent about putting him into my fantasy team after the amount of times he missed sitters last year though.
  • Options
    The problem is that he made Rooney captain . It's going to be a lot harder to drop him or substitute him .
  • Options
    We don't have any class players......or England. I think we might struggle to beat Scotland......and England.
  • Options
    Good to see a couple of Charlton flags in the stadium
  • Options
    The 3 attacking players who started against Slovakia.

Sterling who has started this season well but is a very erratic finisher
    who shouldn't have made the Euro squad. ( said so on CL that i would have taken Townsend even thou he was in a rubbish side at the time)

Kane who for the past two summer tournaments (U21 and Euros) has been hapless after being overworked by His club. he played the same against Slovakia as he did in the Euros

Lallana is a tricky feet player who had a decent Euros but needed a mistake by the keeper to break his duck after 27 internationals!
    Lampard he ain't when it comes to goal scoring.

Come off Cloud 9 Sam and start to manage.
    Honeymoon is over.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37278454

Couldn't agree more. And I didn't agree with Allardyce post match saying 'Wayne can play where he wants'. You're the manager, you tell him where to play

We've given Rooney so much leeway over the last few years. For me he's been shit since Ferguson left Man Utd. I can't believe he hasn't been pulled up on his performances
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Put Ali in for Headers and Bartley in for Rooney
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Couldn't agree more. And I didn't agree with Allardyce post match saying 'Wayne can play where he wants'. You're the manager, you tell him where to play

We've given Rooney so much leeway over the last few years. For me he's been shit since Ferguson left Man Utd. I can't believe he hasn't been pulled up on his performances

Declare an interest Shilton !
  • Options

IMHO, If Allardyce had taken the armband off of Rooney he would have retired from international football so he had to keep him as captain (if he wanted him available for selection).

He now finds himself in a position where Rooney has already announced his international retirement which means big Sam can't risk dropping him or he will just say that he was already going to retire and if he isn't playing he might as well bring it forward.

I honestly think the "he plays where he wants" comment actually translates to 'or he doesn't play any more'.

i also think that you will see Rooney withdraw from more games this campaign than ever.

Rooney is not the player he thinks he is nor is he the player a lot of people thought he would be.

i am not saying he is overrated as such especially when compared to your average footballer but truly, TRULY world class? i'm not sure he is.

Allardyce should not have held talks with him, he should have announced his squad, announced his captain and picked his team and if anyone is unhappy with that they can be asked not to be picked going forward.

Maybe he will do that later? I agree it is what he should do but I don't think he should have had a different approach as this was his first match as the England manager. He was barely starting to learn about each player. It wouldn't have been ideal to make any changes too drastic.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

If Ferguson was still there I seriously doubt Rooney would be, his performance against Iceland was enough for me. After the Euros he should have been retired.