Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Philadelphia or Washington?

At the risk of turning this forum further into TripAdvisor, which of these two would you visit for a couple of day trip from New York in December?

Any other recommendations on places to go in either appreciated as well.

At the moment the pull of recreating various scenes from Rocky is giving Philly the edge.

Comments

• Options
    Poughkeepsie
  • Options
    Washington's monuments etc. are great to look at but the city itself is horrible.

Never been to Philly but apparently there's a Big Willy there
  • Options
    Eagles or Redskins? No contest, it's got to be DC.
  • Options
    Washington, no contest.
  • Options
    Hoping to catch an NFL game when in New York actually. Need to check the Giants and Jets schedules and if it coincides with regular season or playoffs.
  • Options
    Depends on what you like to do. DC has has museums and monuments which are impressive but downtown can feel very corporate and bland. Philly has better restaurants and has better cultural vibe but doesn't have as many tourist attractions
  • Options
    DC for Smithsonian, monuments, etc. Definitely Philly for night life plus has constitution centre and more US independence stuff.

It's only a couple of hour drive or train between the two, so I'd say do both, 3 days in DC for the sights and a few days in Philly for a bit of r&r.
  • Options
    Philadelphia is much nearer NY, I did it as a day trip as the train is quite quick

Washington has a lot more to see, the museums, White House, the memorials (lincoln etc), Arlington cemetery. The central bits are nice and perfectly safe. It's much further away from NY though
  • Options
    Boston
  • Options
    Thanks everyone - some great ideas here. Been to Boston a few times so want to try a different city. Might be possible to do both but more likely only one so suggestions on here help a lot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Philly is only about 90 mins drive so easy to get to.

I enjoyed recreating the Rocky Museum of History steps run. I did it on a day when it was 90 degrees (in Philly that feels like 110) and near fainted at the top.

Good Rocky statue near there as well but despite the fact that the suburbs are a dive, Washingon obviously has more of the 'sights' such as White House, Lincoln theatre etc.

Like others say it depends what you are looking for.
  • Options
    The people in Washington are not as rude. (unless they're from Philly)
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Not been to DC but I really liked Philadelphia. There's more to do than you'd think - the penitentiary, Secret Garden, South Street bars, Reading Terminal Market, the art gallery (top of the Rocky steps) is one of the best in the world, plus it has major sports venues. It's also surprisingly spacious and clean for a city.

If anyone reading this likes It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia then there are also many TV spots easily visited.
  • Options
    I love Philly. Great city in the correct parts. All that talk about the people being rude is bollocks, it's only when it comes to sports. Got loads of uni mates from Philly and their families would do anything for you. Plus the cheesesteak at Gino's is immense.
  • Options
    Boston is nicer than both
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I'm in Philly and Washington every week for business. The people in Philly are rude, make no mistake about it. Ranked #5 in this survey.
    http://www.travelandleisure.com/americas-favorite-places/rudest-cities#miami
  • Options

Boston is nicer than both

Unless you have to drive.
  • Options

Hoping to catch an NFL game when in New York actually. Need to check the Giants and Jets schedules and if it coincides with regular season or playoffs.

http://www.giants.com/games-and-schedules/schedule.html
  • Options
    Philadelphia, I an't spread or cook with Washington.
  • Options
    Have another couple of days in New York. Rivalled only by London for best city on the planet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have been to New York many times as wife is from there and mother in law lives there. Usually go every other Christmas but there for two weeks this time so looking for a couple of days in a different place. Ideas here really helping - cheers all.
  • Options
    How about Boston? Similar distance to Washington.
  • Options
    Boston is great but been there a few times so want to go somewhere different this year.
  • Options
    Philly is probably far easier for a day trip, less than 2 hour drive and about the same by train. You could do Rocky steps/statue/art museum, liberty bell, constitution hall and maybe a few other sites in day.
  • Options
    Washington is not a day trip there is so much to see and do. Smithsonian air and space, etc.
  • Options
    Been to both. Washington.
  • Options
    If you haven't been to DC then that surely has to be the winner if you want to take in a ton of American history in a few days. Of course Philly has plenty to offer in that category but nothing on the scale of the White House, National Mall, Arlington etc.
  • Options
    Spent 3 months in Philly back in 2004. Had a great time. Great for boozing. Fado's is a must visit (1500 Locust). Excellent pub. They open early for the football as well.
    Check out the cheese steaks at Pat's and also Geno's, which is right opposite each other.
    I put on a lot of weight during those 3 months.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Washington, no contest.

What's that profile pic all about!!!??? A hybrid Stars and Stripes (bless) and Union Flag!! Really! Sorry, it has to be one or the other. To amalgamate the Union Flag with that is an insult.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Poughkeepsie

I'm guessing this is a joke? A dump when I went there for a day out a few years ago. The two places I felt intimidated in the states was the state of New Mexico and Poughkeepsie