Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Philadelphia or Washington?

Comments

• Options
    limeygent said:

limeygent said:

Washington, no contest.

What's that profile pic all about!!!??? A hybrid Stars and Stripes (bless) and Union Flag!! Really! Sorry, it has to be one or the other. To amalgamate the Union Flag with that is an insult.
    No one else has complained about the flag, in fact some have said they admire it. I'm a proud Englishman living in The States, can't help it if you choose to be insulted.
    I like it, plus, it's just a fucking display picture
  • Options
    We have family in Phillie , we went last year and can't wait to go back.
  • Options
    If you want another suggestion, try Boston. It's to the north of New York and is about the same time by train as to Philly. Smaller city coaxed in so much history. Paul Revere's house, Sam Adams Tavern, Bunker Hill Monument, Harvard University, Tea Party Harbour and the thing is, as it's a small city, most of its walkable.

If you're a massive fan of sports you have Fenwick Park, Boston Celtics (check thout schedule) and New England Patriots on an NFL Sunday.
  • Options
    I really liked Philly, Washington is way better for ticking off sights. I thought that Philadelphia had more character and better food.

As some have said, Boston is great too. I'd choose Boston > Philly > Washington. All are pretty different and would recommend each city.
  • Options
    Out of the two I'd say Boston. Have you been?
  • Options
    Weird but great how we all see the same things differently.

Not been to Philly yet but Washington is probably in my top 5 US cities and I'd happily go back as there's still so much I missed last time. Whereas Boston would be lucky to break into my top 20.

These sorts of threads are great for getting ideas about what to do and what's available but ultimately we all want different things and are open to different influences that the next person isn't.

Haven't considered Philly before now but interesting so many seem to like it though.

• Options
    OP has been Boston loads of times I believe but otherwise then city would be ahead of the other two.

All US cities have their own character and I guess it comes down to what you want to get out your visit. For instance Memphis is a dump bit of you are in to the whole Sun Studio and Elvis thing it comes at the top.

San Diego is my fave US city, with Dallas, Chicago and Austin all up there.
  • Options

OP has been Boston loads of times I believe but otherwise then city would be ahead of the other two.

All US cities have their own character and I guess it comes down to what you want to get out your visit. For instance Memphis is a dump bit of you are in to the whole Sun Studio and Elvis thing it comes at the top.

We're going to be in the States for a couple of weeks in April and I wasn't sure where to go after Nashville, was leaning towards Memphis for a couple of days but you've made me consider if that's a good idea or not @DamoNorthStand as we aren't really into Elvis.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

We're going to be in the States for a couple of weeks in April and I wasn't sure where to go after Nashville, was leaning towards Memphis for a couple of days but you've made me consider if that's a good idea or not @DamoNorthStand as we aren't really into Elvis.
    I've heard generally mediocre things about Memphis but haven't been myself, on the other hand Nashville is meant to be great. If you head the other way from Nashville to the S. Carolina coast there's Savannah and Charleston which are good.

Would agree with @DamoNorthStand on San Diego being my favourite city out there though. Probably helped that it was Labo(u)r Day weekend when I went, but the Gaslamp district bars, beach, climate, Mexican food... everything was spot on.

Austin and Dallas are on the 2017 road trip.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016

You'll probably have to trust me on this, but Omaha doesn't have its own character. It hasn't even bothered to borrow one from another city.

Nothing against those you've mentioned but generally I seem to much prefer some of the smaller US Cities. In no particular order, Key West and St Augustine (both Florida), San Antonio (Texas), Charleston (South Carolina), Portland (Maine, although the Oregon one is okay too) River Island (Illinois), Sacramento and Palm Springs (California) St Louis and St Joseph (both Missouri) spring to mind.

Personally, if I was in New York State anyway and I hadn't been, my priority would be to head up to the Niagara Falls, maybe with a side trip to Lake Placid. But not sure you'd want to be doing that in December!

• Options
    My personal belief is that the best parts of America aren't in the big cities with the tourist attractions but rather smaller cities and even better the small towns and country side. Places like Savannah, Charlestown, telluride, Taos, Burlington, Portland Oregon, Maine coastline, California coastline and the national parks in California, Montana and Utah. For example one of the best vacations I have ever had was hiking during the day in glacier national park while staying in a nice little town called whitefish Montana
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

You'll probably have to trust me on this, but Omaha doesn't have its own character. It hasn't even bothered to borrow one from another city.

Nothing against those you've mentioned but generally I seem to much prefer some of the smaller US Cities. In no particular order, Key West and St Augustine (both Florida), San Antonio (Texas), Charleston (South Carolina), Portland (Maine, although the Oregon one is okay too) River Island (Illinois), Sacramento and Palm Springs (California) St Louis and St Joseph (both Missouri) spring to mind.

Personally, if I was in New York State anyway and I hadn't been, my priority would be to head up to the Niagara Falls, maybe with a side trip to Lake Placid. But not sure you'd want to be doing that in December!

San anthonio, Texas is a great city, really pretty river walk in the centre, with a British pub if you're feeling homesick!

My personal belief is that the best parts of America aren't in the big cities with the tourist attractions but rather smaller cities and even better the small towns and country side. Places like Savannah, Charlestown, telluride, Taos, Burlington, Portland Oregon, Maine coastline, California coastline and the national parks in California, Montana and Utah. For example one of the best vacations I have ever had was hiking during the day in glacier national park while staying in a nice little town called whitefish Montana

This. California countryside/coastline (Pacific highway) is stunning and Montana is beautiful and imo is the state with the friendliest people.
  • Options
    Unfortunately if you've travelled significantly in Europe then US cities really don't compare very well - I guess our respective ideas of 'history' are a few centuries different.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Unfortunately if you've travelled significantly in Europe then US cities really don't compare very well - I guess our respective ideas of 'history' are a few centuries different.

Good point actually, found the Liberty Bell and stuff pretty underwhelming in Philadelphia - but apparently it's quite a big thing? I think it's maybe an under-appreciation of American history outside the US as much as the fact the history is newer. For example, the film Lincoln won an Oscar and the whole thing went over my head really - just found it so, so boring.
  • Options
    I enjoy going to the USA for the modernity and convenience, not for the history - I do think if you go there for that you will indeed be underwhelmed.
  • Options

Vegas for me, it's like a pilgrimage every time I go! (I'm there again next week). For everything else it's NYC - for me second only to London as the greatest city on earth (from what I've seen of course).
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Done memphis in March was there 4 nights 3 full days combined with hawaii.
    Gracelands first day 8am till6
    Tupelo 2nd day 9am till 5
    3rd sun studio some other place that had Elvis statue and the quack quacks at pea body hotel rained heavy all bloody day was so glad for the wife we had done the Elvis thing first two days.
    Se9addick if your not really into Elvis I would probably go somewhere else,
    Done beale street first night but to be honest it easier getting a gun than a beer.
    Only took our passports out to usa most places wanted I.D so we had to stick to a couple of bars where we could get served hence only one night on beale st.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Vegas for me, it's like a pilgrimage every time I go! (I'm there again next week). For everything else it's NYC - for me second only to London as the greatest city on earth (from what I've seen of course).
    Vegas isn't really America though, it exists in its own little world that just happens to be geographically situated in the US.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

bobmunro said:

Vegas isn't really America though, it exists in its own little world that just happens to be geographically situated in the US.
    Think you are right. I would say the same about Orlando. Like going on holiday to Spain - there are so many Brits there it isn't really a real American experience.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:

se9addick said:

Done beale street first night but to be honest it easier getting a gun than a beer.

You should have asked for shots.
  • Options

I know where you are coming from but if you dig deep there are some real finds. St Augustine in Florida for example is the oldest continuously occupied (by Europeans) site in the USA. It dates back to 1562. The Americans also excel at presenting their history. Sites like The Little Big Horn are immaculate and really interesting as are places like Jamestown which is a real treasure and the recreated Plimoth Planation. Tiny little museums, like the Pony Express one in St Joseph are great to visit. (Even though the famous mail service lasted for little more than a year - I'm not convinced this is a good job advert: Wanted: Young, skinny, wiry fellows not over eighteen. Must be expert riders, willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred)
    Europe has so much history we're a bit blasé about it. Italy can't even be arsed to dig most of theirs up.
    We have a civil war battlefield site, Naseby, which has a memorial, a brown sign beside the A14 and, well, that's it. In contrast, the American Civil War battlefields are superbly looked after and fantastically interesting and educational places to visit. We were entirely coincidentally visiting Harper's Ferry on the anniversary of John Brown's raid and there was a re-enactment going on.
    I'm as guilty of old world disdain for American history as the next man. But it's difficult not to be charmed by the way the Americans deal with this stuff.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

se9addick said:

Done memphis in March was there 4 nights 3 full days combined with hawaii.
    Gracelands first day 8am till6
    Tupelo 2nd day 9am till 5
    3rd sun studio some other place that had Elvis statue and the quack quacks at pea body hotel rained heavy all bloody day was so glad for the wife we had done the Elvis thing first two days.
    Se9addick if your not really into Elvis I would probably go somewhere else,
    Only took our passports out to usa most places wanted I.D so we had to stick to a couple of bars where we could get served hence only one night on beale st.
    They just didn't like your boat.
  • Options
    Hark at you
  • Options
    se9addick said:

bobmunro said:

It's a city in the US (but yes, I know what you mean!).
  • Options
    the same thing could be said about hawaii though got a different feeling to the rest of the usa
  • Options
    Go to Toronto.
  • Options
    Was going to do Reykjavik Toronto memphis new York then fly back elfs was a mare to try and book in flights to and from memphis were more than London to usa
  • Options
    May try to visit both now, either in a three day trip from New York or two separate trips over the two weeks I am there. Thanks for ideas everyone - much appreciated.
  • Options

May try to visit both now, either in a three day trip from New York or two separate trips over the two weeks I am there. Thanks for ideas everyone - much appreciated.

Good bus service between the cities, inexpensive, too.
    http://us.megabus.com/Default.aspx?SearchAndBuy1_ddlTravellingTo=123&SearchAndBuy1_ddlLeavingFrom=142&gclid=CIrBx4ja-M4CFUEehgodKTkGlw