Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What a Sad State of Affairs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37286499

What kind of savages do we have in our society that the police are having to resort to using spit hoods to protect themselves?

Comments

• Options
    I thought these were already being used as saw an news story about someone being arrested @ London Bridge and one being put on him because he started spitting at the police
  • Options
    El Hadj Diouf should have been made to play wearing one.
  • Options

The worst state of affairs is from the do gooders IMHO

Liberty, Amnesty and Inquest are among the Human rights groups to speak out against them, saying they belong in "horror stories".

"A spit hood is a primitive, cruel and degrading tool that inspires fear and anguish," Martha Spurrier, director of Liberty, said.

Really FFS

Maybe she should continue talking and say: "If you dont want to end up wearing one, dont spit at someone"
  • Options

Liberty, Amnesty and Inquest are among the Human rights groups to speak out against them, saying they belong in "horror stories".

"A spit hood is a primitive, cruel and degrading tool that inspires fear and anguish," Martha Spurrier, director of Liberty, said.

Really FFS

Wonder if she felt the same if some low life gobbed in her face every night
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Really FFS

But as inevitably happens when you give police a new tool..

Lord Adebowale, former chair of the commission on the Met Police's response to mental health, said: "There is an awful trend of these devices being misused and being used in a way which tends to impact minority ethnic groups, those with mental health challenges, those with learning difficulties."

That hood looks terrifying. Yeah it sucks that police are being spat on and bitten, but I don't see how sticking a hood on someone is going to deescalate problems.

As an outsider looking in, it seems that the answer to most things is to just give police more weapons*. You had billy clubs which were being misused or no longer met the need, so you gave them tasers. Now handcuffs and tasers don't work so you give them hoods. Instead of giving them tools why not spend that money on giving them training on how to deescalate problems?

*We have that here in the States too, except we just give our police fucking tanks and shit (I'm not kidding, a lot of police forces have gotten left over armaments that were intended for battlefields).
  • Options

Really FFS

I do wonder if these people have ever been the victim of a crime or know somebody that has, they can't have with their warped view on the World.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Really FFS

I do wonder if these people have ever been the victim of a crime or know somebody that has, they can't have with their warped view on the World.
    The vast majority of people haven't been the victim of crime or know someone who has - especially violent crime. We live in one of the most peaceful, law-abiding nations on earth.

That said, I don't agree with her.
  • Options
    Anyone else see 999 what's your emergency last night? It's a joke what the police have to put up with. Spat at, headbutted, kicked and one low life saying he's gonna rape the copper's wife and kids. Can't understand why more funding isn't given, things will only get worse.
  • Options
    Spitting is such a big issue now, the Ambulance service have devised a "spit kit" so should we be spat on, we can use the kit to collect a sample for DNA and with support from the Police can "hopefully" get a conviction for assault.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    they should just fight fire with fire, if someone is spitting at the police just cuff them up to some railings and get a couple of meat wagons down and spit all over the c#nt
  • Options

Really FFS

My Father in Law left the old bill quite a few years ago, citing lack of support and lawsuits as part of his reasons.
    He was an old school copper, and was a driver with the Sweeney, I remember him saying that they knew who the villains were, and yes they did 'fall down the stairs' from time to time if they tried to smack him when we wasn't looking. But if he was having a row and rolling round on the ground with some 'erbert and got the better of him, that was the end of it. Now everyone wants to sue the old bill, and we let them.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    SDAddick said:

Really FFS

But as inevitably happens when you give police a new tool..

Lord Adebowale, former chair of the commission on the Met Police's response to mental health, said: "There is an awful trend of these devices being misused and being used in a way which tends to impact minority ethnic groups, those with mental health challenges, those with learning difficulties."

That hood looks terrifying. Yeah it sucks that police are being spat on and bitten, but I don't see how sticking a hood on someone is going to deescalate problems.

As an outsider looking in, it seems that the answer to most things is to just give police more weapons*. You had billy clubs which were being misused or no longer met the need, so you gave them tasers. Now handcuffs and tasers don't work so you give them hoods. Instead of giving them tools why not spend that money on giving them training on how to deescalate problems?

*We have that here in the States too, except we just give our police fucking tanks and shit (I'm not kidding, a lot of police forces have gotten left over armaments that were intended for battlefields).
    The problem is, being spat at requires hospital treatment with anti-virals that can have some pretty nasty effects and the quality of life for the officer involved is also going to be reduced until they know they've got the all clear. There was a young policewoman who died in Ukraine recently after contracting infectious diseases from spit - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3716788/Policewoman-dies-contracting-fatal-contagious-disease-thug-spat-face-arrest.html

One of the best things about living in the UK is - in my opinion - the fact that our police force is very keen to de-escalate verbally; a large chunk of a new police officers training at the moment is about verbal de-escalation. When someone is kicking off and spitting at you though, it may be a bit late for that.

I don't doubt for one second that they will be used more on minority groups - but I'll qualify that with a chat I had with a mate recently; we were discussing stop+search and I asked him whether he reckoned he stopped more people from minority backgrounds on a daily basis. His answer was "Yeah, I do... but I work in a predominantly black area where it would be quite difficult to stop the same amount of people who were White British.". Contrast that to a pre-dominantly White area, and the answer would be similar: most people are white, most people who get stopped+searched are white. So the real question is, why do certain areas (which often possess a larger amount of minorities) require more intervention?

The real tragedy is not that more minority groups get stopped, searched or will have a spit-hood applied to them. The real tragedy is actually the fact that many of the areas which require more intervention have a larger make-up of minority groups. Rather than questioning bias in the police force, it may be worth looking at other potential issues that facilitate these areas stagnating and/or becoming unsafe. Until people at-risk of falling in to crime have other genuine alternatives within their reach, then any options are purely reactive.

However, on the topic of spit hoods - I think they're great. If you're going to try and spit at someone then you can't really complain when your face is covered over IMO.
  • Options
    In my manifesto for the people's republic once fitted the person dishing out the spit receives double the number in clumps
  • Options
    There's been some awful stories of these being used on young people with Autism by police in the full knowledge of their background so like any tool aimed at restraining their needs to be a lot of training and thought put into their appropriate use.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Shrew said:

There's been some awful stories of these being used on young people with Autism by police in the full knowledge of their background so like any tool aimed at restraining their needs to be a lot of training and thought put into their appropriate use.

Personally I would say that it is appropriate to use a spit hood when someone is spitting at you.
  • Options

Really FFS

that's the idea of the hoods .. don't spit and avoid being hooded .. better than being smacked in the gob with a baton/truncheon which is what some of these scumbags deserve
  • Options
    Would rather be punched in the face than spat at.

If you don't spit at police, then you have nothing to worry about. Simple as that really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If you don't spit at police, then you have nothing to worry about. Simple as that really.

You really believe they only use it if someone spits?
  • Options
    iainment said:

You really believe they only use it if someone spits?
    So would you rather them not have them and run the risk of being spat at?
  • Options
    Sadiq Khan has blocked the trial scheme.. Absolutely farcical.
  • Options
    The police have existed in one form or other for as long as society has existed. And now they need spit masks.
    Hmm.

The only problem with modern police is that whatever is given to them to use is used by a significant minority of them inappropriately. And they end up killing people. And I think they should actually try and police effectively with minimal resort to gadgets.
  • Options
    iainment said:

The police have existed in one form or other for as long as society has existed. And now they need spit masks.
    Hmm.

The only problem with modern police is that whatever is given to them to use is used by a significant minority of them inappropriately. And they end up killing people. And I think they should actually try and police effectively with minimal resort to gadgets.

Perhaps society hasn't ever been so scummy and lacking in respect.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    iainment said:

Hmm.

Were you the brains behind 'hug a hoodie' ?
  • Options
    iainment said:

Hmm.

So what should they do to someone who continually spits in their face?
  • Options
    Ask them nicely to cease.
  • Options

iainment said:

Hmm.

So what should they do to someone who continually spits in their face?
    Ask them if they have AIDS, hepatitis or TB and would they kindly refrain from passing it on, even if it would upset the CL Lefties :-)
  • Options
    Has this rise in spitting coincided with the fact police don't seem to carry truncheons anymore?

Not that I advocate OB giving some Herbert a corrective slap round the face...