Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What a Sad State of Affairs

2»

Comments

• Options
    Easy to be glib but can see being misused by heavy handed coppers on the wrong people and someone having a heart attack / major anxiety attack in the ensuring panic / struggle. Already get those incidents happening with tazer

Likelihood these could escalate problems as much as they solve others
  • Options

Easy to be glib but can see being misused by heavy handed coppers on the wrong people and someone having a heart attack / major anxiety attack in the ensuring panic / struggle. Already get those incidents happening with tazer

Likelihood these could escalate problems as much as they solve others

Maybe, but people could always try behaving themselves and avoid any contact with the police.
  • Options
    As a society you get the police force you deserve. As respect for all forms of authority have decreased and the disrespect shown to the police is breathtaking for someone of my generation. I find it no surprise that the police are no longer acting like George Dixon.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    #SpittersLivesMatter

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Why anyone would chose to go into the OB in this country is beyond me.

People spitting or biting the police feeling degraded when a mesh hood is put on them?!?

Do me a favour.

Just taser them instead.
  • Options

Why anyone would chose to go into the OB in this country is beyond me.

People spitting or biting the police feeling degraded when a mesh hood is put on them?!?

Do me a favour.

Just taser them instead.

In Walsall I got chatting to a copper who was directing traffic around a fallen tree .. he was South African .. told me that UK police forces spend a lot of time and resources attempting to recruit in the republic where the police have what he described as an increasingly impossible job .. let's hope the same does not happen in England
  • Options

Shrew said:

There's been some awful stories of these being used on young people with Autism by police in the full knowledge of their background so like any tool aimed at restraining their needs to be a lot of training and thought put into their appropriate use.

Personally I would say that it is appropriate to use a spit hood when someone is spitting at you.
    Support workers, care workers, community facilitators are working with people with challenging behaviour all the time, in thousands of community centres, residential homes and dementia care places. Striving to create safe, creative, positive environments for people to be together in. These groups include some people who struggle to control there emotions and sometimes spit. They do all we can in finding a balance between caring and nurturing people and having clear boundaries. Using a spit hood would never even be thought of as a solution. Why make someone who is clearly upset and in turmoil feel like a trapped animal. Would you like a spit hood put over your mother in her eighties because she is spitting at someone ?

Police are often brought into domestic situations where they need sensitivity and intelligence using a spit hood on vulnerable people entails none of these.