Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pub names

Comments

• Options
    The Cobweb in Boscastle. before health and safety the whole ceiling was covered in cobwebs. spiders dangling down into your pint of Tribute.
  • Options

In the camp site at Le Mans a few years ago, a group of blokes had set up a bar in the campsite called The Wankers Arms. They'd obviously gone to some expense to get the sign properly made up.

You can always tell a classy area if The Anchor Inn hasn't had its sign graffitied.
  • Options
    The Elusive Camel - used to be in Victoria, don't think its there anymore... (pun not intended)
  • Options

The Cobweb in Boscastle. before health and safety the whole ceiling was covered in cobwebs. spiders dangling down into your pint of Tribute.

ive been there recently and it's still in need of a good dusting!

• Options
    edited September 2016
    The Bleeding Wolf........Stoke on Trent.

The Strugglers...............Lincoln. Outside the castle walls where prisoners about to be hung would 'struggle' with the gaolers on their way to the gallows.

The Pyewipe Inn.....Lincoln.
  • Options
    Call it the queens legs......... So you can stand outside waiting for them to open so you can have a drink......
  • Options
    The Squirrels Inn, Northampton.

Now we know why Meire is so late on a Saturday.
  • Options

The Squirrels Inn, Northampton.

Now we know why Meire is so late on a Saturday.

A good place to get your nuts in.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

The bar snacks thread got me thinking, what's inn a name? Any great pub names you've come across in the past? Or does anyone have a name they'd want to call their pub?

Working on Fleet Street obviously Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese immediately springs to mind, and then there's Dirty Dicks over in Bishopsgate.

If I had my own pub it would celebrate all things pork and be called the Pig and Peacock, which is inspired by a trip to Maryon Wilson Park, where I once saw a peacock standing on the back of a pig in the animal enclosure there.

What names have you seen/would like to see?

There was a pub in Greens end Woolwich called Dirty Dicks, my sister had her wedding reception there. It has been closed for many years
  • Options
    My locals in sunny south Lincolnshire are ..the nags head or ...........SPANNERS BAR .someone must be taking the piss out of me and the only other Charlton fan in the village :(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There was a pub in Auckland (closed recently) called 'The Gym'.
  • Options
    I remember Monty Python naming two pubs. "The Fox & Gynecologist" and "The Duck & Prime Minister"
  • Options
    When asking a mate what his local was, he replied, "The Churchill and the Beehive". I found out later that they were two separate pubs, which is a shame, I was hoping the sign would be poor old Winston being stung by bees.
  • Options

The Cockwell Inn
    Tillet
    Herts

I always thought it was:

The Cock Inn
    Welwyn
    Herts
  • Options
    I like the Half Crown in Benfleet, Essex. You might think it's a pretty standard name, but it was always called the Crown until, on the week that Britain went decimal a lorry crash took the front of the pub away.
  • Options
    The Kebab and Calculator from The Young Ones always makes me smile.

There used to be a pub between Biggleswade and Cambridge called "The Ongly Arms", but everyone called it "The Scratching Cat". No idea why.
  • Options
    I used to run with the Orpington Road Runners and they meet in Green Street Green outside the Buff

Go for a run then in the buff for a drink!!
  • Options
    The Bear & Ragged Staff, in Crayford was called "The Orange Kipper" for a while, in the 1990s.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    There used to be a pub in Woolwich called The Million Hare which would cause countless arguments if you drove past it during a game of Pub Cricket.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Which was previously known as The Lord Howick.
  • Options
    The Spit Or Swallow
  • Options
    There is a pub in Portsmouth called The Jolly Tax Payer although I feel it would be more at home at the Olympic stadium
  • Options

I used to run with the Orpington Road Runners and they meet in Green Street Green outside the Buff

Named after a breed of chicken "The Buff Orpington"
  • Options

Apparently a good later ,and quality meat.Sounds like my ideal lady
  • Options

Apparently a good later ,and quality meat.Sounds like my ideal lady
    Layer I meant to say
  • Options
    Edie's Bra in hooligans island
  • Options
    The Dew Drop Inn, New Cross. Not sure whether its still there but it used to have some wierd unique wall art.
  • Options
    I did like "The Office" as I would go there after work, and if I was married at that age, I could have gotten home and said "Sorry love, I was in The Office all night." which I think was the point.