Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scunthorpe v Charlton | Tue 20 Sept | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Scunthorpe United v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 20th September 2016 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Chris Sarginson (Staffordshire)

Introduction

With the dust settling on another weekend of League One Football and with the inquest into our second defeat of the season coming to a close on CharltonLife it is simple to say where our season is going. The answer to that question is still who knows, we’re still in September and with a large part of the season still to come there are still few indications whether we’ll be in a play-off / mid-table or even relegation fight.

This Tuesday night we play our match in hand after the previous International Break and we travel to North Lincolnshire facing a team who have started their season the same way they finished the last (more of that in a minute), three points won’t be easy tomorrow evening, yet achievable they are and being a game in hand, three points can catapult us right back into contention… Placings for this Division will go down to the wire!!

The Opposition
Name: Scunthorpe United | Manager: Graham Alexander
Ground: Glanford Park

If there was one team left in League One last season that didn’t want the season to finish then that side would have to be Scunthorpe, as low as 21st this time last season, they would lose only one match from the end of February till the end of the season leaving them outside of the Play-Offs purely on Goal Difference.

The Iron haven’t even lost at Glanford Park since December 2015 (A 1-0 loss against Sheffield United) and that was under their old Manager: Mark Robins, so since their new man has been in the hot seat they haven’t even lost at home which is an extremely impressive feat for any club at any level. This season and Scunthorpe have continued where they’ve left off… And the stats don’t lie… the Iron have conceded just once at home (on the opening day of the season), have lost just once (at Port Vale) and have drawn just once (at Fleetwood), the only blot on their record is they’ve yet to be seriously tested by ex-Championship opposition yet I doubt that will worry them.

This Tuesday night though could be a small measure of revenge for the Addicks… Visiting Preston at the end of the 2011/12 season, they were denied victory and the chance to add to their impressive points tally, the man that stopped them that day was retiring: Graham Alexander… Maybe it’s time to return the favour and end his impressive run!!

Charlton Team News
Having two matches so close together (and with another two games coming up in the next week), it’s not just me with my previews that’ll be hard at work… Russell Slade may need to juggle his team which could see Ezri Konsa having a deserved rest after making an good impression to start his career… Nicky Ajose is another who could be rested having struggled in front of goal whilst Johnnie Jackson now fit again could return to the team.

Rudd
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Fox
Holmes | Ulvestad | Crofts | Jackson
Lookman | Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Lennon | Konsa | Foley | Botaka | Ajose | Novak

Prediction
Charlton have shown against Bolton and Wimbledon that no team will push us over and I don’t see a repeat of the Scunthorpe v Gillingham result (5-0)… At the same time we’re not currently ruthless enough in front of goal, I don’t see us grabbing three points and a draw is the best I believe that we can hope for. Tomorrow night could see us playing against the eventual winners of League One 2016/17, it certainly wouldn’t surprise me

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Exactly the same personnel I have said on the Bauer and Tex thread. Easily adapted from a 442 to 433, and even a 4312. The extra man in midfield with Jackson being in there means we can play some football, be more solid, harder to break down and we know that Jackson will burst forward during the game and Ulvestad is more athletic so can do the same. Bauer must come in for Konsa, it's now or never for a game like this.

Good preview and it's going to be a real test for us against the league leaders, especially after the Saturday.

With the team mentioned, a surprise 2-1 win for us, and things would look a little better, pushing us up to 8th.

Without the changes, a reverse 2-1 to Scunthorpe, and we would really have had a poor start.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    great preview .. and I like the proposed team .. I visit Scunthorpe quite often and the sense of pride and relief at the reprieve of the steelworks, the raison d'etre for the town's existence, is palpable ...
    This sense of pride has filtered across to the football club, despite the low crowds that are attracted to games.
    The Irons are locally owned and is managed by Alexander who got Fleetwood promoted from the second division a couple of years ago .. how I wish that we had got him as our manager, he's a man on the up ... anyway

If we get a point on Tuesday I will be well pleased. As @ForeverAddickted has explained, Scunny are formidable at home .. it is a very strong, tireless, tough and sometimes dirty team with no little skill which just does not stop .. big defenders, well matched and strong midfield, very dangerous strikers; Madden in particular is consistent at this level.
    I am hoping/wishing for a point, at least .. it'll be a very hard won one or three if it comes to pass

Scunthorpe United 1 v CFC 1
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Why could they be the eventual winners of league 1? Its only Sept - their team isnt that packed full of star quality.

Saying that - I wouldnt back us against Welling at present.
  • Options
    I think the reason why Brussel did not make substitutions was that he was saving players for Tuesday - Jackson, Bauer, and maybe even Novak and Botaka will play from the start.

Rudd
    Solly
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Fox
    Holmes
    Jackson
    Crofts
    Botaka
    Magennis
    Novak

Subs: Phillips, Foley, Lennon, Konsa, Ulvestad, Ajose, Lookman

A point would be welcome, but I can't see it personally. Roland Out!
  • Options
    1-0 defeat.
  • Options
    Big centre halves who know what they are doing so would try and go through them and also stop them playing, so:-

Rudd
    Solly
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Fox
    Holmes
    Jackson
    Crofts
    Ulvestad
    Botaka
    Magennis.
  • Options
    2-0 loss.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Exactly the same personnel I have said on the Bauer and Tex thread. Easily adapted from a 442 to 433, and even a 4312. The extra man in midfield with Jackson being in there means we can play some football, be more solid, harder to break down and we know that Jackson will burst forward during the game and Ulvestad is more athletic so can do the same. Bauer must come in for Konsa, it's now or never for a game like this.

Good preview and it's going to be a real test for us against the league leaders, especially after the Saturday.

With the team mentioned, a surprise 2-1 win for us, and things would look a little better, pushing us up to 8th.

Without the changes, a reverse 2-1 to Scunthorpe, and we would really have had a poor start.

I agree, except I suspect Lookman will start from the bench having played 90 minutes on Saturday. It sounded like he struggled/tired in the second half going on what some on here said, and were he to start you'd expect at least 60 minutes out of him, which would be 150 minutes in three days. I bring this up solely on the point that he's played a lot of football in the last ~3 months, and with 8 months of the season still to go, we don't want to burn him out.

I fear that will result in Slade sticking with Ajose. There could be more space in this game for him as Scunthorpe seem to be good on the attack, and if we sit back and can hit on the counter we could play into Ajose's strengths. That said, I fear that his lack of ability outside the opposition 18 yard box will be a hinderance in a game like this.

Hoping Tex and Ba get run outs for the U-21s this afternoon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we need to come away with 3 pts. I appreciate they're a good side and it's only our 9th game, but if we don't pick up a win 2mo I think it will tell us we're not good enough to mount a promotion challenge. Promotion is the least RD amd KM need this season to try and win back some respect
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

I think the reason why Brussel did not make substitutions was that he was saving players for Tuesday - Jackson, Bauer, and maybe even Novak and Botaka will play from the start.

Rudd
    Solly
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Fox
    Holmes
    Jackson
    Crofts
    Botaka
    Magennis
    Novak

Surely you would only think like that once you'd secured the 3 points available that day?

Especially as that game was at home against theoretical strugglers whereas the game on Tuesday is away against the league leaders where even 1 point would be regarded as a bonus.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    LenGlover said:

Pedro45 said:

Rudd
    Solly
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Fox
    Holmes
    Jackson
    Crofts
    Botaka
    Magennis
    Novak

Surely you would only think like that once you'd secured the 3 points available that day?

Especially as that game was at home against theoretical strugglers whereas the game on Tuesday is away against the league leaders where even 1 point would be regarded as a bonus.
    And beyond that, you're talking about throwing players on for 10-15 minutes, players who have had a week without a match. If JJ wasn't ready to come on, or Slade wanted him to start on Tuesday and didn't think he could come on as a sub and play Tuesday, don't put him on the bench. Surely Botaka is good at beating a man closing him down and would have been useful? Even sticking Bauer up front would have been useful...

Really, any substitution would have been useful to a team who'd conceded twice in 8 minutes and looking to be lacking in energy and ideas.
  • Options
    I'd set up for a draw tomorrow. A win would be a bonus, but a draw would be ok.

Lookman, for all his individual brilliance isn't a winger, as he always seemed to be dragged inside, his game is running at defenders and shooting, not getting out wide and setting up others, thus I'd play him (if he plays) in more of a number 10 role.

So maybe

Rudd
    Solly Bauer Pearce Fox
    Botaka Crofts Jackson Holmes
    Lookman
    Magennis

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Pedro45 said:

Rudd
    Solly
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Fox
    Holmes
    Jackson
    Crofts
    Botaka
    Magennis
    Novak

Yes, I agree, but I can't think of another reason though? It was obvious that the side needed freshening up; take the momentum away, even before the equaliser, but no. Nothing. Nada. Zip! Even when they went in front, we could have chucked on Botaka, or put Pearce up front, but nothing...maybe Slade had other things on his mind?
  • Options
    What good is another draw? Same old story. If we'd won Saturday then defeat not a disaster tomorrow night.
    As things stand we're probably hopeful now for just 2 points from next two matches.
    AFC subs changed the match. Slade lost control. Alright for him to talk about being ruthless. How about being ruthless himself and haul players off who are not delivering.
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    killer and flash
    Results to date, weak midfield and defensive frailties mean we cannot afford the luxury of a no.10.
    Lookman is a right footer yet being played on the left. Inverted wingers a feature of the past 2 seasons ie JBG, left footer but played on the right with JC with one right foot kept on the left 2014/15.
    Ade could've switched with Holmes to shake things up with Rusty frozen in the rectangle.
  • Options
    Sage
    Don't think we have the nous to play anything other than 4-4-2.
    Complicate team formation at your peril especially against potential high flyers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sage
    Don't think we have the nous to play anything other than 4-4-2.
    Complicate team formation at your peril especially against potential high flyers.

To be fair to Slade from the sounds of things we've played variations on the 4-4-2 theme, including starting 4-5-1/4-3-3 with Mcgennis on the right against Fleetwood.

That said, I largely agree with your statement, which to me is incredibly damning on the players and manager.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

LenGlover said:

Pedro45 said:

Rudd
    Solly
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Fox
    Holmes
    Jackson
    Crofts
    Botaka
    Magennis
    Novak

Yes, I agree, but I can't think of another reason though? It was obvious that the side needed freshening up; take the momentum away, even before the equaliser, but no. Nothing. Nada. Zip! Even when they went in front, we could have chucked on Botaka, or put Pearce up front, but nothing...maybe Slade had other things on his mind?
    I fear he may have bottled it a little and been shell shocked himself. I can't justify that, but I can't think of any other reason, let alone an acceptable one, for not making any substitutions after the 68th minute.
  • Options

killer and flash
    Results to date, weak midfield and defensive frailties mean we cannot afford the luxury of a no.10.
    Lookman is a right footer yet being played on the left. Inverted wingers a feature of the past 2 seasons ie JBG, left footer but played on the right with JC with one right foot kept on the left 2014/15.
    Ade could've switched with Holmes to shake things up with Rusty frozen in the rectangle.

I've left out Ajose to give Lookman this free role.

The thing is, that's how he plays anyway. His goals this season have all been from fairly central positions just outside the box, as that's where he wants to be, Lookman is a striker, not a winger
  • Options
    always think 15 games in is when you can see where your heading for the season, problem with having a reasonably small sqaud is no competition for the positions ajose is playing shit atm, but will he get dropped, probably not after shelling out money on him roland and co are hardly going to have him sat on the bench.
  • Options
    2-0 defeat. Scunthorpe win at a canter. Central midfield is still pony and will be till Janury at least.
  • Options
    Bauer need sto play; as much as I like to see a youngster coming though Bauer will give us massive presence at the back
  • Options
    When Gomez 1st came into the team, he didn't play every game,
    that's why his agent used to phone Katrien up on a Sunday night. (could be the only thing she has said at CAFC when her nose didn't grow)

So not a case of Konsa being dropped, but playing Bauer who looked decent in the championship. The irony is Lennon would do well in this division as a CB, but with Pearce playing Ok, i can't see him getting a game any time soon. (Lennon is No LB).

Novak for Ajose who is not putting away his chances.
    Play Lookman in the number 10 position.
    Give Botaka game time. Why no Botaka for 25 minutes on Saturday ?

Can we get Motivated for a Tuesday night in Scunny ?
    Can we get motivated for any night in Scunny ?

1-1
  • Options
    Unchanged team. 3-1 defeat.
  • Options
    Big_Bob said:

Unchanged team. 3-1 defeat.

This