Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jimmy Seed's grandson's condemnation of the regime

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:

seth plum said:

Charlton Athletic will work with fans to refurbish the Jimmy Seed Stand sign following feedback from fan group Target 20k.

I still can't get over this. You're repainting/replacing a sign! It really doesn't need a committee of fans and relatives to set a strategy.
    The "strategy" was that the club were asking Jimmy if he wanted to design the logo - which he did. He put forward a few suggestions following a Twitter poll he ran I believe. Seems he's now had a 180 degree turnaround.

swisdom to the rescue of katy.................................................yet again zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options

Swisdom said:

BDL said:

@Swisdom Steve what is your line in the sand?

When I'm walking naked on a beach holiday. Two footprints and a line in the middle :-)

Joking aside I don't get what you mean. I drew a line in the sand after we were relegated. I don't think we can fall any further, I don't think we will I don't think we are. The problem is that for every time something goes reasonably well there is something to counteract it which is seemingly bigger.

The training ground was a positive however the planners are now making things difficult so the club will get hit over the head with it.
    We employed an English manager and some new players who appeared to want to play for the shirts however then the Thomas Driessen affair came out and everything becomes shit again.

The biggest problem is that there are so many people who will twist and spin everything the club says into a negative that it just outgrows the original positive and makes it seem like we are in freefall still. I am well aware that things are not perfect but I also not quite as destitute as many people would want us to believe.

The defeat to Wimbledon was not good enough I don't think anyone would dispute that but we have been on the other side of smash and grabs many times past and it is just part of football. That's what makes the game so awesome, you can be dominant in a game and still lose no other support offers this.

The wording the club used of "working with the fans to get this done" was ambiguous and has inevitably led to people stating the club wouldn't be paying. As of last week I know for a fact they were getting it done and are paying for it. It was out to tender.

I am not sure if last night's statement will change this though
    They got a quote for it over the summer so sorry I don't believe what you say about if being a "fact" that they are getting it done. Even going to tender doesn't mean it will be done. That's just asking the price. Even if we believe the version of the story they have given you they claimed credit before they had even got a quote.

As for the training ground being held up by the planners, well that is a new one. We already have planning permission, we started the work, then when we were relegated it was stopped. What have the planners got to do with it?

This must be the 3rd or 4th difference excuse over the "delay". It was flooding and problems with the resovair, then it was a delay while they went to tender (there's that one again) and now it is trouble from the planners.

Sorry, I don't believe them. I think they are lying and that they are incompetent.

Roland doesn't want to spend the money on a league 1 club so has pulled the plug until we get, or are close to, promotion.
    I'm just saying what I was told - they are getting a price and were definitely doing it (before last night)

The training ground did have a problem with the reservoir and it got resolved. There was an issue with the original design that needed some changes and therefore planners have to approve again. I don't know the specifics of the current planning delays but there could be hundreds of reasons - local residents had issues, there may have been problems with getting the essential services to site, there was something to do with the Rugby club too. I don't know or care. But why would the club announce the details when they are only going to get lambasted.

Roland claims he won't be going anywhere until we are self sufficient - ie in the premier league (or folded)

• Options

Swisdom said:

seth plum said:

Charlton Athletic will work with fans to refurbish the Jimmy Seed Stand sign following feedback from fan group Target 20k.

I still can't get over this. You're repainting/replacing a sign! It really doesn't need a committee of fans and relatives to set a strategy.
    The "strategy" was that the club were asking Jimmy if he wanted to design the logo - which he did. He put forward a few suggestions following a Twitter poll he ran I believe. Seems he's now had a 180 degree turnaround.

swisdom to the rescue of katy.................................................yet again zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    I'm not defending anything just clarifying what this "strategy" was. It shouldn't have needed fan groups to get involved in the first place and should just be part of the stadium maintenance. They involved Jimmy - which was the right thing to do and still get grief.

• Options

As said on previous occasions this is just window-dressing to show off a proforma fan-friendly family club to potential new investors. The adoption of the JS sign is no different to the way the club loses no opportunity to associate itself with CACT, doubly ironic when you think of the present situation at SL.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Close season 14/15

The Club put in brand new red seats in certain areas of the ground, Photos of the 1998 Play Off win outside the Covered End plus a general tidy up of the Valley.

Did anyone get consulted back then about these changes or did they just do it with the minimum of fuss?

This was done by this regime, so why change tact now and look to start pleasing fans, when just do, what you did back then.

Much like the spring clean, new seats and other bits and bobs in close season last year.

But the JS stand is more emotive because it's named after the only manager to have won anything for us - so involving family was sensible
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:

shirty5 said:

Close season 14/15

The Club put in brand new red seats in certain areas of the ground, Photos of the 1998 Play Off win outside the Covered End plus a general tidy up of the Valley.

Did anyone get consulted back then about these changes or did they just do it with the minimum of fuss?

This was done by this regime, so why change tact now and look to start pleasing fans, when just do, what you did back then.

Much like the spring clean, new seats and other bits and bobs in close season last year.

But the JS stand is more emotive because it's named after the only manager to have won anything for us - so involving family was sensible
    Except that it's now gone wrong on them again. Just do it with the minimum of fuss and stop making a song/dance about it.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

shirty5 said:

Close season 14/15

So you don't include for example Curbs in winning the play-off trophy or indeed the Championship Trophy two years later?

Yes it is bloody emotive hence the reaction when Tony big bollox called it the south stand.

All they are doing is spinning what might appear to be a good news story and you and the rest of the T20 group are being used as pawns.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

BDL said:

@Swisdom Steve what is your line in the sand?

When I'm walking naked on a beach holiday. Two footprints and a line in the middle :-)

Joking aside I don't get what you mean. I drew a line in the sand after we were relegated. I don't think we can fall any further, I don't think we will I don't think we are. The problem is that for every time something goes reasonably well there is something to counteract it which is seemingly bigger.

The training ground was a positive however the planners are now making things difficult so the club will get hit over the head with it.
    We employed an English manager and some new players who appeared to want to play for the shirts however then the Thomas Driessen affair came out and everything becomes shit again.

The biggest problem is that there are so many people who will twist and spin everything the club says into a negative that it just outgrows the original positive and makes it seem like we are in freefall still. I am well aware that things are not perfect but I also not quite as destitute as many people would want us to believe.

The defeat to Wimbledon was not good enough I don't think anyone would dispute that but we have been on the other side of smash and grabs many times past and it is just part of football. That's what makes the game so awesome, you can be dominant in a game and still lose no other support offers this.

The wording the club used of "working with the fans to get this done" was ambiguous and has inevitably led to people stating the club wouldn't be paying. As of last week I know for a fact they were getting it done and are paying for it. It was out to tender.

I am not sure if last night's statement will change this though
    They got a quote for it over the summer so sorry I don't believe what you say about if being a "fact" that they are getting it done. Even going to tender doesn't mean it will be done. That's just asking the price. Even if we believe the version of the story they have given you they claimed credit before they had even got a quote.

As for the training ground being held up by the planners, well that is a new one. We already have planning permission, we started the work, then when we were relegated it was stopped. What have the planners got to do with it?

This must be the 3rd or 4th difference excuse over the "delay". It was flooding and problems with the resovair, then it was a delay while they went to tender (there's that one again) and now it is trouble from the planners.

Sorry, I don't believe them. I think they are lying and that they are incompetent.

Roland doesn't want to spend the money on a league 1 club so has pulled the plug until we get, or are close to, promotion.
    I'm just saying what I was told - they are getting a price and were definitely doing it (before last night)

The training ground did have a problem with the reservoir and it got resolved. There was an issue with the original design that needed some changes and therefore planners have to approve again. I don't know the specifics of the current planning delays but there could be hundreds of reasons - local residents had issues, there may have been problems with getting the essential services to site, there was something to do with the Rugby club too. I don't know or care. But why would the club announce the details when they are only going to get lambasted.

Roland claims he won't be going anywhere until we are self sufficient - ie in the premier league (or folded)

If he continues to run things as he currently is then he'll die of old age before we ever get back to the premier league.
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited September 2016
    @Swisdom OK cheers. I think the others have responded better than I could.
  • Options
    This planning issue, is it on the Greenwich planning website?

Did RBG find out about the extra floor with the flats Roland added or was it something else?

@addickted can you check?

• Options

Dansk_Red said:

As I said elsewhere AFKA or HI had made an appeal via this forum for £3000 to repair/replace the sign the money would have been raised within 48hrs probably less. No need for a commitee.

Just question does Andrews have any involvement in sponsoring the club? My reason for asking this is there are two signs next to the Jimmy Seed sign which would need to be removed, so the club would have to hire the equipment, irrespective of whether the JS sign needs replacing.

This was one of my frustrations with the way T20k and the club handled it.

If there had been an appeal to raise funds for the Jimmy Seed sign (and the Bartram Entrance sign which has disappeared completely) there would have been objections on the grounds of "the club should pay for it".

That's a reasonable stance but others would have contributed.

As it was I'd already tentatively raised the issue with Valley Gold, the Fans Forum might have chipped in and maybe even @Swisdom's construction company as well as individuals on CL just as we saw with the Jobling medal.

However, as soon as this was hijacked by the PR company that idea was dead in the water. It had been made, by the regime, a political issue. As soon as they tried to claim credit for it (before doing anything) they polarised it and so cut off a lot of potential funding.

I still hope both signs are replaced ASAP.
    Just want to clear something up.

I completely understand your frustration with how it was handled but it's not right to associate that frustration upon T20K.

The group's role up to the point of the website article was to raise this (in addition to their meeting agenda) with the club.

The group raised it with the club having been added into a tweet sent by James to the club. Yes you can say it's not the group's remit to do this but it made sense with an upcoming meeting to raise it whilst not detracting from there agenda.

At the meeting the club agreed to reach out to James - and they did. And that was the end of T20k's involvement in the whole matter and it was over to the club from there as far as the group was concerned.
  • Options
    don't you normally get granted outline planning permission and then go back with a detailed submission?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

don't you normally get granted outline planning permission and then go back with a detailed submission?

Yes. And you take the piss with the detailed submission and eventually end up with something slightly better than your initial plan but not as wonderful as your pisstake option. Well, that's what most developers do anyway.

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Yes. And you take the piss with the detailed submission and eventually end up with something slightly better than your initial plan but not as wonderful as your pisstake option. Well, that's what most developers do anyway.

So did the club start work without the detailed permission or do they already have it?

What is the issue holding things up?

And you are close to CACT, how happy are they with the plans and the regime.
  • Options

Dansk_Red said:

As I said elsewhere AFKA or HI had made an appeal via this forum for £3000 to repair/replace the sign the money would have been raised within 48hrs probably less. No need for a commitee.

Just question does Andrews have any involvement in sponsoring the club? My reason for asking this is there are two signs next to the Jimmy Seed sign which would need to be removed, so the club would have to hire the equipment, irrespective of whether the JS sign needs replacing.

If there had been an appeal to raise funds for the Jimmy Seed sign (and the Bartram Entrance sign which has disappeared completely) there would have been objections on the grounds of "the club should pay for it".

As it was I'd already tentatively raised the issue with Valley Gold, the Fans Forum might have chipped in and maybe even @Swisdom's construction company as well as individuals on CL just as we saw with the Jobling medal.

However, as soon as this was hijacked by the PR company that idea was dead in the water. It had been made, by the regime, a political issue. As soon as they tried to claim credit for it (before doing anything) they polarised it and so cut off a lot of potential funding.

I completely understand your frustration with how it was handled but it's not right to associate that frustration upon T20K.

The group's role up to the point of the website article was to raise this (in addition to their meeting agenda) with the club.

The group raised it with the club having been added into a tweet sent by James to the club. Yes you can say it's not the group's remit to do this but it made sense with an upcoming meeting to raise it whilst not detracting from there agenda.

At the meeting the club agreed to reach out to James - and they did. And that was the end of T20k's involvement in the whole matter and it was over to the club from there as far as the group was concerned.
    But as you know that wasn't how it was spun by the club.

And are you saying no one from T20k has communicated with Jim Dutton since the PR Spin announcement?
  • Options

Dansk_Red said:

And are you saying no one from T20k has communicated with Jim Dutton since the PR Spin announcement?
    I won't disagree the wording of and content of the article should have been better but that was purply down to the club.

I believe the group has spoken briefly to Jim to acknowledge his statement last night.
  • Options

Dansk_Red said:

I won't disagree the wording of and content of the article should have been better but that was purply down to the club.

I believe the group has spoken briefly to Jim to acknowledge his statement last night.
    Not what I asked you.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Dansk_Red said:

Not what I asked you.
    Not that I'm aware of.
  • Options
    It isn't really a big deal. It is a shame the club wants to work with fans on such a small logistical thing but has never shown any desire to work with fans on anything meaningful. If they had a policy of co-operation, this would be a non-story. In fact it would actually look good on them.
  • Options

So did the club start work without the detailed permission or do they already have it?
    Don't know - we were not involved.

Already said I don't know what the delays are now.

And you are close to CACT, how happy are they with the plans and the regime
    Anything that impacts CACT's facility is run past our company since we are one of their Patrons and they trust our judgement. If we are not happy it does not happen. Even if I knew it is not my place to state their stance with the regime.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Swisdom said:

Don't know - we were not involved.

Already said I don't know what the delays are now.

And you are close to CACT, how happy are they with the plans and the regime
    Anything that impacts CACT's facility is run past our company since we are one of their Patrons and they trust our judgement. If we are not happy it does not happen. Even if I knew it is not my place to state their stance with the regime.

Yet I've heard that CACT doesn't know what is going on either and has been excluded from recent project meetings.
  • Options
    So. The Community Trust is heralded on the club website, yet they are excluded from project meetings that will impact on their activities, and any support they get from the parent club appears to be somewhere between scant and non-existent beyond lending the name of Charlton Athletic to the enterprise. Would I be correct in saying that Greenwich as a local authority offers more, and more substantial support to the Community Trust than the club does?
    There will be a football in business award on November 3rd at Arsenal, and tickets and tables for the event are available. One of the judges is incompetent businesswoman Katrien Miere.
    Should the football business awards know the truth on the ground regarding Charlton Athletic?