Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Therapeutics use exemptions (TUES)

13»

Comments

• Options
    IT'S NOT FOR ASTHMA IT'S FOR FUCKING HAY FEVER
  • Options
    In addition, it's disingenuous to say it isn't licensed in the UK - he brand might not be, but the active ingredient most certainly is
  • Options

But not to be taken if the person has Asthma, which apparently he does according to Team Sky.
  • Options

But not to be taken if the person has Asthma, which apparently he does according to Team Sky.
    That is NOT a one size fits all guidance!!!

There are literally HUNDREDS of side effects listed for EVERY medicine available both over the counter and prescription only. British Cycling have doctors who are far more familiar with the drugs they are prescribing than most GPs, let alone the general public. Most advice on taking or not taking a specific medicine is based on the lowest common denominator - eg if there is the slightest risk of a remote chance of a reaction to a drug it HAS to be listed because if it's not, drug companies get sued.
  • Options
    For instance - here are the actual clinical notes on prescription of Acetylcysteine (the 'real' name of the brand drug Fluimucil):

Warning and precautions
    Patients suffering from bronchial asthma must be strictly controlled during the therapy; should bronchospasm occur, the treatment must immediately be suspended. Caution should be taken in patient suffering from or with a history of peptic ulcer. The possible presence of a sulphurous odour does not indicate an alteration of the product but is a characteristic of the active ingredient contained in this preparation. It is preferable not to mix other drugs with the Fluimucil A solution.

So, basically, if there isn't a medical professional around (like there would be every step of the way when a pro team is racing the TdF) then it's probabl;y not a good idea to prescribe the above drug because clinical tests have suggested a possible link between the drug and asthma attacks. Not that it causes asthma attacks, or makes asthma attacks worse, but that there MAY be a link between the two
  • Options
    And before anyone accuses me of being a Sky fanboy, or a British Cycling fanboy for that matter, I can't stand the majority of Sky's riders, their ethos of strangling the life out of grand tours, Brailsford's 'buy the race' philosophy or the way that British Cycling handle their riders in general, both track and road. The only Sky riders I really like are Thomas and Stannard.

So this isn't the hysterical ranting of someone who doesn't like seeing 'his' riders pulled apart. It's genuine despair at people not understanding things because the shite they are fed by the media is either biased, inaccurate or hideously tainted by conflict of interest
  • Options

And before anyone accuses me of being a Sky fanboy, or a British Cycling fanboy for that matter, I can't stand the majority of Sky's riders, their ethos of strangling the life out of grand tours, Brailsford's 'buy the race' philosophy or the way that British Cycling handle their riders in general, both track and road. The only Sky riders I really like are Thomas and Stannard.

So this isn't the hysterical ranting of someone who doesn't like seeing 'his' riders pulled apart. It's genuine despair at people not understanding things because the shite they are fed by the media is either biased, inaccurate or hideously tainted by conflict of interest

Not a fan of Froome then?
  • Options
    "Sutton said that he was asked by former Team Sky doctor Dr Richard Freeman if he knew of anyone travelling to the Critérium du Dauphiné who could deliver a package, and recommended Simon Cope, a British Cycling coach.

Cope then delivered the package to the Team Sky bus at the Dauphiné, the contents of which Shane Sutton said he had no knowledge

Sutton also said that he had been told by Dr Freeman that “Brad’s been sorted” after the final stage of the Dauphiné.

However Sutton said that he did not know what Wiggins has been “sorted” for, but said that it could either be for a condition such as a chest infection that he was suffering from during the race, or that it could be to treat a long term condition."

Brailsford: Dr Freeman told me the product in the package was flumacil, for a nebuliser"

DB "All I know is what Dr Freeman told me. I wasn't aware of anything else that was in the package: I hope not!"

Even if Wiggins did nothing out of the ordinary, it's a pretty terrible organisation. Nothing to stop illegal substances or TUEs being taken. No screening of the drug or any proof its exactly what the doctor says it was.
  • Options
    Bikes are toys for children so not sure why people get their knickers in a twist over this. It's like getting uppity because someone at the European Water Pistol Championship is on antihistamines.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

A Football is a toy for children so not sure why people get their knickers in a twist over it

See what I did there...? ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2016

Fiiish said:

A Football is a toy for children so not sure why people get their knickers in a twist over it

Kids don't dribble a football down country lanes in groups of five and six wearing ridiculous outfits and holding up all the cars behind them.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Bikes are toys for children so not sure why people get their knickers in a twist over this. It's like getting uppity because someone at the European Water Pistol Championship is on antihistamines.

Tbf so are footballs.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Kids don't dribble a football down country lanes in groups of five and six wearing ridiculous outfits and holding up all the cars behind them.
    Dunno about that one... ;)

• Options
    Fiiish said:

Nah, never mind
  • Options

Not a fan of Froome then?
    Nah, he's a dull rider. Not a fan of riders who can't seem to animate a race despite being strong - it's why I never liked Indurain as a kid. Warmed to him a bit with the downhill attack this year, but would like to see him take hold of a race by attacking it, rather than just using his robots to strangle the life out of it
  • Options
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/former-sky-chief-admits-manipulating-drug-rules-wf05h33hq

Shane Sutton has admitted to manipulating the therapeutic use exemption (TUE) system for banned drugs in the past to give his riders an edge.

The comments by the former British Cycling and Team Sky head coach, which have been described as “very disappointing” by the president of the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada), will increase suspicions around the TUEs obtained by Sir Bradley Wiggins, Britain’s first Tour de France winner, before three of his biggest races.
  • Options
    There's a program about all this on Sunday night 9-00pm , should be interesting.
  • Options
    Sky team's stand regarding drug use in the team is looking a bit tarnished.

Ok TUEs are drugs that can be used for a valid medical condition but they seem to have been used sparingly and when certain competitions are upcoming.