Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Whisky

Comments

• Options
    EastStand said:

Jack Daniels, although called a whisky, is actually just over processed, artificially flavoured, well-marketed piss-water fit only for drinking drowned in post-mix or straight from a bottle, sat in the park, by people too young to know any better.

Soooo.... You rate it?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Went to one of this lot's evenings a couple of months ago: http://www.whiskysquad.com/. £18.00 for 6 different, excellent, quality whiskies. Night I went it was Indian and Taiwanese whiskies. Some of the Taiwanese are amazing. Matured in ex-Sherry oak casks - and the high humidity makes them extra smooth and mature quicker. Thought they would all be a bit so-so - didn't realise when I got a ticket that a Taiwanese Whisky was voted the best in the world! I think Waitrose sell the 'standard' Taiwan whisky but not the one that costs nearly £200.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Jack Daniels, although called a whisky, is actually just over processed, artificially flavoured, well-marketed piss-water fit only for drinking drowned in post-mix or straight from a bottle, sat in the park, by people too young to know any better.

Absolutely spot on mate.
    I would literally rather drink Sainsbury 's own whisky than the Devil's loss that is Jack Daniels
  • Options
    I remember going to whisky tasting where they brought out a Jack Daniels. Not the normal no. 10 one but similar. They had to hand round bottles of coke otherwise it was impossible to drink it was so minging. Worse was to come when we had Canadian Club. At least the Japanese whisky saved the day
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

I remember going to whisky tasting where they brought out a Jack Daniels. Not the normal no. 10 one but similar. They had to hand round bottles of coke otherwise it was impossible to drink it was so minging. Worse was to come when we had Canadian Club. At least the Japanese whisky saved the day

I don't actually mind CC, it makes a good Old Fashioned.

Just bought a bottle of Woodford Reserve off Amazon (£25!) - arrived at the office half an hour ago and I am really struggling not to drink it... Might go make a coffee... :wink:
  • Options
    EastStand said:

McBobbin said:

I don't actually mind CC, it makes a good Old Fashioned.

Just bought a bottle of Woodford Reserve off Amazon (£25!) - arrived at the office half an hour ago and I am really struggling not to drink it... Might go make a coffee... :wink:
    Tastes horrid neat... just looked up the recipe for an old fashioned, and I have some bitters at home... worth a try.

Would that be an "American" coffee then? Must say that sounds tempting. My boss used to have a Bruichladdich in his desk that we dipped into when necessary.

• Options
    What's a good intro Whiskey?

You know like the whiskey equivalent of cannabis...the entry level one...

Preferably this should be something that most would like when trying but isn't too expensive and doesn't leave you a frothing mess on the floor because it's been mixed with windscreen wash or diesel or dipped in crack.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Preferably this should be something that most would like when trying but isn't too expensive and doesn't leave you a frothing mess on the floor because it's been mixed with windscreen wash or diesel or dipped in crack.

I'd try some bourbons (Makers Mark, Woodford etc). For Scotch I'd go for anything unpeated (peat is what gives whisky that smokey taste, personally I hate it though most love it, but it has put some people off altogether).

I'd try:

Auchentoshan

Balvenine

or Old Pulteney
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I would stay away from the peaty ones until you get the taste. Anything from the Jura range is a good starting point.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/b/40/jura-single-malt-scotch-whisky
  • Options
    Cheers chaps
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Cheers chaps

Always remember Daz to drink at least half a bottle before posting on here.
    Makes interesting reading in the morning.
  • Options
    Highland Park is the ultimate all-rounder. It's what I buy people. Packed with flavour but not too overpowering
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I bought a bottle of that at the weekend as well.

Have developed a taste for bourbon in the last year or two as a bit of a contrast to a single malt.

Will be interested in comparing to it Maker's Mark and Bulleit etc.
  • Options
    I am at the moment into (don't laugh) Tesco Speyside Single Malt £25, and it is lovely.
  • Options
    Hot on the heels of the news that Port Ellen and Brora are being re-opened another iconic distillery is being revived. Kind of.

https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/latest-news/16403/rosebank-distillery-set-to-reopen/

I've got a couple of bottles from the old distillery, hope the new incarnation reaches the heights of the original.
  • Options
    As an uneducated non whisky drinker, how long can you keep a bottle after it has been opened?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Cheers chaps

uyuu
    Dazzler21 said:

Cheers chaps

Some supermarkets sell 35 cl or 20 cl bottles on some single malts
  • Options
    The Toucan -Soho Square , downstairs bar if you would like to try some quality Irish Whiskey
  • Options

As an uneducated non whisky drinker, how long can you keep a bottle after it has been opened?

Whisky doesn't mature in the bottle like wine does and I'm sure I've heard that it lasts about 10 years in an unopened bottle. Opened bottle guessing less time, but anecdotally I've rarely kept one more than a year after opening and never noticed a taste issue
  • Options
    sampling evening choosing the Whisky Exchange Whisky of the Year

https://billetto.co.uk/e/whisky-of-the-year-tasting-tickets-214584

Unfortunately I can't make it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

got a bottle of powers johns lane 12 year old on a recent trip to Ireland delicious

I've not come across this, only irish whiskies I've tried is Jamesons and redbreast.
    kilbeggan and tullamore dew are the closest distilleries to where the mrs is from in westmeath
  • Options
    Well known whisky writer and, as our lurkers will know, Misguided Millwall fan, Jim Murray has announced his list of top whiskies of the year.

https://thespiritsbusiness.com/2017/10/colonel-e-h-taylor-4-grain-12yo-is-worlds-best-whisky/

THE FULL WINNERS LIST
    2018 World Whisky of the Year
    Colonel E.H. Taylor 4 Grain Bourbon

Second Finest Whisky in the World
    Redbreast Aged 21 Years

Third Finest Whisky in the World
    Glen Grant Aged 18 Years

SCOTCH WHISKY
    Scotch Whisky of the Year
    Glen Grant Aged 18 Years Rare Edition
    Single Malt of the Year (Multiple Casks)
    Single Malt of the Year (Single Cask)
    Cadenhead’s Glendullan 20 Year Old
    Scotch Blend of the Year
    Compass Box The Double Single
    Scotch Grain of the Year
    Cambus Aged 40 Years
    Scotch Vatted Malt of the Year
    Compass Box 3 Year Old Deluxe

SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY
    No Age Statement (Multiple Casks)
    Ardbeg Corryvreckan
    10 Years & Under (Multiple Casks)
    Glen Grant Aged 10 Years
    10 Years & Under (Single Cask)
    Scotch Malt Whisky Society Tomatin Cask 11.32 8 Year Old
    11-15 Years (Multiple Casks)
    Gordon & MacPhail Ardmore 2002
    11-15 Years (Single Cask)
    That Boutique-y Co. Clynelish 15 Year Old
    16-21 Years (Multiple Casks)
    16-21 Years (Single Cask)
    The First Editions Ardmore Aged 20 Years
    22-27 Years (Multiple Casks)
    Sansibar Whisky Glen Moray 25 Years Old
    22-27 Years (Single Cask)
    Hunter Laing’s Old & Rare Auchentoshan 24 Year Old
    28-34 Years (Multiple Casks)
    Glen Castle Aged 28 Years
    28-34 Years (Single Cask)
    Old Particular Glenturret 28 Year Old
    35-40 Years (Multiple Casks)
    Brora Aged 38 Years
    35-40 Years (Single Cask)
    Xtra Old Particular Caol Ila 36 Year Old
    41 Years & Over (Multiple Casks)
    Gordon & MacPhail Glen Grant 1957

BLENDED SCOTCH
    No Age Statement (Standard)
    Ballantine’s Finest
    No Age Statement (Premium)
    Compass Box The Double Single
    5-12 Years
    Grant’s Aged 12 Years
    13-18 Years
    Ballantine’s Aged 17 Years
    19 – 25 Years
    Royal Salute 21 Years Old
    26 – 50 Years
    The Antiquary Aged 35 Years

IRISH WHISKEY
    Irish Whiskey of the Year
    Redbreast Aged 21 Years
    Irish Pot Still Whiskey of the Year
    Redbreast Aged 21 Years
    Irish Single Malt of the Year
    Bushmills 16 Year Old
    Irish Blend of the Year
    Bushmills Black Bush
    Irish Single Cask of the Year
    Dunville’s VR First Edition Aged 15 Years

AMERICAN WHISKEY
    Bourbon of the Year
    Colonel E.H. Taylor Four Grain
    Rye of the Year
    Thomas H. Handy Sazerac 126.2 Proof
    US Micro Whisky of the Year
    Balcone’s Texas Blue Corn Batch BCB 16-1
    US Micro Whisky of the Year (Runner Up)
    291 E Colorado Aged 333 Days Bourbon
    No Age Statement (Multiple Barrels)
    George T. Stagg 144.1 Proof
    9 Years & Under
    Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection Organic 6 Grain Whisky
    10 Years & Over (Multiple Barrels)
    Colonel E.H. Taylor Four Grain

RYE
    No Age Statement
    Thomas H. Handy Sazerac 126.2 Proof
    Up to 10 Years
    Pikesville 110 Proof
    11 Years & Over
    Sazerac 18 Years Old

WHEAT
    Wheat Whiskey of the Year
    Bernheim Original
    CANADIAN WHISKY

Canadian Whisky of the Year
    Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye
    JAPANESE WHISKY

Japanese Whisky of the Year
    Nikka Coffey Malt Whisky
    Single Malt of the Year (Multiple Barrels)
    Nikka Coffey Malt Whisky
    EUROPEAN WHISKY

European Whisky of the Year (Multiple)
    Penderyn Bryn Terfel (Wales)
    European Whisky of the Year (Single)
    The Norfolk Parched (England)
    WORLD WHISKY

Asian Whisky of the Year
    Paul John Kanya (India)
    Southern Hemisphere Whisky of the Year
    Limeburner’s Dark Winter (Australia)
  • Options
    Whisky doesn't mature in the bottle like wine does and I'm sure I've heard that it lasts about 10 years in an unopened bottle. Opened bottle guessing less time, but anecdotally I've rarely kept one more than a year after opening and never noticed a taste issue

Merci McBobbin. I live and learn!
  • Options
    Anyone London based who wants to try out Whisky tasting should look at this: http://www.whiskysquad.com/. I've only been to one but it was great fun. Price varies depending on the whiskies on offer. Normally get a lecture on the whiskies from very knowledgeable people and six good sized measures that you have to drink(!) as you only get one glass to use for all the tastings...
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Highland Park is the ultimate all-rounder. It's what I buy people. Packed with flavour but not too overpowering

On offer for £25 in Morrisons at the moment.
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Anyone London based who wants to try out Whisky tasting should look at this: http://www.whiskysquad.com/. I've only been to one but it was great fun. Price varies depending on the whiskies on offer. Normally get a lecture on the whiskies from very knowledgeable people and six good sized measures that you have to drink(!) as you only get one glass to use for all the tastings...

Sounds like something for @Dazzler21
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    cafc-west said:

Surely that'd mess with the flavours?

Definitely worth considering though!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

cafc-west said:

Surely that'd mess with the flavours?

Definitely worth considering though!
    True! They provide water in jugs to give your glass a rinse - but after a few rounds it all starts to blur a bit...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Glenmorangie is a popular drink of choice for some Scots acquaintances of mine when up at the bar, and they want value for money the tight bastards.
  • Options
    Had some whiskey on Saturday night... I was already well on my way, but it tasted like I imagine petrol does, had it on ice as the room was very warm... Thought I was going to vomit.

I genuinely can't remember the brand but it was awful. It began with a P... so won't trust any beginning with a P again.

Definitely turned me off drinking it again that night.