Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next England Manager

Have a horrible feeling Southgate will get it permanently after a couple of wins in an easy qualifying group.

If not, is Steve Bruce the only candidate that falls in the bracket of:

- Would actually take it (unlike Howe, for example).
- Doesn't make me cringe at the thought (Pardew, Hoddle etc).

Klinsmann might fall in that bracket but he'd be a poor choice I think.

Piss poor choices really!

Comments

• Options
    Klinnsman is a pretty dreadful coach. He might do alright with a tactician as his number two, as he did with Lowe in 2006, but he's been very poor with the States even though it's an admittedly average side. Also, he likes living in California and he thinks he can revolutionize the game in the States so I can't really see him taking it. Him as the figure head and Pako Ayestaran as the number two/tactician might work though...
  • Options
    Russell Slade .. please please please
  • Options
    You've read my mind NLN, Southgate has been given 4 games right?

This reaks of a Karel Fraeye "interim" appointment..
  • Options
    Arsene...
  • Options
    Mike Bailey
  • Options
    Tony Pulis. We need a manager used to dealing with average premier league players.
  • Options
    Someone who won't make Rooney Captain would be a refreshing start.

Eddie Howe would be my choice, doesn't come with any baggage and I don't think he will be swayed by reputation of big time charlies of the Premier. Might even stumble on some hidden talent from unfashionable clubs to put some backbone in the England team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    eddie howe would be great but at 38 if he took the job it didnt go to plan and he was horrendous would somewhat taint his cv at quite a young age.
  • Options

Eddie Howe would be my choice, doesn't come with any baggage and I don't think he will be swayed by reputation of big time charlies of the Premier. Might even stumble on some hidden talent from unfashionable clubs to put some backbone in the England team.

This.....
  • Options
    Sol Campbell will no doubt throw his name into the ring for the job but then will brand everyone racist when he doesnt even get an interview.

Saw someone on FB touting a 'dream team' of Shearer and Keown or Adams. As much as that sounds like the fella that dreamt that up had just spent the weekend in Amsterdam, that actually appeals to me.
  • Options

I remember Eddie Howe being my first choice to take over our job bback in 2011 after Parky left and he nearly got it. But what a man who did get it in the end. But Eddie has carried on doing wonders at AFCB and he does like to play a decent brand of football. And like you say will probably find someone no one else would think of but go on to do a job for England and really cherrish every moment they have those three lions on.
  • Options
    Give it to a rookie - Howe , Chris Powell etc
  • Options
    Steve Bruce would be the safe choice, but I'd love to see Eddie Howe get it. But this is the FA and as we know they show FA balls when it comes to taking a chance on a young untested manager.
  • Options
    Howe ideally, give him time, and the ability to change the philosophy he'll do a decent job, unless they want to pay for Pep
  • Options
    I hate the whole: The England Manager needs to be experienced, we cant give it to someone inexperienced

When why the hell not... We've had experienced manager after experienced manager who has tried to take charge and has utterly failed. Its no different to trying to build a wall a certain way seeing it instantly collapse, then constantly re-building the wall the EXACT same way with the EXACT same results hoping one day you'll be proven right... Eventually a new approach has to be tried!!
  • Options
    The problem we have in this country is that the English Premiership players are all big-headed millionaires, so you can't put in a manager who has only managed a lower league side, for example, or whose playing career highlight was being in a side which got promoted to the Championship. I'm not sure how we address this.

Yep, I'm blaming the players. :-)
  • Options

I hate the whole: The England Manager needs to be experienced, we cant give it to someone inexperienced

When why the hell not... We've had experienced manager after experienced manager who has tried to take charge and has utterly failed. Its no different to trying to build a wall a certain way seeing it instantly collapse, then constantly re-building the wall the EXACT same way with the EXACT same results hoping one day you'll be proven right... Eventually a new approach has to be tried!!

You don't need to be Einstein to spot the flaw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saga Lout said:

The problem we have in this country is that the English Premiership players are all big-headed millionaires, so you can't put in a manager who has only managed a lower league side, for example, or whose playing career highlight was being in a side which got promoted to the Championship. I'm not sure how we address this.

Yep, I'm blaming the players. :-)

Yet all the time the FA pander to the millionaires we're going to be stuck in a rut.

Despite being young I dont think either Howe or Dyche are pushovers and reckon that if Rooney / Hart (two random examples) tried to push them around I dont think they'd get anywhere... the problem is the FA would need to grow a pair themselves a back the young manager whilst the press would need to get off their own high horse and ignore the inexperience as reckon they'd take the appointment with more arrogance than any of the millionaires
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Supporting England and Charlton.

What a time to be alive!

You take the rough with the smooth. Yet watching both is like wiping your arse with a Brillo pad.
  • Options
    Do we even need an England manager? We could just have an online vote before each international to pick the squad, team and tactics. Or even a lottery before every game where a random fan gets put in charge for 90 minutes. It's probably something that Roland has in mind for us sometime soon.
  • Options

Do we even need an England manager? We could just have an online vote before each international to pick the squad, team and tactics. Or even a lottery before every game where a random fan gets put in charge for 90 minutes. It's probably something that Roland has in mind for us sometime soon.

Just put the Sunday Supplement in charge
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Howe ideally, give him time, and the ability to change the philosophy he'll do a decent job, unless they want to pay for Pep

Pep? I take if you mean Peppa Pig?, because there is no way Guardiola would leave man city to manage England.
  • Options
    when is Southgate meant to announce his squad?

WGS has announced his this morning.
  • Options
    How many potential england managers are going to be stitched up by the Telegraph. Maybe having a bet could be risky at this stage!
  • Options
    What is Sven up to these days?