Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next England Manager

2»

Comments

• Options

I hate the whole: The England Manager needs to be experienced, we cant give it to someone inexperienced

When why the hell not... We've had experienced manager after experienced manager who has tried to take charge and has utterly failed. Its no different to trying to build a wall a certain way seeing it instantly collapse, then constantly re-building the wall the EXACT same way with the EXACT same results hoping one day you'll be proven right... Eventually a new approach has to be tried!!

Name names though. Like, ideally they should have managed or coached before. Someone like Paul Clement who has been an assistant coach at various successful clubs would be a great shout. But let's be honest, we've scraped through the bottom of the barrel and we're craping the ground beneath it now. There one bright, young, insightful English manager going at the moment in Eddie Howe. It's not so much that I don't think he should get it because he's inexperienced, it's more because I'm not convinced his style is suited to international football.

The only other person who springs to mind is Gary Monk, who I think incredibly highly of, and who I think did quite well with Swansea. But beyond that, in terms of viable candidates, Englishmen who have coached or managed, who are you left with?

And before we get into the whole "Englishmen don't get a chance," if they want a chance they can move abroad and hone their skills and god forbid learn a new language and a new approach to football. But none of the former Premier players ever will because 1) foreign teams don't pay as much and 2) I'm not convinced that many, if any of them have any interest in learning anything.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

What is Sven up to these days?

He's managing a Chinese club now. He's been here for a couple of years.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

He's managing a Chinese club now. He's been here for a couple of years.
    I'd have him back in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I hate the whole: The England Manager needs to be experienced, we cant give it to someone inexperienced

When why the hell not... We've had experienced manager after experienced manager who has tried to take charge and has utterly failed. Its no different to trying to build a wall a certain way seeing it instantly collapse, then constantly re-building the wall the EXACT same way with the EXACT same results hoping one day you'll be proven right... Eventually a new approach has to be tried!!

Name names though. Like, ideally they should have managed or coached before. Someone like Paul Clement who has been an assistant coach at various successful clubs would be a great shout. But let's be honest, we've scraped through the bottom of the barrel and we're craping the ground beneath it now. There one bright, young, insightful English manager going at the moment in Eddie Howe. It's not so much that I don't think he should get it because he's inexperienced, it's more because I'm not convinced his style is suited to international football.

The only other person who springs to mind is Gary Monk, who I think incredibly highly of, and who I think did quite well with Swansea. But beyond that, in terms of viable candidates, Englishmen who have coached or managed, who are you left with?

And before we get into the whole "Englishmen don't get a chance," if they want a chance they can move abroad and hone their skills and god forbid learn a new language and a new approach to football. But none of the former Premier players ever will because 1) foreign teams don't pay as much and 2) I'm not convinced that many, if any of them have any interest in learning anything.
    For me it would be Eddie Howe or Sean Dyche as the next England Manager... Said it before but I think someone who is used to having to pick players up after disappointment (Its all the England players are used to) would be ideal.

Garry Monk am not too sure, he's having to rebuild his reputation a bit after the knee jerk sacking @ Swansea and whilst I too am a fan of Paul Clement (Dont understand why Derby got rid) he turned down the chance to be part of the England setup over the Summer as Sam Allardyce wanted him to work part-time with England as well as with Bayern.

Agreed though I think too many of them have little interest in ever learning anything
  • Options

Rothko said:

Howe ideally, give him time, and the ability to change the philosophy he'll do a decent job, unless they want to pay for Pep

Pep? I take if you mean Peppa Pig?, because there is no way Guardiola would leave man city to manage England.
    Pep's people approached the FA before Hodgson was hired, but they missed the boat there.
  • Options
    I see it being offered to Southgate after he ends up getting 4 wins playing some nice exciting football then upon getting a 3 year contract he goes back to the England we know and love to hate. Even if Southgate doesn't get appointed all the other names mentioned really aren't going to excite or change the regime enough. I would if I had to choose pick Howe assisted by a Hoddle though doubt very much that would happen. For me we should look at a Ranieri if he is willing to leave Leicester at the end of the season. But I won't be that affected by the dis-appointment as long as it is not the two swear words that is Alan Pardew
  • Options
    pettgra said:

How many potential england managers are going to be stitched up by the Telegraph. Maybe having a bet could be risky at this stage!

If the managers stop giving it the Johnny big balls to all and sundry the likes of the Telegraph would either have to invent stories, (which they could be held accountable for), or go back to reporting the important stuff.
    Certain managers and players really do make it easy for papers and media in general
  • Options
    You are all missing the grand scheme here.
    Despite withdrawing from the election of a League One representative to the EFL board, Katrien Meire is on the FA council (I think that's what it is called) because she was elected without a ballot to one of the six places available for the league. I believe the Fleetwood guy is also there, and four places are vacant.
    Katriens plan is to get on to the international committee straight away, and then use her magic powers to get Thomas Driesen the gig as the next England Manager. Her main pitch will be that recent managers have has boring hair, whereas Thomas will be easily recognisable when the cameras scan the touchline.
  • Options
    We'll win the next 3 qualifiers cause we're in an easy group & Southgate will get the job full time. Personally, I'd wait till the end of the season & give it to Wenger but that won't happen
  • Options
    How many of you think that the people on the FA are all honest and don't except gifts ( bungs) .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Arsene Wenger will be the next manager
  • Options
    Welly said:

How many of you think that the people on the FA are all honest and don't except gifts ( bungs) .

one of them had to give back a watch he was given in rio
  • Options

Welly said:

one of them had to give back a watch he was given in rio
    Didnt he say no when asked to return it?
  • Options
    @ForeverAddickted If I remember correctly, and that's a big if, I think it's that Bayern wouldn't let Clement join the England set-up, not that he didn't want to join.

• Options
    SDAddick said:

@ForeverAddickted If I remember correctly, and that's a big if, I think it's that Bayern wouldn't let Clement join the England set-up, not that he didn't want to join.

Think it was a bit of both actually... Dont think Clement was keen but didnt matter as Bayern wouldnt let him
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Shagging (same as normal)

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Ralf Rangnick has tonight been strongly linked with the job.

No. Me neither!
  • Options
    All we need now is for the Sweaties to scuff a lucky one past Head n Shoulder guy when we meet them and beat us...

Oh fucking joy!
  • Options
    Hasselbaink please
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I heard Arsend has a clause that can trigger review without the sweet FA having to pay out severance fees which is available in January.

4 games for Southgate will take us to there and see whether we can take the Arsene out of Arsenal.
  • Options

Ralf Rangnick has tonight been strongly linked with the job.

No. Me neither!

That would be odd given he's Director of Football at RB Leipzig
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I don't think it will be

Bruce
    Pardew
    Pullis
    Rednap
    Giggs
    Hughes
    Moyes
    Black

Dunno why just can't see it

• Options
    If they play their cards right, then Wenger would be achievable for the FA. At 67 he knows that time is running out for him, and the chance to manage a major nation (If we can still call ourselves that) at a World Cup, would be very hard to turn down.

If you look at his contemporaries in management (Ferguson, Cappelo, Conte, Hiddink etc), they have all managed at a major tournament, and you can't help wondering if that wouldn't irk him just a little?

It's hard to see him signing another deal at Arsenal, and you can pretty much rule out him managing another PL club. There could be an agreement with the FA that Southgate (or Howe) works as his assistant, and will take over after EURO 18.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Shagging (same as normal)

Well,then he moved to the right place!! ;-)