Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Protest for a fiver- v Rochdale. 01/10/16

Comments

• Options
    HandG said:

Christ, this is depressing. Could everyone staying away please forget their morals and principles and just come back? Pretty please. Pretty pretty please.

I was persuaded by my son to renew and last night, which was one of the most depressing evenings of my Charlton supporting 30+ years (and there have been plenty!), reminded me of a reserve game with everyone sat in silence with little interest in proceedings; some serious protesting would at least bring some energy back to the Valley and maybe even galvanise the team who are currently terrible.

Think you are missing the point! It is all about new owners not your fun. Don't go. By going you are part of the problem unless you are there to protest.
  • Options
    vff said:

msomerton said:

Those who believe that the reduction in ticket income will influence RD are mistaken. I believe for him it is no longer about making money from the club but a point of principle. he has dug his heels in and will stay no matter what the losses, which is why no attending games is futile. The lost revenue of 1-1/2 million now means nothing to him.
    Whereas turning up and protesting inside the ground week after week might have made a difference, now it is to late.

I think you undersestimate how miserly Duchatelet is with his money. He hates losses. His business model at Charlton is losing money but he still expects it to stand alone. It is arrogant delusional and has some weird selective thinking. He hires inept people, supports them to make crap decisions on top of his own misdirections and expects the business to stand alone despite the failure being the result of his terrible strategy.

Duchatelet has a philosophy for football that he thinks is right. If it fails it is because of poor implementation by employees, the resistance of the football business generally and Charlton supporters in particular, in not accepting his obvious Alan Turing size genius intellect. There is a worry that he may test his idea to destruction, or by some punitive revenge but Duchatelet did not become rich by not being pragmatic, when it comes to money & business, where it is needed.

Duchatelet will not like the haemorrhaging of money, (even if he is receiving a notional 3% interest on the debt). Duchatelet will sell, he can blame brexit, the resistance of the British football establishment and supporters, the madness of the British football business. Duchatelet will sell, it is inevitable. Just don't expect him to signal it, in advance. My guess is that it will be sooner rather than later.
    This feels right to me. He may be stubborn and his ideas about football may be half arsed but he is not stupid where his money is concerned. If he continues to waste money on Charlton and he finds the alternative money making avenues to build luxury hotels and apoartments are blocked he will give it up as a bad job, blame peculiarly British intransigence or something and he will get rid.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Could be a great game to protest outside the ground on, those coming 'just for a cheap game' will also see how much of a shit our situation is.

I recommend the B&W protest shirts coming out in force.

DO NOT BUY TICKETS, DO NOT GO TO THE GAME - JUST PROTEST

During the game, all nip off to the local pubs (I'm sure they won't mind), then at FT return and protest some more.

I'll even join in... which is rare being a near 100 mile round trip.
  • Options
    Protest outside, don't buy tickets as it'll be spun as a success for the regime.
  • Options
    No leadership. Basically CARD should now just go for it. Call us all out Saturday for a stop the game by any means protest.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

HandG said:

Christ, this is depressing. Could everyone staying away please forget their morals and principles and just come back? Pretty please. Pretty pretty please.

I was persuaded by my son to renew and last night, which was one of the most depressing evenings of my Charlton supporting 30+ years (and there have been plenty!), reminded me of a reserve game with everyone sat in silence with little interest in proceedings; some serious protesting would at least bring some energy back to the Valley and maybe even galvanise the team who are currently terrible.

Think you are missing the point! It is all about new owners not your fun. Don't go. By going you are part of the problem unless you are there to protest.
    I'm not missing the point at all-I fully understand that people are convinced that starving Roland et al of funds is the only way to get rid. But do we actually know this is definitely going to work? The one thing that I've learnt about Roland during this wretched period is that nothing he does makes any sense. And his comments last week about Charlton only being 1.5% of his interests make me even less convinced that it will make a difference.

My reasons for potentially staying away are the constant disappointing performances on and off the pitch and, in the event that things did turn around on the playing side, not being able to enjoy that success whilst we had a board with ambition which does not match mine. As I mentioned, my son played a part in getting us back to the Valley this term and here we are.

You, like others on here, are very militant in your views @kentred2 and I respect your opinion but that doesn't mean I share it. Despite these most unfortunate circumstances, supporting Charlton is a very personal thing and I'll stop going when I (or my son!) decide it's the right thing to do. Hopefully we never get to that point.....

• Options
    Surely the best time for an outside the ground protest would be a normal game (not footie for a fiver) as the protests would be far more noticeable.

That is there would be far more noise outside rather than in the ground......
  • Options
    card should say there's gonna be an announcement at midday Saturday of what the protest will be.
    Even if there isn't one, the threat will mean they will probably have extra bully blue coat boys and the hoardings on standby, which will be an additional expense.
  • Options
    I don't beleive the 1.5% comment at all. It may be there because of player sales but if we stay down this year there is little left to sell (Lookman has hardly set League 1 alight so far) and the revenue having dropped and continuing to do so will see much more than 1.5%. Even IFos just increased to 3-4% I don't see RD suffering that year after year after year onn a zombie, worthless investment. He will be gone and will end up giving the club away as it will have become worthless, probably on a similar deal to RM's all those years ago.

Question is, will the crowds come back then and it just depends how many years it takes to happen IMO and who takes us on.

As for Rochdale, I won't be going. Done one game this season on a free ticket. Club have had nothing from me, last year they had over £1K from me by this point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CARD don't have to do any kind of rabble rousing because all the angst is being created by the regime themselves.
    The fresh start has turned out to be the same old crap at a lower level.
    If there is now a desire to up the protests it will happen because enough of an organic groundswell will make them happen again.
    We had the Woolwich meeting, and then the campaign last season as almost a natural reaction to events, the events are now happening with no effort from protestors, and I expect there will be another reaction pretty soon.
  • Options
    Seth makes a decent point. The reason why Charlton are playing badly in league one and are struggling is the process of the regime and their defective strategy. That is what laying Charlton low. They are the ones that have left the team half finished with a hole in the middle of the centre midfield of the team (with a not very good manager).

Those that criticise CARD or feel that the supporters are to blame in some way should take note of that. The team will continue to struggle as Duchatelet stategy and rationales are defective. The team will continue to be left short of whats required, whatever division Charlton finds itself in. If Charlton fell to League 2, the same scenarios would likely play themselves in the lower division.

Duchatelet's employees are inept and only making things worse at a rate of knots. Its impressive how badly they are doing and how low they are bringing the club so quickly.
  • Options
    For the bargain cost of £5 each, we can abuse the SMT and owner, in their "home". We can disrupt the game to whatever extent we feel appropriate.

We can remind/educate those who are not protesting what is really going on.

We can focus the mainstream media's attention on us again (match disruptions get more national surely?).

We can also remind the players and current season ticket holders what this club could really be like if we were all together.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Stig said:

I'd rather see an empty ground. Bollocks to them and their fiver scheme. I won't be going along pretending everything is normal. If there are demonstrations planned, I'd be tempted to do a 100mile round trip to join in before and/or after, but I don't want the regime to have a penny of my money.

yup, I won't be going to this
    Me neither, I would not go if they paid me a fiver.

#notapennymore
  • Options
    Carter said:

. All the while people renew, spend money, and go on about tactics, players and managers you are missing the point. Anyone doing that, to me, will be sated by some decent results.

It isn't that black and white though. I've renewed my season ticket and will continue to follow the team home and away because it is a huge part of my life that I don't want to be ending just yet, albeit on a temporary basis. And, as I mentioned earlier I don't buy into the financial argument so don't necessarily think that a £175 season ticket purchase is a huge deal. What I do see however, good results or bad, is that I want this lot out of our club for all the reasons that have gone before.
    Carter said:

You've (those against protesting and boycotting) got what you wanted. We ain't there, we ain't singing nasty songs, we aren't being a nuisance. If that's improved your experience and match day then good luck and I'm happy for you

You also seem to imply (apologies if I misinterpreted) that all those who have renewed and are attending games are anti protest which is simply not true.
  • Options
    Kidnapping your dad would also cause headaches.
  • Options
    Think everyone should go and get the game abandoned, not even delayed. Would send more of a message
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Think everyone should go and get the game abandoned, not even delayed. Would send more of a message

What..another pitch invasion, the last one went well!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    HandG said:

I'm just as gutted as the next man and was at as many protests as I could attend last season so don't think there's anything hypocritical about my plea above as there may have been if I was pro Regime.

To clarify, my morals and principles comment was tongue in cheek and I do understand completely people staying away. In fact a part of me wishes I had stuck to mine and left the home games alone this season but I just couldn't do it particularly as my boy wanted to get back down there.

What I would say though to those staying away is that I wouldn't be banking on coming back-you will soon slip into other habits at the weekends and, if he does sell up in three, four or 10 years time your passion for Charlton will be long gone and you'll potentially be lost for good. Although I appreciate the blame for that lies with that Belgian tosser, at the moment the prospect of that for me is even more depressing although too many more evenings like last night make it seem an inevitability.

Just do the aways amigo, you stay in touch.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Abandoned is good.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

What's the plan then?
  • Options

CAFCsayer said:

Actually it did? Weren't you there at the end of the season?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

But, to those worrying about the long-term support of gone-away fans, I'll say this...

When the rumours of RD selling up start (and I have no reason to believe that might be soon), the enthusiasm will return. When those rumours gather pace, the wide-spread excitement will return. And when, finally, he hands back control of the club to proper, Charlton people, the now-latent passion for Charlton will be unbottled.

The first game after these idiots have gone will sell out.

That's speaking for yourself Chizz but what if that's in five years time? You really think everyone and more will come back? Even if we're struggling in League two? I'm not so sure......
  • Options
    Chizz said:

When RD has sold up, when KM has been dismissed and when Charlton have people running the club who have the best interests of Charlton at heart, I'll be back.

But now that the soul of the club has been removed, the excitement has vanished and the interest is almost non-existent, there's nothing that will get me back to the Valley while these dangerous imbeciles are still in control.

But, to those worrying about the long-term support of gone-away fans, I'll say this...

When the rumours of RD selling up start (and I have no reason to believe that might be soon), the enthusiasm will return. When those rumours gather pace, the wide-spread excitement will return. And when, finally, he hands back control of the club to proper, Charlton people, the now-latent passion for Charlton will be unbottled.

The first game after these idiots have gone will sell out.

Until then? Football for a fiver? Fuck off. Unique match day experience? Fuck off. Roland, Katrien, Tony and all your pathetic apologists? Fuck off. Soon.

And if it's not soon? If it's few years some will get out of the habit and maybe never return.
  • Options

CAFCsayer said:

Not for the sofa it didn't
  • Options
    Would rather give £10 to support the Belgium 20 in another adventure in that bastards homeland