Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ba and Tex need to get back in this team.

Comments

• SDAddick said:

He may have more natural ability than Crofts and Foley, but to paraphrase Chris Rock - Even if Ba had a pocket full of shits, he still wouldn't give single one.

So, do you go for A) the boring, mediocre, but fairly committed journeyman, or B ) a potentially very able player that dawdles about with his head in the clouds and couldn't give a shit.

That, my friends, sums up our midfield options.

Crofts and Foley have loads of passion and will fight for the shirt, how's that working out for us then?

If Ba dawdles about, take him off and fine him. Want him to stop doing that? COACH IT OUT OF HIM. He has far more technical footballing ability than any of our other options. No one is saying he's perfect, but what we have simply doesn't cut it.

I'm sure as the season wears on and JJ picks up his traditional hamstring injury that keeps him out a couple months, and Crofts looks knackered Slade is going to start with the excuses that we didn't get enough in in the summer. But if he is still freezing Ba out then I will have no sympathy. Furthermore, this is a man who FOUGHT to get Crofts and Foley.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is my problem with the old school "British Manager." He has to "get his players in." In most of the rest of the world the job of "manager" is actually head coach whose job it is to coach the players. And while I can't blame Slade for not wanting some of the players we had or some of the network recommendations, the fact that he can't be bothered with the two players left on our books who he didn't want seems absurd to me, let alone the fact that Tex was one of our best players down the stretch last year.
    To be clear, I was saying neither option was ideal. Our midfield is completely pedestrian and devoid of creativity at the moment - just not sure Ba wandering aimlessly about will solve the problem.

Poyet on a free?
  • edited September 2016
    I really don't think that Ba is any good, and excluding the Oldham game in which he was woeful - Crofts has been decent. We need to try something, and maybe Ba's "enthusiasm" is what we need in midfield alongside Crofts. I'm very doubtful, but it's a shot to nothing given how Jacko, Ulvestad and Foley have been playing lately.

Probably unsurprisingly, we have a massive Jordan Cousins-shaped hole (move on!) in the centre of our midfield, doubly so because we didn't replace him with a similar type of player, let alone similar quality.
  • If they're supposedly not committed then fair enough, but surely that creates a case for the player not fulfilling the terms of his contract and they can be fined or released without a pay off.

• The division is full of Jordan Cousins type players, athletic box to box midfielders, as it's the typical British midfielder. Every other club has them, so I'm baffled why Slade wasn't able to bring one in, and instead we sign Foley (an ageing right back) as midfield cover.

And for everyone who say finances, that's rubbish. Our last few opponents will have far smaller budgets than we have.

Imagine the Bradley Pritchard from 4 years ago in our team now, energetic, enthusiastic
  • Ba? He is terrible. despite being told he could find a new club, not one came in for him
  • dickplumb said:

I am afraid Ba and Texeira will not be seen in first team action again. Will be offloaded in January if buyers can be found.

Regardless of whether or not they would or wouldn't actually improve us, I have never understood why clubs (an it is not just us) would arbitrarily freeze out players like this, unless they are being disruptive to team spirit.

Especially now with the no emergency loans situation, can a club like ours really claim to have such a wealth of resources that we can absolutely guarantee we won't need these players? If we do end up having to use them, why make them so disillusioned that they likely won't play to 100% when called upon.

These two should surely, at least, be given a chance to impress in maybe the EFL cup or something.
    That all makes sense but there might to other factors

Does either player get paid more when they play for the first team or get a lump sum after a number of games?

And if he plays them and they do well it them becomes harder to drop them or sell them. If they feel happy, are playing and getting paid the incentive for them to take a lesser deal with another club (it won't be a bigger deal or they would have gone already) is greatly reduced.

Personally, I'd play Tex but not Ba but Slade disagrees.

But how long will Slade be around and how many more games can we go without a win until picking one or both becomes a more attractive option?
  • The division is full of Jordan Cousins type players, athletic box to box midfielders, as it's the typical British midfielder. Every other club has them, so I'm baffled why Slade wasn't able to bring one in, and instead we sign Foley (an ageing right back) as midfield cover.

And for everyone who say finances, that's rubbish. Our last few opponents will have far smaller budgets than we have.

Imagine the Bradley Pritchard from 4 years ago in our team now, energetic, enthusiastic

He wanted Thompson who from what I've seen is that type of player. In this case he was too patient, probably should have found an alternative.
  • Ulvestad has something about him and Crofts is a decent defensive shield. They should work ok together and for, say, most of the Wimbledon game did so. But against Oldham they were in a team with no width and no diversity of movement up front, so they were utterly restricted in what they could do. I feel like the last one with any faith in Crofts - it's important to not lump him in with the hopelessly out-of-position Foley just yet
  • I'm not writing off Crofts either. I don't think it helps any of them playing so many similar midfielders together, neither does picking such a defensive line up.

Pretty sure Foley was known as a player that could play in midfield, I don't think it's new to him. He shouldn't be needed in midfield as often as he has been though. It's partly down to Slade not being able to get Thompson and to an extent Henry in.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2016
    dickplumb said:

I am afraid Ba and Texeira will not be seen in first team action again. Will be offloaded have their contracts paid up in January so they can find another club if buyers can be found.

corrected for you ;-)

• Scoham said:

The division is full of Jordan Cousins type players, athletic box to box midfielders, as it's the typical British midfielder. Every other club has them, so I'm baffled why Slade wasn't able to bring one in, and instead we sign Foley (an ageing right back) as midfield cover.

He wanted Thompson who from what I've seen is that type of player. In this case he was too patient, probably should have found an alternative.
    Why not ask Pritchard to come out of retirement he is only 30 is he not. Seems a waste a player who started so late finishing so young
  • I'm not sure what went wrong with Pritchard - He was definitely strong at this level. His game relied on prodicious energy so maybe a long standing injury was the issue.
  • Scoham said:

I'm not writing off Crofts either. I don't think it helps any of them playing so many similar midfielders together, neither does picking such a defensive line up.

Pretty sure Foley was known as a player that could play in midfield, I don't think it's new to him. He shouldn't be needed in midfield as often as he has been though. It's partly down to Slade not being able to get Thompson and to an extent Henry in.

If you're going to be in charge of a team's transfers, you need to have more than 1-2 targets. We chased Thompson for weeks. Ulvestad seems to be the closest we got to Thompson, but I'd argue that in addition to either of those types of players we need someone who can play centrally, pass the ball, and create things.
  • edited September 2016
    I think Ulvestad may still be able to fulfil that role, but it might help if he had a bit more energy playing beside him.
  • Ba has made 25 appearances, perhaps his contract has a cause in it?
    Pay rise or extension?
  • SDAddick said:

He may have more natural ability than Crofts and Foley, but to paraphrase Chris Rock - Even if Ba had a pocket full of shits, he still wouldn't give single one.

So, do you go for A) the boring, mediocre, but fairly committed journeyman, or B ) a potentially very able player that dawdles about with his head in the clouds and couldn't give a shit.

Crofts and Foley have loads of passion and will fight for the shirt, how's that working out for us then?

If Ba dawdles about, take him off and fine him. Want him to stop doing that? COACH IT OUT OF HIM. He has far more technical footballing ability than any of our other options. No one is saying he's perfect, but what we have simply doesn't cut it.

I'm sure as the season wears on and JJ picks up his traditional hamstring injury that keeps him out a couple months, and Crofts looks knackered Slade is going to start with the excuses that we didn't get enough in in the summer. But if he is still freezing Ba out then I will have no sympathy. Furthermore, this is a man who FOUGHT to get Crofts and Foley.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is my problem with the old school "British Manager." He has to "get his players in." In most of the rest of the world the job of "manager" is actually head coach whose job it is to coach the players. And while I can't blame Slade for not wanting some of the players we had or some of the network recommendations, the fact that he can't be bothered with the two players left on our books who he didn't want seems absurd to me, let alone the fact that Tex was one of our best players down the stretch last year.
    To be clear, I was saying neither option was ideal. Our midfield is completely pedestrian and devoid of creativity at the moment - just not sure Ba wandering aimlessly about will solve the problem.

Poyet on a free?
    I think if he plays anywhere near his potential he'd be an upgrade on Crofts, particularly in terms of his ability to start attacks from the back of midfield at this level. I doubt, for many reasons, that he would come back though.
  • Leuth said:

Ulvestad has something about him and Crofts is a decent defensive shield. They should work ok together and for, say, most of the Wimbledon game did so. But against Oldham they were in a team with no width and no diversity of movement up front, so they were utterly restricted in what they could do. I feel like the last one with any faith in Crofts - it's important to not lump him in with the hopelessly out-of-position Foley just yet

Crofts, Foley, Jackson, Ulvestad. Individually these players are all ok, but they are way too similar to keep playing at the same time.

I like one water-carrier and one creative player in the middle. Leicester showed it can be done with two water-carriers centrally... we are playing three at once in every game, sometimes four. We have no creativity in central midfield at all, and for some reason Slade insists on exacerbating the problem by also refusing to setup with two attacking wide players.
  • Doesn't a water carrier have to have a lot of energy?
  • edited September 2016
    Ba wants his contact pay out so he does not care about charlton and in my eyes he can sod off the unless git
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2016

Back wants he contact pay out so he does not care about charlton and in my eyes he can sod off the unless git

If this is the case then I agree with yours and @Bedsaddick sentiments. Do one!
  • 1StevieG said:

Back wants he contact pay out so he does not care about charlton and in my eyes he can sod off the unless git

If this is the case then I agree with yours and @Bedsaddick sentiments. Do one!
    It is the case creepy Cawley posted it.

• Surely he should be fined every week for unprofessional behavior then and we should be paying him nothing...?
  • I wouldn't have Tex in over Bauer and Pearce, personally. Potentially over Pearce I suppose but I don't agree with the comments that Tex is the best defender in the league. I don't even think he is the best defender at the club - Bauer is far superior IMO.

Rudd
    Solly Bauer Pearce Fox
    Holmes Ulvestad Jackson Botaka
    Lookman Magennis

is the line up I think we should be using.
  • Scoham said:

Time to give an u23 a go? Charles-Cook, Muldoon, Aribo, Dijksteel? We were in this situation before Cousins broke through, and as was the case back then, any of them have at least got to have more pace and energy than the current lot.
    Muldoon has just signed for Braintree on loan.
  • Tex scored 2 for the U23s!
  • Liar & 2shits *he doesn't give Two shits about Charlton* are taking Charlton down. Bung Tex in and Ba anyway.
  • Only an idiot would not play him. Oh.... I now see the issue!
  • CAFCsayer said:

Tex not starting is fucking ridiculous... He was first choice centre-back in the Champions League two years ago

He played in the U23 game yesterday, scored 2 from close range and gave away a penalty.

One observer wrote on that thread something like, "Tex looked like he's still doing his pre-season".