Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rubbish as a Player - Good Manager

Comments

• Di Canio
  • Jose Mourinho and Alex Ferguson

Hate to say it but would you put Alan Pardew in this category? Or would he be Okay Player / Okay Manager?
  • Iain Dowie
  • Jose Mourinho and Alex Ferguson

Hate to say it but would you put Alan Pardew in this category? Or would he be Okay Player / Okay Manager?

Rubbish player, rubbish manager and an awful person
  • dizzee said:

Iain Dowie

Dowie wasnt rubbish as a Player... After all he was a Premier League Striker with West Ham
  • Tony Pulis: third and fourth divisions as a player from what I remember.
  • LenGlover said:

Tony Pulis: third and fourth divisions as a player from what I remember.

Thats a difficult one though as was he a rubbish player or was he a good player at his level?

You could say that Keith Peacock was a rubbish player because he never played in the top flight for us (?) yet spent his whole career around the Second / Third Division
  • Arsene Wenger mostly played only in amateur leagues.
  • Lucky he got in their first team. Have that professor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pardew wasn't a rubbish player, FA Cup finalist, and scored many goals for us. Dowie was an international and played in the top flight

To me it would be people like Lennie, Mourinho, Wenger who had no or little professional playing career

Ferguson had a decent but unfulfilled playing career, a bit like Curbishley, where they probably felt they never achieved their full potential. I imagine this drove them on as managers
  • edited September 2016
    Ferguson & Morinho are the 2 that stand out. Hodgson also. Possibly Klopp, although I think he played in the German top division?
  • Brendan Rodgers, depending on your view of him as a manager.
  • Joachim Low was a bit of a second division journeyman but he's won himself a World Cup as manager
  • Fergie rubbish as a player?

I know that it was only Scotland but he did manage to score 171 goals in 317 appearances including 25 in 41 for Rangers as well as 45 in 51 for Dunfermiline in one season when he was top scorer in the Scottish League.
  • Joachim Low was a bit of a second division journeyman but he's won himself a World Cup as manager

Same with Jurgen Klopp with those who listened to him talking on MNF the other day
  • Karel Fraeye
  • What about Villas Boas?
  • Fergie rubbish as a player?

I know that it was only Scotland but he did manage to score 171 goals in 317 appearances including 25 in 41 for Rangers as well as 45 in 51 for Dunfermiline in one season when he was top scorer in the Scottish League.

This. Fergie was a top marksman in his day.
  • On a similar line, who would we consider to be a great player and a great manager? Pep?
  • Sponsored links:

• Simeone too, not being managing for the longest time but achieved a lot so far.
  • On a similar line, who would we consider to be a great player and a great manager? Pep?

Ronald Koeman?
  • LenGlover said:

Thats a difficult one though as was he a rubbish player or was he a good player at his level?

You could say that Keith Peacock was a rubbish player because he never played in the top flight for us (?) yet spent his whole career around the Second / Third Division
    Surely it's not down to what league he is in but how well he plays in his league. Some element of consistency in form surely makes someone a great player even if its in a lower league?
  • Kevin Foley.

Will be next Charlton managed and lead us to promotion this season.
  • Alan Curbishley - I thought he was a really shite player.
  • edited September 2016

LenGlover said:

Surely 'rubbish' player is a relative term though?

I wouldn't mind betting that Kent League players are 'good' compared to most of us on here for example!

Pulis has spent around 10 years managing 2,3,4 tiers above the level he played at.

Sir Keith Peacock never did that. His managerial career as MANAGER (rather than assistant manager as he was under Curbs) was spent at or below the level he played at.
  • LenGlover said:

Surely it's not down to what league he is in but how well he plays in his league. Some element of consistency in form surely makes someone a great player even if its in a lower league?
    Thats what I meant
  • Eddie Howe
  • edited October 2016

On a similar line, who would we consider to be a great player and a great manager? Pep?

Ronald Koeman?
    Harsh. was a good player.

However his managerial careers is dubious. Never seems to stay anywhere for more than 2 seasons.
  • ashley said:

Eddie Howe

Really? He didn't just play almost 300 games in the League for Bournemouth but also was an England U21 International.

Wish I'd been that "rubbish".